Why Do So Many Men Let Themselves Go Over Here?

thenervoussurgeon

I almost always wear long pants and try to look half decent when I go out in the evenings.

Too many dam_n mosquitoes for shorts!!

But then I also wear jeans or slacks during the day too.

As I figure jeans might save me some skin if I come off my motorcycle, and I've gotta wear slacks if I'm working lol.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course i wear long trousers (jeans) when travelling abroad. but if the destination is tropical i prefer my t-shirt over a shirt with a collar. and it gives me great pleasure to embarass a flight attendant when boarding by keeping the boarding pass in a back pocket. then when told "sorry Sir, this way please" i answer grinning "OOPS, i had no idea that you switched business and first with cattle class." tongue.png

You must live a sad life to get pleasure from such childish actions.

Yeh, some of us stay young at heart. thumbsup.gif

Yes...one suspects being childish on ocassion is far better than being bitter and miserable all the time

Not if you're the flight attendant being embarrassed. And some wonder why some farangs are disliked.......

Clothes,who needs clothes in Siam,A sarong in the garden or dshorts bythe pool.If I slummed into the aircon offices of Skumvit I guess I can find anIndian Tailor to sell me a fake Hugo Boss,the real ones clothed the SSwho were always very well turned out.I am usually more impressed with a persons character and only don smart attire for Pittis Immi and Funerals

Clothes,who needs clothes in Siam,A sarong in the garden or dshorts bythe pool.If I slummed into the aircon offices of Skumvit I guess I can find anIndian Tailor to sell me a fake Hugo Boss,the real ones clothed the SSwho were always very well turned out.I am usually more impressed with a persons character and only don smart attire for Pittis Immi and Funerals

Eh, sad.png

Depend where you are and what your doing. Going out to a nice restaurant or bar i would make an effort...shirt etc. Walking around a market or watching football with friends.... a pair of shorts and a t-shirt is fine.

A person overdressed looks as bad as someone underdressed is some situations!

Eh, sad.png

I assume "pittis Immi" is Immigration Office?

If so, he has a point... I always make sure I am looking v respectable before going to the Immigration office for the 90 day report!

Eh, sad.png

I assume "pittis Immi" is Immigration Office?

If so, he has a point... I always make sure I am looking v respectable before going to the Immigration office for the 90 day report!

Me too ,the lycra cycling shorts are almost never worntongue.png

There is an old story about a fisherman that just got back from Alaska.He walked into a Chevrolet dealership in Seattle and told the salesman he wanted to buy 7 new cars, a different one for every day of the week The salesman told him he was stinking

the place up and kicked him out.He walked across the street and bought 7 new Fords.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

There is an old story about a fisherman that just got back from Alaska.He walked into a Chevrolet dealership in Seattle and told the salesman he wanted to buy 7 new cars, a different one for every day of the week The salesman told him he was stinking

the place up and kicked him out.He walked across the street and bought 7 new Fords.

Why did he buy those fords.. i thought he wanted to buy 7 cars ?

• Like 2

perhaps they are just like me and care a flying fàrt what others think of their attire?

I've got to agree, I'm not here to impress anyone, especially living on the beach in a tourist area with not a care in the world what other wannabe's think. If I lived in Isaan...................well I'd never live in Isaan.

I've got to agree, I'm not here to impress anyone

Sometimes I like to impress myself whistling.gif

Like the original poster said, they are with their wives.

Appart from that it may be that black socks provides political correctness and pleases the wife in ways I, Frank La Rue, just cannot understand - but who am I to define pleasure for other people in general and women elsewere in the galaxy?

Edited by Frank La Rue

Why did he buy those fords.. i thought he wanted to buy 7 cars ?

He was originally from Denmark

Edited by kennedy

As we've established socks and sandals are a no-no.

No-no number 2 for me is, anyone over 30 wearing blue (any kind of wash and shade) jeans looks ridiculous. Some celebs and people in really good shape can get away with it, but the further away you are on the wrong side of 30, the more desperate you look.

Back in the uk I dressed casual smart - never one for those horrendous sport brand jackets. Here however, shorts, shorts and more shorts. Sometimes a short sleeve shirt sometimes a t shirt.

Especially in my 20's I loved clothes and would spend a fortune on everything from shoes to overcoats. Here it is just too dam_n hot to put style over comfort.

Edited by mjj

whistling.gif Not for all men, but for some definately, coming to Thailand is the first taste of freedom they have had outside the over-regulated nanny state they grew up in.

They get to Thailand and there's no ex-wife, no relatives and mothers-in-law telling them the "right" thing they must do. Nobody lecturing them on their responsibilities.

No house to paint or repair, no lawns to mow and leaves to rake, no neighbors you need to impress.....and so on.

Being free possibly for the first time since he was married to that blankety-blank women....the nagging old battle-axe he hasn't really loved for years, but had to seem to want to be with only for appeaences sake....so leaving their family and coming to Thailand is like a vacation.

For some middle-aged men getting out of their "home country", coming to Thailand and a the prospect of a new exciting life away an increasingly loveless marriage, "kids" that openly mock them, and a dead-end job is like a new beginning.

They mostly get disilusioned soon, some faster than others, but for a while they tend to roll around like a old fat boar pig in a cool mudhole on a hot day.

So they let things go, they just don't care anymore because there's no one here to impress.

Flock all of them back home.

By the way,,,that;s NOT me that I'm talking about.

wink.png

I see far fewer men in Thailand that have 'let themselves go' than ever in the UK.

(don't get me started on UK women letting themselves go)

Most of my foreigner friends are slim fitness freaks.

What does get me going is ......... the foreign guys trying to wear traditional Thai clothes. The sort of clothing only a Thai fisherman or field worker would ever wear. Then you get the foreigners in all white outfits ....... Buddha day only for gods sake.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Like the original poster said, they are with their wives.

Appart from that it may be that black socks provides political correctness and pleases the wife in ways I, Frank La Rue, just cannot understand - but who am I to define pleasure for other people in general and women elsewere in the galaxy?

I must be doing something wrong. I often wear black socks to please the wife but I've never had an inter-galactic organism!

What does get me going is ......... the foreign guys trying to wear traditional Thai clothes. The sort of clothing only a Thai fisherman or field worker would ever wear. Then you get the foreigners in all white outfits ....... Buddha day only for gods sake.

But isnt this part of being one with your Thainess training, once complete they can become members of TV and be Thaier than Thai and use the phases, "you dont understand the culture" or "you must embrace the culture" and these are the people we defer to when one talks about the certain subjects such as the proper way to Wai and all matters sin sot ?

I love my fisherman pants in the house biggrin.png Nice and comfortable but would not want to wear them anywhere else.. except when im fishing of course.

Maybe you're the idiot for wearing your 'neat' stuffy clothes here in a casual tropical country.......I often see these expats, some religious salesmen, some office workers, some business men in long sleeve shirts with ties and sweating like pigs while I'm cool and comfortable in my shorts, t-shirt and slippers because i really don't have to impress anyone and am here for comfort.

Oh, there is a good use for your neck tie.......I'll let you figure it out.

• Like 2

Maybe you're the idiot for wearing your 'neat' stuffy clothes here in a casual tropical country.......I often see these expats, some religious salesmen, some office workers, some business men in long sleeve shirts with ties and sweating like pigs

What on earth is a casual country?

Edited by Morakot

Maybe you're the idiot for wearing your 'neat' stuffy clothes here in a casual tropical country.......I often see these expats, some religious salesmen, some office workers, some business men in long sleeve shirts with ties and sweating like pigs while I'm cool and comfortable in my shorts, t-shirt and slippers because i really don't have to impress anyone and am here for comfort.

Oh, there is a good use for your neck tie.......I'll let you figure it out.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Maybe you're the idiot for wearing your 'neat' stuffy clothes here in a casual tropical country.......I often see these expats, some religious salesmen, some office workers, some business men in long sleeve shirts with ties and sweating like pigs

'A casual tropical country' is a country that doesn't have a dress code and people dress for comfort and not 'show or style'. Having lived three decades in Hawaii has taught me to dress for comfort. In public schools, we were allowed to wear shorts and slippers because it was tropical and normal attire. The government and many businesses always had what they called 'Aloha Friday; where all wore aloha shorts and Hawaiian print shirts and dresses.

'A casual tropical country' is a country that doesn't have a dress code

There is no dress code in Thailand? What? Do you still live in the times prior to the fifth King?

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

Why oh why is ThaiVisa full of people who are so concerned with other peoples lives?

I wonder if any TV Member has made a thread about me... I've got more then enough traits worthy 555

I have noticed this also, so much attention paid how others choose to live their lives, this is a very strange forum but entertaining in a perverse way.