Red Bull Heir Pays Bt3M To Victim's Family

Lite Beer

Why do so many people give a <deleted> about this?

You are all posting like you are surprised

This was the end solution from the get go

The rich get to do as they want in this banana republic

The family of the dead cop, did what was smart for their family

If the driver goes to jail for life, it does not put money on their table

The took the deal, no surprise

Move on

• Like 1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people give a <deleted> about this?

You are all posting like you are surprised

This was the end solution from the get go

The rich get to do as they want in this banana republic

The family of the dead cop, did what was smart for their family

If the driver goes to jail for life, it does not put money on their table

The took the deal, no surprise

Move on

The deal sucks!

I think it might be important to be aware of the difference between Red Bull and the Thai original Krating Daeng.

The Yoovidhya family is in partnership with the Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz in the Red Bull name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

As a fan of Formula One motor racing and a fan of Vettel & Webber, I would not condemn the name of Red Bull because of the actions of one Thai man and his Ferrari.

Ferrari & Red Bull there's a good combination.

.............Unless........you're a policeman going about his nightshift on a minor road in Bangkok.

The purpose of compensation payment is avoid the necessity of a Civil law action in the Courts. Civil claims for compensation/damages are in parallel to the criminal case. If the son is convicted and conviction is then appealed the matter could possibly gone on for years with the associated delay in payment for compensation. I suggest this would be in mind during negotiations by the police representative on behalf of the family.

EDIT: any "voluntary" payment made for compensation will also reduce the sentence for the son, if found guilty

Edited by simple1

Well, we all knew this was coming, it's the Thai way of doing things.

I just hope to see the criminal case proceeding full steam and actual serious consequences being meted out . . . just for once. It might help restore some of my lost faith.

But we are interested to know the "criminal" indictments. If the killed policeman's family is satisfied with a Baht 3M settlement of a wrongful death criminal case, I guess that's their business. That amount compared to the estimated wealth of the perpetrator's family is a piddling embarrassment that the policeman's family would accept that low a figure for criminal, negligent, wrongful death homicide, hit and run.

The public would like to see justice served with the proper criminal charges, perp walking, and trial. Too bad the victim's family sold out for so little. It sets the bar very low for wealthy Thai abusers of the law. There should be no impunity for the wealthy here. Criminal charges and indictments won't right a wrong and behavior with impunity, but it is a fair just start.

Does anyone know what if anything the Ferrari dealership in Thailand, Cavallino Motors http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx owned by the Red Bull third generation heir's father and the owner of Singha beer, has anything to say about safe operation of their cars? Very fitting that the above web site photo at the dealership that they all would have a champagne glass in their hands. The farang dude must be Cavallino. Does anyone know anything about Cavallino?

The purpose of compensation payment is avoid the necessity of a Civil law action in the Courts. Civil claims for compensation/damages are in parallel to the criminal case. If the son is convicted and conviction is then appealed the matter could possibly gone on for years with the associated delay in payment for compensation. I suggest this would be in mind during negotiations by the police representative on behalf of the family.

EDIT: any "voluntary" payment made for compensation will also reduce the sentence for the son, if found guilty

But the settlement and payment or "payoff" is also a concession of guilt.

But we are interested to know the "criminal" indictments. If the killed policeman's family is satisfied with a Baht 3M settlement of a wrongful death criminal case, I guess that's their business. That amount compared to the estimated wealth of the perpetrator's family is a piddling embarrassment that the policeman's family would accept that low a figure for criminal, negligent, wrongful death homicide, hit and run.

The public would like to see justice served with the proper criminal charges, perp walking, and trial. Too bad the victim's family sold out for so little. It sets the bar very low for wealthy Thai abusers of the law. There should be no impunity for the wealthy here. Criminal charges and indictments won't right a wrong and behavior with impunity, but it is a fair just start.

Does anyone know what if anything the Ferrari dealership in Thailand, Cavallino Motors http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx owned by the Red Bull third generation heir's father and the owner of Singha beer, has anything to say about safe operation of their cars? Very fitting that the above web site photo at the dealership that they all would have a champagne glass in their hands. The farang dude must be Cavallino. Does anyone know anything about Cavallino?

I think you'll find the 'farang dude' as you put it, is the head of Region Ferrari Asia Pacific.

The money that has been paid will be under the courts mediation process, designed to see if those involved can come to some form of agreement without the issue of compensation going to court. I imagine the family did not even have legal representation, they would have just sat around the table. What is disappointing is that the Father of the alleged criminal - who was handed this fortune on a plate, has shown absolutely no remorse whatsoever by offering an amount that is probably not even equal to a weekends spending, it certainly is less than the profit the offender will make from the sale of 1 super car at his showroom. To the policeman's family it may be a sizable amount, but in this case the amount offered should have been an indication of their sorrow and based on their means. I think if I had 160 Billion in the bank and my son was the offender then I would have started at 100 M and prepared to go higher, and the son would have worked until it was paid back. Even 100M is chump change with 160 B in the bank. The red bull family have certainly not satisfied the universes karma, so in the end there will be a reckoning.

I wonder why the police are still waiting for the reports on the blood tests whistling.gif

I hope the young man does some prison time now, but I won't hold my breath.

Very thoughtful post above.

We are interested to know the "criminal" indictments. If the killed policeman's family is satisfied with a Baht 3M settlement of a wrongful death criminal case, I guess that's their business. That amount compared to the estimated wealth of the perpetrator's family is a piddling embarrassment that the policeman's family would accept that low a figure for criminal, negligent, wrongful death homicide, hit and run. It could have been any of us walking along or riding a bike.

Does anyone know what if anything the Ferrari dealership in Thailand, Cavallino Motorshttp://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx owned by the Red Bull third generation heir's father and the owner of Singha beer, has anything to say about safe operation of their cars? Very fitting that the above web site photo at the dealership that they all would have a champagne glass in their hands. The farang dude must be Cavallino. Does anyone know anything about Cavallino?

But the settlement and payment or "payoff" is also a concession of guilt.

Correct, but as you know will reduce the sentence.

It's Official. The "sweep it under the rug" process has begun!

Sadly I have to agree with you.

This is just the beginning to mimimise his evil doings and limit what he finally goes before the authoirities to answer to in the way of charges....if at all

The low life who tried to cover up for him and alter what acually happened will if history repeats itself in these cases involving high ranking officers, will eventually fade away and while he may suffer inconvenient behind the scene punishment, he will not get what he deserves... if at all.

Yet again another so called member of the infamous and so called elite will not get the deserved punishment and incarceration Thai law demands, based on the charges anyone else outside this group of the favoured law breakers would expect and rightly receive.

One ( non existant ) law for the rich and privilidged and one enforcable law for the non privilidged members of society.

The latter should be applicable to all law breakers.

It could if the Thai Authorities of Integrity in high places just for once used their privilidged positions to enforce the law in equal terms, make him accountable and give him the same penalties everyone deserves / can expect and most certainly should receive for the abhorant crimes they commit, not only in respect of traffic laws, but all Thai laws as per the respected contitution voted into place.

Shamefully on societies part I reckon it is a non starter and is going the usual predictable way.

marshbags

P.S.

*** The 3 mil bribe / settlement has again been kindly updated I,ve just noticed by Webfact in the next post.

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

Red Bull Heir settles with Family of Dead Policeman

By Staff Reporter

rb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The heir to the Red Bull family fortune, and grandson of the co-founder is reported to have reached an agreement with the family of the Policeman killed in a Bangkok hit and run.

Bangkok Police had previously arrested the young man, Worrayuth Yoovidhya, for his involvement in the high speed car accident which saw his Ferrari sports car strike and kill an off duty policeman on a motorcycle in Bangkok and subsequently leave the scene.

Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichien Klanprasert, The policeman had just come off duty and was riding toward his apartment when the Ferrari is said to have struck him at high speed, carrying or dragging the policemen’s body for some distance without stopping before leaving the scene.

The vehicle was only later found in the high security family compound in the city, during a well publicised police raid which hit the national and international headlines.

Authorities had initially been misled into believing that a member of the family’s staff had been driving the car but eye witness reports along with diligent police work during the investigation at the home lead to the arrest of the young heir.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...dead-policeman/

-- pattaya103.com 2012-09-26

footer_n.gif

I know things are different here in Thailand, and perhaps expectations are lower, but 3m compensation to me is just insulting.

The asshol_e's car alone is worth 10 x times that much. So by Thai accounting practices, the value of 1 x life is 1/10th that of the playboys car. A very sad indictment on Thai society (yet again).

• Like 1

And he'll walk away. What a joke. No wonder there's political division in this country. The "subsistence economy" might have a chance if the rich would join in, but the very idea of it offends the poor in the face of the utter and endless profligacy of the rich. As if it wasn't enough that the criminal ran over and killed somebody, he did it with a Ferrari!

When somebody is guilty of criminal negligence that kills somebody, its fine to negotiate away the civil liability. But nobody should be able to negotiate away the jail time that is due for the criminal offense. Wealth should have nothing to do with it.

And while the criminal part is not yet settled, there is a long line of cases one can review to see what will happen. It will either drag along until it is quietly forgotten, or they guy will be sentenced to a little jail time -- suspended.

• Like 1

I guess it was the family's choice to accept the settlement though I also guess the kids parents were relived that they didn't get some slick legal advice to reject the offer and push for a bigger settlement may be 10 times the amount.

The main thing now is to put the brat behind bars and ban him for driving for life.

He looked a bit of a prat in that stupid baseball hat but without it didn't realise what a superb specimen of a chinless wonder he is. Think he needs some cosmetic surgery round his girlie chin area.

Pathetic, disgraceful, disgusting.....but what we all knew would happen.

It amazes me that people are willing to condemn without thinking or knowing.

He is not yet convicted or proven innocent of criminal charges.

He has just made a settlement on a civil case.

It is not like he has bought a judgement if anything he has tried to make amends to what I am sure is the worst event in his short life.

He must live with it his whole life. I hear that the family will live their life with the terrible loss.

I am sure there is not one among us who has not make a mistake that did not endanger the life of others at some point. Thankfully most often it does not happen to end so badly so just maybe we should not condemn and feel so much hatred because he happens to be much richer than us and a member of the LSC. .

The hate of the rich never stops for you guys at your stonetables outside 7-eleven.sad.png As some of the posters above are longstayers here, they should be well aware of this is the way doing things in Thailand, whether you are rich of poor. Go to your local policestation every day of the week, and you will see many accidents being settled by paying a few thousend bath to the victims. And the perpetrator and the victim leaving the copshop together, big wais and smiles all around, because most importantly, noone lost face.

Btw I think, that 3M baht is very generous for an unmarried cop with no kids, meaning the money will go to his aging parents, securing them some good last days. The Thai way, for better or worse!wai.gif

Sigh....

It's not hatred for the rich...

it's not wanting to have one of my kids or my wife or myself hit by a coked up drunken guy in a Ferrari one day.

There needs to be some real accountability and punishment or more innocent people will die

Senor Pedro. It is all about hatred for the rich. The odds for you/your family getting hit by constructionworker Somchai, drunk out of his head on laokao, in his old pickup-truck, are very much higher. People are killed every day in Thailand by drunk drivers, with no reaction from anyone. At least 10 times a year policeofficers are killed by checkpoints by drunk/high drivers, at best the story gets 5 lines in the press. And No reaction whatsoever on Thaivisa w00t.gif . So don't tell me it is not about the money!

Normally posters here don't have any respect/love lost when it comes to the BIB, but when this guy was killed by a Ferrari, the very same posters make him an outstanding member of the force, who took care of is aging parents.ermm.gif His was probably on his way home from a bar somewhere, where he thanks to his uniform had been drinking free all night.

@TomTao. He was single. His ex-wife, who he divorced 7 years ago, came out of the woodworks after the accident, to get a piece of the action (read money) All very Thai.

• Like 1

The hate of the rich never stops for you guys at your stonetables outside 7-eleven.sad.png As some of the posters above are longstayers here, they should be well aware of this is the way doing things in Thailand, whether you are rich of poor. Go to your local policestation every day of the week, and you will see many accidents being settled by paying a few thousend bath to the victims. And the perpetrator and the victim leaving the copshop together, big wais and smiles all around, because most importantly, noone lost face.

Btw I think, that 3M baht is very generous for an unmarried cop with no kids, meaning the money will go to his aging parents, securing them some good last days. The Thai way, for better or worse!wai.gif

This. You are absolutely right especially about the 7-11 stone table, beer chang drinking, anti-rich thaivisa posters laugh.png

• Like 1

Chump change. If you think it is generous, would you be happy if someone killed you and family got 3 million baht? Dollars?

The usual insurance cover in Thailand for death caused by a motor vehicle driver is 2m baht. The family have agreed to an out of court settlement of 3m baht. They had every right to decline the compensation package offered and go down the route of a Civil claim through the Courts. The family have obviously have decided not to do so as once compensation is accepted and paid you lose all rights to a Civil claim action. Not defending the son's family as they could easily have afforded a higher out of court settlement, but that's the reality

Edited by simple1

It amazes me that people are willing to condemn without thinking or knowing.

He is not yet convicted or proven innocent of criminal charges.

He has just made a settlement on a civil case.

It is not like he has bought a judgement if anything he has tried to make amends to what I am sure is the worst event in his short life.

He must live with it his whole life. I hear that the family will live their life with the terrible loss.

I am sure there is not one among us who has not make a mistake that did not endanger the life of others at some point. Thankfully most often it does not happen to end so badly so just maybe we should not condemn and feel so much hatred because he happens to be much richer than us and a member of the LSC. .

This post b<r>ought to you by a Thai apologist. I am sure this guy is in mouning at the local High So girly bar. Sadly this is why as Westerners we shake our heads at how the rich abuse the poor and get away with it. Imagine if you did the same thing in America or Europe? it would not be pitance of compensation it would be >J A I L<. One day sadly sooner than later there is going to be some payback by the poor and hopefully it won't turn into what happenend in Cambodia. The thing that poor people start to understand no matter how rich you are its still the frailty of flesh and blood.

Unless you know something I don't, there's nothing on this page that says he won't be prosecuted for the offences he committed.

Judgement is being based on the outcomes of past cases . . . where no meaningful punishment is applied simply because the person is rich, has the right family name, or knows the right people. The Thai way.