Australian Pension Over 13 Weeks This Year

mickjn

Greetings Ladys and Gentlemen,

I was wondering if someone can give me some help in this matter.

I have been to Thailand 13 weeks this year so I cannot go again

I have been invited to a wedding mid October up country in Thailand and I am going to attend.I will get 30 days on arrival,of which I will use up and leave Land of Smiles the day that 30 days are up

I was wondering if anyone knows does my disability pension stop as soon as I leave Australia or when I come back into Australia.The main concern I have is not the pension is if it stops, do I automaitcally get my pension on my return or do I have to go to the doctors as fill in all the forms again.

Thank you

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the DSP stops immediately you leave the country. I'd check with Centrelink, but I think you'd have to advise them when you return and your DSP will start again.

Thank you Sir

Don't take my word for it though, ring Centrelink to be sure. I know the rules governing DSP's are changing.

OP: Following may assist. if not clear enough, contact Centrelink. In any case if I were you I would contact Centrelink just to clarify if it's a maximum of 13 weeks a year or for each temporary overseas visit.

http://www.humanserv...e-australia#a12

EDIT: From Centrelink site "When you leave Australia temporarily, you can usually continue to receive your DSP payments for up to 13 weeks while you are away".

Edited by simple1

OP: Following may assist. if not clear enough, contact Centrelink. In any case if I were you I would contact Centrelink just to clarify if it's a maximum of 13 weeks a year or for each temporary overseas visit.

http://www.humanserv...e-australia#a12

EDIT: From Centrelink site "When you leave Australia temporarily, you can usually continue to receive your DSP payments for up to 13 weeks while you are away".

OK Thank you Sir,now I understand a bit better.

Disability Support Pension

If you leave Australia to live in another country you will not be able to receive the Disability Support Pension (DSP) in the other country, unless you:

• are terminally ill and are leaving Australia permanently to be with or near a family member, or to return to your country of origin, or
  • left Australia prior to 1 July 2004, and at the time of leaving you were told that you could be paid indefinitely, and you have not returned to Australia to live since that time
  • have been assessed in Australia prior to the departure as having a permanent, severe impairment and no future work capacity. Assessment involves a review of your DSP qualification and a Job Capacity Assessment.

In these cases, DSP can be paid for the total period that you are overseas. However, the amount that you receive may change.

When you leave Australia temporarily, you can usually continue to receive your DSP payments for up to 13 weeks while you are away.

DSP may be paid for a part, or all of the period of absence if you:

• are studying outside Australia as part of a full-time Australian course, or
  • are severely disabled and dependent on and living with, a family member who has been temporarily posted to work outside Australia by their Australian employer.

If you stop receiving your DSP under the rules mentioned above when you leave Australia, you may be able to get a DSP from the country you are going to if it has a social security agreement with Australia that covers DSP. However, this normally requires you to be 'severely disabled'.

If you are travelling to New Zealand, your rate may be affected by the social security agreement between Australia and New Zealand.

For more information, such as whether the country that you are going to has a social security agreement with Australia, go to Countries that have a agreements with Australia[2] or call International Services on 131 673.

Payments can be paid for temporary absences of up to 13 weeks outside Australia in most circumstances.

You can check on line for all other DSP items on the site below.

http://www.humanserv...tside-australia

Hope this is a help.

OZEMADE

Thank you Sir from what I am reading it is not 13 weeks a year it is 13 weeks then you have to return to Australia then you can go again.That is why from the first of January next year it is cut back to 6 weeks.I only want another 4 this week.To be honest I could go up country do what I have to do and leave LOS in a week but I would rather use my 30 days.Thanks to you and everyone else for there replys

You can leave for 13 weeks at a time until 1-1-2013, then they are cutting it back to 6 weeks. Call C/L international & let them know you are leaving and call them when you return to OZ. You will still receive your pension while you are away. If you have any problems contact Welfare Rights in your Capitol City.

http://www.welfarerights.org.au/default.aspx

You can also get a lot of useful information from the Australian Pensioner web site.

http://www.australianpensioner.org/

you can leave and still get your pension , when you go back you can just about leave straight away and still comtinue to get it . After the new year new laws come in .They will close this loophole as they put it .They say it saves them money and keeps the taxpapyers happy.

If you are living in Aus then you will get rent allowance , phone allowance , medical help , electric discount and gas. cheap rego, and many other benifits. If you decide to come here you dont get any of these , so what the hell are they worried about a few disable people going to live overseas when they can actually save money. Thats the goverment for you

you can leave and still get your pension , when you go back you can just about leave straight away and still comtinue to get it . After the new year new laws come in .They will close this loophole as they put it .They say it saves them money and keeps the taxpapyers happy.

If you are living in Aus then you will get rent allowance , phone allowance , medical help , electric discount and gas. cheap rego, and many other benifits. If you decide to come here you dont get any of these , so what the hell are they worried about a few disable people going to live overseas when they can actually save money. Thats the goverment for you

Ah!, but you will be spending all your benefits in Australia, not Thailand.

What are the new laws?

What are the new laws?

You will only be allowed one trip out of Australia per year. Not sure if it's for 13 or 6 weeks, but if you have more than that your DSP is stopped the minute you leave.

What are the new laws?

You will only be allowed one trip out of Australia per year. Not sure if it's for 13 or 6 weeks, but if you have more than that your DSP is stopped the minute you leave.

Thanks. It's not surprising the government is toughening up the rules with 700,000 Australians claiming DSP.

What are the new laws?

Thanks. It's not surprising the government is toughening up the rules with 700,000 Australians claiming DSP.

Not to mention all the illegal immigrants bleeding the system dry.

@giddyup - why do you have to introduce the subject of "illegal immigrants" to this topic -completely unnecessary.

Why did you have to mention that there are 700,000 people claiming DSP? That has no bearing on what the OP asked either.

@giddyup - why do you have to introduce the subject of "illegal immigrants" to this topic -completely unnecessary.

Why did you have to mention that there are 700,000 people claiming DSP? That has no bearing on what the OP asked either.

Poster kevvy referred to DSP quote "so what the hell are they worried about a few disable people going to live"

Poster kevvy referred to DSP quote "so what the hell are they worried about a few disable people going to live"

Yes, but as Kevvy just said, only 742 living overseas. They should be screening the other 699,258 in Australia a bit more carefully I would have thought.

Edited by giddyup

there are 742 DSP living overseas , it is not what you can call alot of people , and next year it will be only six weeks, go to this site

http://www/australia...ner.org then go to DSP changes you will find out on this site , as posted before.

Thanks for clarification

EDIT: You can understand govt policy re limitations on overseas payment for DSP recipients, but don't agree if DSP recipients are classified as permanently unable to work.

Edited by simple1

• 2 weeks later...

As I was curious as to what Medicare would actually say ... I asked them the direct question of the OP.

It took some time, but here is their reply ...

Re: Do you lose eligibility for Medicare if ...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email dated 7 September 2012.

If a person has been residing overseas for more than 5 years (from date of original departure) they will need to go to a service centre when they return to Australia. They will be asked to show their passport and proof of residency. Proof of residency may be supported by, but not limited to, rates notices, a rental contract, employment contract and back statements. Please produce as many documents as possible to support your application.

For your convenience, I have attached a copy of an Enrolment application form and the Returning Residents Information sheet:

Applications for a card can be mailed to Medicare. If the application is lodged by mail, certified copies of identification and proof of residency documents should be attached.

Applications can be mailed to :

Department of Human Services

GPO Box 9822

in your capital city

If you have never had a Medicare card it is compulsory to attend a service centre for all persons over the age of 14 years. If there is no service centre within a reasonable distance from your place of residence, you can send the Enrolment Application by mail. In this case, please photocopy your identification and/or documents and have the documents certified as 'true copies of the original documents' before mailing it to the following address:

Copies of the original documents must be endorsed as a 'true copy of the original' documents and will need to include the signature, address or office of one of the following:

• a Justice of the Peace

• Commissioner for Declarations

• Commissioner of Affidavits

• person authorised under State Law

• solicitor

• registered medical practitioner

• bank manager or postal manager

A resident is a person who residents permanently in Australia. We are unable to give any information regarding Centrelink.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Colleen ********

Service Officer, Enquiry Resolution

Provider Services Branch

Australian Government Department of Human Services

Parramatta Smart Centre

130 George St Parramatta 2150

PO box 9822 Sydney 2001

humanservices.gov.au

On 1 July 2011 Centrelink, Medicare Australia, Child Support Agency and CRS Australia were integrated into the federal Department of Human Services. Learn more at humanservices.gov.au

Plus they attached 2 forms to their email which can be directly accessed by clicking ...

and

hope that helps.

EDIT:- Email Font

Edited by David48