Dangerous Levels Of Pesticides Will Poison Thailand's Food Plan

webfact

ok without linking the post....quote you have a friend tests for this stuff.... assuming in thailand...why don't they publish the results ? or perhaps that is prohibited, I'm just glad that western countries have standards but I live here in LOS and public health is way down the priorities in this corrupt society, anything goes here as long as someone is making dosh but that's how it is

the problem is that many things are seen to be wrong here but there is no will by any government to change it which is why this country will remain in the 3rd world relying on "sex" and exploitation of women to ultimately fuel this corrupt debacle

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So all the certifications and the labellings are false if not unreliable! So i thought i had been eating organic veggies but they could be pesticide-laden stuff!! I already cut down on meat, fish, shrimps, seafood here as they are all sprayed with chemicals for preserving corpses! Gosh amazing thailand!

any advice on cleaning the veggie from pesticde will be appreciated.

soaking your veggies in a baking soda solution removes about 95% of the pesticides. I have friends here that work at a testing company, they test for this stuff, and they soak their lab equipment in a baking soda solution to prevent false readings. I buy more baking soda than anything else at the store because everything I eat doesn't come with a label other than produce from the royal projects.

Thanks for the tip. I'll wash the produce when my gf isn't around because she says that it's not a problem,

Hate to burst the bubble but it don't work that way, vegetables are different from lab glassware. In particular pesticides like methornyl are systematic rather than contact so the pesticides migrate and washing has limited effect.In fact if the residues are anywhere near as high as stated above, then even if the wash procedure was to be as effective as the research link I'm posting you would still be way above EU safety levels.

http://kasetsartjournal.ku.ac.th/kuj_files/2009/A0903191322516718.pdf

Edited by roamer
  • Like 1

Wow!!! 202 times the amount of chemicals allowed by European guidelines.

Maybe it's time again for our dear leader in Dubai to arrange a Cabinet member Thai "safe" food eating show?

So when we starting to glow and loosing hair, that´s when we know we had to much "veggies" ??? Scary.

Regular cancer check-ups for long timers in Thailand could be a wise investment.

Its a big problem that most expats wont care about and one locals can do nothing about.. We virtually never eat out and buy veg from a government endorsed chemical free shop..ow they may dpray but hopefully not as I often go to whete its grown to have a look.. It is a problem which will only get bigger..

Thai at Heart,

Oh they are using the stuff from abroad alright! I took many of the plantation owners to task and asked to see what they were using - I'm the uncle of the area because of being outspoken for the poor and downtrodden (via the missus). In Fang, about 10 yrs. ago, there was a very nice holistic monk who was murdered for opposing the big chem pushers. Rumors were that the hit men were paid by the chem reps. And "Rennet" was another nasty pesticide. DDT has been banned in almost every country in the world but Thailand has a weaker version of it - sorry, can't remember the name.

The domestic manufacturers have 85% market share. The products are minimum half the price of imported. If there are no limits and no testing what benefit would the farmer get for using them.

Now up north there are plantations exporting idemame beans to Japan and they are tested, orange plantations i know all about i used to work for one of the owners of one the biggest.

If it was for domestic consumption, i doubt they would waste one satang more than necessary for pesticide. For export, possibly.

TAH,

Tr

Tanathorn was (maybe still is) using Rennet (imported) for many years. And isn't it true that now, after getting the formulae from the big chem companies, that indeed, the Thai companies are locally producing the stuff?

Searching for Rennet yields me no google results other than for cheese production. What's the active ingredient?

ok without linking the post....quote you have a friend tests for this stuff.... assuming in thailand...why don't they publish the results ? or perhaps that is prohibited, I'm just glad that western countries have standards but I live here in LOS and public health is way down the priorities in this corrupt society, anything goes here as long as someone is making dosh but that's how it is

the problem is that many things are seen to be wrong here but there is no will by any government to change it which is why this country will remain in the 3rd world relying on "sex" and exploitation of women to ultimately fuel this corrupt debacle

Problem is that to change it will cost the poorest time and money. So, are the wealthier in Thailand willing to pay farmers a bit more so they can use better products, risk pest damage, go for quality over quantity.

All the testing in the would isn't going to change much in Thailand. You have to be willing to pay the farmer to change.

So all the certifications and the labellings are false if not unreliable! So i thought i had been eating organic veggies but they could be pesticide-laden stuff!! I already cut down on meat, fish, shrimps, seafood here as they are all sprayed with chemicals for preserving corpses! Gosh amazing thailand!

soaking your veggies in a baking soda solution removes about 95% of the pesticides. I have friends here that work at a testing company, they test for this stuff, and they soak their lab equipment in a baking soda solution to prevent false readings. I buy more baking soda than anything else at the store because everything I eat doesn't come with a label other than produce from the royal projects.

Thanks for the tip. I'll wash the produce when my gf isn't around because she says that it's not a problem,

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Wow!!! 202 times the amount of chemicals allowed by European guidelines.

Maybe it's time again for our dear leader in Dubai to arrange a Cabinet member Thai "safe" food eating show?

So when we starting to glow and loosing hair, that´s when we know we had to much "veggies" ??? Scary.

The "losing hair" thing has already started, wonder when the glowing kick in? sad.png

I can only suggest either u grow your own, soak the stuff in detergent water (special soap from most supermarkets) for a long time before using (but this only gets rid of the surface stuff), become a carnivore, or put up and shut up, as they say.clap2.gif

I can only suggest either u grow your own, soak the stuff in detergent water (special soap from most supermarkets) for a long time before using (but this only gets rid of the surface stuff), become a carnivore, or put up and shut up, as they say.clap2.gif

Problem is, a lot of these pesticides are systemic. All the washing in the world won't remove a systemic pesticide. That's why labels (western anyway) tell whether the particular chemical can be used on food crops, what kinds of crops it can be used on and, most importantly, the number of days that must pass between last application and harvest. The last one is to allow a systemic chemical to be metabolized out of the plant before harvest.

So happy washing and good luck!

I was shocked to see that Thailand had NO standards about pesticides. I know little is enforced, but hell, we don't even have a standard. That leaves the door not only wide open, but ripped right off its hinges.

• Like 1

the government should make farmers aware of what they are using on their crops.

the fertilizer and persticide companies used the same tactic in england about 20 years ago.

they approach the farmers and say u can increase your crop yield by let say 50% if u use this on your crops

in the first year they give a big discount on the price, the farmers are happy 50% more income.

in the second year they have to pay more, but farmers do not want to see a 50% drop in income

so the cycle has started.......

the government must set strict limits and educate the farmers!!!!!!

b4 the companies pollute this beautiful country

You are right.

But while more and more farmers in the West have university degrees, here you will hardly find a farmer with complete elementary school grade.

Chances just to get them grasp the idea of contamination, persistence, health risks are slim. To get them act accordingly even slimmer, mostly if they see the risks as affecting tiers.

I read a lot on the wonders of Baking Soda; from using it killing cockroaches to cleaning vegetables.

However, I am not familiar with the stuff. what is it called in Thai? where do you buy it? how does it look like?

unfortunately there's nothing you can do to remove the pesticides, heavy metals and other hazardous stuff embedded in between the molecules of a vegetable or an animal during its growth. baking soda, potassium permanganate and the like work on the outside only.

• Like 1

Did she really say "the world's kitchen" ? Does she intend Thailand to be the major source of ready meals? Because it's meals that are made in kitchens.

Maybe she means to say " a major exporter of agricultural products".

Which new, high-value farm produce does she have in mind? and to whom can it be sold. Where are the big markets within reasonable flying cost/distance?

Will China pay to import these crops ?

This is a laudable aim, but politically and economically difficult. (Probably beyond the wit and resolve of any of the current Thai politicians)

oh . . . and that's assuming the crop contamination aspect can be cleared up too.

You think you're doing the right thing, buying organic veggies, trying to be healthy because you KNOW all the other veggies are totally poisoned, then you find out the organic you are buying, at a higher price, very well may be poisoned as well.

The air, the food, the water... it's filthy and we all know it is not getting better in our lifetime. How is it Thailand is so behind the times when even it's poorer neighbors are leap years ahead of them in regards to this? I value my life and the older I get and my friends are fighting and dying of cancer, information like this makes me want to leave and never return. You can't put a price on your health. How can you plan on living long term in a country who knowingly mislabels the food and tricks you into thinking you're eating healthy?

This story really bummed me out. ermm.gif

• Like 1

You think you're doing the right thing, buying organic veggies, trying to be healthy because you KNOW all the other veggies are totally poisoned, then you find out the organic you are buying, at a higher price, very well may be poisoned as well.

The air, the food, the water... it's filthy and we all know it is not getting better in our lifetime. How is it Thailand is so behind the times when even it's poorer neighbors are leap years ahead of them in regards to this? I value my life and the older I get and my friends are fighting and dying of cancer, information like this makes me want to leave and never return. You can't put a price on your health. How can you plan on living long term in a country who knowingly mislabels the food and tricks you into thinking you're eating healthy?

then you find out the organic you are buying, at a higher price, very well may be poisoned as well.

do you think the products we buy in our home countries are very different? ermm.gif

Start the production process earlier, have your own garden without pesticides.

But tolerate snails, worms/butterflies and other hungry insects. You'll have new friends: beuatiful butterflies, birds, frogs, wizzards

A (Western) lady on the market:

Oh, a snail on this salad geez, geez.

The other lady:

I want this salad (is free of pesticides).

• Like 1

But tolerate snails, worms/butterflies and other hungry insects. You'll have new friends: beuatiful butterflies, birds, frogs, wizzards

That's really the only way here. And I continue to be amazed by all those butterflies.

Hate to burst the bubble but it don't work that way, vegetables are different from lab glassware. In particular pesticides like methornyl are systematic rather than contact so the pesticides migrate and washing has limited effect.In fact if the residues are anywhere near as high as stated above, then even if the wash procedure was to be as effective as the research link I'm posting you would still be way above EU safety levels.

http://kasetsartjour...91322516718.pdf

Thanks for the link roamer, it was very informative. Other than growing your own vegetables, there are no methods to rid the pesticides totally. If you are thinking reducing the level is better than nothing. It appears potassium permanganate (KMnO4) (ด่างทับทิม) is a much better method of reducing the pesticides than Baking Powder (NaHCO3) (ผงฟู).

According to the linked research, I would also rinse with water a few times after the potassium permanganate treatment and finish with an acetic acid wash.

I have not yet attempted this and I wonder what the vegetables would look like after these treatments, especially when potassium permanganate produces a red colour and is an extreme oxidant. Now my vegetable has a smaller amount of toxins and looks like red slime, Aroy! Does it have any nutrients now? What’s the point? sick.gifbah.gif

then you find out the organic you are buying, at a higher price, very well may be poisoned as well.

do you think the products we buy in our home countries are very different? ermm.gif

Yes, I do. While there is no shortage of very unhealthy items one can eat in their home countries, you can usually rest assured the safety labels are accurate and the veggies are not 200% over the recommended levels of pesticides.

I don't want to live in a nanny state. I don't care about the dangers of the road or risk of random violence in Pattaya or some other beach town, but I'd really like to be able to buy FOOD and know what I'm actually getting, especially when it comes to organic vegetables. When you start messing with my food, food I track down and pay more for because it is suppose to be healthier, you're crossing some lines.

• Like 1

The other lady:

wizzards in the vegetable garden are very positive! wink.png

The other lady:

wizzards in the vegetable garden are very positive! wink.png

Wizzard = one who takes a wizz to water the garden

• Like 1

What worries and pisses me off is the insidiousness of the whole business. For example, I don't know how to find out who the importers of these chemicals are, who their connections are in the government etc. And even if it was found that it is a huge plot, to line the pockets of a few...they are never ever named in the media..they have complete protection.

In 2009 the then govt. ( Democrats I think) moved certain natural pesticides such as chili and tumeric onto the hazardous category because the chemical companies were complaining of losing money...see here ... http://www.naturalnews.com/026013_companies_chemical_turmeric.html

This is scary, meanwhile only last week an academic from Udon Thani petitioned one of the courts to review it's decision to license previously banned pesticides and herbicides... 23 of them in fact..They over ruled him saying there was no scientific evidence that the previously banned substances were dangerous. <deleted> !!!

• Like 1

The other lady:

The French guy:

<deleted> are all these leaves doing in my food. sad.png

The escargot is undercooked bah.gif

What worries and pisses me off is the insidiousness of the whole business. For example, I don't know how to find out who the importers of these chemicals are, who their connections are in the government etc. And even if it was found that it is a huge plot, to line the pockets of a few...they are never ever named in the media..they have complete protection.

In 2009 the then govt. ( Democrats I think) moved certain natural pesticides such as chili and tumeric onto the hazardous category because the chemical companies were complaining of losing money...see here ... http://www.naturalne...l_turmeric.html

This is scary, meanwhile only last week an academic from Udon Thani petitioned one of the courts to review it's decision to license previously banned pesticides and herbicides... 23 of them in fact..They over ruled him saying there was no scientific evidence that the previously banned substances were dangerous. <deleted> !!!

That is incredibly frighting. Though, it's probably one of those silly things that is never enforced like most other things they do.

thank u all for the tip about soaking in baking soda for 30 mins!

what would happen if i did that to my thai girlfriend ?

oooopsss.......

sorry dallling..........

I remember when I was a child having a bath in baking soda...it's quite refreshing, like bathing in a softdrink. I forgot about it until you just reminded me.

OH! I have not done any research if it was healthy or not! blink.png

Edited by Synastry