Fearing Loss Of Visa Fees, Thailand Opts Out Of Common Visa Plan

george

thailand, so much better and smarter than everyone else in the world, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

keep inforcing stupidig rules (90 days, re-entry stamp) and others, to make expats chose the more right choice in the future, to not stay and spend so much money in the king"dom"

• Like 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news for all Visa runners.

If Thailand had joined they would not make visas to Thailand in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma.

Maybe yes maybe no.

If the sole requirement is to leave Thailand via a border and re-enter, this would still work.

The Schengen type rules don't say no border checks, just a collective visa issued for tourists.

I think they could just create a resident border runners stamp and that's it.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Thailand always has to be petty and bloody-minded, doesn`t it? Quite unlike the US, France, UK etc.

I know I am on the wrong thread here, but I left Suvarnabhumi on the 11th for a quick trip to the UK. I was through Passport Control in five minutes. I arrived in Newcastle - NEWCASTLE, not Heathrow or Gatwick and waited a sodding hour to get through Immigration there.

Let them do things their way. They do get it right in the end after exhausting all the other options...

Yes...Thailand will get there...like how they are still working on inventing the wheel...right now it kinda in a square shape... but they'll eventually get it right and round...they'll also probably rename it to the Hub.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is sad...but not unexpected. All of the other countries named worship the West--and especially its undisputed Ruler, the US--as near-gods. The Thais, however, view all non-Thais--including farangs, and probably especially Americans--as virtually subhuman, and far inferior to the THAI MASTER RACE.

This world view of the Thais has both its good and bad points. The good points include self-confidence, which is always good and inspires positive, hard work. One of the bad points is their sheer and utter arrogance, and belief that they know everything about everything, which leads to, well, what we're seeing here...the Thais see themselves as different, and in fact BETTER, than their neighbors (and even better than the farangs). IMNSHO, this will be their downfall in this century. Well, that and the fact that 60% or more of Bangkok will be under water by the end of the century...

• Like 1

Can't see why they would want to join the scheme. If they did then people from UK, USA, etc would need to pay for a visa to Thailand, whereas it's free at the moment. So I don't see what Thailand has to gain by joining. It is more likely to drive tourists away if they have to apply for a visa to come here.

Getting a visa is not free..

Coming on a visa exempt entry is free..

In this case, due to Thailands central location and bangkok airport being more international than the others, it should be that more people would pay for Thai visas and transit onto other countries as part of a tour, then go to other countries first and transit onto Thailand. Looks to me like fear of loss is costing them greater expansion.

I dont know people, getting into Thailand is a lot easier than getting into Australia, as long as it remains fairly easy to do I dont mind at all. For me to take my wife to Australia it costs a fortune and there is just so much bullsh*t you have to go through just to get a temporary visa, dont even think about tring to get one to live there.

Dennis

Quote:

I have to agree with you. Also the other countries listed in the scheme, don't have an airport hub. Many people fly to Thailand before going to Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos.

I expect China will build them a shiny new one soon so they can ship in more Chinese nationals & supplies for all their new companies.

hmm.....

I don't really see how this could be a bad thing for Thailand (Unless the other countries wanted Thailand to change their visa exempt policy as well), or wanted to nerf Thailand's share of the profits because Thailand provides free entry for most people.

Since with most arrivals being visa exempt for 30 days, their visa revenue probably isn't that much. Also most of the non visa exempt tourists, would probably just want to just come to Thailand, so would probably still purchase a Thai only visa for 1000 THB. And if they wanted to travel to Cambodia/Myanmar/Vietnam/Lao as well, they could then buy a 5 country visa for say 2000 or 3000 THB (They could set whatever fee seemed appropriate, the ease of having 1x visa would probably outweigh cost saving for most people).

Only downfall of the scheme, is unless the organisation could convince Thailand to also charge a visa fee, then a lot of people wouldn't bother with a 5 country visa, since they're visa exempt in Thailand anyway, so if only travelling to say Cambodia & Thailand, then they'd only need a Cambodian visa, so a 5 country visa wouldn't be necessary. But that'd be the downfall for most other countries, not for Thailand lol, since Thailand wouldn't be getting revenue from a Cambodian visa regardless.

Singapore & Malaysia don't want to involve in this because they know exactly how strict the visa screening procedures are in other ASEAN countries. rolleyes.gif

Never been to Singapore don't know how strict they are. Been to Malaysia and it was no harder to get in than Thailand when I first came as a visitor. I have been t Cambodia and Indionisa and the screening was no different than my first visit to Thailand. Burma it was no screening just paper work. That was when we traveled through it to the Chinese border. On the tour it was the guide who handled all the paper work. I think they are cutting back on it now. For just entering the country to get a reentry to Thailand is 500 baht 0r $10 U S. Cambodia it was $25 American. Don't know about Loa

Seems to me that Thailand may receive no benefit in the short run but in the long run they will loose. Who knows those other countries might even make it easier for retirement visa's. No 90 day reporting. I know the weeping and the wailing here in Chiang Mai is bad They don't have the time in there busy retirement life to go in once every three months to report in. It has taken me 5 minutes to 2 hours every time I did it on a average about 15 minutes over 6 years. Or they can mail it in or have there wife take it in. But no they prefer to feel they are being picked on.

I see the hand of the paper manufacturers, photocopier lease companies and file storage companies in this. If we no longer have to fill out all those bits of paper to get a visa in Thailand, all the above would stand to lose significant revenue.

What on earth does a place like Chaeng Wattana immigration do with the mountains of paper it must generate everyday?

• Like 1

Typical of so many Thai haters on TV to bash something that they have little understanding of.

Do some people also realise that the UK is not part of the Schengen visa arrangement? For a Thai wishing to visit both Europe and the UK, they would have to apply for both a Schengen and UK visa. The UK is losing billions of tourist revenue as a result - I know this because I'm in the trade.

I dont know people, getting into Thailand is a lot easier than getting into Australia, as long as it remains fairly easy to do I dont mind at all. For me to take my wife to Australia it costs a fortune and there is just so much bullsh*t you have to go through just to get a temporary visa, dont even think about tring to get one to live there.

Dennis

Australia is a piece of cake compared to the states and Canada. North America the Paranoia hub of the world.

Now if they wanted to take that to the next level. Charge people a couple hundred bucks to renew their visa in country, rather then having to leave. They would make a ton of cash there and semi-residents wouldn't be spending money on hotels, etc. in neighboring countries that could be spent on Thai soil.

They already do this for visa extensions? Only if you need a new visa, or if your visa is about to expire and can't be renewed, do you need to leave the country.

And good point about the potential loss of income for Thailand if other tourists can more easily travel to Cambodia/Lao etc, as yes you have a good point, the $ earned from having tourists spending more time in Thailand, would significantly outweigh what they might gain in visa fees.

Cambodia/Lao etc should probably just allow people to come in Visa exempt, that'd be more lucrative for them (Even if they just trialled it with the really rich countries at first)

Given Thailand's free visa status in one way I can understand, but it seems to me (on reading the article) that rather than being part of the 'team', for the loss of a relatively small sum compared to the huge wastage in the budget elsewhere, it smacks of short sighted greed. Does any body know if there will need to be more standardised visa regulations after ASEAN ?

Hello Sly,

Yes on the visa extension I know you do it in country I am on year 6 now I think without ever having to leave and just 90 day reporting. I ment the people who come on a non-O or a B multiple. or even for that matter on a 30 day tourist visa. ie: stamp at airport or even 15 day at a land crossing. Let them go into immigration and extend there and charge them a fee for it rather then going to Lao or elsewhere. They would be happy to pay and not have to go spend money in a neighboring country.

just my two-bits

• Like 1

Very short sighted and in the long term disasterous. So Thailand earns $ 1 Billion from all the Chinese tourists and it is worried about this, yet the government in one year will spend 350 Billion on rice pledging, 350 billion on Flood management, and 300 billion on computer tablets ???? Thailand needs to learn that with ASEAN coming along, there is no place for protectionism. Protectionism seems good, but in the medium to long term for an economy it spells big big trouble.

This Thai government won't see it this way - all that they will see is the potential of losing (some) of 1 billion baht.

They have a habit of seeing the headlines and not bothering to read the story. Anything that reduces the opportunity for making a bit of money for themselves is seen as a negative, as well!!!!

I am having a hard time seeing all the negative feedback here. Or wait a second I forgot, all you ever hear is negative feedback about Thailand on this forum.

Been a while since I needed to do a visa run but if memory serves at least 50 bucks to get into any of the other countries.

Free in Thailand!!

Also Ma and Pa Kettle hop on a plane - fly to BKK then think, "hey I have a visa, lets goto Cambodia" instead of just staying in Thailand spending their money here.

The fact is this is not short sited on Thailand's part, it makes good sense, they are the regional tourist destination and where most people start, they get more tourist then all the others combined. If they make it really easy for you to cross the border - you will.

Remember we are talking about tourists here, not Non-O or semi-residents, they are in the region for a week tro a month and gone.

Now if they wanted to take that to the next level. Charge people a couple hundred bucks to renew their visa in country, rather then having to leave. They would make a ton of cash there and semi-residents wouldn't be spending money on hotels, etc. in neighboring countries that could be spent on Thai soil.

I would have to agree with your take on this topic. Nicely put

• Like 2

Good news for all Visa runners.

If Thailand had joined they would not make visas to Thailand in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma.

So it would have been the chance to think about the kind of visa the "Runners" are using. There *is* a difference between a tourist and people staying long term. whistling.gif
  • Like 1

There's really not much change is there?

Countries in the region that currently require a visa for all travellers are joining together to allow a common visa.

Those that don't require a visa for most nationalities, i.e. Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand are not joining the scheme.

Can't see it will make any difference to Thailand or either of the other two countries at all.

.What on earth does a place like Chaeng Wattana immigration do with the mountains of paper it must generate everyday?

They send it all to Chiang Mai immigration, where it is all bundled up, taken to the hills and set alight every March..............they then blame the farmers. wink.png

• Like 1

Maybe good new if I can get one of those tourist visa to visit Vietnam,Laos or Cambodia without having to buy 3 visas as it is now.

As an expat living in Thailand it should be good new.....Anybody know if local Vietnam-Laos and Cambodia will deliver those visas in Bangkok ?

On this matter...Thailand made the right choice. Why should the country get less when they are the dominant tourist city? Come on people...which farang would travel half the world to this region and not enter Thailand but only Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam??? Do you think Chinese tourist cannot afford to pay visa fees to enter Thailand? Please...those Chinese nationals who can afford to travel ain't the average Joes! More over...nobody enters China without a visa and it's fees. So what's the big issue about Chinese tourist paying visa?