Double Pricing Policy In Restaurant

ROBINPATTAYA

I have been to this buffet several tmes since it opened. I have never been charged more then my wife. I will say the recently changed names and i have not eaten there since......Also the fish behind bigc north and the one on 3rd near pattaya nua never a problem.....

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And is that powered by all your hot air?

I wish, it's on electric but it's not so bad as I pay gov rate and don't use AC at all, only a small fan smile.png

So I take it then you NEVER sit down and eat in a restaurant here if you think 150thb for a meal is "bloody expensive".

• Like 1

And is that powered by all your hot air?

I wish, it's on electric but it's not so bad as I pay gov rate and don't use AC at all, only a small fan smile.png

So I take it then you NEVER sit down and eat in a restaurant here if you think 150thb for a meal is "bloody expensive".

Sometimes I go to McDonald's and order 1 or 2 hamburgers at 27 baht a piece or I eat at some Thai food stall for 30-40 baht. I don't really need more, I rather have a few tap beers in a gogo bar than waste money on fancy dining biggrin.png

Edited by yoslim

You are all missing the point, there is a price for Thais & a different price for farangs for the same BBQ meal.

If you are happy with that, fair enough.

The meal is cheap, that isn't the issue here, it is ripping off farangs at every opportunity.

Same as Nong Nuch, a 2 tiered pricing structure.

You're wasting your time complaining about it. If you had a long enough whinge they could put your partner's price up to the Farang price. You should be happy you got a discount for your partner.

It's been established that at 150 it's a very good deal. If everyone starts getting upset about the Thai discount they'll just charge everyone 150.

Although you say your partner eats less than you, this is not the norm. Generally 40 plus kg women eat less than their partners.

Well, considering the average 100 kilo + male farang will probably eat at least 3 times as much as the average 45 kilo female Thai, maybe a price differential is not totally unjustified.ermm.gif

Just my two penneth, although I'm not generally in favour of two tier pricing.

If the OP is correct, I suspect there was a menu was in Thai quoting 129 Baht and the menu in English quoting 150 Baht.

Ah well, not really worth getting to het up about

TITsmile.png

You have over 7000 posts, so presumably you are VERY familiar with Thai women.

HAHAHAHAHAH!

Not many seem to get it... Objecting to two tiered pricing such as this is not about the amount its simply about principle and objecting to disrespectful and unequal treatment.

Don't worry, many people will agree with you as should have been obvious by reading through the replies here. Others can't see the point of getting stressed out and spoiling an occasion by whinging over a few baht. If my wife is charged less, then that can be considered a good thing.

Edited by tropo

If we all agree double pricing soon it will be 500 baht for farang because that's still cheap when converted in USD/EUR bah.gif

This is the usual way that the whingers justify their complaints - thinking that they're keeping the prices down.

It's probably only a few people complaining and no great loss to the restaurant if they decide to boycott.

When people go to a restaurant they know the prices. They're marked on the menu. If it's too expensive then the simple answer is to find somewhere cheaper to dine.

Edited by tropo

But in this case the menu didn't state any double pricing, the OP got ripped off thinking he was going to pay 129 baht like his wife and not 150. a 16% price increase is not something to take lightly sad.png

Edited by yoslim

Not many seem to get it... Objecting to two tiered pricing such as this is not about the amount its simply about principle and objecting to disrespectful and unequal treatment.

That is exactly the point I was making in the first post, you get that it is about the principle as well. We can afford to eat anywhere in Pattaya, it isn't about the money.

That is exactly the point I was making in the first post, you get that it is about the principle as well. We can afford to eat anywhere in Pattaya, it isn't about the money.

And just imagine this. If we were in the USA, Australia or the UK for example and you walked into a restaurant and the menu said Local People $20 for a New York Steak and next it it read For Asians $28 for the same steak there would be an outcry of racism, but yeah I guess we are in Thailand and it's ok. Just ask your Thai partners how they would feel having to pay twice as much in farangland for the same meal. Double pricing is just crazy and we should do anything we can to stop it.

And just imagine this. If we were in the USA, Australia or the UK for example and you walked into a restaurant and the menu said Local People $20 for a New York Steak and next it it read For Asians $28 for the same steak there would be an outcry of racism, but yeah I guess we are in Thailand and it's ok. Just ask your Thai partners how they would feel having to pay twice as much in farangland for the same meal. Double pricing is just crazy and we should do anything we can to stop it.

I have been here a long time and have yet to experience any double pricing when it comes to food and restaurants. Anytime I hear of such practice, my first question is WHERE. I want to go for myself and see if this is truly what is going on. I'm still not convinced that dbl pricing at the restaurant mentioned in the OP is what's going on. I've been here long enough to realize that mis-communication/understanding is very very common here. I will be taking my family to this restaurant as it's not too far from my house and will report back if in fact the policy is to charge non-thais a higher price for the same meal as a Thai eats.

• Like 2

If I wasn't comfortable with double pricing I wouldn't be living in Thailand to be honest.

Why did you get 2 separate bills anyways? Or was it 1 bill and they just added the extra whatever it was to one person?

I'm not being totally sarcastic but want to know if her/your bill was only for food and you had no drinks etc.? If you had drinks, ice etc. then what is the price just for the BBQ?

once upon a time a husband and his wife went for dinner in a fancy Pattaya restaurant which serves exquisite delicacies but charges exorbitant prices, e.g. AU$4.01 for a lady dinner and AU$ 4.66 for a gentleman dinner. adding insult to injury said fancy restaurant issued separate bills...

av-11672.gif

If you could, for once, stop being condescending, you would realize that the issue here is not 21Bor 50B or whatever. The OP has already repeated that it is about double pricing in principle. But I understand it would go against your nature just trying to be kind and to help people even when it would not cost you anything. Trying to be funny on others' expense is just your thing.

• Like 2

If I wasn't comfortable with double pricing I wouldn't be living in Thailand to be honest.

Why did you get 2 separate bills anyways? Or was it 1 bill and they just added the extra whatever it was to one person?

I'm not being totally sarcastic but want to know if her/your bill was only for food and you had no drinks etc.? If you had drinks, ice etc. then what is the price just for the BBQ?

once upon a time a husband and his wife went for dinner in a fancy Pattaya restaurant which serves exquisite delicacies but charges exorbitant prices, e.g. AU$4.01 for a lady dinner and AU$ 4.66 for a gentleman dinner. adding insult to injury said fancy restaurant issued separate bills...

av-11672.gif

If you could, for once, stop being condescending, you would realize that the issue here is not 21Bor 50B or whatever. The OP has already repeated that it is about double pricing in principle. But I understand it would go against your nature just trying to be kind and to help people even when it would not cost you anything. Trying to be funny on others' expense is just your thing.

Since when was 150 double 129 ????

• Like 1

150 BAHT? Holy moly batman that's cheap. I will be heading there tonight and probably many more nights. I'm not sure if it the "Ninja" franchise or a different name but that's still cheaper than Ninja by 49 baht.

And she ate BBQ for only 129 baht for real? That is awesome !!!!!!

PS: This is the kind of BBQ like Ninja on second rd Pattaya Nua or behind Big-C Sukhumvit right? Where you cook all your own food and as much as you can eat for 1 price?

You are all missing the point, there is a price for Thais & a different price for farangs for the same BBQ meal.

If you are happy with that, fair enough.

The meal is cheap, that isn't the issue here, it is ripping off farangs at every opportunity.

Same as Nong Nuch, a 2 tiered pricing structure.

I totally understands you, i hate it just as much as you... Same thing happen to me today on the Navy beach in Sattahip... Not much overcharge, but still enough to piss me off... Nong Nuch Tropical gardens on the other hand i paid same price as Thai's .. I just showed them my Thai drivers license ;) but the 2 girls on visit from Vietnam had to pay "full" farang price... That made my day tongue.png

They simply don't get it

That is Thai mentality, the same as when business is slow, they put prices up to cover the loss, Thai Economics 101....

They may have been watching farang economics 101 in action as the Eurozone and America go in and out of recession and teeter on the brink of fiscal disaster, banks collapse, unemployment skyrockets, people lose their homes and savings, protestors in the streets as governments call for austerity, etc. and decided that the farang economic model was too excellent for them to be able to emulate.

Go figure.

av-11672.gif

Since when was 150 double 129 ????

Tanaka maths? huh.png

And you don't think the O/P is condescending and using what should be a minor irritation (it's still Baht 21 whether or not you want to elevate it to some lofty matter of principle) as an opportunity to bash Thais generally?

They simply don't get it

That is Thai mentality, the same as when business is slow, they put prices up to cover the loss, Thai Economics 101....

Dual (not double) pricing is probably not that great an idea, assuming that is what took place. Since this couple ate together, it should be assumed that the discount for the Thai lady would be a discount for the farang who was paying anyway. But most of the people who implement these policies are probably unaware of how petty some farang are. They are probably not all that sophisticated or well educated in issues that send some farang into apoplectic fits. It would have made more sense to charge them both Baht 150.

Nothing is gained and no one is "trying to be kind and to help people" when they relentless bash Thais in order to inflate their own pathetic egos.

Dual pricing does exist. It probably causes more trouble than it's worth to anyone. If someone feels it's a problem, why not "try to be kind and to help people" by calmly explaining that to the restaurant owner rather than exploding in a rant of dubious righteous indignation? If he doesn't see the point of the complaint, then just go somewhere else to eat and leave it at that. Not every little irritation needs to be blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

av-11672.gif

there is no help for people who whine about the "principle" of 21 Baht. different prices for different groups are charged all over the world.

-having been a Florida resident my entry to one of the theme parks would have been a fraction than entries charged for non-FL residents.

-i am paying for the studies of one of my nephews in a Singapore University. cost for a Singaporean SGD 8,400, for a foreigner SGD 23,800 per annum!

now tell me again a story about "principle" whistling.gif

• Like 1

it's not the same when there is dual pricing for something that gets public money, the tax payer gets a discount which seems fair .

In the OP case the only reason for dual pricing is "let's rip off the farang" sad.png

that's a matter of perspective. one could also say "give the tiny benefit of 21 Baht discount to a Thai."

using the diction "rip off" in context with 21 Baht is and will always remain an utmost ridiculous "principle"... notwithstanding the fact that in your case it might even apply.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel that some people aren't cut out to live in Thailand. The rules here are 'flexible' and in the main work to your advantage yet some people seem to get wound up about paying a few baht more for a meal because they are a foreigner or, as is being discussed in another thread, suffering 'horror' because customs have actually charged the correct amount of duty/vat for importing some vitamins. Heaven forbid they are up stopped by the police for driving a motorbike without a helmet or licence. There are many risks that go with living here and not having the protections we have come to take for granted in our homelands but the day I have to open a thread about being charged 21 baht more for a meal than my wife I would hope that someone would tell me to get a grip.

• Like 2

I can't help but feel that some people aren't cut out to live in Thailand.

You got that right. The day I start making a song and dance over 21 baht is the day I should leave Thailand.

In this case the OP actually benefited from the discount.