Why Do So Many Men Let Themselves Go Over Here?

thenervoussurgeon

Maybe you're the idiot for wearing your 'neat' stuffy clothes here in a casual tropical country.......I often see these expats, some religious salesmen, some office workers, some business men in long sleeve shirts with ties and sweating like pigs

What on earth is a casual country?

'A casual tropical country' is a country that doesn't have a dress code and people dress for comfort and not 'show or style'. Having lived three decades in Hawaii has taught me to dress for comfort. In public schools, we were allowed to wear shorts and slippers because it was tropical and normal attire. The government and many businesses always had what they called 'Aloha Friday; where all wore aloha shorts and Hawaiian print shirts and dresses.

"... people dress ... and not 'show or style' "

That'll be the other Thailand, then

SC

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why is ThaiVisa full of people who are so concerned with other peoples lives?

I wonder if any TV Member has made a thread about me... I've got more then enough traits worthy 555

I have noticed this also, so much attention paid how others choose to live their lives, this is a very strange forum but entertaining in a perverse way.

Not just on TV either. There's another Thai forum I post on that has had a similar thread running.

Whatever a"casual tropical country" is, Thailand is far from one. I know this topic is about how ex-pats dress, however I have always been pleasantly surprised to see how well dressed Thai people are. You only have to walk into a bank et al to see that, oh and all those posh ones on Thai soaps.

Plus this is also the land of uniforms and medal ribbons, perhaps the "farangs" should be issued one of those khaki outfits to wear on a Monday.

I have some doubt whether these guys actually let themselves go, or have a very good reason for dressing down. Very well dressed guys walking around Thailand might as well have a sign around their head "rich...and ripe for fleeceing"

I suspect the smarter expats realize leaving the ego back home pays big dividends here. In the same vain, have to laugh when seeing farangs walking around with the gold all over themermm.gif

Thai men fall into two categories.

Young and handsome .......... long jeans, t-shirt, flip-flops

Older and respectable ......... long trousers, polo shirt, black shoes

That's 90% of the Thai male population. Choose which group you want to join.

Dressing outside those parameters make you look a little bit weird (or a tourist).

Don't ever wear shorts, shorts are for tourists, children and weirdos.

Don't believe me, sit watching a road for 20 minutes, just looking at the Thai men passing by.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I have some doubt whether these guys actually let themselves go, or have a very good reason for dressing down. Very well dressed guys walking around Thailand might as well have a sign around their head "rich...and ripe for fleeceing"

I suspect the smarter expats realize leaving the ego back home pays big dividends here. In the same vain, have to laugh when seeing farangs walking around with the gold all over themermm.gif

What ever you wear you are a ''millionaire farang'', know matter what your attire.

I never go out in shorts unless to buy beer stock. thumbsup.gif

My mrs thinks that a farang must dress better as native folk think they are better and should show that. I hate being invited out for dins to find the farang dressed like a beach bum, believe me their lady doesn't like it. sad.png

After working on an offshore installation for two months crossing the Indian Ocean in varying degrees of heat wearing the compulsory PPE consisting of hard hat,glasses,steel toe cap boots,gloves,masks,face shields etc etc i feel it's nice to dress down somewhat.

Those of us who do live here aren't all retired,or work in offices,some my self included have demanding jobs in the oil and gas industry,what people think I dress like when I am on R&R at home in Thailand is my least concern,Thai or Foreigner.

I agree that there is a bit of a paradox when it comes to living here;

On one end, money rules all and as discussed, the most ogrish of all can win over a beauty with a fat wallet. I find that Western women seem to be a bit more discerning towards the physical attractiveness of their partner than Thai women, thus, coming here as a western man and realizing this, one can just f*** it, and let themselves go physically.

On the other side, as others have pointed out, I have found the general publics treatment of westerners very much dependant on their first appearance with the westerner (but this is also Thais with Thais..and shit everywhere in the world really to an extent). Basically it boils down to money, wear seemingly more expensive clothes and you instantly command more respect than one wearing cheaper, casual wear...in a lot of situations.

So what have I learned living here for 5+ years? Yes looks matter, if I'm meeting someone or running fairly important errands i'll refrain from looking like a farang kee nok, but if im just heading out to do something fairly trivial that doesn't necessitate loads of interaction with the locals, comfort is the name of the game.

When holidaying within Thailand i'll try to find a nice middle between comfort and formality.

As a woman in Thailand who lives here I obviously always try to make some effort but I have noticed that I make less of an effort over here than what I used to in the UK. But I'm not sure if this is because in the UK I was a lot more alternative looking where as now I feel I have an etiquette to abide by and to be more conservative because of my job etc.

But I have seen some states of men over here. sick.gif

• Like 1

After working on an offshore installation for two months crossing the Indian Ocean in varying degrees of heat wearing the compulsory PPE consisting of hard hat,glasses,steel toe cap boots,gloves,masks,face shields etc etc i feel it's nice to dress down somewhat.

Those of us who do live here aren't all retired,or work in offices,some my self included have demanding jobs in the oil and gas industry,what people think I dress like when I am on R&R at home in Thailand is my least concern,Thai or Foreigner.

I know what you mean. The first thing I do here is take off my boots.laugh.png

Yep, keep the hard hat on, doubles as m/c helmet.

maybe not a case of giving up, possibly they have always been slobs and the reasons their first western wives left them and they had to come to Thailand to get a sh*g...just a thought

That's a very good answer Soutpeel, A very high percentage of ex pats are just beer slobbing, ugly, overweight, tattooed, facial haired, singlet wearing slobs who are so stupid they think their Thai darlings love them, when it's only their money they love. I know my Thai wife loves me, she's twenty years younger, lived with me for six years after I had bought the house, car, furniture etc then married me about eighteen months ago. All I have is a little savings, and a small income. she has her money and I have mine. I never walk about in a singlet, don't have tattooes, don't have facial hair, am six ft tall and 80 Kilos, don't drink alcohol or smoke, yes, some of my farang friends are overweight slobs. I'm certainly not your average ex pat, and I'm very happy.

maybe not a case of giving up, possibly they have always been slobs and the reasons their first western wives left them and they had to come to Thailand to get a sh*g...just a thought

That's a very good answer Soutpeel, A very high percentage of ex pats are just beer slobbing, ugly, overweight, tattooed, facial haired, singlet wearing slobs who are so stupid they think their Thai darlings love them, when it's only their money they love. I know my Thai wife loves me, she's twenty years younger, lived with me for six years after I had bought the house, car, furniture etc then married me about eighteen months ago. All I have is a little savings, and a small income. she has her money and I have mine. I never walk about in a singlet, don't have tattooes, don't have facial hair, am six ft tall and 80 Kilos, don't drink alcohol or smoke, yes, some of my farang friends are overweight slobs. I'm certainly not your average ex pat, and I'm very happy.

The Gods walk among us. How grateful we are to have you posting on Thai Visa. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Depends if you feel "looking" good is important or not..... even in Thailand.

Main point is to keep cool for me which often means baggy clothes.

The world has become a bit obsessed by"look"

I bet you like to look at sexy girls... or do you want the old ones with all the wrinkles. Looks are important and some nice clothes help a lot.

Actually the last head turner/conversation stopper I saw, and I mean every male head in the area without exception, was a japanese mother who strode along in her bikini to join her year old child and husband in the pool

I don't think black socks would have made one iota of difference, and clothes would have not enhanced the effect one bit.

I think for the male farang comfort is important, especially if there is no need to impress. I find that I wear more long sleeved shirts and trousers these days if I am heading into 'civilisation' more to deter mosquitoes and sun than for the smart look

I also always wear long sleeved tops, and never wear shorts when I go out.

Dressing outside those parameters make you look a little bit weird (or a tourist).

Don't believe me, sit watching a road for 20 minutes, just looking at the Thai men passing by.

"Don't ever wear shorts, shorts are for tourists, children and weirdos."

Take it you dont visit, Paragon, Emporiumn or Fashion Island at the weekends, see plenty of Thai males wearing shorts, and judging from the cars they are driving and the women they are with,they aint upcountry shitkickers.

• Like 1

Except some rare nutter, i didn't see many who fit in the description..Where are you living OP ?

Wow just came back and saw all the replies ,must have hit the right note ,actually i live just outside Pattaya and must admit around the house tend to just wear shorts ,but when we go out always try to dress nicely ,not flash as i have got to the age where i no longer feel the need to wear the latest fashions ,but as i have stated on other threads her indoors is 23 years younger than me slim quit attractive and dresses nicely so i feel it would be a bit strange if i was out in my singlet long shorts with black socks and sandals,

I can never get a good jacket to fit me........straight jacket excepted

I liked the picture of quasimodo ,do you know its a fact that even his ugly brother is able to get a date in Pattaya

If anyone can't get a date in Pattaya, then they should commit suicide.

"Don't ever wear shorts, shorts are for tourists, children and weirdos."

Take it you dont visit, Paragon, Emporiumn or Fashion Island at the weekends, see plenty of Thai males wearing shorts, and judging from the cars they are driving and the women they are with,they aint upcountry shitkickers.

Very possibly weirdos though!

• Like 1

The Gods walk among us. How grateful we are to have you posting on Thai Visa. coffee1.gif

Don't mention it.

I liked the picture of quasimodo ,do you know its a fact that even his ugly brother is able to get a date in Pattaya

Alternately they then tell their story on TVF.

Edited by Morakot

Alternately they then tell their story on TVF.

I thought that was for after the date, when they bleat about it costing too much.

Me too funnily enough,I'm now popping out for a beer.

post-118612-13486578541298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Why do people always refer to their wives as "my Thai wife?"

I do that. It's so people know that I'm lucky enough to be married to someone that will still be attractive when I kick the bucket, and actually looks after me.

She will look after you after you pass on. You have a big freezer eh. laugh.png Edited by transam