Ios 6 Maps In Thailand

ubonrthai

Correct me if I'm wrong or missing a setting but it appears that most roads and many important places such as schools and hospitals that used to be in English are now in Thai script with the change from Google Maps to Apple's own Maps app. Even Sukhumvit Road is in Thai script. This is with the "Always English" setting turned on in the maps settings. Directions are still just as bad as Google's were though I've only tried searching a few routes. The app itself seems much quicker to load than Google's. I also like that only part of the moat in Chiang Mai has water in it. smile.png Any other observations?

post-103222-0-03439000-1348083476_thumb.post-103222-0-80145000-1348083490_thumb.post-103222-0-61161700-1348083503_thumb.post-103222-0-52986300-1348083518_thumb.

Edited by ubonrthai

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another one: No traffic in the new Maps app for Bangkok, which the previous version had. No English for Thailand. Upcountry maps do not have nearly the resolution when in satellite or hybrid view. No public transit information - anywhere. No street view.

I realise that Apple and Google are having their issues with one another, but the new iOS maps is a giant step backward. I am definitely reverting to a Google Maps web app, but that still will not bring back the functionality of the old iOS Maps app. Not happy with this "update".

I remember that when Google maps first came out, the maps were all in Thai too. It was totally useless to people like me who can't read Thai. I even sent them an email complaining about it at the time.

Thankfully that changed. Let's send lots of iOS maps feedback to Apple so they'll fix those things quickly... Google Maps app should come out pretty soon too.

Edit: It's a classic case of things having to get worse before they can get better... Apple in control of maps means they can improve it. Google meant stagnation.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

I was just using the new maps to browse northern Thailand. Detail is incredibly lacking from the iOS 5 Google-based maps. And some of the satellite maps are in black and white....not colour! In other places, the satellite maps are at very low resolution, where the old app had much higher resolution.

Many critical reviews are popping up blasting the new app, and even BBC are slamming it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19659736

There are a lot of upset users discovering that the old app has vanished, only to be irreversibly replaced by a new app that really seems inferior in so many ways and not ready for prime time. Personally, I think this will be a major fail for Apple.

Here's another one: No traffic in the new Maps app for Bangkok, which the previous version had. No English for Thailand. Upcountry maps do not have nearly the resolution when in satellite or hybrid view. No public transit information - anywhere. No street view.

I realise that Apple and Google are having their issues with one another, but the new iOS maps is a giant step backward. I am definitely reverting to a Google Maps web app, but that still will not bring back the functionality of the old iOS Maps app. Not happy with this "update".

I don't think so. I think this Maps app will be vastly superior. Since it is an Apple app, I can't wait to see how this will be integrated throughout the OS.

Just give it time.

You're comparing one of Google's crowning achievements with a brand new Apple App.

Just give it some time and you'll see.

Um, guys, this is looking WAY worse than I thought.

I mean OK so the 3D mapping software has some bad glitches, but whats worse is there seems to be tons of plain wrong information on places in there.

Ios6 maps even got its own parody blog on tumbler - head over there for some laughs:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

I read somewhere that its worth keeping in mind that Apple services are not the same as their hardware releases. Apple hardware is hit after hit after hit, its reasonable to expect any new hardware from them to be fantastic. Apple services, on the other hand, have always been problematic, and have often not worked properly at launch. As seems to be the case here. There is no excuse for a lot of this, they have data and I cant believe that the data that they bought is _that_ bad.

Edited by nikster

I don't think so. I think this Maps app will be vastly superior. Since it is an Apple app, I can't wait to see how this will be integrated throughout the OS.

Just give it time.

You're comparing one of Google's crowning achievements with a brand new Apple App.

So the question is: how long will we have to wait until we get a maps app that is even close to what we just lost?

I just don't understand why Apple were so eager to ditch the Google-based app for this failure. Given the loss of features, inaccurate data, useless search feature, low quality maps, no street view, etc., this new map app doesn't even measure up to beta quality to me.

I don't mean to come off as an anti-Apple fanatic. I've had an iPhone since the first one, been using Apple computers for 20 years and own three of them now, and have always very much enjoyed the experience. I don't want a Samsung. But I do think the failure of such an important app as Maps is doubly disappointing to someone such as myself.

Just give it time.

So the question is: how long will we have to wait until we get a maps app that is even close to what we just lost?

I just don't understand why Apple were so eager to ditch the Google-based app for this failure. Given the loss of features, inaccurate data, useless search feature, low quality maps, no street view, etc., this new map app doesn't even measure up to beta quality to me.

I don't mean to come off as an anti-Apple fanatic. I've had an iPhone since the first one, been using Apple computers for 20 years and own three of them now, and have always very much enjoyed the experience. I don't want a Samsung. But I do think the failure of such an important app as Maps is doubly disappointing to someone such as myself.

I don't know how long it will take a brand new app to be the same as one of Google's jewels that they've been working on and putting so much effort through all these years. Just give it time.

I'm sure in a few months Google Maps will be available on the App Store if it's that important to you. I think their own Maps app can be integrated in a more powerful way than a Google app.

Also, they want to cut ties with Google, the maker of Android. So, they just CUT, maps and youtube. Gone. That's it.

You can always use your Safari browser on the iPhone and go to Google Maps. Same maps, different interface.

Edited by thaicruze

I remember that when Google maps first came out, the maps were all in Thai too. It was totally useless to people like me who can't read Thai. I even sent them an email complaining about it at the time.

Thankfully that changed. Let's send lots of iOS maps feedback to Apple so they'll fix those things quickly... Google Maps app should come out pretty soon too.

Edit: It's a classic case of things having to get worse before they can get better... Apple in control of maps means they can improve it. Google meant stagnation.

I bet this will all go away in iOS 6.1 or 6.1.1 or something like that. I bet Apple already has Apple Maps that are just if not even more powerful. Tim has an iPhone 6 running iOS 7 and he's laughing his ass off.

I'm surprised you can even use them considering the ios6 upgrade is apparently knackering Wifi on a whole slew of Apple devices. I did chuckle at this though:

The Apple app also has a tendency to judge landscape features by their names. For instance, it marks the hulking Madison Square Garden arena in New York as green park space because of the word "Garden" in its name. The TD Garden football stadium in Boston gets the same treatment.

Conversely, Apple Maps marks "Airfield Gardens," a farm and plant nursery in Dublin, Ireland, as an airfield. This prompted the country's Justice Minister, Alan Shatter, to warn pilots on Thursday not to land there.

"Clearly the designation is not only wrong but is dangerously misleading in that it could result in a pilot, unfamiliar with the area, in an emergency situation and without other available information, attempting a landing," he said.

Edited by Chicog

The Apple maps application has sparked a lot of fun around the world.

Here is few:

sWtsN.jpg

tumblr_maok9ngDbA1rhptwbo1_1280.jpg

Btw. There is a way to downgrade to iOS 5 in case you upgraded to iOS 6 already.

Just give it time.

I don't know how long it will take a brand new app to be the same as one of Google's jewels that they've been working on and putting so much effort through all these years. Just give it time.

I'm sure in a few months Google Maps will be available on the App Store if it's that important to you. I think their own Maps app can be integrated in a more powerful way than a Google app.

Also, they want to cut ties with Google, the maker of Android. So, they just CUT, maps and youtube. Gone. That's it.

You can always use your Safari browser on the iPhone and go to Google Maps. Same maps, different interface.

Thank you. Thaicruze. I think we were already aware of all that.

Give it time? I believe that is a comment usually given to buggy betas, long before they go GM. Sort of like the new Maps app.

BTW, Google's new Map app is already with Apple for review and approval. This will be interesting...all Google has to do is release the same Maps that was in iOS 5, everyone will download it, and Apple will have an extremely red face. I bet Cupertino is finding all sort of problems with the new Google Maps app right now, thus slowing approval.

I'm just looking around my neighbourhood in Bangkok, and I'm seeing businesses listed (in English) that were shut between five and ten years ago. Where did they get these data?

Interestingly, I am seeing POIs listed in English, but all street names are only shown in Thai.

There's apparently no airport in Ubon...

post-103222-13482244248503_thumb.jpgpost-103222-13482244460099_thumb.jpg

I think the only airports listed in Thailand are Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Chiang Mai,Phuket.

But your airport is right there. Airports are the pink/mauve blob on the map under "no results found". It just doesn't say Airport yet.

Just wait. It's already marked as an airport as you can see from the color.

806441D7-BEC4-4310-B372-A90F71E3ACC5-10927-000002C7D2ED1E07_zps6559c434.jpg

E7F5D964-E761-4181-8A2C-FC517D1A72C2-10927-000002C8D23892CF_zpsdb12cb0c.jpg

Same issue in Krabi

395A187C-2D43-4324-B571-B8439F3BEAB2-10951-000002C98B1E5E21_zpscc5a0263.jpg

Edited by thaicruze

Zooming into Koh Chang is interesting

4BB78F99-C6E1-4F16-9A4B-A5B79F12B85D-10951-000002CC526B1A64_zps263a1a0c.jpg

C851F6D9-F288-4E96-887C-BF24D298FEAC-10951-000002CC4CA5405D_zps2703d38b.jpg

048ACBE8-52D2-46E2-97EC-48FCBA3CEEB6-10951-000002CC57B57968_zps4b97d4e5.jpg

It's like they took pictures from different times and different sources and stitched them together.

They have a lot more work to do. They should've worked on it 1 more year and just take it out and say "download your own". Like they did with YouTube.

Or better yet. Buy Nokia. Put them out of their misery and port their Maps to iPhone.

Edited by thaicruze

As far as I remember Nokia maps have a pretty long history, too. Apples mistake was to not start building theirs right away in 2007.

I remember trying Nokia maps in 2006 or so in Phuket - it showed my location and the island of Phuket, but no streets or points of interest...