Bodindecha Parents Complain To Thai Govt Again: Education

webfact

Bodindecha parents complain to govt again

SUPINDA NA MAHACHAI

THE NATION

30191139-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Parents who protested so their children could continue studying at the prestigious Bodindecha (Sing Singhaseni) School complained of discriminatory treatment yesterday and demanded the Education Ministry step in again to help.

"Our children have not yet received their student ID cards. They also did not receive their academic reports," one of the parents said yesterday.

The parent's child is among the 36 students admitted to the school's afternoon programme, which was started especially for them following the protest.

Bodindecha (Sing Singhaseni) School initially refused to allow the grade-nine graduates to study in its senior secondary programme on the grounds that their academic records weren't good enough. The students and parents countered that the school's management had insinuated that not enough "tea money" had been paid.

After a protest, and a hunger strike at the Education Ministry, the students were admitted back to Bodin in the afternoon programme.

"We want normal-student status," a parent said on condition of anonymity yesterday.

Accompanied by many other parents, the parent brought the afternoon-class students to Deputy Education Minister Sakda Kongpet.

"We are now worried that our children may not be recognised by the country's education system later on. We hope they will be allowed to study in the normal programme, not the afternoon programme," the parent said.

The 36 afternoon-class students had to do extracurricular activities such as sport days on their own and could not participate in activities arranged for the rest of the pupils.

"It's very discriminatory," the parent added.

Sakda met with the parents and told them he would further discuss the matter with them tomorrow.

School director Suwat Wiwattananon said he had done his best to ensure the afternoon class had all benefits other students have. "But the Office of the Basic Education Commission has never had a regulation for afternoon-programme students before. So, we have to wait for Obec orders before we proceed with any official action related to these students," he explained.

He denied a parent's claim that he promised to admit the afternoon students into normal courses.

Obec secretary general Chinnapat Bhumirat said his agency was looking into things. "We have to determine whether the school has enough teachers and rooms to do so," he said.

On hearing that the 36 had not yet received their student ID cards, Chinnapat said the parents should have come to his office for help. "Why didn't they come to Obec?" he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-26

They look just like the concerned parents back home when the school program cuts and shutdowns first occurred.

To fight for your kids is universal, and educators sometimes need a spanking themselves or a permanent career change.

The Bastards. Money vs. people. winner again is.

Sounds like a great school.

Just like all the other Thai schools. Teachers do very little except ask for money to ensure that students get their grades and ask for more money to ensure that the grades are good. This is education in Thailand. Teach at a young age how to be corrupt and what corruption is. And then demonstrate the act of corruption.

My sister in law was asked (commanded?) to attend a parents meeting at the school last week. The big announcement was that the 12 year olds were about to be given tablets. The following day a man, who stated that he was a friend of one of the teachers, called at the house and said he would teach her child how to use the thing for only 20 baht a lesson. He had apparently recruited all of her daughter's class. a nice little earner. The inference that I draw that this was a task beyond the capabilities of the child's teacher.

My sister in law was asked (commanded?) to attend a parents meeting at the school last week. The big announcement was that the 12 year olds were about to be given tablets. The following day a man, who stated that he was a friend of one of the teachers, called at the house and said he would teach her child how to use the thing for only 20 baht a lesson. He had apparently recruited all of her daughter's class. a nice little earner. The inference that I draw that this was a task beyond the capabilities of the child's teacher.

I think if he came to my house my 8 year old son would be teaching the teacher and for more than 20 baht a lesson.

Every child has a right to education. The fact this school wants tea money - just disgusts me.

Agreed. The problem is that every school demands tea money.

Tea money is no problem - but let's make it anonymous:) The money should be used to improve the school and facilities and not used to line the pockets of fat cat school directors! I'm still amazed that government schools are allowed to do this. I wait to see the day these so called 'famous schools' for the rich die out, and the poor have a fair chance of a decent education.

Sounds like a great school.

Just like all the other Thai schools. Teachers do very little except ask for money to ensure that students get their grades and ask for more money to ensure that the grades are good. This is education in Thailand. Teach at a young age how to be corrupt and what corruption is. And then demonstrate the act of corruption.

If it was teachers always asking for money I'd be rich by now whistling.gif It's the school admin and directors who are profiteering ! All those donations...all the tuition fees disappear into some void never to be seen again by mere teachers. Very little is put back into improving facilities for teachers and schools as I see it....ask any teacher how they feel about using comps with 64 mb or ram! At least the students comps are more powerful.

I have one child in a private bilingual school where even the most metally challenged dribbling idiot will still pass every subject as long as his parents cough up the fees. My other is at a top end government school where they are advised from Matayom 1 that if the grades are not above a certain level then they will be booted out after M3. No doubt the rich can pay the money to stay there, however the kids and parents all know the score, possibly why so many are at after school tutors. Many do actually fail classes and it is very competitive.

In fact I think my former lawyer was one of the said dribbling idiots as I had to lay out the whole case strategy for him as he rolled his eyes and grinned, took him quite a while to get it. In fact he never did, seems he was a friend of the judge, but that is yet another story.