Foreigner Shot Dead In Saraburi

coma

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or are stories of this nature getting more frequent.

Thai Society seems to be descending onto a slippery slope with the Rule of Law openly ignored by the rich and influential with them not even bothering any more to try to conceal it. It is almost reverse anarchy where those in power run amok. With role models such as those running the country, the military, the police and just about every other service or agency run by the local or national government, what hope is there that the general low level population will give a dam_n about the law either.

Thais accept so many things in their society now, two faced attitudes, corruption rampant with some reports of 60% of government funded schemes going into the pockets of the politicians and government officials, lousy education and a million other things. Murder should not be added to the list of things a blind eye is turned to. I hope this case is investigated with vigour and vigilance and not just left in a file to gather dust because it earns the police no money.

I hope the family of this man finds closure and him peace. There but for the grace of God go I - I wonder how long His grace will last sometimes.

I've been thinking the same for some time. Lots of tourists in the States, but I don't see this many murders of foreign tourists. Add to those the number of "odd" deaths of farangs falling off hotel balconies.

this is Thailand , Chances of finding the killer -1%

I hate it when people say this is thailand blah blah blah....shows so much arrogance and stupidity.

And yet in your previous post you say "Saraburi is on my list of towns not to visit, full of Nak Laeng, one visit to tthe towns biggest club AJAX was enought to turn me around.". Way to go, hypocrite! Nothing like tarring the whole of the population of Saraburi with the same [nak laehng] brush.

Hey, all the prevoius comments, take it easy. The person may have been involved in some unpleasent dealings, or maybe stuck his middle finger up at someone. The body being found where it was, and the description being; 'Foreigner', and not farang could be a clue. Lets wait for more news.

I think you need to calm down a little and re-read all that I have written. I fear that in your heightened state, you may have confused what I have posted and what I have quoted.

A little more attention before you attack me would be welcomed. Just imagine we are in the pub having a pint not on an anonymous forum where being so impersonal is ok.

I'm calm enough. And think I've been clear enough. You have posted opinion. Nothing more. No references. Just your thoughts. Perhaps you should calm down.

Too often, ThaiVisa.com is as you say - like a pub. People come and slander races, countries, women, whatever. They offer nothing to back up their words. Just their opinion. It is that about which I complain. Not you. Can we do no better than this? So often, it seems not.

Do you accept that the level at which a report is categorised for official purpose, for example suicide,accidental death, murder, carries the opportunity to distort 'statistics' intentionally or not?

I think DonW makes a valid point

Edited by 473geo

I think you need to calm down a little and re-read all that I have written. I fear that in your heightened state, you may have confused what I have posted and what I have quoted.

A little more attention before you attack me would be welcomed. Just imagine we are in the pub having a pint not on an anonymous forum where being so impersonal is ok.

I'm calm enough. And think I've been clear enough. You have posted opinion. Nothing more. No references. Just your thoughts. Perhaps you should calm down.

Too often, ThaiVisa.com is as you say - like a pub. People come and slander races, countries, women, whatever. They offer nothing to back up their words. Just their opinion. It is that about which I complain. Not you. Can we do no better than this? So often, it seems not.

Do you accept that the level at which a report is categorised for official purpose, for example suicide,accidental death, murder, carries the opportunity to distort 'statistics' intentionally or not?

I think DonW makes a valid point

I accept (again) that nothing better than opinion is being offered. One's =opinion= may be that there is no god. That there is a god. That the earth is flat. That all women are bad. That Thai people are bad. That Muslims are awful. That Thailand is more dangerous than any other country in the world. That the air we breathe is made of soap bubbles.

I also accept that reports can carry the opportunity to distort "statistics." And that so far, no one has offered squat that's better.

Crime Statistics > Gun violence > Homicides > % homicides with firearms (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Definition Source printable.gifPrintable version Bar Graph Map

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif

# 1 th.gifThailand: 79.5805

Crime in Thailand

# 2 sf.gifSouth Africa: 59.2028

Crime in South Africa

# 3 co.gifColombia: 45.2092

Crime in Colombia

# 4 lo.gifSlovakia: 45

Crime in Slovakia

# 5 gt.gifGuatemala: 42.0706

Crime in Guatemala

# 6 zi.gifZimbabwe: 39.6026

Edited by 473geo

I don't understand why people do this, what makes them so blind that they cannot see the pain and suffering they are causing someone....

R.I.P to the victim, i hope god helps the victims family to succumb to the despair of such a great loss.sad.png

Work all your life and end up shoved into a nursing home playing dominoes with senile folk staring out the rain splattered window with mind numbing repeats of come dancing on in the background wondering what your life was really all about.

Alternatively retire here and live life on the edge fully aware that one wrong move, one wrong word, one wrong businesses deal you could end up like this poor bloke shot and dumped on the side of the road like a worthless animal.

rip

Or live somewhere else where you can still have a good time and not have to worry about walking egg shells 24/7.

Crime Statistics > Gun violence > Homicides > % homicides with firearms (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Definition Source printable.gifPrintable version Bar Graph Map

Crime in Thailand

Crime in South Africa

Crime in Colombia

Crime in Slovakia

Crime in Guatemala

#1 in the world for firearm homicides, and people think I'm crazy for wanting to keep a shotgun inside my home for that freak chance one of these clowns is going to come through the roof at 3am.

• Like 1

An Army guy wanted to kill me a few years ago, he said I scared him. Didn't even look at him, my good luck was that I was there with my Thai friend who was also a soldier.

Without him would have been a different story. Would any of the Karaoke girls have seen the guy who shot me dead? I doubt it.

Those types of places are really best avoided, where Thai drinking males hang at night. Too easy for them to misinterpret something you said--even looking them in the eye is best avoided--and if they already have farang issues...

• Like 1

RIP to the victim.

Everytime a foreigner is murdered here we have a whole brigade of posters that winching about how dangerous it is here and in this case all kinds of theories of why ( the wife did it - somebody didn't like a farang and bla-bla). You guys are pathetic, can't you wait until we have solid news??

I work a lot with South Africans (whites) and then you can talk about taking your precautions and having armed guard response for your home and so on, Thailand looks like a rose garden compared to S.A.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Farang who got in the way of a Thai.

When did foreigner mean "falang"

In Thailand, most times, farang is interpreted as, white caucasian. Not always, but most of the time. Sometimes it is interpreted as foreigner, usually a white foreigner.

Can't agree. If you are not Thai you are considered a farang/falang or any pronunciation of the word that sounds similar. Having white, red, brown or any other color skin has nothing to do with it, from my experience.

In Thailand, most times, farang is interpreted as, white caucasian. Not always, but most of the time. Sometimes it is interpreted as foreigner, usually a white foreigner.

Can't agree. If you are not Thai you are considered a farang/falang or any pronunciation of the word that sounds similar. Having white, red, brown or any other color skin has nothing to do with it, from my experience.

your experience is mistaken. For example Cambodians or Burmese would not be considered farangs. As I understand it farang means westerner and white.

• Like 1

It seems to be every other day these news. A foreigner murdered by a local(which in this case it is not proven, but if it is 'the usual business' , I assume it is the case.)

Very sad the way thailand is going down the drains,also because they rely so much on tourists and foreigners economically.

I once wished to go to thailand to live, but after reading this forum, I would never do it. In fact , I would not even go there on holiday, I think.

It seems like a society gone mentally ill.

On one hand they do anything to appear white, on the other hand there is a real hatred for foreigners.

Now, if i was male, I would NEVER marry a thai, because how can you be really sure?

Don't know what the attitudes towards white females are, but there sure are a lot of attacks on those, too.

Luckily, Asia is large and there are plenty other countries to choose from. As it is now, Thailand would be at the very bottom of my list. Such a beautiful country, but such ugly mentality. Really sad.

Once again, after seeing a headline, I've made the mistake of intending to read only the main story on thaivisa, and then gone ahead to read comments. This particular comment (and many others, as per usual) offers only opinion, with nothing to back it up. "Thailand is going down the drain?" "A real hatred for foreigners?" "Such an ugly mentality?" And comments from someone who doesn't live here in Thailand. Is apparently afraid to live here in Thailand.

There is a website - www.nationmaster.com - that addresses all of these details. Have a look at the page at http://www.nationmas...me-total-crimes. Number one for total crimes? The USA by a landslide (I'd love to see it broken down by state, but no...). Number 2: the UK. Number 3: Germany. Number 4: France. Look at how far down the list Thailand is: Number 20.

Click on any of the links for more stats on the country in question. The United States, for example. Where we find that the USA is number 1 for murders commited by firearms, number 1 for auto thefts, number 3 for murders committed by youth. Number 13 for rape.

Click on the UK. Number 2 for assault. Number 2 for auto theft. Number 6 for rape. Number 29 for murders committed by youth, and number 29 for murders committed with firearms.

Click on Thailand. Number 35 in auto theft. Murders committed by youth? Number 8. Murders committed with firearms? Number 3. Still two points below the USA. For whatever reason, "rape" is not included on the Thailand summary page. But you can find it here: http://www.nationmas...rap-crime-rapes. Thailand is number 78. That's quite, quite far behind the USA, the UK, Germany, Russia, Sweden, The Philippines, and on and on and on.

Murders per 100,000 people? http://www.nationmas...-100-000-people. The Philippines is number 21. Cambodia, number 27. Mexico is number 43. Thailand number 48. The USA is number 63.

"Governmental violence" (executions)? http://www.nationmas...rime-executions. Number 1: China. Number 7: the USA. Thailand is tied with six other countries for number 31.

Whether I get whacked tomorrow or not (same thing could happen elsewhere) - I'm happy here, and will continue to "take my chances."

As for Vesiva, hey - you should "NEVER marry a thai, because how can you be really sure?" (My Thai wife is one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. I'm quite, quite sure.)

And/or, maybe you should live in China. Or The Philippines. Or Cambodia. Or the USA. Or the UK. As can be seen at www.nationmaster.com, things are just Oh So Much Better in such places...

I'll second that! My thai wife is an amazing woman. I am quite sure the love is real. A man knows, believe me.

My thai lady is also a great woman of 10 years and i'm as happy as could be. However i'm not certain the " farang " concept of love is the same as a Thai womans concept. IMO their idea of love and romance is nothing at all like the average farangs idea. Romantic Thai lady .. lol.

It seems to be every other day these news. A foreigner murdered by a local(which in this case it is not proven, but if it is 'the usual business' , I assume it is the case.)

Very sad the way thailand is going down the drains,also because they rely so much on tourists and foreigners economically.

I once wished to go to thailand to live, but after reading this forum, I would never do it. In fact , I would not even go there on holiday, I think.

On one hand they do anything to appear white, on the other hand there is a real hatred for foreigners.

Now, if i was male, I would NEVER marry a thai, because how can you be really sure?

Don't know what the attitudes towards white females are, but there sure are a lot of attacks on those, too.

Luckily, Asia is large and there are plenty other countries to choose from. As it is now, Thailand would be at the very bottom of my list. Such a beautiful country, but such ugly mentality. Really sad.

I've never had problems here. But then again I try to stay away from the bars(never met my wife there). But even doing that you can't stop everything. It's just generally more dangerous here than back home.

You don't need to meet your wife in a Bar to get in trouble with a Thai woman, bad women can be anywhere in this country, even in middle class or Hiso.

Behind the famous THai smile, Thailand is the land of hypocrisy, falseness and greediness. Beware, It is more dangerous here because you feel confortable, safe and dream everyone is kind but it is not the paradise... Wake up, dream is over !

Thanks for that cosmont, I'll try to remember your advice..................coffee1.gif

We they have Thai words/names for Chinese (jeen), Japanese (yepoon), Korean (gowlee), plus other asians countries and they use Khun XXXX for these asian groups.

I guess it's similar who some white people call all asians, Chinese or in Australia how we call pretty much everyone from for the Indian subcontinent an India, even thou they could be from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan or Sri Lanka.

An Army guy wanted to kill me a few years ago, he said I scared him. Didn't even look at him, my good luck was that I was there with my Thai friend who was also a soldier.

Without him would have been a different story. Would any of the Karaoke girls have seen the guy who shot me dead? I doubt it.

Those types of places are really best avoided, where Thai drinking males hang at night. Too easy for them to misinterpret something you said--even looking them in the eye is best avoided--and if they already have farang issues...

But that's unlikely to be the cause of thus guys death I imagine - well I would hope so anyway.

I'm not an expert in Thai male drinking habits, but from my limited experience I believe you're correct on your general point. This doesn't chime with my experiences in other countries in Asia / SE Asia such as India, Indonesia, China, Malaysia etc where the locals are very friendly, wherever a visitor chooses to have a few beers.

Crime in Thailand

Crime in South Africa

Crime in Colombia

Crime in Slovakia

Crime in Guatemala

#1 in the world for firearm homicides, and people think I'm crazy for wanting to keep a shotgun inside my home for that freak chance one of these clowns is going to come through the roof at 3am.

This site has been shown many times on Thai Visa to be unreliable with regards to statistics as a lot of the stats didn't add up. For instance they'd show Thailand nearly at the top for gun homicides and then the total number of homicides on another list would be less than the number of gun homicides. Hardly makes sense.

I would more trust the United Nations stats, which you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

If you look at the table "by country" it shows Thailand

I think any stats will not be fully accurate as some countries keep far more accurate stats than others, for instance the U.S. keeps copious amounts of stats even on the smallest of crimes. But I think this will give some idea. Also I don't know if the UN works to compile their own stats to try and make them as accurate as possible.

The really dangerous places on Earth according to these stats are the countries in South and Central America, the Caribbean, and Africa. For Asian countries, Thailand is listed as one of the more dangerous ones, however, with 4.8 murders per 100,000 inhabitants. USA is at 4.2, so quite similar.

For Thailand's population, that would be over 3000 murders in the most recent year. Hardly the 20K by firearm the nation master stats would have us believe.

As for those who believe Thailand is in some sort of slippery slope into some sort of murderous dystopia, I think it's just and impression based on many factors. One, when people first come to Thailand they think of it as some sort of peaceful paradise where the people are calm buddhists and it's safe to walk around at night. Once you get out of the tourist stage and start seeing the actual violence that does go on all too frequently you notice it more and more and start thinking everything's going to hell, here.

I've talked to people in my country who told me they lived in Thailand 20-30 years ago after I told them I had lived in Thailand. They were telling me how dangerous it was back then and how at least in the region they lived in nobody felt safe and how they were told they should keep guns at their house for protection. They had just arrived in the country and were supposed to run some facility and after receiving several threats on their lives from the Thais who thought they should have been the ones promoted from within to run it this family decided it wasn't worth it and left!

So I don't think it's some sort of new phenomenon, slippery slope going on. By the way, the "slippery slope" is called a logical fallacy for a reason.

Yes, Thailand is a dangerous place. I've been seeing these stories ever since I came here 9 years ago (not long compared to some I know). Well I shouldn't say "here" as I"m not currently in Thailand, ha ha. But anyway, don't panic and and run riot with paranoia. Realize Thailand is one of the more dangerous countries in Asia for murder rates and likely other safety issues like car accidents, etc. but it's not descending into some hellish cesspool. It's especially dangerous for tourists who let their guard down on vacation.

But as for most places, it's unlikely you are going to be murdered or even assaulted by a random person or even some person you piss off. Ya, it happens, but it's pretty unlikely. But if you want to live your lives in fear and paranoia with a "sky is falling" alarmist attitude, then so be it. (this is addressed to everyone, not the person whose post I quoted)

Is it me or are stories of this nature getting more frequent.

It is almost reverse anarchy where those in power run amok.

You seem to have a distorted idea of what "anarchy" means. Please don't perpetuate the misconception that anarchy = chaos. It simply means a society without political rulers, which is very different from "running amok". wai.gif

what a complete and utter crock of <deleted>. If you have an anti thai-axe to grind why not do it somewhere suitable.

please spare us your insight in future.

• Like 1

If anyone knows this guy, than it is your duty to report to the police, even anonymously.

A truly terrible state of affairs.

And become a suspect so can shift blame from Thai to farang.

Go into an Internet cafe.

Send the message to the police or to the newspaper that has published the story.

Sign out of Hotmail, walk out of Internet cafe and never use that Hotmail address again.

OR

Print out a letter, post from a post box to the police or to the newspaper that has published the story.

Only need to give the man`s name, nationality and address if known.

There are ways and means.

This guy probably has family somewhere, perhaps children, and if anyone knows this man please don`t make the family suffer, plus the police have limited resources, help them, please and bring the murderers to book.

To send an email in not a good solution if you are thinking to keep your status anonymous. It can easily trace through cafe's log book, IP address, CCTV cam in the cafe etc. Sending printed hard-copy is always better, but remember, not of laser printer, as it also print several printer related codes in micro text format. And thus, it also can trace back. Inkjet or Bubble-jet or DOT Matrix is a better option.

I am sorry to hear about the death, may his soul rest in peace.

It's a great idea to send an email. Forget their "log book" and IP address. They will only know from where the mail was sent. wai.gif

Look for a "brother" driving a redplated pickup-truck !

I am just trying to figure out what your post is saying. So my question is do you have information on this murder?

"brother" what does that mean? Are is this just another troll post?

I think he means "Beware of the "PeaChai' of a girlfriend or wife of the victem (if even that exists) gorls often deceive Farangs with the thai boyfriend or husband as my "PeaChai" can go on for years.........so the gals Peachai may be driving a new pickup truck or car now.

Khun XXXX for these asian groups.

Actually, it's "khon XXXX", ( - person) not "khun" and it is usually used in the case where the nationality of the person is known (and considered an important enough detail), so if a "farang" is German, you would say , although for simplicity, farangs are often lumped into the single category .

More often, a nationality is preceded by the word 'chao' (person), as in this case, where the victim is described (in the Thai newspaper Daily News) as:

'farang chao dtang chaat' - 'farang person [from] other country', a somewhat redundant description, perhaps.

In the past, shooting someone point blank in the mouth was intended to send a message: Big mouth, talk too much, might have threatened someone, i.e. mouthed off to the wrong person, or may have said he would take the matter to the authorities.

Shooting someone in the mouth is a very personal act and requires effort. It is much easier to shoot someone in the back or the head and to be done with it. There is a message here and I anticipate that as the case develops we will see this demonstrated.

you are right Geriatrick, there are not many reasons for shooting somebody directly in the mouth... Btw... many suicide shooters do it this way...as far as I know atm its not PROOFED yet he was murdered... May be the people trying to hide him was just family found him and dont want to get involved or asked to many questions.... we will hopefully find out sooner or later...or never?