Carry Concealed Gun In Chiang Mai?

mesquite

After reading most of this,it can be a little of topic,but the only reason I would opted for a legal gun permit is the "road rage" situation in here...seems like a lot of Thais are actually carry guns...legally or not...so what do you do,if they cut you off and you react "normally"...honk,or flush your lights ??!!...they get enraged and flush the gun...what do you do?

Drive like them ignore it. Road rage is news worthy here in Thailand it is so common back in North America it is very rarely mentioned in the news papers or TV.. Thai's just ignore it. Seems like it is deeply ingrained in many westerners. I know a couple of drivers here who are constantly getting pissed off at the Thai drivers both of them have been here almost 20 years. I have been here six years and I don't drive a car or ride a bike. But there are times when sitting in the back of songthel I can feel myself getting upset at the antic's of the Thai drivers.

Go figure

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you live out in the mountains in the middle of nowhere a gun is needed, bandits DO exist in the mountains.

Very dark hearts and killing is nothing to them.

In the city though, the best policy is to turn the other cheek.

If that doesnt work just carry a very big knife.

5_Nd5_Kb5_M93_Ef3_G93o6c9he252b4983a801067.jpg

thats not my hand

This topic never really had, and certainly does not have now any relevance to Chiang Mai. Why does it continue?

Mapguy - why do you care? Clearly this topic continues, like any other topic that continues, because posters are interested in discussing it. You are the one making irrelevant posts here.

After reading most of this,it can be a little of topic,but the only reason I would opted for a legal gun permit is the "road rage" situation in here...seems like a lot of Thais are actually carry guns...legally or not...so what do you do,if they cut you off and you react "normally"...honk,or flush your lights ??!!...they get enraged and flush the gun...what do you do?

Smile and act as if drunk.

Smile and act as if drunk.

That actually may work...thumbsup.gif

I've fired a 9mm once in my life during military training (Air Force). I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the feeling of the gun in my hands. I think I sweated profusely while going through the exercise. I imagine, though, some must really like the power that comes along with holding a gun. I would it might make one feel like they have a HUGE DONG. Is there anyone out there that would actually admit that?

When I was self employed, I used to carry about $5k+ in cash.. It's not a ton of money, but rolled up, it looks like a lot. I'd admit it did make me feel a bit different. I'm just wondering if this is the same feeling that people get with carrying guns? My guess is a stack of bills would maybe make a woman a bit excited. What's the allure of being able to blow someone's head off? I'm guessing it's the power. And that translates to sexuality? Do some women like the idea of a guy that carries a gun? I'm guessing some do.

hello dolly "There is a gun shop at star arena go in and ask them. They have quite a few for sale."

Last time I looked that shop was no longer in buisness.

Anyone know where it moved to ?

There is one shop on Chang Moi, take the soi to the right just before the traffic lights and you'll find it 20 meters on the left side.

I've fired a 9mm once in my life during military training (Air Force). I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the feeling of the gun in my hands. I think I sweated profusely while going through the exercise. I imagine, though, some must really like the power that comes along with holding a gun. I would it might make one feel like they have a HUGE DONG. Is there anyone out there that would actually admit that?

When I was self employed, I used to carry about $5k+ in cash.. It's not a ton of money, but rolled up, it looks like a lot. I'd admit it did make me feel a bit different. I'm just wondering if this is the same feeling that people get with carrying guns? My guess is a stack of bills would maybe make a woman a bit excited. What's the allure of being able to blow someone's head off? I'm guessing it's the power. And that translates to sexuality? Do some women like the idea of a guy that carries a gun? I'm guessing some do.

I don't have any desire to have a gun in CM and can't speak to the motivations for the OP but I grew up around guns in a rural area and they were just a normal part of life. They weren't an extension of people's manhood or at least not in any way I saw. They were just a part of the culture that included a lot of hunting and an attitude of taking care of your own protection.

I didn't really enjoy hunting so other than a couple of outings I never did much although the vast majority of my friends from that area were (and still are) avid hunters. I don't remember any of them having a great need to demonstrate their virility or any women drooling over men who happened to be holding a gun.

Now maybe there is some psycho-sexual subculture that I wasn't aware of although I was deep in the heart of a region in which owning a gun is completely natural and it would seem that it would reveal itself if it was common.

But even though I never really hunted, I always enjoyed shooting guns, first bb and pellet guns and then rifles. And in the Air Force I really enjoyed the few times we shot M16s.

Anyway, as foreign and odd as gun ownership is to some people, the fear of guns is just as odd to others. I've lived with both and have no more fear being around people who happen to have guns than I do with those that are afraid of them.

Op. Had a similar thread running a number of years back, though merely for home protection. It is a tough enough process to have one at home in your name, but pretty sure generic farangs cannot carry (would you want to be living here if you felt the need to), unless with posted DEA or similar, and even then I think the tool stays in the car.

This topic never really had, and certainly does not have now any relevance to Chiang Mai. Why does it continue?

Why didn't you just give your second answer instead of the troll? Threads will always, ALWAYS, get sidetracked; it's what makes sites like this tick. If everyone stuck rigidly to the subject matter, George might as well purchase a new domain such as thaivisaforlemmings.com and 401 there. It's a lighthearted, free internet forum for all types not a paid-for service for fuddy-duddies on how one must live in Chiang Mai. If the subject doesn't appeal, why not just pass or perhaps head here: http://www.thaivisa....ng-in-thailand/. wink.png

Edited by jackr
  • Like 2

I have been around firearms my whole life. I grew up around them, served in the military, and had jobs where carrying and being proficient in firearms were a job requirement.

I was really surprised by some of the comments about gun ownership ranging from, “old Cowboy and Indian mentality” to “make one feel like they have a HUGE DONG.” I have never worked with or been around people that thought owning or carrying a firearm was related to the above mentioned ridiculous comments.

Basically, if you don’t like firearms then don’t purchase one. If you are immature enough to think owning a firearm is somehow a “cowboy and indian mentally or has something to do with the size of your penis, then you definitely should not own one.

I think for a foreigner living in Thailand, it generally isn’t a good idea to carry a firearm. If you ever discharge that weapon other than at a firing range, it will not go well for you.

• Like 2

I have been around firearms my whole life. I grew up around them, served in the military, and had jobs where carrying and being proficient in firearms were a job requirement.

I was really surprised by some of the comments about gun ownership ranging from, “old Cowboy and Indian mentality” to “make one feel like they have a HUGE DONG.” I have never worked with or been around people that thought owning or carrying a firearm was related to the above mentioned ridiculous comments.

Basically, if you don’t like firearms then don’t purchase one. If you are immature enough to think owning a firearm is somehow a “cowboy and indian mentally or has something to do with the size of your penis, then you definitely should not own one.

I think for a foreigner living in Thailand, it generally isn’t a good idea to carry a firearm. If you ever discharge that weapon other than at a firing range, it will not go well for you.

I absolutely agree with you here...but what do you mean by " If you ever discharge that weapon other than at a firing range, it will not go well for you. " ?

When someone is talking about guns the way the OP did it looks like he has a gun fetish.

I do agree with your assessment you better not have a gun in Thailand and use it outside a range.

I still stand with my opinion that i rather not have many guns around as people might use it when they are in a clouded state of mind doing harm to others while if there was no gun around or it took considerable effort to get one it would not have happened. Just look at the recent Minnesota shooting to see what i mean.

I absolutely agree with you here...but what do you mean by " If you ever discharge that weapon other than at a firing range, it will not go well for you. " ?

As a foreigner, if you were to shoot someone it will not be taken lightly by law enforcement or the courts. The outcome of your actions would have a negative effect on your happy life in Thailand, lol.

As a foreigner, if you were to shoot someone it will not be taken lightly by law enforcement or the courts. The outcome of your actions would have a negative effect on your happy life in Thailand, lol.

That was my first thought(selective law enforcement),but "retaliation" came to mind as well ...

• Like 1

I agree; the "tried by 12 vs. buried by 6" calculation is very different here than in the old country. That said, I think the legal outcome would likely be in your favor in an obvious home defense situation. Both from a legal standpoint and you being in a better position to make the right assessment. Other than the 'in Thailand, lol' part I certainly agree with your second sentence as well, regardless of the legal outcome.

When someone is talking about guns the way the OP did it looks like he has a gun fetish.

I do agree with your assessment you better not have a gun in Thailand and use it outside a range.

I still stand with my opinion that i rather not have many guns around as people might use it when they are in a clouded state of mind doing harm to others while if there was no gun around or it took considerable effort to get one it would not have happened. Just look at the recent Minnesota shooting to see what i mean.

A quick Freudian analysis indicates that when someone is writing in the style that you are, it looks like he is interested in having sex with his mother.

as long as we are throwing out statistics.....

"

• In or about 2006, there were about 60 million (actually closer to 58M, but we'll use the rounded-up number to be kind to hopolophobes) people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.
  • In England and Wales alone discounting Scotland there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.
  • By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.
  • In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.
  • In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).
  • In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).
  • That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US."

Just can't give up that old Cowboy and Indian mentality can they? We've got enough cranky Thai's running around tooled up without importing more gun totin' hombre's. Why not go back to the ranges from whence thou came and shoot holes in them thar redskins?

exactly..

• The number of gun related deaths in America, where guns are legal, is 2600% higher than England, where guns aren"t legal. I can"t help but think, the person in charge of legalising guns feels the same way about Americans as I do...ouch

I know which I would rather be on the receiving end of....the knife and fork crime in uk

I prefer the receiving end of the engorged nipple crime. Someone has to do it.

Talking about American attitudes.....I was looking at something in lawyers.com a law student was asking advice because his school had changed a class from evening to day and it might be difficult for him to attend.

His question to lawyers.com:.......not "shall I have a chat with the office and tell them my problem?"....not "could I ask for a return of my fee or other alternatives?".....no his first question was "Can I sue?".

Of course OP this isn't you. But may I ask a question?

Meaningful guns are heavy. Fair enough if you,re driving a patrol car.

But is the risk and reward in quiet old Chiangmai worth a lifetime's discomfort?

Edited by cheeryble

A quick Freudian analysis indicates that when someone is writing in the style that you are, it looks like he is interested in having sex with his mother.

Now there's a new twist. Usually the gun guys claim that anyone who isn't afraid to go out - or even stay home - without a gun must be homosexual.

Those that need to carry weapons of any sort, are in the wrong country.

The countries that allow weapons to be owned by 'right' need not export their crazy ideas here.

Yes, there are a few crazy Thais who cannot control their road rage and have to shoot it out, but why not wait for the next stage coach and head outa town?

"Talking about American attitudes.....I was looking at something in lawyers.com a law student was asking advice because his school had changed a class from evening to day and it might be difficult for him to attend.

His question to lawyers.com:.......not "shall I have a chat with the office and tell them my problem?"....not "could I ask for a return of my fee or other alternatives?".....no his first question was "Can I sue?".

-------------------

Yes, 1 out of 314,478,661 is plenty (for some people) to reach conclusions about the attitudes of a country where more than 300 languages are spoken, for example.

Now there's a new twist. Usually the gun guys claim that anyone who isn't afraid to go out - or even stay home - without a gun must be homosexual.

Pretty sure Mesquite was kind of making a joke after somebody claimed the OP appeared to have a gun fetish.

Who are the "gun guys?" I never heard anyone equate not owning a gun with homosexuality. Where did you get that from?