Thailand Makes Plans For Formula One Race

webfact

Thailand makes plans for Formula One race

By: Quentin Spurring

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is the latest nation to make a pitch for a Formula One Grand Prix. The government there has confirmed it is aiming to stage a street race under lights in the capital as early as 2014. However, public officials indicated that ministers had not yet agreed to pay the fees that have been proposed by Formula One, and also that the government might need a majority of the citizens of Bangkok to vote in favor in a public referendum.

Kanokphand Chulakasem, the governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT), told the Bangkok Post that he had reached an agreement in principle with Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of the Formula One group, during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend. “It will be a city race like those in Singapore and Monaco,” Kanokphand told the newspaper. “And I can tell you that it will be a night race, like the Singapore Grand Prix.” He added that further negotiations were needed over Formula One’s proposed fees.

Under the terms of a five-year contract extension that was finalized last week, the city-state of Singapore will pay Formula One an annual fee for its race of 1.25 billion baht ($40.4 million), according to local media. Kanokphand said that Thailand might have to pay a similar sum. Chumpol Silpa-archa, Thailand’s tourism and sports minister, said that the government would cover 60 percent of the total cost, and that the rest would come from commercial deals with sponsors such as the Red Bull energy drink and Singha beer brands.

Full story: http://www.autoweek....28/F1/120929800

-- AUTOWEEK 2012-09-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanokphand Chulakasem, the governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT), told the Bangkok Post that he had reached an agreement in principle with Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of the Formula One group, during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend.

This also explains the information from another thread , why the man from afar also was present at the F1 Singapore.

• Like 1

Kanokphand Chulakasem, the governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT), told the Bangkok Post that he had reached an agreement in principle with Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of the Formula One group, during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend.

This also explains the information from another thread , why the man from afar also was present at the F1 Singapore.

Yes, and a large sum of the income from the race will probably end up in a Dubai bank account.

• Like 1

Thailand’s tourism and sports minister, said that the government would cover 60 percent of the total cost, and that the rest would come from commercial deals with sponsors such as the Red Bull energy drink and Singha beer brands.

To which the Red bull family have said, sure"I will consider that, but if you jail my son you can take a hike'. I guess the young man won't be going to jail then!

Red Bull!? Sponsor? Not such a good idea as a sponsor for driving fast on the streets of Bangkok... (too soon?)

• Like 2

First, they need to do a study to see if they can find enough pavement suitable for F1 cars.

Is there one major road at ground level in bangkok flat enough ir without a 90 degree turn at the end to achieve anything raceable? Or a set of pillars, a central reservation or a storm drain? Maybe they will use the expressway. Should be outstanding for spectators.

Logistics would suggest running it either immediately before or after Singapore. Two words. Rainy season.

Can't even begin to imagine the chaos caused by shutting down central BKK for a week.

I for one would love to see F1 in Thailand but on a dedicated track would seem to make much more sense to me.

• Like 2

Logistics would suggest running it either immediately before or after Singapore. Two words. Rainy season.

Can't even begin to imagine the chaos caused by shutting down central BKK for a week.

I for one would love to see F1 in Thailand but on a dedicated track would seem to make much more sense to me.

Just surfacing the road will take months. Then where to find somewhere that won't flood after a good shower will be a miracle. Where to run a race like this? In bangkok? overtaking maneuvers down sois?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Another futile campaign without thought and planning and ignorance of the consequences of Natural disaster in low quality infrastructure.

And a lack of quality and any failure of infrastructure in Thailand backed up by corruption, as you all know means instant death for the driver…

Edited by MaxLee

Just surfacing the road will take months. Then where to find somewhere that won't flood after a good shower will be a miracle. Where to run a race like this? In bangkok? overtaking maneuvers down sois?

This is the plan for Bangkok F1 race, they can run it in Siam Paragon so all the Hi-So's can be comfortable:

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Another futile campaign without thought and planning and ignorance of the consequences of Natural disaster in low quality infrastructure.

And a lack of quality and any failure of infrastructure in Thailand backed up by corruption, as you all know means instant death for the driver…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHFCrMUT8Qs

• Like 2

Well, i think that they should start off carefully, say with Tuk Tuk races and then if that's ok, work up to fully blown F1. maybe using only taxi drivers for the first couple of years. Even letting the various cab companies have teams compete against each other as they now do.

• Like 1

It just won't happen, for several reasons, for example:

1. Thailand doesn't have the expertise in this sport;

2. No-one is able to deal with the nuances of how the roads can be made available without bringing the capital to a standstill;

3. The fact that a fee has to be paid to stage the event will stick in the craw of most ministers; they would actually be looking to make money out of it themselves, rather than paying for the privilege!

4. The road conditions are simply not good enough!

Sorry for being such a pessimist, but mark my words, this will fall flat!

• Like 2

What a preposterous laugher this is. Bernie Ecclestone must have been really sauced up to agree to Bangkok as a venue.

An F1 in Bangkok on the back of the heir of Red Bull running over a cop and hit and run with his Ferrari and dragging his body through the planned F1 streets. Preposterous idea at anytime for an F1 in Bangkok, let alone within a month of this horrific negligent homicide and wrongful death, corruption, and bribery it is obscene to even think of Red Bull participating in anything except law and order. What could possibly be in the minister's mind to propose this ludicrous scheme?

Can you see it now? The Red Bull Ferrari coming around the final turn of the F1 at Sukhumvit Soi 47 with 2-3 bodies being dragged along thumping against the BTS pillars on Sukhumvit, brains splattered all over Sukhumvit . Fitting that 60% of the cost would be taxpayer funded and Red Bull and Singha beer would sponsor the rest. Red Bull and Singha are joint owners of Cavallino Motors, the sole distributor of Ferrari in Thailand. http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx

Has anyone heard any new news about the indictments in this Ferrari hit and run and cop killing case? It was supposed to be rapped up by the end of this week.

• Like 1

A street car race in Thailand for F1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I doubt if any F1 cars would get round more than lap before they were perched on top hastily repaired pot holes.

Compulsory stops as 7-11 too perhaps? The start should be interesting with all the motor cycles at the front, all starting before the lights go out, should be a hoot!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by exeter