Foreigner Shot Dead In Saraburi

coma

I generally don't bother to follow the news too much, but off the top of my head, the girl ramming the mini van and the guy in the merc ramming the bus shelter.

What about the four BIB that got the death penalty for murder then were released on bail pending an appeal. Hahaha. Classic !

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai press noted that the victim was wearing a pair of Woolworths brand underpants made in South Africa.

I haven't read all the previous posts so I don't know if the man's nationality has already been established.

I'm not saying that just because he was wearing South African underwear that the guy was a South African......but I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the case.

They noted the underwear were made in South Africa before they made the I.D.

Just reading about the last case who wife killed off her husband ... she was let out four days ago on bail for 200,000THB .. J ust £4000. freaking joke if you ask me ... <deleted>

Was she convicted? Has she "gotten off"? Is she rich?

She has been charged with conspiracy to murder her husband Stephen Phillips ..

would love to see the Thais sort their society out.

Like your society has sorted itself out? No murders there? No gangs? Football hooligans? Drunken drivers and aggressive lager louts?

Get off your high horse for Chrissakes. It's pathetic.

And oh the humanity...a farang killed a day. As if a farang life is so much more bloody valuable than a local's.

Yes, let's clean up society because a foreign man was killed. How bloody arrogant.

Of course there are gangs and murders in other countries as well but Thailand was still the country with the highest rate of homicide by gun violence in the world.

Just reading about the last case who wife killed off her husband ... she was let out four days ago on bail for 200,000THB .. J ust £4000. freaking joke if you ask me ... <deleted>

Yes, charged. Not yet convicted yet. If convicted, she will go to jail for a long time.

Like your society has sorted itself out? No murders there? No gangs? Football hooligans? Drunken drivers and aggressive lager louts?

And oh the humanity...a farang killed a day. As if a farang life is so much more bloody valuable than a local's.

Yes, let's clean up society because a foreign man was killed. How bloody arrogant.

Of course there are gangs and murders in other countries as well but Thailand was still the country with the highest rate of homicide by gun violence in the world.

Interesting statement, as I lost count at over 50 countries with (much) higher murder rates than Thailand's.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

I generally don't bother to follow the news too much, but off the top of my head, the girl ramming the mini van and the guy in the merc ramming the bus shelter.

What about the four BIB that got the death penalty for murder then were released on bail pending an appeal. Hahaha. Classic !

Don't recall that. So what happened with the appeal?

There's a former police chief still in jail for involvement in the murders related to the Saudi gems scam.

They were released only a few months ago. " Appeal " is still pending. There is a thread on it here that you may like to have a look at.

There's a former police chief still in jail for involvement in the murders related to the Saudi gems scam.

They were released only a few months ago. " Appeal " is still pending. There is a thread on it here that you may like to have a look at.

While interesting, we're talking about people getting away with murder. Seems like the appeal process isn't even over in this case.

And in bizarre fashion, she is out on bail.

@ NewlyMintedThai

You made it your business to ask. Not me.

You bring up this case is not quite " talking about people getting away with murder ". whistling.gif

Edited by coma

Interesting statement, as I lost count at over 50 countries with (much) higher murder rates than Thailand's.

http://en.m.wikipedi...l_homicide_rate

Sorry I was referring to homicide by gun violence which was mention in this previous post:

And in bizarre fashion, she is out on bail.

Why is it bizarre? Do you feel she poses some risk to the public? An overwhelming chance that she will murder someone else while waiting for appeal? That's the how the judge makes a decision as to whether bail will be granted, you know.

In any case, if the Court of Appeals overturns her conviction, or if she somehow gets out of serving her sentence, or gets a slap on the hand, then we'll discuss further. Until then, she's not gotten off by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry I was referring to homicide by gun violence which was mention in this previous post: http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5714092

Well, I was talking about murder. Not quite sure why the choice of weapon makes any difference...

Hmm I was trying to highlight that highest homicide by gun violence also highlights the availability of firearms and the frequency of their use for murder. I thought that to be a bad sign.

Sorry I was referring to homicide by gun violence which was mention in this previous post: http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5714092

Well, I was talking about murder. Not quite sure why the choice of weapon makes any difference...

Hmm I was trying to highlight that highest homicide by gun violence also highlights the availability of firearms and the frequency of their use for murder. I thought that to be a bad sign.

I don't think murder victims really care if they were shot, strangled, stabbed, or drowned. The gun violence statistic tells an interesting story, but the overall homicide rate is what counts, surely.

Why is it bizarre? Do you feel she poses some risk to the public? An overwhelming chance that she will murder someone else while waiting for appeal? That's the how the judge makes a decision as to whether bail will be granted, you know.

In any case, if the Court of Appeals overturns her conviction, or if she somehow gets out of serving her sentence, or gets a slap on the hand, then we'll discuss further. Until then, she's not gotten off by any stretch of the imagination.

She represents a massive flight risk across a land border and reportedly she had been calling around threatening people. I am quite well acquainted with this story.

Who knows maybe she's going to do it herself next week. She is a risk to witnesses, the general public. She might get the death penalty, what does she have to lose?

• Like 2

1.2 murders per 100,000 people per year in the UK

20 million visitors to Thailand each year

By UK rates, you could expect over 200 visitors to Thailand to be murdered each year.

Not even "off the charts" by the stats of a "civilized" country like the UK.

Assuming your numbers are remotely correct, one must take into account that an average visitor may spend only one week in Thailand, or less if on business, so not accurate to compare murder rate of country and it's resident to another country based on all it's short term vacationers.

I would imagine that the percentage of foreigners spending a year or more in Thailand who die of suspicious causes, suicide, and murder would be a but disturbing.

• Like 1

@ Chads. I agree. In a society where it is not easy for an everyday Thai to legally possess a firearm, gun crime is huge.

However I think you are beatdeadhorse.gif dude trying to get your point across to some. thumbsup.gif

By UK rates, you could expect over 200 visitors to Thailand to be murdered each year.

Assuming your numbers are remotely correct, one must take into account that an average visitor may spend only one week in Thailand, or less if on business, so not accurate to compare murder rate of country and it's resident to another country based on all it's short term vacationers.

I would imagine that the percentage of foreigners spending a year or more in Thailand who die of suspicious causes, suicide, and murder would be a but disturbing.

You don't have to assume they're correct. Just google "murder rates by country".

I don't know of any statistics that separate short-time and long-time residents as crime victims. Still, with over 20 million visitors a year I don't find the numbers of them that fall victim to violent crime shocking at all. It only seems like a large number because it every single one of them is reported here and subject to hundreds of posts. We're talking about over 20 million visitors every year.

Personally, I find the numbers of visitors who meet an untimely end here surprisingly low considering how many locals meet the same fate every year. I don't see any statistical evidence whatsoever to indicate that crime against visitors is any higher than crimes against locals, or that Thais are somehow "out for whitey" as some posters have implied.

@ Chads. I agree. In a society where it is not easy for an everyday Thai to legally possess a firearm, gun crime is huge.

However I think you are beatdeadhorse.gif dude trying to get your point across to some. thumbsup.gif

I try to be fair with my criticism as much as possible, and I'm willing to accept if it seems like I'm proven wrong.

But in the case of Thailand, I still do think it's quite a violent and violence-prone society, when I compare it with all the other Southeast Asian countries I've stayed in.

That's the feel I get, reading news and through interactions with Thai and observations of them interacting with others (Thais and foreigners alike).

Edited by Chads
  • Like 1

If someone wants you dead, you'll be dead even if they can't get a gun. There will be a bomb in your car, a knife in your throat, or poison in your coffee. You're dead either way.

I try to be fair with my criticism as much as possible, and I'm willing to accept if it seems like I'm proven wrong.

But in the case of Thailand, I still do think it's quite a violent and violence-prone society, when I compare it with all the other Southeast Asian countries I've stayed in.

That's the feel I get, reading news and through interactions with Thai and observations of them interacting with others (Thais and foreigners alike).

In Southeast Asia, the following countries all have higher homicide rates than Thailand's:

Indonesia

Laos

Myanmar

Philippines

Timor-Leste

Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, and Cambodia have lower rates.

You don't have to assume they're correct. Just google "murder rates by country".

I don't know of any statistics that separate short-time and long-time residents as crime victims. Still, with over 20 million visitors a year I don't find the numbers of them that fall victim to violent crime shocking at all. It only seems like a large number because it every single one of them is reported here and subject to hundreds of posts. We're talking about over 20 million visitors every year.

Personally, I find the numbers of visitors who meet an untimely end here surprisingly low considering how many locals meet the same fate every year. I don't see any statistical evidence whatsoever to indicate that crime against visitors is any higher than crimes against locals, or that Thais are somehow "out for whitey" as some posters have implied.

Your 20 million number includes all border crossings, which means visa runs and people getting off planes at the airport. If I leave the country 20 times this year I will be counted as twenty visitors.

If someone wants you dead, you'll be dead even if they can't get a gun. There will be a bomb in your car, a knife in your throat, or poison in your coffee. You're dead either way.

Wow. Very inspiring post.

Really????

Yes, really. Your point?

No point....no point at all... whistling.gif

carry on....

• Like 1