Samsung Phones/tablets To Get Jelly Bean

Pib

Don't know if the info on this Blog Post is accurate or how they supposedly got the confirmation from Samsung, but the post says the following Samsung phones/tablets along with Samsung's flagship S3 will get the Jelly Bean update.

• Galaxy Tab 2.7.0
  • Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
  • Galaxy Note 10.1
  • Galaxy S II
  • Galaxy Note
  • Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
  • Galaxy S Advance
  • Galaxy S II LTE
  • Galaxy Music
  • Galaxy Chat
  • Galaxy Ace 2
  • Galaxy Beam
  • Galaxy Ace Plus
  • Galaxy Mini II
  • Galaxy S Duos

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sAMSUNG ARE a bunch of wanke_rs... they told me my gf's phone galaxy i9003 and my tab p1010 wifi could not be upgraded to ICS (both stuck on 2.3) claiming lack of space and processor power then they give JELLY bean to an 800mhz toy phone..

bunch of wanke_rs.. i personally will not buy another Samsung phone.

. . . i personally will not buy another Samsung phone.

That's fine . . . it's probably time for you to get over this and move on to another brand that suits you better.

They probably had reasons for not upgrading the devices in question that you're not fully aware of.

Off course they did.... profit.

Other manufacturers have managed fine to upgrade the OS. On units running the exact same proccessers etc.

If you don't find it strange that Samsung don't more fool you.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well . . . if you have the answer ("profit"), how did you get that answer? Who told you? Or are you just guessing?

And while you're guessing, please guess why my two devices are on the list for upgrades? If it's all about profits, why would they want to upgrade me?

Face it. An original Galaxy Tab (P-1010) is a two-year old device (from introduction.) That's ancient in the context of Android OS's. I would not expect that unit to be upgraded at this point. It wasn't upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, or even Honeycomb last year. So not getting Jelly Bean should not be a surprise to you either.

Sell it (or pass it down to someone that would be happy to have it) and get something current.

Well . . . if you have the answer ("profit"), how did you get that answer? Who told you? Or are you just guessing?

And while you're guessing, please guess why my two devices are on the list for upgrades? If it's all about profits, why would they want to upgrade me?

Face it. An original Galaxy Tab (P-1010) is a two-year old device (from introduction.) That's ancient in the context of Android OS's. I would not expect that unit to be upgraded at this point. It wasn't upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, or even Honeycomb last year. So not getting Jelly Bean should not be a surprise to you either.

Sell it (or pass it down to someone that would be happy to have it) and get something current.

And yet as ancient as the sum of parts that they are there are after market ICS roms available for both phones.. All i am getting at is Samsung do not go the extra mile to satisfy there customers like say SONY who have similar ancient devices already upgraded to ICS with JB coming soon.. defend them if you like. But personally i do not think that phones released in 2011 SHOULD be ancient now.

Edited by thaicbr

The Galaxy Tab was introduced at the IFA in Berlin in Sept 2010! That's before the predawn of history in tech terms.

Well. mine was launched March 2011 so it seems its just 'ancient'

the fact that android was supposed to be soooooo up-gradable it sucks that SOME manufacturers are not going the extra mile for their customers AND the rather silly attitude of some consumers saying its the predawn of tech history when there ARE phones with the same or similar hardware being upgraded or released with ICS and JB.. STOP making excuses for poor customer service.

I wouldn't touch Samsung if there weren't Custom ROMs avaiable. But since there are, I own several Samsung devices.

If you want to be mothered by your manufacturer, buy an iPhone and have one of the most insecure platforms out there without ever knowing it.

• Like 1

I think that major upgrades that either may require more hardware to run smoothly are not guaranteed by Samsung. If the release that came with the phone or the latest available release are already stable, then that's the #1 concern.

Keep in mind that, especially for phones in warranty, that samsung would have to fully support whatever upgrade they release. But that doesn't prevent you from putting your own rom on the phone. In fact, I understand you can have several roms at once if you want.

It might be time though to switch manufacturers if you think Samsung is holding back. If you email their customer support, they do listen and respond back in english. I myself am considering sony xperia.....but not sure about how support works for sony products here.

Got this as an automatic update on my Galaxy Nexus the other day.

It is screaming fast now! ! !

Can't say it did anything for the battery life, however.

Does Samsung feed "automatic" major upgrades of firmware? I know upgrades of Apps are automatically feed if you have your phone set-up that way (which I do), but firmware upgrades like going from ICS to Jelly Bean, Gingerbread to Jelly Bean, etc.

I thought firmware upgrades, like upgrading to Jelly Bean when it comes out, must be manually done and via a hard wire/USB connection versus it just happening as a upgrade received via Wifi/Mobile. I know when I do a Wifi Kies connect between Kies on my laptop and my Galaxy Ace 2, KIES says firmware upgrades can only be done via hardwire/USB connection. And I know "rooted" phones have other ways to do firmware upgrades...but I didn't think major upgrades/installs of Android firmware occurred just like a standard App update?

Edited by Pib

How and when will they upgrade? (I have a G Note).

Via Samsung Kies I expect....do it yourself through Kies...whenever the Jelly Bean upgrade is released.

Go to settings and about phone click on update software.

Does that upgrade the firmware if a firmware update like Gingerbread to Jelly Bean becomes available for my Ace 2? I thought that setting just updated some Samsung unique Apps.

Edit about 20 minutes later...never mind my question/statement above: Well, well, it is as easy as clicking Update under my phone's Software Update setting in the About Phone settings.

The manual I downloaded on my Ace II only said this about that setting:

About phone

Access information about your device, check the device’s

status, and update the device system.

But in doing a little googling apparently it is as easy a identified by Ban Sao based on the info at this Samsung web page. Now I just need to wait for the Jelly Bean upgrade to hopefully come out from my Ace 2. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

Got this as an automatic update on my Galaxy Nexus the other day.

It is screaming fast now! ! !

Can't say it did anything for the battery life, however.

Does Samsung feed "automatic" major upgrades of firmware? I know upgrades of Apps are automatically feed if you have your phone set-up that way (which I do), but firmware upgrades like going from ICS to Jelly Bean, Gingerbread to Jelly Bean, etc.

I thought firmware upgrades, like upgrading to Jelly Bean when it comes out, must be manually done and via a hard wire/USB connection versus it just happening as a upgrade received via Wifi/Mobile. I know when I do a Wifi Kies connect between Kies on my laptop and my Galaxy Ace 2, KIES says firmware upgrades can only be done via hardwire/USB connection. And I know "rooted" phones have other ways to do firmware upgrades...but I didn't think major upgrades/installs of Android firmware occurred just like a standard App update?

Never mind my comments above....I've now know major firmware upgrades apparently can be provided through the Sofware Update function in the About Phone menu area "for certain phones/versions of Android." But for certain other phones/versions it appears Kies with hardwire connection must be used based on the info at this Samsung page. Link.

Guess too little info in my Ace 2 manual, the Kies statement, and just reading about use of ROM flashing programs like Odin made me think all Android system upgrades/phones could not be provided basically the same way that Apps are updated...but some phones/Android versions can be updated that easily...maybe it depends on how big of a system upgrade a person is going to make...going from Gingerbreak to Jelly Bean would be big jump...going from ICS to Jelly Bean would be a small jump. I now know...got a little smarter today due to ThaiVisa (and Google). Cheers.

Edited by Pib

But in doing a little googling apparently it is as easy a identified by Ban Sao based on the info at this Samsung web page. Now I just need to wait for the Jelly Bean upgrade to hopefully come out from my Ace 2. Thanks.

Whoops...didn't include the Samsung web page reference before the Edit time period on the post ran out. Here it is: Link.

Appears for some phones/Android versions the update can be done via the Update function on the phone; but it appears for me going from Android 2.3.6 to Jelly Bean once Jelly Bean is hopefully released for the Ace II, it probably would require upgrade via Kies/hardwire connection. I'll wait and see...maybe it will be as easy as pressing Software Update on my phone. Cheers.

Edited by Pib

My Galaxy Nexus came out of the box with ICS. The update the other day required a reboot of the phone, which normally isn't required for app updates.

But thanks, those are interesting points you brought up and which I had never even considered.

Funny thing is, as the first phone to ship in the US with ICS, not all apps worked with my phone. When the SIII came out however, it seemed that many apps were updated right at that time.

One reason I bought the Galaxy Nexus was that it comes with "Vanilla" android OS, ie. it does not have any "UI" User Interface from the various manufacturers such as

Samsung -- TouchWiz

Motorola -- MotoBlur

HTC -- Sense (this is supposed to be quite nice actually but updates never happen for some phones.)

and so forth.

I wanted this both to be able to custom tweak the phone (which I haven't done), and also so any android OS upgrades could be done without having to wait for re-tooling of the various user interfaces.

My Galaxy Nexus came out of the box with ICS. The update the other day required a reboot of the phone, which normally isn't required for app updates.

Not sure but that may have been a point release, for 4.1.0 to 4.1.1?

I've been running the Google (Vanilla Bean) 4.1.1 for ~ month now on my SGS2 and really like it. I do miss a few Samsung apps. Note that a few apps. do not work with 4.1.1 as yet.

Every channel/subsidiary will handle point and major releases differently. Typically with an OTA notification of both/either and an OTA option for point releases and KiES for a major release.

I always recommend turning off any automatic updates, including those form the Play Store. Much better to review those manually before updating.

post-9615-0-81554300-1348838506_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-04999900-1348838518_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard of the jelly bean updates hitting yet. Kies is a Samsung program you can run on a PC and manually update your phone. But it's a bit peculiar in it's operation, and somewhat useless as when these upgrades to hit, they also become available as "over the air" updates. i.e. you wake up one morning and there's a notice on your phone screen that there's an upgrade available for your phone. Do you want to upgrade now? Y/N?

Many are expecting Android 4.1.x updates for the SGS2 to hit next month, November.

It may take several months for the ~ 100 or so releases to make it into the various update channels: service providers, OTA, KiES.

edited to add: it looks like some official releases for the SGS3 are rolling out now.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/

Edited by lomatopo

• 4 weeks later...

the Jelly Bean update to supposed flagship Samsung phone "Galaxy S3" is still not out in Thailand....Samsung get the lead out@!!!

Huh?

There has been an Android 4.1.1 release for THL I9300's out for over a month. Still no release, as near as I can determine, for the I9300T.

post-9615-0-38107800-1353317973_thumb.jp

the Jelly Bean update to supposed flagship Samsung phone "Galaxy S3" is still not out in Thailand....Samsung get the lead out@!!!

Huh?

There has been an Android 4.1.1 release for THL I9300's out for over a month. Still no release, as near as I can determine, for the I9300T.

I have the I9300T and have not recieved the OTA update....just sayin.

Curiousity question to anyone. Do device manufacturers

Huh?

I have the I9300T and have not recieved the OTA update....just sayin.

Maybe give this a try: Link. Seems to work for folks on Sprint...might work for you if an update is out for your phone. Now, I don't have a S3 but an Galaxy Ace 2 which is suppose to get the JB update also at some point....probably near the end of the Samsung update list since it a mid-level smartphone....but I gave the instructions a try on my Ace 2 (I'm on DTAC)....then when doing a Software Update check again it still said no update available...but like I said my Ace 2 is probably down the Samsung JB update list to get pushed out....all you high end Samsung device folks will most likely get the JB update much sooner. But last night I flashed JB 4.1.1 on my 6,000 baht Chinese tablet (an Onda V971) running ICS 4.0.3 and so far I haven't noticed any earth shaking differences...but I can now say I now have JB and wear the "I Have JB" patch. laugh.png