Ios 6 Maps In Thailand

ubonrthai

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

After moving from Blackberry to Iphone I have come to a conclusion that apple make very good hardware and very good iOS but they do not make very good apps, and if they did then everytime I take a photo i wouldnt have to rotate it on my PC, if anyone actually needs to use GPS then i suggest Sygic asia much better than maps, garmin or TomTom

FYI the whole "rotating" issue is because your PC can't parse the (JPG EXIF standard) rotation flags on the image. Your PC is to blame here, not the phone. Microsoft fixed that in more recent versions of Windows. Older PCs can't display JPGs correctly - what can you say...

Please take a photo with the home button down(portrait) send it to anybody with a yahoo or hotmail email address, open it on any browser, on any pc or mac.......

and then come back and tell me its not the phones fault!!

It's not the phone's fault.

Here is a pretty good explanation of what's happening: http://rydama.com/20...cture-sideways/

Apple's stance on this is: We're not going to re-encode the image, because that results in a loss of quality. It also uses resources (e.g. battery). We're going to expect everyone to honor the orientation flag in the image. It's a classic example of when you have to choose between advancing technology or stagnation serving the lowest common denominator. Do you do the wrong thing just because some clients out there can't deal with the (standard) orientation flag? Typical Apple to move forward.

Why those websites don't do it - I have no idea. I've dealt with this orientation flag in my own software, and admittedly, it's annoying. But it's not hard. It might depend on the browser you are using. Try Chrome and see if you still have the issue.

Or get the app mentioned in the above article.

It is the fault of the phone because even apple say the correct way to hold the phone in IOS5 onwards is with the volume buttons up( to use the new shutter feature) and if you do that the photo comes out upside down.

Secondly there is no flag for video files so browsers cannot respect it

I have solved it by using app camera + instead of the stupid stock app, at least that way you can take a picture any way you want and it will still come out correct, which is exactly what you want it to do!

It is the fault of the phone because even apple say the correct way to hold the phone in IOS5 onwards is with the volume buttons up( to use the new shutter feature) and if you do that the photo comes out upside down.

I am not sure you are understanding the basic issue. I just did a little test - Hotmail and Yahoo can't deal with the image. Gmail does the right thing and the image appears correct. Downloading the image from Hotmail or Yahoo, it appears correct.

Conclusion: Hotmail and Yahoo mail suck. Don't use those.

The iPhone 4 is currently the most popular camera. Not cell phone camera - camera, period. All the image uploading sites such as Flickr confirm this. So those two webmail clients cannot correctly display images from the world's most popular camera.

Maybe we can get back to talking about iOS 6 maps now? I've read some positive articles too, apparently the navigation is a bit better than Gmaps on Android.

I am not sure you are understanding the basic issue. I just did a little test - Hotmail and Yahoo can't deal with the image. Gmail does the right thing and the image appears correct. Downloading the image from Hotmail or Yahoo, it appears correct.

Conclusion: Hotmail and Yahoo mail suck. Don't use those.

The iPhone 4 is currently the most popular camera. Not cell phone camera - camera, period. All the image uploading sites such as Flickr confirm this. So those two webmail clients cannot correctly display images from the world's most popular camera.

Maybe we can get back to talking about iOS 6 maps now? I've read some positive articles too, apparently the navigation is a bit better than Gmaps on Android.

First of all it was the phone's fault now its the fault of the 2 biggest providers of webmail.. its just everybodys fault but apple's

I would not say the Iphone camera is the most popular camera, infact in my experience its totally crap at taking pictures.

Regardless of whos at fault common sense should tell apple that people dont want to have pictures that turn out incorrect, infact i would say 99% of the people using 'the world most popular camera' would prefer to be able to take a picture any which way they want and it would always turn out correct, its only the small (and av very very small) minority who want to intentionally take pics that come out sideways or upside down and they certainly wont use Iphone camera as preferred camera!

Back on topic, everyone should just ditch the not so good maps app and go for sygic much much better and ontop of that the maps is offline as is every other GPS mapping app like garmin, tomtom, sygic yet again Apple deliver a top notch app that is the exact opposite of what everyone wants

First of all it was the phone's fault now its the fault of the 2 biggest providers of webmail.. its just everybodys fault but apple's

Gmail is the biggest webmail provider. Hotmail and Yahoo are #2 and #3.

I would not say the Iphone camera is the most popular camera, infact in my experience its totally crap at taking pictures.

Flickr keeps statistics on how many % of the literally millions of photos uploaded daily are taken with which camera. #1 iPhone 4S, #2 iPhone 4, #3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II....

post-20814-0-72339800-1350901754_thumb.j

See: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Back on topic also: Maps+ has very good reviews. It's basically like the old maps app, based on Gmaps, and has some extra features on top of it. iOS 6 maps seems to improve very quickly.

• 1 month later...

Ok I guess now it's my turn to bash iOS 6 maps. Wow. In two words: Utterly useless.

I never installed iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 - and I won't do that, ever - but it came with my new iPhone 5, and I was going to Hong Kong for the first time. Good time to test maps. I have no clue about this city, I am trying to get around, and I got a cheap prepaid 3G SIM at the airport, good to go.

I was also - out of necessity - using Maps+ and Here maps, and Google Maps on the web. So I have a good comparison.

So here's the bad parts:

- Search doesn't work. "not found" for anything I tried.

- Almost no local data - there's about 5 times more information on building names, hotel names, and location information in general on Google maps.

- Zooming ... this is what killed it for me. Apple maps doesn't show enough information. It appears very "clean" - that's because it doesn't show ANY street names for small streets until you zoom right on top of them. Any time I was trying to orient myself, I had to zoom out to see where I am, then all the way in to see the street names around me. Useless. Hotel names don't appear until one clicks on the little icon, have fun hunting!

Google maps by comparison shows way more info, the map, especially of Hong Kong, looks much messier and busier as a result - and you can actually find things you're looking for.

Apple maps has really smooth graphics effects zooming in and out, it's way smoother than Gmaps. Pretty. But all for naught if it doesn't show the info I am looking for.

The only thing that worked on Apple maps was the MTR (subway) integration. Apple maps would open up the MTR app, and fill in the station stops I need to go.

A lot of those things would be easily fixable - for zooming, just copy what Google maps is doing, they've got that down.

Using the Google Maps web app is a very poor substitute for a real maps app. It's a bit like looking at a piece of static map, interactivity is cumbersome, slow, and error-prone. But - search works, so that's excellent.

Here maps - maybe good data, but the user interface makes it very hard to use.

Maps+: Using Google maps, but for reasons I am unable to guess totally messed up the UI. Just "one button" for everything, and it really does not work well at all.

Edited by nikster

• 2 months later...

Hi,

As of the last post in December it seems there are still problems with Apple Maps. Is that still true?

I, like Nikster in the last post have not upgraded my iPhone 4 to IOS 6 yet.

When the maps become better I will.

Another question: When I DO upgrade will my Google Maps bookmarked destinations be transferred to Apple Maps?

Thanks,

buzzer

Seems that using the "Report a Problem" button in iOS 6 maps is a complete waste of time. There are several POIs in my neighbourhood that are completely inaccurate, such as establishments that were shut more than five years ago, located in the wrong place on the map, and even establishments that never existed at all. Just to see what happened, I've reported five of them several times over the period of time since iOS 6 Maps was released to the present. To date, not one of them has been fixed.

Seems that Apple's focus on Maps is clearly somewhere other than in Bangkok.