How Serious Is The Thai Govt About Fighting Corruption?

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a certain immigration office on an island not so far away, the asked fee for a retirement visa is B5000, despite the big sign listing the price as B1900. The correct fee will be charged if you query that, but expect "unforeseen" complications next year.

Meanwhile, should you wish to purchase a vehicle, you will need a letter from them stating that you have the correct visa. Only B500, though the RRP is FREE.

On the same island, a select number of entertainment venues have an extended "licence" that allows them to trade (quite noisily) until 5am. AFAIK there is no Thai law (except the golden rule) that allows this.

The current government is serious about corruption, but not fighting it.

A doctor in a hospital in a mountainous city in Northern Thailand allows patience the get operations covered by the 30 baht insurance scheme only after a nice donation under the table is made. No payment, long waiting list! I have witnessed this last week and couldn't believe my eyes! Corruption everywhere!

In a certain immigration office on an island not so far away, the asked fee for a retirement visa is B5000, despite the big sign listing the price as B1900. The correct fee will be charged if you query that, but expect "unforeseen" complications next year.

Meanwhile, should you wish to purchase a vehicle, you will need a letter from them stating that you have the correct visa. Only B500, though the RRP is FREE.

On the same island, a select number of entertainment venues have an extended "licence" that allows them to trade (quite noisily) until 5am. AFAIK there is no Thai law (except the golden rule) that allows this.

A doctor in a hospital in a mountainous city in Northern Thailand allows patience the get operations covered by the 30 baht insurance scheme only after a nice donation under the table is made. No payment, long waiting list! I have witnessed this last week and couldn't believe my eyes! Corruption everywhere!

I've never had to deal with corruption here before, but reading all these stories is depressing.

How many posters, over the years, some many, have seen this very same statement of intent 'to clean up corruption here'?

It is good that people make their feelings felt. But even in the case of K. Dusadee, where Thas' were equally incensed, nothing has been done to reverse just this one man's departure.

It is truly sad for the population of Thailand, but, if no one is willing (as I myself have done) to stand up to this endemic corruption here, in small or large part (Thai, marches a la Mexico et al, we farang cannot), nothing will ever be done. Where is the drive akin to keep at bay the likes of Taksin? They can effectively co-ordinate resistance toward just one person many deem a potential threat to their way of life, why not a much more pressing danger to their country? Are they really that myopic?

Edited by silsburyhill

Where is the drive akin to keep at bay the likes of Taksin? They can effectively co-ordinate resistance toward just one person many deem a potential threat to their way of life, why not a much more pressing danger to their country? Are they really that myopic?

Perhaps they think that well, things still work to an extent that they are comfortable with. So there's no reason to rock that particular boat.

In neighbouring Malaysia though, hundreds of thousands are marching down the capital's streets calling for an end to corruption and the enactment of free and fair elections: https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=713

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersih

Edited by Chads

How do you change a way of life? Corruption and nepotism are an in-bred part of Thai society from birth, not only in politics, but in everything that they do from the top to the bottom. It's a way of life and , in my opinion, will never change.

• Like 1

Trouble with Thailand at its core is not corruption - that's only a symptom. The real problem is laziness. In 'wealthy' countries people want wealth but they (meaning most) don't then plan or want to sit about doing nothing if they ever achieve this. Thias see wealth has not only a ticket to laziness but also a way to concurrently achieve another goal of being able to boss about servants & "be on top" (whilst 'lying down' all day). In Thailand the goal of most corrupt people (as well as the non corrupt) is to have enough money to "buy laziness" and not first & foremost to create a better lifestyle per-se.

This laziness (at the core of most Thais) is the reason no one can be bothered to create much of a stink about corruption. And therefore why the media dont create much stink and politicians dont do much about it; because the population is too lazy to demand it.

You hit the nail right in the coffin, bro. The ticket to ultimate laziness…

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that history tells us that many Asians admire what they would call a 'strong' leader. Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma, Thailand. All of these countries have or have had authoritarian rule. This is not a racist remark but is there something in the Asian mindset which preferentially will accept authoritarianism whilst willingly ignoring corruption. It seems to me they go hand in hand because a government without a strong and independent judiciary and transparency in all its dealings cannot get away with corruption. Thailand has the government it's people want and deserve.

• Like 1

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that history tells us that many Asians admire what they would call a 'strong' leader. Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma, Thailand. All of these countries have or have had authoritarian rule. This is not a racist remark but is there something in the Asian mindset which preferentially will accept authoritarianism whilst willingly ignoring corruption. It seems to me they go hand in hand because a government without a strong and independent judiciary and transparency in all its dealings cannot get away with corruption. Thailand has the government it's people want and deserve.

I understand that you're not trying to be racist and I don'f think you are. But I'd like to share that among the countries you mentioned, the movement against corruption by the public and activists is much higher in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Also in those countries, and in Singapore and Burma, the people have been working to get rid of the 'strong' authoritarian leader/s.

So perhaps it was a mindset as Southeast Asia was in the earlier stages of development. But it's currently not the case.

Edited by Chads
  • Like 2

I don't agree. The Philippines got rid of Marcos, Indonesia same with sukarno & Suharto, Mahathir retired, Vietnam - who knows, Burma is rapidly ridding itself of the dictators & Thailand is part way there. The only country that fits into your description is Singapore, which you didn't mention.

I don't agree. The Philippines got rid of Marcos, Indonesia same with sukarno & Suharto, Mahathir retired, Vietnam - who knows, Burma is rapidly ridding itself of the dictators & Thailand is part way there. The only country that fits into your description is Singapore, which you didn't mention.

Though I'd like to add that Singapore is on the way to join the rest of those countries. In last years elections, a record 40% of the population voted against the resident 'strongman' and his party which have ruled for 50 years. Those numbers are only set to increase.

Edited by Chads
  • Like 1

"The Bt350-billion flood prevention project was said to be the most corrupt of all. Mongkolkrit Suksintharanont of the anti-corruption alliance said more than Bt250 billion of the project's budget had already been swallowed by influential persons, leaving only Bt100 billion to run the project.

It was widely reported that the chief of the Office of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, Dusadee Arayawuth, had been sacked after discovering corruption in the flood disaster compensation budget."

Reading articles like this nearly every day makes me loosing faith, that Thailand will ever be able to get rid of the cancer of corruption. What pisses me off the most is the unbelievable hypocrisy shown by the people who are promoted or elected to control and stop the rampant corruption.

You had faith to begin with?

Where is the sitting government's own anti corruption plan for all its MP's and teams including their convicted fugitive criminal PM in Dubai?

Yes It's like, In the blue corner we have the government and in the red corner we have..... Oh wait a minuet weeee have the government?

Corruption runs very deep in society and with the government/armed forces. It will take someone very honest and sincere to even be able to start to end it. Plus a lot of blood will be spilt.

Mai Pen Rai.

jb1

I've never had to deal with corruption here before, but reading all these stories is depressing.

I can guess that you have never had dealing with the BiB or the government.

I can guess that you have never had dealing with the BiB or the government.

Yes I haven't. And perhaps fortunately.

Trouble with Thailand at its core is not corruption - that's only a symptom. The real problem is laziness. In 'wealthy' countries people want wealth but they (meaning most) don't then plan or want to sit about doing nothing if they ever achieve this. Thias see wealth has not only a ticket to laziness but also a way to concurrently achieve another goal of being able to boss about servants & "be on top" (whilst 'lying down' all day). In Thailand the goal of most corrupt people (as well as the non corrupt) is to have enough money to "buy laziness" and not first & foremost to create a better lifestyle per-se.

This laziness (at the core of most Thais) is the reason no one can be bothered to create much of a stink about corruption. And therefore why the media dont create much stink and politicians dont do much about it; because the population is too lazy to demand it.

Interesting conjecture, you may well be right, Thais often only work when they suddenly find they have no money and bills to pay even though they have been to busy relaxing! Perhaps they all leave it to someone else.

Where is the sitting government's own anti corruption plan for all its MP's and teams including their convicted fugitive criminal PM in Dubai?

Yes It's like, In the blue corner we have the government and in the red corner we have..... Oh wait a minuet weeee have the government?

Corruption runs very deep in society and with the government/armed forces. It will take someone very honest and sincere to even be able to start to end it. Plus a lot of blood will be spilt.

Mai Pen Rai.

jb1

A lot more than one sincere person to come along I fear, what this lot needs is a bit of colonisation, show them some real law enforcement!
  • Like 1