Upsetting The Locals

Michael Hare

I once parked a car in a street in Khon Kaen. I was not blocking any entrance and did not see any warning signs. After doing some shopping I came back to find both my front door locks had been injected with glue. Had to get two new locks fitted.

I can understand why Michael chose to feel annoyed by the ladies inconsiderate parking but one of the ladies did say sorry and as already pointed out by others it was not reasonable to say "you Thai people have no manners". The words "Thai people" should have been omitted; (obviously many Thai people do have manners, including Michael's son I assume). I am not claiming to be "holier than thou" - I once made a similar mistake in another forum when I referred to "the Chinese...". It was explained to me that I was guilty of "ethnic stereotyping" or some such term; similar to being racist. I was not being politically correct. Even now, I still sometimes find myself being politically incorrect.

I like Bananabender's reply - perhaps he's right!

JB

1. you parked in front of someones house, for sure! this fighting 'before my fence, only I/friends can park my/his/her car' is like a Adam and Eve story. Haven't in Europe, 40 years ago, me think I remember, too!

2. Why do you worry? U don't have a remote for the car? giggle.gif

Also: The cheap superglue isn't water resistant. Need a while but....!

I don't know about this assumption that thai's tip toe around situations like this.

My wife would go apeshit at the old ladies and id be the one telling her to calm down!

It's OK for a Thai, not good, but OK and the perpetrators will take note. thumbsup.gif

1. you parked in front of someones house, for sure! this fighting 'before my fence, only I/friends can park my/his/her car' is like a Adam and Eve story. Haven't in Europe, 40 years ago, me think I remember, too!

So you think it's okay to put glue in people's door locks? Wouldn't it be better to put up a sign or say something?

2. Why do you worry? U don't have a remote for the car? giggle.gif

No.

I don't know if it was superglue. Was I supposed to take a sample and send it to a laboratory for analysis?

No offense!

So you think it's okay to put glue in people's door locks? Wouldn't it be better to put up a sign or say something?

No, it's kind of childish! Also there is no such thing, that the parking space before the house belong to the house! Only the gateway is a 'no park, if you not belong to the house' area! But I tried to point out, that this thinking shouldn't be totally new, even to us Farang. And now think, where we are, in timeline, here in Thailand: Everyone gets cars, but no one has space, to park them!

No.

I was thinking so, but again, no offense, ok? It's kind of funny, wasn't it? At super cheap, remote cost less than 1000 baht! How much did you pay for the locks?

I don't know if it was superglue. Was I supposed to take a sample and send it to a laboratory for analysis?

It's the most available glue, in Thailand. Cheap and easy to use for locks 'injection', cause it comes with this funny tip. And it has a typical smell, I think.

But anyway, most people not even knowing, what superglue was meant for, before they sold it as superglue. I apologize for making a kind of a joke out of it.

sorry.gif

Edited by noob7

Btw:For the future, you can try the 'water bottles' -thing.

I see it everywhere around. And looks like, it is working!

Does it work for unwanted cars ?

clap2.gif probably the question will be: What's placed at first?

Thank you for you replies. I didn't lay it on thick at all. The whole conversation was over in about 1 minute. At least once a week I get home from work and find a car parked across my gateway. Usually the driver rushes over, apologizes, gives a wai and I smile and say no problem and that is that.

I am well known in this community. It was the attitude of these ladies that they had done no wrong that caused me to say that they had no manners. Ok I shouldn't have said you Thai people have no manners, I also should have smiled and laughed when I said it.

But what concerns me is the deep seated resentment expressed in the letter. Is this typical of the middle-class mindset in Thailand? For saying something, I am evil, a birdshit farang who comes to Thailand to make it dirty? My American friend in Ubon says many people here think like this. I have never met any kind of person like this before in my life.

Mr Hare, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, and I'm sure that if you live here for such an extended time that this is not the first similar event you encountered.

It just proves that no matter how long you live here,no matter how well you mix into society and financially support them or how many resident permits you carry,if you just say one single word wrong one time, their real hate against foreigners shows up.

It should be another lesson for those members with rose tinted goggles, that they will never be a Thai and that in fact they will always be hated deep inside.

I've lived here for 16 years and, although during that time I must have said a few wrong words to Thais, I certainly do not feel hated. Don't you think you are going just a tad over the top with those remarks?

Fair enough if you feel hated, but please don't include all expats in your group.

Now you can blast me for wearing those rose-tinted glasses!

• Like 2

I see too often Thais rationalize things away. Look at all the thiefs they catch that then say things such as: " i was unhappy and wanted money to go party". the more I go there the more "deflections" and fallacious reasoning I see them try to apply. All that is fine, except when they turn it around and then do the same to others. Oh well. Still is one heck of a place to visit and vacation.

To the OP I dont understand what the big deal is. If they took the time to write to you to complain it suggests that they handled it in a very civil way. In many countries you might have got a lot worse. I also have a feeling that your behaviour was a lot worse than you admit to. Your attempt to make judgements against the whole nation and reference them as if they are inferior speak volumes

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

this happens every place in the world...must admit to doing it myself for that 10 minute errand.....the usual thing is to park your car to stop egress of the offending vehicle for an hour or so..won't stop it for others but the short term revenge factor may help...of course it may get keyed....cheesy.gif

When I was a kid my dad used to have a hissy fit at people turning round in our driveway in the UK......very entertaining.

My wife won't let me park in font/beside food stalls ....she says it is because of the exhaust fumes.....then later when she thinks I am not looking the plastic bag goes out the window......smile.png

Mr Hare, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, and I'm sure that if you live here for such an extended time that this is not the first similar event you encountered.

It just proves that no matter how long you live here,no matter how well you mix into society and financially support them or how many resident permits you carry,if you just say one single word wrong one time, their real hate against foreigners shows up.

It should be another lesson for those members with rose tinted goggles, that they will never be a Thai and that in fact they will always be hated deep inside.

"Never be a Thai" (or accepted as a resident) = realistic

"Always be hated deep inside" = paranoid

Just an opinion

PS Many Thais (my TW included) believe that Thailand is going to the dogs on manners and selfishness (particularly as regards cars and driving habits). Not much different from expats, who mostly seem to think their home country is going to the dogs for some reason or other.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Ah, the killer argument :

"By saying we Thai people have no manners you are also saying that ..... has no manners."

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Class......

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Michael, you have misinterpreted this situation very badly. You are obviously a very hansum and charming falang man. One or both of those dear ladies definitely thinks so. I would suggest that the sole purpose of their parking in your driveway was to set up a meeting with you and hopefully some further assignation with you. The mild letter of rebuke you received ( who amongst us has not been called a kee nok falang?) was an act of passion, of love spurned.

You must repair the bridges and write a letter back to the lady begging forgiveness for your unspeakable rudeness. Who knows what a bountiful harvest you may reap? Cheers bb.

Wwwwwwwoooooooaaaaahhhhhhh..

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• 2 weeks later...

I once parked a car in a street in Khon Kaen. I was not blocking any entrance and did not see any warning signs. After doing some shopping I came back to find both my front door locks had been injected with glue. Had to get two new locks fitted.

JB

I more than once put superglue into locks, as well as broken off match sticks.

For no other reason that cheap fun.

Many times I did it, when I was 10 years old.

Great fun for immature kids.

Great fun.