Mobile Broadband (Dongle) Vs. Wifi (In Room)

kian

I'd like your help to make a decision between investing in mobile broadband, (the (dongle) modem) or to find accomodation (with free wifi in the room). I am going to be in/out of Thailand over a 3 month period, and I like the comfort, and convinience, of having relatively good Internet (surfing speed) sitting on my bed in my room. Finding a room with free Wifi in the room may not be easy since I'm looking for budget accomodation (in the Sathorn area, Bangkok). I'm looking to rent a simple, studio room for 1 month. I don't like the idea of going to the lobby to access the Wifi network, or visiting Internet cafes (with my laptop in tow). I need to download large files daily, and like to have my laptop downloading through the night. So, which route should I go? Wifi in room, or mobile broadband? I've heard some mobile broadband services are slow, the modem itself is expensive, and I maybe can't use it in other countries? I'm leaning toward Wifi in room. What do you think?

I need to download large files daily

Can you quantify? in Mega-Bytes?

What is your budget?

Do you currently have a phone? If so make/model? (You may be able to use the phone as a modem, or Mobile AP.)

Generally the issue with free, in-building WiFi is performance as it is shared, potentially with some power users, while mobile broadband (3G) should work it does come with some usage caps, 1 - 5 GB over 30 days, but you can choose a provider/plan with a higher fair-use speed limit, like 384 Kbps, which may be manageable? Note that some providers have fair-use speed limits as low as 64 Kbps.

I am using an AIS Super 3G dongle in Chiang Mai which works fairly well in most locations up here. In Bangkok it was very unpredictable, often slow, and on several occasions useless, even staying in downtown Sukhumvit.

Whichever company you use, I guess it depends on location, obstacles to the signal (thick walls, electrical interference etc.) and how many other people are taking bandwidth.

If you want to download large files, it is hardly an option, especially since it can cut out without warning. Since it is fairly inexpensive once you buy the Dongle, you'd perhaps be best to keep it as a mobile stand by, and go for a direct connection via your accommodation.

Good replies and I agree. Dongles are a great standby for use when your wifi drops out. File downloads should not be a problem as generally they will pause until the Internet connection is replaced. Light users can get away with just a dongle and/or using their phone service hot spots if they are available but in your case you would be much better off via wifi. I agree with the above comments.

Having a cap of bandwidth is usually a trait of mobile broadband, and 1-5GBmax/month is a problem, i may need to download 1GB in one day, the actual speed of download is not important for me, as I will be downloading overnight. It's the speed of surfing throughout the day (inc. peak hours) that's important.

My budget is low-medium, so whatever accom I get, the WIFI will be a crucial factor. Will they let me connect to the WIFI, to check its speed before I rent the room? Also, i would need to check the WIFI actually works in the room, and not just downstairs in the common area.

My phone is an old Nokia series, discontinued probably, 2G, no internet capability

I would like to do that, but I am not sure what kind of monthly rate a room with its own ADSL has like that has in Sathorn? My budget is 4500-7000b/month, although i am happy with cold water, fan, and no tv, good WIFI is a must.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a cap of bandwidth is usually a trait of mobile broadband, and 1-5GBmax/month is a problem, i may need to download 1GB in one day, the actual speed of download is not important for me, as I will be downloading overnight. It's the speed of surfing throughout the day (inc. peak hours) that's important.

My budget is low-medium, so whatever accom I get, the WIFI will be a crucial factor. Will they let me connect to the WIFI, to check its speed before I rent the room? Also, i would need to check the WIFI actually works in the room, and not just downstairs in the common area.

My phone is an old Nokia series, discontinued probably, 2G, no internet capability

You could get 2 simcards. Use one for your normal surfing during the day and the other for downloading the larger files overnight. Yes, it will cost you double, but you will get the high speeds for general surfing.