This Device Can Perform Faster If You Connect To A Usb 2.0 Port...

CrankyCarrot

...is the message I keep getting whenever I plug in my iPhone. I know it can perform faster. It has performed faster in the past, while plugged into the same USB port.

I'm trying to figure out why the same USB ports I've used in conjunction with this iPhone in the past no longer work at high speed. I'm running windows 7 on my laptop and have an iPhone 3gs hooked up with a knockoff iPhone USB cable (which has worked fine for over a year.)

I just tried plugging a USB flash drive into the same port and it works at the correct, faster speed. Same with my external HDD, so the issue seems to lie with the phone or the cable.

Any ideas?

Haven't updated the iOs or iTunes in years since I don't want to mess up the JB status of the phone. I tried cleaning out the socket a little and it seems to be working again in one of the USB slots.

Sh%#, so no new bug in the new iOS. But i think, the map bug is funny enough!

Good luck with your USB2. Ever tried a USB3 slot (on a different machine, of course?)

It sounds like Winders is having a driver issue with your USB Conrollers. Check Device Manager for the drivers for that motherboard. Might have been an issue after a Windows update. Check the motherboard manufacturer's website for updated drivers for your motherboard.

The same problem occurs when the iPhone is plugged into my netbook, so it's probably an issue with the phone or the cable.

Yea. Of course, before you monkey around with Windows, try the simplest thing first. Go get a real cable from Apple. They're not expensive and last long.

Might be a Win update causing the strife.

Checked Device Manager and there aren't any little yellow triangles with exclamation points indicating issues. The same USB port seems to randomly either work at full speed or not, depending on its whim. Just have to plug and unplug a couple of times.

Will just keep doing that and hope the prob goes away by itself.

No, I've tried all the USB ports on the laptop. There's one I'm using now which works at full speed about every 3 or 4 times you plug into it. It seems to work properly if I plug it in firmly to the iPhone and hold it a certain way.

Hold it a certain way? The USB side, right?

Squeeze the USB Plug a bit, so it fits tighter. Maybe it helps!

Whenever you plug something into a Windows computer that has any storage capacity on it like a phone or memory card you will get the same message. It simply refers to the option of using this device as a Ready Boost to speed up your device IE computer by using the memory space in the plugged in device to add to the installed RAM memory.

No fault and no problem simply close and ignore or use as Ready Boost

I just bought a replacement USB to iPhone cable (pre-iPhone 5 models) and everything seems to be working correctly now.

I think it was the non-USB end of the cable that was the problem.

The official Apple USB cable was 1090 Baht at Banana IT. The generic version I purchased was 79 Baht.