"no Entry" Signs On Backed Up Folders?

cheeryble

Hi there

Last night I backed up my Macbook.

I had removed partitions on my external HD and started Time Machine late last night.

This morning it was done.....but as far as the user data is concerned

(I seem to have two main user folders....think perhaps I created the second whilst trying to do this backup last January...one is JOHN one is JW)

JOHN seems to be fine.

JW has on some of the folders.....not all, but some important ones like Movies, Documents, Desktop, Music.....a little tiny "no entry" red sign, and it "Cannot be opened because you don't have permission to see it's contents"

Help please?

As an addendum, in the first, no no-entry file JOHN, most movies are OK but when I click a Deadwood episode, hte video is a mess and it plays out just the first few seconds as if that's the full length of the episode on the timing bar.

Cheers

This simply means you may not have permission to open the folder (no entry sign).

Use the 'Get Info' option on the folder and make sure full read/write permissions are set for all users on the system. and then choose 'Apply to enclosed items' and see if that helps.

This simply means you may not have permission to open the folder (no entry sign).

Use the 'Get Info' option on the folder and make sure full read/write permissions are set for all users on the system. and then choose 'Apply to enclosed items' and see if that helps.

Thankyou Ian and sorry for slow reply I'm on the case now....

I have "got info" on an example or two of the no entry folders (they seem to be the folders which come as standard in OSX....I can access folders I have myself created)

Under SHARING AND PERMISSIONS

it says "you have no access"

There are then two names, jw and everyone.

jw says Read and Write

Everyone says no access.

I then click the padlock underneatht o open it, and change both to Read and Write, click return when it asks for administrator password (no password, just return).

Everything looks hunky dory but it don't let me this or next time, Still "you have no access.