Would The Average Thai Make Any Sense Out Of The Davinci Code?

giddyup

Monna Lisa is supposedly correct, but it has been anglicised into Mona. I have no idea why it was changed to Labelle to suit the Thais though.

Whatever Leonardo called it is fine with me.

Anyone REALLY know?

the Mona Lisa was originally called La Gioconda.

thought to be a portrait of Lisa Gherardini, the wife of Francesco del Giocondo.

Mona is a contraction of Madonna.

I actually knew this, but would like to thank all my friends at wikipedia for having my back and saving mee thee trouble of typing it all out myself

Monna Lisa is supposedly correct, but it has been anglicised into Mona. I have no idea why it was changed to Labelle to suit the Thais though.

Anyone REALLY know?

Leonardo called the picture "La Gioconda" (the joyful), as the woman in the pictures name was Lisa del Giocondo

The french call her "la Joconde" which is just a transcript from the Italien but has no further meaning

Mona Lisa (German version) is a misspeling and should be Monna Lisa (Wife Lisa - Lisa was the wife of Francesco del Giocondo)

La Belle - or belle femme - is just what the French call her colloquial

I got the same info from Wikipedia but was just too lazy to copy it all to the post.

The average Thai? No. As someone else said, you already know the answer. BTW if your wife is not a Christian let her know that Christians believe that Christ died on the Cross and was resurrected three days later and watch her response. My wife fell over laughing.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. I was hoping that someone's Thai partner had already read the book and was able to comment. All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

More than a few Thai's believe in magic, so turning water into wine would probably be accepted and welcomedsmile.png

Its the way most Thais r educated. They learn about names of trees, plants, flowers, animals, etc.

Not many Thais have knowledge on topics of world history, Christianity,geography, etc.

The da vinci code isnt something for them. Especially with the Thai translation.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

You can also say it's the way most Westerns are educated... not many have knowledge of topics of Asian history, Buddhism, Maoism, Hinduism etc etc... and knowing how many Americans with average college education won't find Europe on a map... and hearing the bullshit some American politicians talk about (specially those who want to become president of the US of A...)...

Anyone REALLY know?

Leonardo called the picture "La Gioconda" (the joyful), as the woman in the pictures name was Lisa del Giocondo

The french call her "la Joconde" which is just a transcript from the Italien but has no further meaning

Mona Lisa (German version) is a misspeling and should be Monna Lisa (Wife Lisa - Lisa was the wife of Francesco del Giocondo)

La Belle - or belle femme - is just what the French call her colloquial

I got the same info from Wikipedia but was just too lazy to copy it all to the post.

So I am a nicer person than you because I went through the hassle to copy it out biggrin.png

The average Thai? No. As someone else said, you already know the answer. BTW if your wife is not a Christian let her know that Christians believe that Christ died on the Cross and was resurrected three days later and watch her response. My wife fell over laughing.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. I was hoping that someone's Thai partner had already read the book and was able to comment. All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

More than a few Thai's believe in magic, so turning water into wine would probably be accepted and welcomedsmile.png

I'd love to be able to do it myself rather than spending 400 baht for 2 litres.

All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

Or even water into wine. wink.png

Agree with your above statement.

I can turn Beer into p*ss if thats any help laugh.png

Not sure if that qualifies you for Sainthood, probably not.

All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

Or even water into wine. wink.png

Agree with your above statement.

I can turn Beer into p*ss if thats any help laugh.png

Not sure if that qualifies you for Sainthood, probably not.

Definition of an Irishman...

A very simple machine which turns Guinness into p*ss

Tá brón orm...biggrin.png

• Like 1

I wish I could remember which film my Thai friend and I went to while I was living there. A "pop" adventure type film, but I remember that there was an underlying Christian theme. After the film I was peppered with questions for an hour, and realized that my Thai friend had missed the entire point of the film because he had gotten too wrapped up in the religios aspect. I kept insisting that knowing the religous aspect was not key to the film, but that got no where.

Never again. But it's no different than when my adopted Pakistani son would bring an Indian film home and I would be lost without the context.

Anyone REALLY know?

I knew a Moaner Lisa once. But no, she couldn't be the subject of a DaVinci painting, certainly not. :(

• Like 1

I agree that the book is way outside of the average Thai's experience or knowledge. The same might be true of Westerners. How many really know the history of Christianity as it is known by most? How many are prepared to ponder the issues in the book?

As for the Mona Lisa, I've seen it several times. I subscribe to the school which believes it's Da Vinci in drag. Seriously. Look at all of the self portraits including drawings of Da Vinci you can find and then just look at the facial features and shape of the Mona Lisa. Maybe not, but it looks like it to me.

She may have an advantage not knowing what we were brought up with ? having read the book and watched the movie I spent more time analysing what I'd been told in the past, some parts made me say yes that is a woman at the last supper table other parts just made it a really good read.

I do wonder about translated versions if they have the same story line.

I agree with you, I also had to google loads of things in order to understand what's going on in the book. Without know-how of Catholic church history, it seems to be that a "regular" Thai person will not be able to understand the story bord of the book.

And looking at the differenced in the language concept between English and Thai, I can not imagine that any translation from English to Thai can bring over the story... I assume that if one is fluent in both Thai and English and would read both books, he would probably think that he reads two different stories.

I agree I just started Ken Follett's newest, I asked my Mum to send and it was in French, I was lost and when I say lost I gave up after 4 chapters, I asked my Dad for a copy in English- they joys of having bilingual parents, so I'll do the first 4 chapters and confirm things are lost in translation.

Now if you had got yourself a Kindle you could have been reading Winter of the World instead of L'hiver Du Monde smile.png . great deal for this book on Kindle at present, £4.99 !

..the wife has a copy and has read it twice...don't think it matters if the story line is same as English really...she reads for entertainment as do most people.

Read lots of historical novels and realize how ignorant I am of so much world history,religion and geography. Have NOT read the DC.

While I'm here does anyone have any URLs for Thai language e books??