Why Are Used Book Stores So Expensive In Chiang Mai?

TheVicar

I might add that the Neilson Hays library is a public, subscription based lending library. You pay a fee, whether for single, family or retired (2,000 baht a year as I recall for retired single) and you can take out about 6 or so books for a month. They have things that are simply unavailable elsewhere. When I told them I was moving to Chiang Mai and I asked if they knew of a similar institution in CM (they said, no) but they actually extended their loan period to me to 2 months! I cannot say enough good things about them. The building is so relaxing, and very well kept up considering its age (they put in an all new, wood floor just last year and installed a/c about 8 years ago). Their book sales are legendary in the expat community (and very well supported by both regular buyers and i suspect, used book store owners!). Their Thai staff is also very friendly and efficient.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you Sledgepot, and given the high rates being charged for used books in CM and the ripoff tactics employed even against loyal customers (as related by Silverhawk), I suspect that the used book store owners are cutting their own throats. Maybe this thread will wake one or two of them up and perhaps one owner might set out with new, more customer oriented tactics!

Still, I think there are many of us readers around who enjoy having books in our hands, holding the real written and printed words and carefully examing the diagrams and drawings in them at our leisure. They are more portable than any electronic device too since no battery is necessary. And if you drop them, no problem. And if you misplace one, or one is stolen, you still have your remaining library.

Yet, I'm impressed by the arguments advanced by the articulate advocates of e-readers here and likely will purchase such a reader soon; more as a supplement than a replacement to the actual books. I love not only holding real books in my hand but having them on bookshelves and putting them on tables so guests can admire them. Bookbinding and coverings are also forms of art that will otherwise be lost. Even the variety of fonts that we enjoy are largely the product of our historical book world and preceded the electronic age. Civilzation owes a great deal to the book industry (which is perhaps one of the reasons I'm quite disgusted with the scene that I have found in CM).

But I suspect we are nearing a divide similar to when Guttenberg came along centuries ago and destroyed the tradition of all those monks and copyists painstakingly writing out words on parchment. There is no denying that young people in particular shun things in writing/printing in favor of anything on a screen.

In short, there are good things and bad things about both products. But it may be the time to embrace the new technology while acknowledging that it has its own shortcomings!

Edited by TheVicar

I hear you Sledgepot, and given the high rates being charged for used books in CM and the ripoff tactics employed even against loyal customers (as related by Silverhawk), I suspect that the used book store owners are cutting their own throats. Maybe this thread will wake one or two of them up and perhaps one owner might set out with new, more customer oriented tactics!

Still, I think there are many of us readers around who enjoy having books in our hands, holding the real written and printed words and carefully examing the diagrams and drawings in them at our leisure. They are more portable than any electronic device too since no battery is necessary. And if you drop them, no problem. And if you misplace one, or one is stolen, you still have your remaining library.

Yet, I'm impressed by the arguments advanced by the articulate advocates of e-readers here and likely will purchase such a reader soon; more as a supplement than a replacement to the actual books. I love not only holding real books in my hand but having them on bookshelves and putting them on tables so guests can admire them. Bookbinding and coverings are also forms of art that will otherwise be lost. Even the variety of fonts that we enjoy are largely the product of our historical book world and preceded the electronic age. Civilzation owes a great deal to the book industry (which is perhaps one of the reasons I'm quite disgusted with the scene that I have found in CM).

But I suspect we are nearing a divide similar to when Guttenberg came along centuries ago and destroyed the tradition of all those monks and copyists painstakingly writing out words on parchment. There is no denying that young people in particular shun things in writing/printing in favor of anything on a screen.

In short, there are good things and bad things about both products. But it may be the time to embrace the new technology while acknowledging that it has its own shortcomings!

You seem to devote a huge amount of time to books the where and how much. Do you have time to read them and do you have a life without them?

I am seriously interested in a kindle and books and reading obviously play a much smaller part in my life than yours. Perhaps you might want to have a look at the Kindle and see the large selection of books on offer for free or next to nothing. Not having had a chance to look at the list myself I am told books that are no longer on copyrite are free. This of course means that you would have to pay for the new trendy ones. But Amazon does have a library where you can check them out for free one book a month.

I have a pretty good idea what people mean when they say they bought a Kindle, and haven't paid for a book since.

Odd among such an avid group of readers that no one is pointing out the obvious: downloading a torrent has no real relationship to the proper exchange that should take place between the author, publisher, and reader.

Everything of value on Amazon has a price, and it's not cheap - certainly more than a used book in Chiang Mai.

Often, there is little to no difference between the prices for their downloads and the purchase of a new book.

Having said that, I will agree with the OP about pricing. Used books here do seem expensive. However, it's also a fact of life that carrying a large inventory of items which may never sell is a hard way to make a profit.

For anyone who is visiting Bangkok regularly with a view to picking up some second hand books can I recommend www.dasabooks.com

Located on Sukumvit Rd near Soi 26 from memory (Prompong BTS). They have a highly organised shop,large selection and one of the owners is nearly always in attendance.I don't have any connection with the store just found when I was living in Bangkok it was far and away the best bookshop.

For a real traveler get a kindle. You can take up to 3,600 books with you depending on the model.

Assuming that you read 1 book a week, that's almost 10 years of reading!

Why on earth would someone want 3.600 books unless they planned to enter The Guiness Book of Records?

If you have a digital music collection it's probable that you've acquired a lot of material that you have never listened to and about which you know very little other than say it was recommended by a friend whose judgement you trust. The same is now true of e-books.

I'm a Kindle convert and after realising how brilliant it is, spent just a little time putting a library together with the help of a fabulous free application called Calibre which is everything iTunes or Windows Media Center should have been. I now have access to almost as many as I'll ever need and, although there's a fair percentage I may never get round to, if I'm curious about an author it's more than likely that I can find at least one title or download one from Amazon with ease.

I miss having shelves full of books for lots of reasons but this seems like a one way street to me.

And you don't address my other point that I bought a very good paperback of that book in Penang for the equivalent of B110.

Better take a trip back and stock up.

Don't buy any books in Chiang Mai, they are far too expensive for you and you don't need the stress it brings.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

If you have a digital music collection it's probable that you've acquired a lot of material that you have never listened to and about which you know very little other than say it was recommended by a friend whose judgement you trust. The same is now true of e-books.

Indeed I have acquired lots of music during my lifetime and much of it I repeat listening to at some point.albeit jazz from the 50's 60's or rock from 70's 80's or classical, so it's still functional. I do not have a large library of books except a special few, because as I said earlier I give them away and there's not too many I read twice. To have 3,600 books ready on Kindle suggests to me that the person has no idea what they really want to read or is trying to go for some kind of record.

Hey, but each to his own. smile.png

Who still uses real books these days ? Kindle etc are were it is at!

People like me, who only read a book when going to bed. The result is always the same, I wake up in the morning and the book is on the floor. Wonder how many 'falls' the Kindle will take before it's broken? unsure.png

Edited by Semper
  • Like 2

Isanbirdwatcher: "I shall be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks' time ( a very rare visit for me!), and shall check a few stores I've been recommended. Any other recommendations would be welcome!"

Glad to help out and maybe this is a positive way to end and thank all contributors here, even those with whom I have disagreed. If anything, this thread would indicate we have a lot of people in CM interested in reading, and that's wonderful. (And maybe people more knowledgeable about CM than myself can add similar places for CM).

In Bangkok:

1) check out the superb Neilson Hayes Library on Surawong Road (going toward the river away from Patpong, about 1 kilometer) and just next to the British Club. In addition to its 30,000 or so books, the colonial style building, about 120 years old, is historic (well worth a visit in its own right; lots of movies are filmed here) and it has a changing art exhibit in its rotunda plus talks with writers, workshops etc. Also, it has a lovely Garden Terrace restaurant with good food and drink for reasonable prices just next to it (food now from the British Club). If you are lucky and go on a weekend, they might be having one of their book sales (and prices are fantastic; I've actually picked up an armload of good books for B 100!) Here's their web site: http://www.neilsonhayslibrary.com/

It's the one institution I miss from Bangkok the most; Chiang Mai has nothing like it. The comfortable old green leather and wood sitting chairs are classics. The whole building has air con. A wonderful institution held back only by its volunteer expat (and all female) staff.

2. There's a good used book store not far from Bumrungrad hospital just off of Sukhmvit Road. I cannot recall the name or exact address but the Thai owner sits there most of the time reading from his own collection and you can bargain. Large collection of books reasonably priced in good condition. The owner is very knowledgable.

3. Asiabooks has bookstores, mostly new ones, all over the city. You can get a 10% discount card from them (they also have stores in CM) and often they have good sales (something like-- buy 2 get 1 free from a limited selection of books). The largest one is on Sukhumvit Road near the Grand Sheraton Hotel. Another large one is in the Paragon shopping center (3rd floor, I think) (located at Siam Square). Their stores usually also have bargain bins with books on huge discounts. You can get really good prices on cook books in these bargains bins and things like calendars.

4. Also in the Paragon shopping center (4th floor as I remember) is the enormous Kinokuniya Bookstore (a Japanese chain) which has the largest selection of books (new) in all of Southeast Asia. The English collection is huge and of course they have books in Japanese (and I think French, German and Spanish). Generally more expensive than Asia Books but a bigger collection AND you can read from titles in the bookstore (they have some comfy places to sit and read) and they have a good coffee shop in their store. The same bookstore has another large branch at the older Emporium shopping center on Sukhumvit Road. They often run good sales.

5. There is a large library run by AUA, which is not really an American university but the American government in disguise (ditto for AUA here in CM) not far from Silom Park. Books here are more academic in nature and usually nonfiction. You can get a library card for a nominal fee that allows you to take books out; and you can browse in the library free without a card. Good newspaper collection too. Comfortable, air con library.

6. The Goethe Institute and the Alliance Francais (you can get their locations from Google) both have libraries, mostly in German and French, respectively, but with a surprisingly large number of English books too. Both also have lovely food outlets and top notch cultural offerings. They are well worth visiting.

Thanks for the information. Libraries are not of much use to me, as I shall only be in Bangkok for a few days, and may not be back for years. New bookstores tend to be much more expensive, and I'd rather get more for less! The main one I've been recommended is Dasa, on Sukhumvit Road, and another not far away walking in the direction of the lower numbers.

Two more points:-

I've been addicted to reading all my life, and the physical feel of a book is part of the experience. So, yes, I read voraciously. I use e-books too, but for mostly books which I can't get 'in the flesh'. Anything which I can get on a Kindle, I can also get on my free Kindle app on my laptop.

Part of the pleasure of a secondhand bookshop is its unexpectedness. To go there with a Wants List destroys half the fun of it, though obviously one has an idea of what one wants. Obviously if you're after best-sellers, the price will tend to be higher; booksellers have to make money too. I was indeed surprised at the low prices of the Master and Commander series; in fact, I got the first one I read for 99B. at the 99B Bookshop on Charoenprathet (I think). At the same bookshop, I picked up a book called the Torrington Diaries, also for 99B. I had never heard of it, but it turned out to be a thoroughly self-opinionated account of a certain gentleman's trips round England in the 1780s, and a great read. Far more fun than Defoe's Tour through the Whole Island of Great Britain and Parson Woodforde's Diaries, and less contrived than Boswell. My taste, not yours, perhaps, but that's reading for you.

Is this "Jump on a TV sponsor season"? First it was real estate agents, now bookshop owners. What next? Expat bar owners? btw I can get beer much cheaper in Makro than most bars........ thumbsup.gif

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Isanbirdwatcher: "I shall be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks' time ( a very rare visit for me!), and shall check a few stores I've been recommended. Any other recommendations would be welcome!"

Glad to help out and maybe this is a positive way to end and thank all contributors here, even those with whom I have disagreed. If anything, this thread would indicate we have a lot of people in CM interested in reading, and that's wonderful. (And maybe people more knowledgeable about CM than myself can add similar places for CM).

In Bangkok:

1) check out the superb Neilson Hayes Library on Surawong Road (going toward the river away from Patpong, about 1 kilometer) and just next to the British Club. In addition to its 30,000 or so books, the colonial style building, about 120 years old, is historic (well worth a visit in its own right; lots of movies are filmed here) and it has a changing art exhibit in its rotunda plus talks with writers, workshops etc. Also, it has a lovely Garden Terrace restaurant with good food and drink for reasonable prices just next to it (food now from the British Club). If you are lucky and go on a weekend, they might be having one of their book sales (and prices are fantastic; I've actually picked up an armload of good books for B 100!) Here's their web site: http://www.neilsonhayslibrary.com/

It's the one institution I miss from Bangkok the most; Chiang Mai has nothing like it. The comfortable old green leather and wood sitting chairs are classics. The whole building has air con. A wonderful institution held back only by its volunteer expat (and all female) staff.

2. There's a good used book store not far from Bumrungrad hospital just off of Sukhmvit Road. I cannot recall the name or exact address but the Thai owner sits there most of the time reading from his own collection and you can bargain. Large collection of books reasonably priced in good condition. The owner is very knowledgable.

3. Asiabooks has bookstores, mostly new ones, all over the city. You can get a 10% discount card from them (they also have stores in CM) and often they have good sales (something like-- buy 2 get 1 free from a limited selection of books). The largest one is on Sukhumvit Road near the Grand Sheraton Hotel. Another large one is in the Paragon shopping center (3rd floor, I think) (located at Siam Square). Their stores usually also have bargain bins with books on huge discounts. You can get really good prices on cook books in these bargains bins and things like calendars.

4. Also in the Paragon shopping center (4th floor as I remember) is the enormous Kinokuniya Bookstore (a Japanese chain) which has the largest selection of books (new) in all of Southeast Asia. The English collection is huge and of course they have books in Japanese (and I think French, German and Spanish). Generally more expensive than Asia Books but a bigger collection AND you can read from titles in the bookstore (they have some comfy places to sit and read) and they have a good coffee shop in their store. The same bookstore has another large branch at the older Emporium shopping center on Sukhumvit Road. They often run good sales.

5. There is a large library run by AUA, which is not really an American university but the American government in disguise (ditto for AUA here in CM) not far from Silom Park. Books here are more academic in nature and usually nonfiction. You can get a library card for a nominal fee that allows you to take books out; and you can browse in the library free without a card. Good newspaper collection too. Comfortable, air con library.

6. The Goethe Institute and the Alliance Francais (you can get their locations from Google) both have libraries, mostly in German and French, respectively, but with a surprisingly large number of English books too. Both also have lovely food outlets and top notch cultural offerings. They are well worth visiting.

May i also add Dasa Books in Sukhumvit. It is just down past the Emporium and approx opp Foodland . Reasonably priced i thought and there are also books in German, French and a few other languages. Worth a look if you are in the neighbourhood. .Sorry just notice Dasa has been recomended - well i will endorse the recomendation.

UG . Although it is your business i am surprised by your statement that books in Australia are about the same price as Thailand.

I buy a lot of my books in Thailand because i have found they are at least a third cheaper Than Oz - but there are mainly in architectural , landscape design and interior design and horticulture , usually the "coffee table type"of publication . Usually don't buy a lot of fiction so you may be right about the prices. Interesting though.

Edited by xen

UG . Although it is your business i am surprised by your statement that books in Australia are about the same price as Thailand. I buy a lot of my books in Thailand because i have found they are at least a third cheaper Than Oz

I have not visited Australia since the Australian dollar became so strong. I suspect that you are right about the prices being higher there now, but they were comparable last time that I visited.

Edited by Ulysses G.

daVicar,I appreciate your information about book access in BKK. I might (as a result) stay there a day or two when passing it because of all the places that you suggest, in spite of my dislike of the city's density. Leather-chaired aircon sounds refreshing.

However, I believe, after three years of searching for reading hereabouts, that your understanding of the city, the selection of books available, or prices, are not yet as fully formed as they will be as when you have done more searches and worked with the outfits for a longer time. I've already mentioned that Gecko offers its current available books and shop location on-line, a convenience that should be considered as well, as should ease of travel. Virtually all of my exchanges with the staff members have been businesslike or friendly, incidentally, even though my Thai is bah.gif

It is impossible for us all to agree, I think, even about prices, as our tastes in reading might not be akin - and of course everyone else will look for their favorite areas as well. For example, I don't pick up books at random any more, preferring to chase down titles and authors according to reviews I've read - but I remember when I did that I liked the fun of discovering a good read at a great price, not rarely from a dusty shelf.E-books I treasure as they allow me to obtain titles not locally available, wherever I go. Happily, the number of titles we can get is increasing too - but here we pay more, of course.

As for reading a little or a lot, for any who wonder at the idea of a lot, I offer an Irishman's idea (a born Irishman, not 'O'Brian) - W.B.Keats in Sailing to Byzantium, the first two stanzas at least. (I like to imagine that Byzantium has many libraries with aircon.)

Edited by CMX

1. Thanks for the lengthy reply but I stand by my original position (and most people here seem to agree with me) that the prices of used books in CM are high.

2. You say you have copies of the book I wanted for less than B 200 (you don't specificy the exact price, I notice) but come on! I went to 5 bookstores here and the price ranged from about 220 to 260. No one offered that book for B200 or less. And you don't address my other point that I bought a very good paperback of that book in Penang for the equivalent of B110.

I walked over to the shelf and I have 4 or 5 copies of Master and Commander in good condition for 190 baht. You say yourself that the new price is "500-600 baht new". 190 baht seems more than fair to me as you would save 300 baht at a minimum. Why bargain?

I did address your point about Penang. As I said, different used book stores charge different prices for different books depending on how much they paid for them and how many copies they have in stock. There is no "real" price in used book stores. Just because you find a particular book for a cheaper price than at another store doesn't mean that the other guy is cheating you and just because you found a particular book cheaper in Penang does not mean that the book stores are cheaper than here. I will admit that I have not been there for a while, but last time I was in Penang, most of the used book stores were dirty and completely disorganized with a terrible selection. That does not mean that you could not find a decent book if you looked carefully, but the bookstores were not nearly the quality of some bookstores in Chiang Mai.

You seem to be on some kind of crusade, but your reasoning does not hold up. You claim that bookstores in Chiang Mai are more expensive than other places in Thailand and that is simply not true. You say that you could not find Master and Commander for less than 220 baht and I have a bunch of copies for 190. You say that I do not have 15,000 books selling for 100 baht, but I probably have more than that. I think that it might be an excellent idea for you to go ahead and buy a Kindle and stay out of the bookstores, but I suspect that it will not solve your problems.

My, it looks like I've touched someone's personal nerve here. I understand that book selling is your business but your posts are neither very informative nor very accurate. And the last one is bitchy, especially the last sentence. Was that really called for?

1. You haven't addressed the Penang situation at all. I've written repeatedly in this thread that it was not only Master & Commander that was significantly cheaper (even from the price you say you are selling at, by B 80) but that I also picked up two other very nice books each for 1 ringit each. That's 10 baht a book. That's a lot cheaper than your cheapest! And one of those books was by a Nobel Prize winning author, W. Faulkner.

2. I do admit that the used bookstores in Penang are dustier and likely less well organized (as a whole) than those here (although one of the major sellers here is terribly confusing) . Right you are on this one point. But who cares? You just dust the book off, and wash your hands after leaving. If the prices are much cheaper, and they are, so what? I'm visiting used book stores, not hospitals, so I expect a certain amount of grime. And yes, some of the bookstores there actually organize their books by the author's first names! A bit confusing but also quite charming once you get used to it. And as others here point out, part of the fun of going to a used book store is the sense of exploration.

3. I'm not on a mission or a crusade; my only "mission" is that I'm a life-long book reader and as I've said repeatedly, I've been surprised at how high priced the used book stores are here ESPECIALLY IN COMPARISON TO EVERYTHING ELSE IN CM. Food, rent, transport, all are far cheaper here than, say in Bangkok. The prices in the used book stores are not. I know the book store situation very well in Bangkok too. It is often possible to find NEW books on sale there cheaper or almost on par for price with used ones here because there is such an abundance of book stores. As I mentioned Asia Books is especially good, especially with sales and their discount of 10%. And the book sales at Neilson Hays are the best value I'm seen anywhere. Great variety, and really, really low prices. Even for hard cover books.

4. From another thread at this web site , I've learned about a place called the Raintree Resource Center in CM. They apparently have a FREE lending library of over 5,000 books in English, plus videos, cds etc. They are just the other side of Narowat Bridge. I went there this afternoon but unfortunately they have very limited hours, 10-12 on weekdays but closed on Wed. Open only 1 hour on Sundays. But it's free and from looking in the window (the door was locked) it looks like two huge rooms full of books. I also met someone who works there and she was extremeley friendly and apologetic about it being closed. I'll return soon and give a fuller report here. This might be an ideal solution for me because it appears you can check out books for several weeks, and up to 20 books per family. FREE! I might add that I have no connection to this group or its sponsoring organization which is the Chaing Mai Community Church. I think it's an excellent idea, especially since they likely don't have a touchy owner!

Edited by TheVicar

Lets see now you joined Thai Vista yesterday and you are a self proclaimed expert on used book stores. I don't think when you've joined any forum or the number of posts you have on any forum means much. It obviously doesn't in your case. Also on another post a know it all about Lo Khro. Huh? I have no idea what this is about.

You have told a respected Book Store owner that he dosen't know what the price is on a book even though the owner looked at them and also counted four copies. You are vastly oversimplifying our discussion. He didn't even name the price he was selling the book at in his original post; and I did survey at least 5 bookstores in Chiang Mai and NONE of them were selling the book for anything near the price he belatedly mentioned. You are partially blind Rain tree has one room with book shelves around it and a few book shelves in another room. I'm not blind; I saw what I saw but clearly indicated I would investigate more later. Something wrong with that? By the way, the Raintree people make the claim about 5,000 books, not me (and judging from what I saw through their window, I'd say they're spot on). If they have 5,000 books in there Ulysses G has 30,000. Have you considered the possibility that they have expanded their collection since you were there? They say, on their web site, they are steadily doing so. You seem to be all hung up on the price of Master & Commander.Any particular reason that set you off. I simply used that as but one example and it is popular so most people will know it and most book stores have it.

Did it ever occur to you that a Nobel Prize winning author, W. Faulkner might not be much in demand That's a really dumb comment. Faulkner won a Nobel prize for a reason and his books are still popular. and therefore cheap in a used book store. If you had read (and understood) my comment on this i not only said that I bought a Faulkner for 1 R in Penang but said I have seen NO books similarly priced anywhere (especially from a Nobel Prize winner) in CM. Think about it! I strongly suggest that you give yourself a break and get a e reade

Edited by TheVicar

Some other tips on bookstores in Bangkok because a couple of people here asked for the info:

1) Chatuchak Week End Market has a number of stalls that sell books. They are cheap and you can bargain. They are poorly organized though, if that word can even be applied to them!

2) The Khao San Road area (backpacker area) has at least half a dozen used book stores, maybe more. This area is easily accessible from the river. Prices are cheap and you can bargain.

3) In addition to Dasa on Sukhumvit road, and very nearby, is a bookstore called Elite (on Sukhumvit 33 I believe). Another, called Book is also in the Sukhumvit area.

In Pattaya, highly recommended is:

Canterbury Tales Cafe & Bookshop on Soi Chaipoon

Don't get a Kindle fire, buy the Nexus 7" from google .......... not limited like the Fire, not much more expensive, runs the Kindle software.

Might want to look at this for the Kindle Fire HD version vs Nexus 7.

The display on the Kindle Fire HD was the decisive winner of these two leading 7-inch tablets.

It is much better than the iPad 2 and almost as good as the new iPad in overall picture quality and color accuracy. While the new iPad's 264 PPI screen is significantly sharper for reading text and viewing finely detailed computer graphics, the Kindle Fire HD's 216 PPI screen is still very sharp and its 1280x800 screen exceeds the resolution needed for viewing standard High Definition 1280x720 video content, one of its principal marketing goals. Like the new iPad, the Kindle Fire HD has better picture quality and color accuracy than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors, so it could wind up being your most accurate display for viewing photos, videos and web content. Mobile displays are often viewed under reasonably high Ambient Lighting. The Kindle Fire HD has the highest measured Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light of any tablet that we have tested in our Shoot-Out series, which is impressive.

The Nexus 7 actually has an LCD display that is similar in performance to the Kindle Fire HD, but a poor (and sloppy) Factory Calibration has degraded its native panel performance. Depending on the display firmware this may or may not be correctable with a software update. A second problem is a bug that causes a 15 percent erratic variation in screen Brightness, sometimes bringing the Nexus 7 Maximum Brightness down to almost 300 cd/m2, which we classify as Poor for Maximum Brightness. It is likely that this particular display bug can be fixed by Google with a software update. On the other hand, the Kindle Fire HD has a (stable) Maximum Brightness of 434 cd/m2 that is much brighter than the Nexus 7 and among the brightest tablets we have tested. If both Nexus 7 problems are fixed with a software update, then the Nexus 7 display will be much closer in performance to the Kindle Fire HD. But in addition to these issues, the Nexus 7 has a Green primary that is much less saturated than even the iPad 2, which is quite noticeable and a step backward. This also significantly lowers the saturation of Yellows that lie between Green and Red. This can't be fixed in software, but even so, the Nexus 7 could still become a very good display if the other display software and firmware issues are fixed.

Gizmodo

would much prefer amazon delivered here, over a kindle or e-reader. using asia books for now.

now that i think of it, i never see thai's or anyone for that matter reading books in chiang mai.

an average thai rent is probably around 2-4k a month. with books at 300-500 baht it's probably hard to justify the expense.

the used stores near the moat gate are foreigner oriented, where are the cheap bookstores for local thais?

the used stores near the moat gate are foreigner oriented, where are the cheap bookstores for local thais?

There are lots of cheap bookstores for local Thais in Chiang Mai. They sell books written in the Thai language. There are two almost directly across from DK Books.

A bit off topic, but perhaps 'mod authorized' in content, is a take on e-readers. I have a suspicion of all-in-one gadgets, preferring for example a camera for taking photos to using a smartphone and a dedicated GPS as well; I just think that better results overcome the bother of extra pockets. Using a color based tablet with reading capabilities does not get the best, or even the better, book substitute. For one thing, they can wash out in bright light; for another, they don't have as much contrast or resolution of letters so that the reading is most trouble free..

Dedicated e-readers now include entries that can be read comfortably in bright light and are self-illuminating for dim situations or during power outages, not that electrical hesitations are a problem here, everrolleyes.gif - or when reading at night without bothering to arrange long tentacles of power cords from a single power source to arrive at a good reading light. The leader for the best e-book this week, as David Pogue puts it:

The glowy Nook has more hardware features and a better price. But if you’re choosing an E Ink reader over the color models, it’s because what you intend to do mostly is stare at that screen, lost in your reading. In that case, the display of the page is more important than any other factor, and that’s where the Kindle Paperwhite shines.

• Like 1

I'll leave the Negative Nellies to themselves; no need to reply. But no to the last jaded poster, I'm not interested at all in opening a book store (I'm retired and did enough in my lifetime).

On the positive side, I've just visited the Raintree Resource Center. It's terrific. And it's free (if you live in Chiang Mai and provide them with an address and a telephone number). Here are some other points about them:

1) they are not connected to the Raintree Foundation (at least to my knowledge; the foundation seems to have a very similar logo, or vice versa);

2) they are sponsored by the Chiang Mai Community Church; they do have quite a few religous books in their holdings but it is a nondenomination church and they don't try to proselytize;

3) they have a large stock of books (their web site says 5,000) and having just visited, I believe that estimate. The Raintree occupies 3 very large rooms and each is amply stocked with books and magazines. In addition, there are a number of comfortable cane/wicker type chairs where you can sit and read or converse with others and a number of strategically placed fans.

4) They have a large selection of books for children and another large youth collection. I'm sure that's very helpful for families living here.

5) They have a very good selection of fiction and nonfiction books. Magazines included (from what I saw in cursory fashion) Newsweek and National Geographic (and a lot of church magazines and travel magazines). No newspapers that I saw.

6) They have a very large travel section (at least 200 books, I would estimate) with fairly up to date books. They also have a large and good collection of cook books (about the same size as the travel section, maybe bigger). This includes some hardbacks.

7) I spent most of my time in the adult fiction section (which takes up most of the largest room). Overall, they have more space than any bookstore I visited in CM with the exception, maybe, of one. It is well organized alphabetically. The non fiction section appears to be organized in the Dewey Decimal system. Everything is easy to find and locate.

8) Here are some samples of what they have in the fiction section (to give people an idea of their holdings):

12 David Baldacci books;

40 plus A. Christie mysteries;

4 books by Patrick O'Brian;

5 books by Jane Austen;

9 books by C. Dickens;

3 books by Dostoevsky;

20 or so books by Dick Francis;

12 books by James Michener;

1 book by Mary Renault;

7 books by Len Deighton;

6 books by John Steinbeck;

the Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote;

Flaubert's Madame Bovary

9) I struck out on two of my favorite authors. They have zero books by Georges Simenon (who wrote hundreds and who, in my opinion, was one of the greatest writers of the 20th century) and they have zero by Roald Dahl, at least in the adult section (Dahl might well be in the children or youth sections). So it is a bit hit and miss probably because their collection seems to come mostly from donations. Yet, overall, I was favorably impressed with what they do have. Although they have a large number of books popular today, I'd say most of their collection is classics and popular authors from a while back. That suits me fine. Thus, I was pleased to find a copy of a book I had not read by Victor Canning, another favorite author.

10) they also have cd's, DVD's, audio books, and tapes that can be checked out. Quite a large collection. The cd's, however, are mostly religious music.

11) they also have a stand of free pamphlets, brochures, maps and other materials including two handy publications. One is called Helpful Hints For Getting Settled in Chiang Mai, a 97 page publication they put together. Suggested donation is B 40 and I would say this is a bargain. They have another similar publication, same suggested donation, on giving birth in Chiang Mai. The Vicar passed on this one (by the way, it is only my handle here and I am not connected to any religion and have no connection to the Raintree people; I do not benefit in any way from positively reviewing them).

12) There was a very helpful and friendly volunteer worker at the Raintree. They also have coffee, tea and hot and cold water (no price but a donation of some kind suggested) for users. Overall, the Raintree is pleasant, comfortable, and has a nice feel to it. I also met a few other patrons and they were friendly and talkative. No one talked about or pushed religion. They are not interested in making money; they are interested in providing a community service (and isn't that a pleasant change in this day and age).

13) They have a small web site that gives their location and hours. http://cmcchurch.org...ss/?page_id=535

It is located just on the other side of the Narowat Bridge (turn left immediately after you go across the bridge and then turn right immediately into their very large parking lot. They have signs and two entrances, one from the parking lot and one from the street that continues from Narowat Bridge.

14) The only negative is their hours: 10 a.m. to noon and closed on Wednesday. Sunday open only 1 hour (in the afternoon). This is understandable given that they are a free lending service and they rely mostly on volunteer staffing. I was told that they had evening hours in the past and maybe will again.

But given the variety of books they have, the pleasantness of their library (yes, I know it is in an old building but they've made it comfortable), the openness of the people there, I'd say this is a terrific community resource. Of course, they might not have specific titles that a reader may want and for that purpose there are the local bookstores, mostly overpriced used bookstores and the ereaders.

But all in all, I'd say very well done Raintree! If you enjoy books and reading, this should be high on your list in Chiang Mai.

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 1

So when does TheVicar open his bookshop? Im assuming thats what all this is about.

The prices of secondhand books in Chiang Mai in my 8 years experience around Thailand, aren't really much higher in CM than anywhere else. If you single out a particular title, as UG says, you will find some cheaper, some more expensive than the other. There isn't a Thai English Language Secondhand Book Price Guide, so it comes down to supply and demand, as UG says. Same applies for any title you choose. You will find different prices in different places.

Thailand is not Malaysia, so comparing Penang prices to Thai prices isn't really the point. The prices are what they are in Thailand, so live with it, get an ereader, or stop reading. It isn't going to change anytime soon. Although maybe eventually the rise of the mighty Kindle and the like may push secondhand book prices down so they can sell some. Of course, it may push them up too, as they sell less, so need more profit per sale to cover overheads etc. :S

As for TheVicar saying this "I did survey at least 5 bookstores in Chiang Mai and NONE of them were selling the book for anything near the price he belatedly mentioned". Then Im a bit amused. Newflash Vicar! There are more bookshops than the five you went in!! UG has a few shops, and it is likely you didn't go in one of his, or the one where he has them at 190baht. As a self proclaimed book enthusiast, Im surprised that you haven't developed much logic. You accuse someone of simplifying your discussion, because UG didn't give a specific price initially, and that you had checked 5 bookstores..... Huh? How does that change things?

As for UG being touchy - its a bit like saying Simon Cowell is nasty when he tells some moron that wails like a cat and is convinced they are just as good as Michael Jackson, that they can't sing...

Very well put MM.smile.png