Farang Food Vs. Thai Food

grumpyoldman

Western breakfast.

Lunch 50/50. Maybe sandwich, hamburger, pie or just as likely Thai stir fry, noodles, rice dish, etc.

Dinner again a mixture, maybe Aussie steak or lamb from Makro or villa with steamed western vegies or salad. Sometimes Thai curries, or pork or chicken dishes.

Don't go to restaurants that often, but always eat Thai. Tried a steak at a place in Rawai once, would have been better off eating my thong!

Could not have been to bad mate if its the steak i think you are talking about

The meal for 4 people including beers and we had a few came to about 1200 baht

You gave a 500 baht tip which i thought was over the top

If you tip that much for a bad steak what would you tip for a good one

Tried a steak at a place in Rawai once, would have been better off eating my thong!

I do hope you mean this post-123755-0-25040600-1348914311_thumb. and not this post-123755-0-32512500-1348914331_thumb. smile.png

ah yes, my male modelling days, it was just a normal thong, but a bit on the big size, so i raised the side straps over my shoulders, wal-laaaaa, the mankini was born, i'm toying with the idea of a jockstrap, hands free beer can holder, worn outside the pants/ shorts. or contact lenses set in "wait for it" frames, i've looked at these tablet phones, iphones etc, quite big and bulky, what about "wait for it" a phone that fits in your pocket, they started to develop them oh a few year ago, i think they were called a mobile phone, if any ones interested i've got 20,000 donkey slippers available, thats not slippers designed in the style of a donkey, but slippers for donkeys, never really took off, the recession and all that. as for food, anything that cast a shadow, not for me

maybe he's on about this thong, sorry the wife was having a bad hair and tash day, told her to immac, will she listen, no way, can you believe it 42 next week, thats double G after the op, no shadow there, ban-ap-ba- teet

Have to admit lately been noshing down on 100% thai, as for the food 50/50 1zgarz5.gif , i'll take a cold shower sorry.gif

first year about 90% was thai food because it was new, exciting and delicious, second year the amount of thai food dropped to somewhere around 50%.

third year i ate very little, maybe 20% thai food because i was so fed up with all the fried rice stuff and coconut milk and tom yum kung. then it stabilized to about 40/60 thai and foreign.

If you're referring to a steak restaurant in Rawai with five letters in the name, the first letter is M, then, I agree with Croc.

No its a little Thai restaurant on the way to Nai Harn, Thai run and owned just before the new tesco Lotus on the left hand side after where Dons used to be, open air with fans

What do ypu expect for under 200 baht

Edited by petercallen

No its a little Thai restaurant on the way to Nai Harn, Thai run and owned just before the new tesco Lotus on the left hand side after where Dons used to be, open air with fans

I would never order a steak if it was that price.

If you're referring to a steak restaurant in Rawai with five letters in the name, the first letter is M, then, I agree with Croc.

And last one O?

Haven't eaten there for a long time, it used to be the best steacks in Rawai! sad.png

Is there a place called Magoo? Where is said steak place M...O?

I would never order a steak if it was that price.

I do not eat from roadside stalls or motorbikes but some people do

To each there own

To each there own

I see. You're not willing to eat cheap food from a roadside stall, but, you're willing to eat cheap food from a place where you can't see the food first, nor how it is prepared?

Weird.

To each there own

I see. You're not willing to eat cheap food from a roadside stall, but, you're willing to eat cheap food from a place where you can't see the food first, nor how it is prepared?

Weird.

When I used to travel around Egypt and Jordan I was told.

"Only eat at places where they cook the food in front of you, avoid hotel restaurants, avoid salads, never order soup".

I followed that rule and never had any dodgy tummy problems.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

To each there own

Weird.

Wrong, you can see how the foods stored and cooked its a well run restaurant

Unlike a roadside stall no refridgeration and flies and a bowl of prawns and noodles costs 65 baht as you know

To each there own

Weird.

Unlike a roadside stall no refridgeration and flies and a bowl of prawns and noodles costs 65 baht as you know

So you inspect the kitchen first, do you? Good move.

In my hippy back-packer days, I only ate in crowded restaurants and never bought prepared fruit.

Never got sick in a year of rough traveling through Africa and Asia.

To each there own

Weird.

So you inspect the kitchen first, do you? Good move.

In my hippy back-packer days, I only ate in crowded restaurants and never bought prepared fruit.

Wrong again its a open kitchen which you can see into from the restaurant, its quite popular with the local expats

80% Thai food nit noi pet

But sometimes we go dinner for a big pork shop or steak etc

I can't eat rice every day/time,

but "Chacarero" steak in a real bread sandwish niam niam tongue.png

chacarero.jpg

I miss so much the "Marraqueta" but looks like only exist in my country, cheap and tasty bread, we eat this bread in the same proportion as Thai eat rice.

these sandwish 1000% better than mac donal, burger king, subway etc

"Lomito"

lomito-italiano.jpg

and the "Completo"

chilean-hotdog-completo-italiano-4b.jpg?w=500&h=347

Many others there tongue.png

I miss so much the "Marraqueta" but looks like only exist in my country, cheap and tasty bread, we eat this bread in the same proportion as Thai eat rice.

"Lomito"

and the "Completo"

Yes, they look delicious.

chacarero.jpg

"Lomito"

lomito-italiano.jpg

and the "Completo"

chilean-hotdog-completo-italiano-4b.jpg?w=500&h=347

The top one, looks a bit like a Mexican Tortalicklips.gif

While traveling I have almost always eaten street food. I got some sort of food poisoning in average twice a year. That's the payment for being able try all kind of delicious foods. I actually got my last food poisoning last Saturday while 'traveling' to Chalong/Rawai..

God people!! Lived here over 3 years and eaten at road side eateries and never one problem, some people need to complain!!

Complainers get a grip!!

If you like people using food that is not refrigerated and sometimes covered in flies good on you

Lots of locals do it and do not get food poisoning

• Like 1

God people!! Lived here over 3 years and eaten at road side eateries and never one problem, some people need to complain!!

Complainers get a grip!!

If you like people using food that is not refrigerated and sometimes covered in flies good on you

Lots of locals do it and do not get food poisoning

Its what we're used to. I suspect (but don't know) that Thais visiting the West will also come down with tummy bugs.

Personally, I can only remember one, single time I went on holiday and didn't come down with a tummy bug!

But anyway, it appears that a large percentage of us eat at least 50% Western food, whilst the majority (?) of those who have lived here for 20 years or so, eat mainly Thai food?

For those who've never been, the Vegetarian Festival which starts later this month will have some delicious vegetarian dishes in many specially erected stalls throughout Phuket Town. The Festival isn't only about the famous and weird piercings, but the food also.

Some photos of the festival that I took a couple of years ago, unfortunately I can't find any of the food stalls (click to enlarge):

post-62520-0-70295700-1349261549_thumb.j

post-62520-0-18018200-1349261575_thumb.j

post-62520-0-53322900-1349261592_thumb.j

post-62520-0-93962800-1349261608_thumb.j

post-62520-0-09907600-1349261633_thumb.j

post-62520-0-77730500-1349261647_thumb.j

post-62520-0-14579400-1349261664_thumb.j

post-62520-0-20619200-1349261683_thumb.j

post-62520-0-98418100-1349261702_thumb.j

• 8 months later...

75% thai

15%% chinese

5% korean

5% western

Looking for japanese restaurants for some authentic japanese food.

Anyone care to share?wai2.gif

Oishi in index is pretty good for an all you can eat buffet, I think it might be out of your price range at 600thb/head