• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zooming into Koh Chang is interesting

4BB78F99-C6E1-4F16-9A4B-A5B79F12B85D-10951-000002CC526B1A64_zps263a1a0c.jpg

C851F6D9-F288-4E96-887C-BF24D298FEAC-10951-000002CC4CA5405D_zps2703d38b.jpg

048ACBE8-52D2-46E2-97EC-48FCBA3CEEB6-10951-000002CC57B57968_zps4b97d4e5.jpg

It's like they took pictures from different times and different sources and stitched them together.

They have a lot more work to do. They should've worked on it 1 more year and just take it out and say "download your own". Like they did with YouTube.

Or better yet. Buy Nokia. Put them out of their misery and port their Maps to iPhone.

Same for Koh Phangan. The only + is that the map is updated a few years back (google on Phangan around 2001)

All you have to do is go to maps.google.com in safari and bookmark to homepage. You now have a web app with ALL the functionality of the old maps app. Now there's a choice of 2.

Some things to consider:

1) it'll be good for Google to have some competition finally.

2) it wasn't necessarily 100% Apple's call to drop maps. As with YouTube, Google also wanted to drop it so that they can now run ads (they could not with old YouTube) in their new app. Same thing might be true here....Google wanted something Apple couldn't allow/provide.

All you have to do is go to maps.google.com in safari and bookmark to homepage. You now have a web app with ALL the functionality of the old maps app. Now there's a choice of 2.

Some things to consider:

1) it'll be good for Google to have some competition finally.

2) it wasn't necessarily 100% Apple's call to drop maps. As with YouTube, Google also wanted to drop it so that they can now run ads (they could not with old YouTube) in their new app. Same thing might be true here....Google wanted something Apple couldn't allow/provide.

Using a web app from maps.google.com will not provide you with street view, as did the iOS 5 Maps app. It's also much slower.

It would indeed be good for Google to have some competition. But the new Apple Maps app could hardly be considered competition, and it will be many years before they reach anything close to the Google Maps app that was canned.

I just updated to iOS6 now and am not a happy chappy. Major roads in Thai script, buildings that don't even exist now.... and most places I've checked out in Thailand don't even have any 3D buildings.

I have to say for a company that prides itself on a slick experience this is terrible. All I can say is if Google are planning a maps app for iOS then I'm sure many people would happily favour that over Apple's implementation.

I just updated to iOS6 now and am not a happy chappy. Major roads in Thai script, buildings that don't even exist now.... and most places I've checked out in Thailand don't even have any 3D buildings.

I have to say for a company that prides itself on a slick experience this is terrible. All I can say is if Google are planning a maps app for iOS then I'm sure many people would happily favour that over Apple's implementation.

Just download nostra map. its free. Does anybody bother with my posts regarding this?

i found nostra map on appstore, it looks like a logistics company. Their map has the most coverage of Thailand than any other company (including google)

Nostra is slow and not so beautiful but it does have Thai script along with English which is helpful. Google and Apple can't decide what language to use.

But it can find address easily and can route directions (not as good as google but anyway). 830k poi in thailand included

After moving from Blackberry to Iphone I have come to a conclusion that apple make very good hardware and very good iOS but they do not make very good apps, and if they did then everytime I take a photo i wouldnt have to rotate it on my PC, if anyone actually needs to use GPS then i suggest Sygic asia much better than maps, garmin or TomTom

After moving from Blackberry to Iphone I have come to a conclusion that apple make very good hardware and very good iOS but they do not make very good apps, and if they did then everytime I take a photo i wouldnt have to rotate it on my PC, if anyone actually needs to use GPS then i suggest Sygic asia much better than maps, garmin or TomTom

FYI the whole "rotating" issue is because your PC can't parse the (JPG EXIF standard) rotation flags on the image. Your PC is to blame here, not the phone. Microsoft fixed that in more recent versions of Windows. Older PCs can't display JPGs correctly - what can you say...

Btw. There is a way to downgrade to iOS 5 in case you upgraded to iOS 6 already.

Would be very grateful if you would share the method & more specifically does it also work for Ipad2 ?

My wife upgraded without checking on possible problems & has enough now that she would like to go back.

I did try downloading the IPSW file of iOS 5.1.1 from Apple’s servers

That went fine ....all 729 mb of it smile.png

But using Itunes to restore while holding the option key & then pointing it to the file it starts well but crashes.

Got the info here

http://www1.maclife....rade_back_ios_5

But as many others reported after using IOS6 you were told you then needed Itunes 10.7

So now there seems to be no way to go back? Seems once on Itunes 10.7 downgrading is not allowed?

Do you have any alternative routes?

Thank You for any info given.

Edited by mania

This is a thread about iOS, not Android and it's obvious support for Google maps and street view.

Understood.

My points, poorly presented, were specific to Thailand, Maps/Nav/Earth and iPhone.

Caching of maps has been disabled on Maps for Thailand, and many other countries. (However one can mod this feature.)

Navigation is not available for Thailand. (However one can mod. this feature.)

Google Earth (app.) appears to be unavailable for DL in Thailand, but can be side-loaded.

Streetview, for Thailand and specifically Bangkok, has been available for a while, and some may enjoy using it when it becomes available on the iPhone.

Personally I'd like to have a Garmin app., like you do for iOS, with Android. I'm using TSM 12.01 on my Garmin GPS, and believe that can be loaded onto the Garmin/iPhone combination?

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/09/21/garmin-capitalises-on-iphone-5-mapping-disaster/

http://www.iclarified.com/24728/garmin-updates-its-iphone-app-with-public-transit-directions-google-street-view

• Like 1

FYI the whole "rotating" issue is because your PC can't parse the (JPG EXIF standard) rotation flags on the image. Your PC is to blame here, not the phone. Microsoft fixed that in more recent versions of Windows. Older PCs can't display JPGs correctly - what can you say...

Please take a photo with the home button down(portrait) send it to anybody with a yahoo or hotmail email address, open it on any browser, on any pc or mac.......

and then come back and tell me its not the phones fault!!

• Like 1

Please take a photo with the home button down(portrait) send it to anybody with a yahoo or hotmail email address, open it on any browser, on any pc or mac.......

Not wanting to get into a pi##ing match, really just wanted to see what this was all about. I did what you suggested and interestingly when opened in my Apple mail it was orientated correctly. However when I logged into my Hotmail with Firefox you are correct it shows it in landscape. Weird.....

I remember that when Google maps first came out, the maps were all in Thai too. It was totally useless to people like me who can't read Thai. I even sent them an email complaining about it at the time.

Thankfully that changed. Let's send lots of iOS maps feedback to Apple so they'll fix those things quickly... Google Maps app should come out pretty soon too.

Edit: It's a classic case of things having to get worse before they can get better... Apple in control of maps means they can improve it. Google meant stagnation.

When I read your post I thought OK if part of the new Apple map is in Thai (I had not even open it) I will try to enter a name in Thai, I made a copy/paste of my wife village in North, it did work, one second and the little pin was... in a wrong place, but the name in Thai was not refused, So I entered กรุงเทพฯ and it works right, Bangkok, why did I do that because for some remote little place, it could be easier to have the right name in Thai, in English how do you translate with thr right spelling ?

its amazing people still recommend sluggish google maps on safari mobile. Turn by turn navigation is working in thailand as of this month. Map data is not that bad, its provided by tomtom. if you use a gps app in iphone, you should be familiar with it.

It's not the phone's fault.

Here is a pretty good explanation of what's happening: http://rydama.com/2012/05/02/why-is-my-picture-sideways/

Apple's stance on this is: We're not going to re-encode the image, because that results in a loss of quality. It also uses resources (e.g. battery). We're going to expect everyone to honor the orientation flag in the image. It's a classic example of when you have to choose between advancing technology or stagnation serving the lowest common denominator. Do you do the wrong thing just because some clients out there can't deal with the (standard) orientation flag? Typical Apple to move forward.

Why those websites don't do it - I have no idea. I've dealt with this orientation flag in my own software, and admittedly, it's annoying. But it's not hard. It might depend on the browser you are using. Try Chrome and see if you still have the issue.

Or get the app mentioned in the above article.