Burn

ThailandBert

Just a quick one for a little advice. Whilst making some Yorkshire pudding yesterday while getting the tray out of the oven I spilt some hot oil on my hand between my finger and thumb. Not that painful and the joy of eating the puddings took away any pain biggrin.png

This morning however there is a large blister between my finger and thumb filled with water. Do I just leave it as it is or do I lance it and cover it ? It isn't painful just a little uncomfortable. Thanks Bert

Mario Hi. I ran it under the tap for a minute or so and at the time it didn't really hurt that much. it is just today got a bit of a shock when I took my shower and there is this large, about the size of a garden slug bubble appeared on my hand. Again not really painful; as such just a little uncomfortable.

I need to look out for a good old oven glove which I have been saying I was going to do for years here but never got round to it. Maybe after this I will finally get one biggrin.png

Cheers again Bert

You can lance a burns blister but keep the skin intact. Rather use a povidone iodine based cream or solution for a dressing. The underlying skin will regenerate in only a few days for this type of burn. Keep it dry is usually best for small areas.

The Dettol (and other) creams are hygroscopic iow will make the wound "weep" and this can lead to a superficial infection. Savlon, Dettol etc are not bactericidal solutions, only bacteriostatic; the povidone (Betadine) based products are better in these circumstances.

If there seems to be an infection under the blister skin, best to remove it and use a betadine based product/dressing on it. The reason for leaving the skin of the blister intact is to allow the new cells growing in the injury to grow in a "physiological" solution which enhances healing and reduces scar formation.