Another Us Consular Closure This Afternoon

cloudhopper

According to this missive -

Security Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Demonstration Outside U.S.

Consulate General Chiang Mai on Friday September 21

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai, Thailand, has just been

informed by local authorities of a possible demonstration outside the

Consulate General during the afternoon of Friday, September 21, which

may disrupt traffic in the area. Consequently, the Consular Section of

the Consulate General will be closed to the public after 12:00 on

September 21. Routine U.S. Citizen Services will not be available.

Emergency Services to U.S. citizens will continue to be available by

calling (66) 053-107700.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is not aware at this time of

any specific threat -snip bla bla bla

Yeah, I just spotted a group of about 100 men on motorbike and foot headed down Chang Klan road towards downtown.

They were carrying signs reading "We love prophet Muhammad "

And they were dragging a US flag along the ground.

Really?

Yes. I was just sitting in a coffe shop, and saw them all head past.

It was all men and a few boys. I didn't notice any women in the group.

It was quite offensive the way they dragged the flag on the ground , but I'm not stupid enough to get in a confrontation.

It was a good sized flag too, maybe 1x2 meters or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Yes it is Friday a pay day for some. Just because they are Muslims does not mean they don't drink and use women for recreational purposes when they are not i a country controlled by their religion.

Payday is celebration day to some. Not making any suggestions just saying.

• Like 1

Wonder if the Thai police would offer the same amount of protection, if a counter protest took place in front of Baan Haw Mosque, where protestors dragged copies of the Koran through the streets, stomped on them, and then set them on fire.

-Mestizo

• Like 1

I'm surprised that people seem to resent it when thais (in their own country) make a (non-violent) protest against America, including the burning of the american flag. It was amazing too - at least to this non-american - that one person equated burning the american flag with burning the Quran. Of course the animus that underlies such comments is transparent.

Yes. I was just sitting in a coffe shop, and saw them all head past.

It was all men and a few boys. I didn't notice any women in the group.

It was quite offensive the way they dragged the flag on the ground , but I'm not stupid enough to get in a confrontation.

It was a good sized flag too, maybe 1x2 meters or thereabouts.

Wow I am surprised.

Yes I would not get involved either if I were in your place.

Wonder if the Thai police would offer the same amount of protection, if a counter protest took place in front of Baan Haw Mosque, where protestors dragged copies of the Koran through the streets, stomped on them, and then set them on fire.

-Mestizo

Best not to compete with crazy.

Also at the end of the day they are upset ( rightfully or wrongfully ) with a government.

To retaliate with burning anything considered religious in Thailand probably would not go down

well with the cops.

I know one really nice cop & know he is a Muslim because we had a meal together & he mentioned it.

Edited by mania

Can the OP please show a link to where this came from?

Not doubting you at all, but would like some authentication of this info.

I don't see anything on the US Dept of State website, and I have done some more than casual searching.

Please post a link to verify this info.

Can the OP please show a link to where this came from?

Not doubting you at all, but would like some authentication of this info.

I don't see anything on the US Dept of State website, and I have done some more than casual searching.

Please post a link to verify this info.

Not the OP but I did see it here

http://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate

posted 8 hours ago

I'm surprised that people seem to resent it when thais (in their own country) make a (non-violent) protest against America, including the burning of the american flag. It was amazing too - at least to this non-american - that one person equated burning the american flag with burning the Quran. Of course the animus that underlies such comments is transparent.

The act of burning a nationional flag and burning a " sacred " book are equivelent, both are symbolic, one of a nation, the other of a belief system. The fact that the religious group lacks the emotional maturity and decency to ignore the act and chooses to escalate the conflict is the root of the problem.
  • Like 2

Do these guys actually know that film was made by an Egyptian? Ok enough of the stupid questions w00t.gif

Actually the film (I watched a bit , it was tortuous) looked like an early Borat production.

I got through about five minutes of it. Can't imagine a Muslim watching the whole thing. They would be foaming at the mouth at the phoniness of the acting and add in the content They would need long term Mental attention.

The act of burning a nationional flag and burning a " sacred " book are equivelent, both are symbolic, one of a nation, the other of a belief system. The fact that the religious group lacks the emotional maturity and decency to ignore the act and chooses to escalate the conflict is the root of the problem.

I recall american flags being burned by anti-american protesters as far back as the days of the Vietnam war. Maybe americans are conditioned from childhood to revere their flag - e.g. by the daily 'pledging allegiance' in school - in a way that's beyond the ken of any other advanced (and, need I say, older) country. I am a UK citizen and if the Union Jack was burned at a protest I think the British would have the necessary maturity not to become unduly exercised or to treat it as an "escalation". Finally - even though thais have the daily national anthem etc also daily drilled into them from school onwards - ask a (buddhist) thai if he sees an equivalence between burning his flag and insulting publicly a central object of his buddhist reverence.

Edited by triffid

-Mestizo

But, I think that the rest of us are too mature to do an act like that. We just write books and make movies about the insanity of humanity.

I recall american flags being burned by anti-american protesters as far back as the days of the Vietnam war. Maybe americans are conditioned from childhood to revere their flag - e.g. by the daily 'pledging allegiance' in school - in a way that's beyond the ken of any other advanced (and, need I say, older) country. I am a UK citizen and if the Union Jack was burned at a protest I think the British would have the necessary maturity not to become unduly exercised or to treat it as an "escalation". Finally - even though thais have the daily national anthem etc also daily drilled into them from school onwards - ask a (buddhist) thai if he sees an equivalence between burning his flag and insulting publicly a central object of his buddhist reverence.

So you are supporting my point that religious symbolism and the irrational, often violent response to it's insult or destruction is the problem. The destruction of a national flag is the symbolic destruction of that nation, the destruction of a "sacred" religious symbol is the symbolic desruction of that religion. Religion is irrational, irrational beliefs often lead to violence (seen the news lately?). Burning a book or a flag are the same, the reaction to the act reveals the character and humanity of the witness, islam has revealed it's true nature time after time.

Does anyone know what the consulate is doing to accommodate those that had appointments that were denied? A lot of appointments are fairly important and time sensitive.

I just thank my lucky stars that my Thursday appt for an income statement letter, which I need for a Monday morning CM Imm appt- went like clockwork. ;)

• Like 1

So you are supporting my point that religious symbolism and the irrational, often violent response to it's insult or destruction is the problem. The destruction of a national flag is the symbolic destruction of that nation, the destruction of a "sacred" religious symbol is the symbolic desruction of that religion. Religion is irrational, irrational beliefs often lead to violence (seen the news lately?). Burning a book or a flag are the same, the reaction to the act reveals the character and humanity of the witness, islam has revealed it's true nature time after time.

Of course the muslims all took to the streets in Thailand when their bretheren in Afghanistan destroyed the ancient giant Buddha eddifices carved into a cliff face.

It is OK for them to hold other religions in contempt but when a couple of crazies offends them they use it as an excuse to violently respond. No wonder they looked at in contempt by other cultures.

-Mestizo

Agree; lets strike back at Islam. Run into your local mosque with 20 pounds of pork sausages strapped to your chest

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the consulate is doing to accommodate those that had appointments that were denied? A lot of appointments are fairly important and time sensitive.

We asked this question of the vice consul for American citizen services at expats club meeting today and he said the only appointments affected were those for visa applications and not for Am. citizen services. Those with cancelled appointments should simply schedule new appointments.

This discussion really has little to do with what appears to have been a minor disruption in an afternoon's work at the American Consulate in Chiang Mai. Otherwise, it reveals the sort of emotional zealousness , passionate ignorance and lack of cultural or historical perspective reflected in the demonstration itself.

I really don't countenance why this sort of discussion has been allowed to go on. It is breathtakingly appalling.

Edited by Mapguy