A S/h German Car For 2M Baht, What Can I Get?

fish fingers

or rather, my thai GF. She had to give her motor over to the soon to be ex husband; budget is around 1.7 m, 2 at a stretch. What wd u choose? Something a bit sporty with 4 seats.

I was suggesting a Merc CLS but they look a bit over budget, around 2.3 mil upwards.

Edited by fish fingers

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have one and it is a blast, remapped it and it really pulls strong, especially when you are moving a bit and put the foot down....be with your GF if she drives it first time, as the power is quite strong for someone not used to.

I believe they do some promotions now (or had last month) for VW Thailand show cars and i was told they were about 1.9m Baht with less than 5,000km on them. Scirocco might be nice as well, not as practical...rather small seats in the back....but hey, could work. As for other options: Skoda vRS from DAD Thailand, comes with 5 years free maintenance and guarantee, has 180 hp and is a blast to drive as well. Not so much street cudos though.

And while we are on it, why not having a look at Citroen: The DS3 might be a bit small, but is chic, unfortunately (i suppose you want to have an auto) the good engine only comes with manual (the Prince engine, slightly detuned found also in the MINI Cooper S). or there is the DS4, really chic, a bit higher, cool looking car, not as fast as the GTI, but something really different. Nicely done interior as well.

I probably would not choose a used German car for 2M but really you should ask you GF if she is going to be driving the car. Thai people tend to have different ideas about street cred to Europeans. VW or Citroen rarely cut it against a Merc or BMW, no matter how much better or faster the particular model. You could get a pretty good 2- 3 year old Merc C200 or BMW 320 for the price you suggest. The are a bit dull but lots of Thais seem to love them. I doubt your budget would stretch to coupe versions, especially the CLS. I reckon the CLS is ugly anyway, but that's just IMO.

If your GF can see past the Merc / BMW stranglehold, the GTI would be OK assuming something sporty that accelerates suits her. Used ones are rare unless you can get the demonstrator deal Frankphuket referred to.

Audi TT - too pricey? Mini might be an option, they are probably easier to find second hand, do they qualify as German? How about forget the German bit (and practicality) and get an Mazda MX5.

I hate shopping but at least shopping for cars is better than handbags or shoes.

If you are in an area that could get flooded the BMW X1 is under 2 million for a 2011 model...

also under 2 million 2009/10 BMW X3...

2004/5 3.2 E46 M3 ? 2004/5 2.5 Z4 ?

Ex Demo 2012 Volvo C30 ? 2012 Audi A1 ?

Edited by ignis

I would steer clear of performance rides if you want your Thai lady to remain so. sad.png

I have the personal opinion rolleyes.gif that more power keeps us safe....! Argument: you need much less time doubling all the "Somchais" in their Nissan Marches or Fortuners (...no pun intended, but it seems that I always meet those here...or a few years ago the 'piece de resistance' was Mazda Famila truck) driving around 40 km/h when there is plenty of decent road. When roads bend and traffic is coming, those seconds are vital! whistling.gif

I am no racers, but like to have a bit of fun and don't want to think really hard if i possibly could double this 'id..t' in front of me.

Agree with a previous poster, that Thai do have different thinking when it comes to brands and cars. Mercedes rules, but than again, there are quite a few Thai woman i met which really don't want one! It depends what she wants to portray (or show off to the outside world): being chic and different - get the Citroen, being rich - get a Benz, being reasonable, yet sport oriented and know something about cars - get a GTI......don't care about any of the above, but want a fun hot hatch with good maintenance at decent price (but poor resale value) - get the Skoda vRS.

wai.gif

How about a VW Golf GTI?

DSG gearbox, 210 BHP, 0-100 in 6.9 sec's. quicker if you chip it

I think for a 2nd hand one you should be able to obtain one for 2 million or less.

Chris

Yep, would be second on my list but my first would be a Scirroco but not for the GF biggrin.png ...
  • Like 1

love the Fiat 500 too. The BMW X1 in basic trim is under 2m baht; I imagine a dealer might have an ex demo and a bit of haggling cd get a good deal on the Highline version. She wants german for the design, resale and image. Think she wd rather walk than drive a Camry ;)

When is the new mk 7 Golf coming to thailand? in the UK the delivery date is january.

Fiat 500

Costs a fortune of 1,6m but the girl will love it.

Slam the door on a new fiat (they considered quite bad in europe) but then you realize how seriously bad thai-cars are.

What's a Thai car? There are none......1.6M is ridiculous for a fiat here.

• Like 1

For 2 Million you will , at best get a second hand Series 3 or C class, at least 2 or 3 years old, with basic options .

Frankly for this money, get your GF a brand new top of the range Honda Accord 2.4 or Toyota Camry Hybrid with all the trimmings.

They are much better cars .

I hadn't heard? When did the Yermans take over Toyota & Honda? huh.png

Fiat 500

Costs a fortune of 1,6m but the girl will love it.

Slam the door on a new fiat (they considered quite bad in europe) but then you realize how seriously bad thai-cars are.

What's a Thai car? There are none......1.6M is ridiculous for a fiat here.

No kidding! $13,000 state side...Nonsense here....

love the Fiat 500 too. The BMW X1 in basic trim is under 2m baht; I imagine a dealer might have an ex demo and a bit of haggling cd get a good deal on the Highline version. She wants german for the design, resale and image. Think she wd rather walk than drive a Camry wink.png

When is the new mk 7 Golf coming to thailand? in the UK the delivery date is january.

Not sure actually what the prices are here but the new Passat CC is a very smart Merc-esq looking car..

Not impressed with the color of this interior offering though it's a bit too Yerman for me, don't like this baby poo brown color..

Volkswagen-Passat-CC-Individual-11.jpg

Volkswagen-Passat-CC-Individual-6.jpg

Volkswagen-Passat-CC-Individual-5.jpg

Edited by WarpSpeed

I reckon the CLS is ugly anyway, but that's just IMO.

i reckon the CLS is one of the most beautiful 4-door cars. that's my opinion and that's why i bought one for my wife recently.

Thankyou for sharing that little pearl, is your garage also air-conditioned like every other room in your house as you have so often mentioned? Does it look nice next to the Jaguar you just happened to let slip, come don't be bashful you can tell. Also don't forget to update if you get a yatch, we are waiting with baited breath for your Tales of the Pattaya Carribean.

in thailand just a year?

I believe so, until recently they have been importing only a very small amount of grey market VW's especially the higher end models but now one dealer has been bringing in more models.. Edited by WarpSpeed

so with your great help this is my shortlist

New

BMW X1 basic 1.9m

highline 2.4m

ex demo, maybe 300 - 500,000 less inc normal discount

New Golf launches in 4 months time - around 1.7 - 2.4M? TDi will be good choice.

secondhand

Mercedes CLS, around 6 yrs old

B class nearly new

Volvo C30 (ok its not german)

Passat CC

Golf GTI (5 or 6 series)

Edited by fish fingers