Daylights - Illegal?

SoloFlyer

As I understand it the law or regulations vary from province to province as does the enforcement.

However, in general - Day time running lights (i.e. side lights but not main beam) are legal.

Motorbikes must have their lights on at all times.

I might be wrong - but that is what I've always believed the regulation to be. I run with my side lights (day time running lights) on a lot, I've never been stopped (I've also broken the speed limit and not been stopped, so not being stopped for doing something is not an automatic indication that its ok).

• Like 1

I think he means the LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) which can be fitted as an add on.

i must admit I find I've been pulled out on less since having mine added, seems people can't notice a big black truck but can see lights in that fraction of a second they glance at the side mirror!

To give this some perspective, in the UK they introduced a Law in 2011 making it a mandatory requirement for all new cars manufactured to have DRL's fitted - with encouragement given for people to fit DRL's on older cars too as part of a road safety initiative. But this being Thailand and all ....

I enquired about them recently and what I found that you can get them fitted here for less than 1000 Baht (Chinese generic) or up to 6000 Baht (Phillips Brand).

post-30245-0-13726400-1348623535_thumb.j

A car with daytime running lights yesterday;

post-30245-0-04687000-1348623008_thumb.j

There was a reasonable amount of media activity over aftermarket DRL's earlier this year (stories/interviews in Thai language media), with senior police figures citing that they have received numerous complaints about poorly designed/fitted aftermarket ones 'dazzling' oncoming traffic.

AFAIK, there is no specific law against them, but directives have been issued to target aftermarket ones that are considered distracting to other motorists.

Edited by IMHO

Volvo's in Thailand do not have daytime running lights. Since Volvo "invented" them and they are standard in countries where they are legal, one has to assume they are illegal in Thailand.

I am talking here about using low beam headlights as daytime running lights. As the newer LED versions are side or parking lights they are not illegal.

But TIT

One thing you gotta love about the Thais, they couldn't give a stuff if it is illegal or not, if they want to do it they will, see them everywhere every day. Western pussies are too indentured and subserviant to the authority of their d*ckhead bureaucratic masters, we all worry, ooh is it against the bureaucratic law. What we should consider is whether it is hurting anybody else, if not do it. The rare fine won't kill you.

Nobody really knows the law, not even the pigs.

I was fined for changing lanes in Bangkok. I was in the lane that went right, I needed to go straight, while about 10 cars back, I put the left indicator and went into the middle lane to go straight the the coppa pulled me over and said I am not allowed to change lanes once in a lane with the arrow going another direction.

I just gave him 200 baht and shock my head.

Well all motorbikes would have a problem now then, I think the headlight or headlights come on once you fire them up.

Officially all motorbikes are required to have their headlight on day and night.

One thing you gotta love about the Thais, they couldn't give a stuff if it is illegal or not, if they want to do it they will, see them everywhere every day. Western pussies are too indentured and subserviant to the authority of their d*ckhead bureaucratic masters, we all worry, ooh is it against the bureaucratic law. What we should consider is whether it is hurting anybody else, if not do it. The rare fine won't kill you.

Maybe the western pussies don't like the huge fines that WILL be incurred if caught. 10 years ago the maximum speeding fin in NSW Australia was over 80000 baht. It's enough to make one obey the law.....who cares about a 200 baht bribe to the BiB here.

• Like 1