Policeman At Soi Khao Noi And The Rail Road Fined Me 10,000 Thb For Fake Driver's License...

KirillStorch

Today a cop at this intersection told me I needed to pay him 10,000 Baht for using a fake driver's license (yes, the driver's license was indeed fake). I talked him down to 4,000 Baht. Now I feel cheated. I see conflicting sources on this issue. Some sites state that using a fake ID carries with penalties of up to 6,000 Baht fine + 3 years of imprisonment. Others say it should be no more than a 500 Baht fine.

Any thoughts on this?

@Mod- I do realize discussing illegal activity is against site TOS, but since this was a past event, and the cop reviewed it and pardoned it, I figured this is within TOS....

Often the law is whatever the cop says it is. You never know what a cop will do. I'd say the police and Immigration if it gets involved can make quite a big deal out of a fake ID if they want to. Bargaining down to less than half of the asking price was not bad at all. So don't worry about it now. Just get legal and stay legal.

If you don't show them a license (or if you don't have one) they will only fine you up to 400 THB.

But showing a fake license that's never a good idea.

If you stay here full time then get a Thai license it's not that hard to do. !!

• Like 1

Guys,

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. OBVIOUSLY it was stupid, yes. A *tip of the hat* and a *grin through clenched teeth* to everyone who replied to this post saying something equivalent to "wow, you're a loser, you got what was coming to you."

I was trying to figure out whether or not I paid a reasonable fine. A few people addressed this point. As mentioned in the post, some internet sources claim that driving with a fake license warrants a fine of 500 THB, others say jail time and 6K THB. I was just curious as to whether or not the Thai Visa community had any insight about this. Did I pay high? Low? In between? Or is there just no way of determining this?

Guys,

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. OBVIOUSLY it was stupid, yes. A *tip of the hat* and a *grin through clenched teeth* to everyone who replied to this post saying something equivalent to "wow, you're a loser, you got what was coming to you."

I was trying to figure out whether or not I paid a reasonable fine. A few people addressed this point. As mentioned in the post, some internet sources claim that driving with a fake license warrants a fine of 500 THB, others say jail time and 6K THB. I was just curious as to whether or not the Thai Visa community had any insight about this. Did I pay high? Low? In between? Or is there just no way of determining this?

Does this answer your question

"Under Sections 264 and 268, anyone producing, selling or buying a false document such as a passport or ID card of another country, is exposed to imprisonment not exceeding three years, and receiving a fine not exceeding 6,000 baht, or both,"

BTW it wasnt a fine you paid, its called a bribe or a bung

Edited by Soutpeel

So I've only been in TV a relative short time so please excuse my still somewhat surprise. <deleted> would the op or anyone for that matter come to a far land and break laws that are pretty obvious? In my home country and I suspect most others the laws an penalties are pretty severe for using false documentation with a govt official. While I am no saint and it's pretty easy to to get away with a lot of things, THAT is definitely not one of them. Reminds me of some of my workmates. They spend tons of time and energy trying to get away with doing the least amount of work possible. When in reality if they would just do the dam_n work, it would take half the time and a lot less stress. Thailand is fairly easy to do the simple and easy things when it comes to staying in the right side of the law in normal everyday stuff. You go to the trouble of getting a work permit and non O visa but don't get a license? What did you think would be the response here? Congrats on negotiating your avoiding jail time when you clearly and knowingly are breaking laws? Please. Like another said, Sam Nom Na. Get straight and get a license. If you don't know how, ask. Surely someone could point you in the right direction. Cheers.

• Like 1

people like you piss me off, you come here,, use a fake id and then moan have i paid to much,,

you didnt pay enough,

what you going to do if you run someone over and kill them, are you going to run for the airport,, because believe me you would end up in the place you should be then,,, jail,

do it right or dont do it, and then there some on here saying just drive round without id, licence, what the <deleted>, you wouldnt do it at home, so why come here and think you can just do as you like, god help the people walking round in pattaya if they ever get hit by one of you lot,

In my honest opinion there is nothing more to say about this topic!!! I myself was controlled today (as many others) at Second Road, asked for Licence and "Pragan" (insurance).

Get it and you are ok, if not f.. o..! And stop moarning...!

• Like 2