Case Closed On The Deaths Of Canadian Sisters Audrey And Noemi Belanger: Krabi

webfact

Whatever the details are, if the family don't want a media circus at a time of mourning, fair enough. But what about a heads-up for the thousands of kids who arrive in PhiPhi every month? Their safety has to be given a thought here. I want to know how those ladies died.

It`s up to the parents and families of young people to advise of the dangers involved when they venture out into the big wide world. Our kids are our responsibility and the warnings should begin at home, not in the media from a family publicising their own failures and liberal attitudes towards their children.

I held nothing back from my kids when they were young, and explained in no uncertain terms what it`s all about, the pitfalls and dangers to be aware, from my own experiences and to the best of my knowledge. It’s never too early to educate your children about the dangers of life and should encourage discussion about them.

Parents cannot expect to have complete control over their children, but they are supposed to prepare kids for their lives in adulthoods to the best of they`re advantage.

I do believe that the free and easy approach fails them in later life, the results being young adults who are ill prepared for the challenges and hazards that they will be faced within these modern times of easy access to drugs and alcohol and the dangers of letting down their guard and awareness when within certain environments and drawn into risky situations.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my daughters want to go and take a trip around Thailand but I stall, worried perhaps because no-one knows why these two girls died and who was to blame, because they surely didn't both die of natural causes.

Who are the parents to decide not to interview what I understand is the only suspect ?

The only reason I could think of where the family would not want an investigation would be if they committed suicide and given the Thai police's willingness to find any death to be suicide if they want it hard enough, then it would offer an easy way out.

Something stinks and it stinks bad.

This is bigger than the family's request. It can be compared to a girl being raped. The raped girl's family doesn't want anything done about it, because they want to find closure as soon as possible, and they don't want their and their daughter's reputation being tarnished further. That's understandable to a point. But the public, and in this case, future tourists deserve better. There have been at least half a dozen mysterious unsolved cases which are similar to the tragedy which happened to the Canadian sisters. - the real number could be over 20, just in the Phuket/Krabi region. ....and most are ordinarily healthy young farang dying quickly. My sense is the family was pressured to adopt a hands-off response due to pressure by Thai authorities worried about damage to Thailand's tourist image.

The result of such blanket mishandling, delay of action, and cover-up will do more harm to Ko Phi Phi and surrounding tourist areas - in the long run, than if authorities had done a professional open adept job. If you have staph infection on your forehead, you can cover it up with a cap, and that will work for awhile. But the infection will probably get so bad that no amount of covering up will hide it. Better to lance it and be honest about it. Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Thai crime investigations are immersed shadows, deception and ineptitude.

As the deceased parents were liaising though the Canadian authorities, you're suggesting the Canadian authorities collaborated with the Thai authorities to pressure the family to "protect" Thai tourism industry? Please let me know why any parent would listen to & accept such an approach.

update:

Krabi police close sisters' case

The Nation

KRABI: -- Police have closed the case on the deaths of Canadian sisters Audrey and Noemi Belanger and no more investigations are to be conducted.

Audrey, 20, and Noemi, 25, from Quebec, were found dead in their hotel room on Koh Phi Phi on June 15. Both had suffered a violent physical reaction to suspected poisoning.

Autopsies conducted by forensic police identified that both women had ingested an undisclosed amount of the insecticide Deet, possibly from a "party cocktail" known locally as "Four Times 100".

The regular form the "cocktail", however, does not contain Deet or any insecticide.

"We have been asked by the Canadian Embassy and the [belanger] family to not reveal anything about the case. We are standing by that. The cause of death in the police report to the embassy is "unknown", Lt-Colonel Jongrak Pimthong of Krabi City Police told the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

All investigations into the case will cease, including any attempt to question the man last seen with the sisters before they were found dead.

However, Krabi police will continue to check the drinks being served at night entertainment venues.

"If we find anything suspicious, we will report it to Krabi Public Health Office," Jongrak said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-04

The cause of death has not been established-----the family do not want any more news leaked out!!!!!!! Sorry but thats 2 "NO's" Somebody knows how they died,and I do not believe the family wants this covered up.Would you if it was your daughters????????? <deleted> is happening.LOS is getting scary .Police are not interested in Farang deaths---no money in it.Authorities do not want nasty reports to hang about to scare tourists so better shut case {and mouth} and smile as the newbies come off the plane.God help us all if we ever get into any trouble---and dont kid youself YES it can happen to YOU.

Unbelievable..! Truly unbelievable...! I do not believe what they are saying at all..... ! <deleted> is going on here...??

“We have been asked by the Canadian Embassy and the [belanger] family to not reveal anything about the case

That's whats' going on

indeed, despite the anti=thai sentiments it would seem the Canadian authorities and family have put a stop to the investigation.

The Wild Wild East.

You're on your own in Thailand, kids.

Must be some pretty heavy duty players in Krabi / Phi Phi to put the lid on this in such an effective manner.

Maybe a question to the family via a facebook link which surely must exist ( don't all youngsters have one ) may result in a forthright answer.

Annabell. I believe you are Canadian, maybe you have had contact somehow with the embassy from the past which may give an opening.

Just thinking aloud.

yes, random forum people harassing the family via facebook is a great idea. good to see someone is thinking clearly.

Im Canadian too, perhaps i know them.

We live right across the street from them in downtown Canada, near Canada Airport and Canada Stadium.

Perhaps i will call up the lady at the Embassy in Bangkok who takes in the forms for passport renewals or make an approach at the next Canada Day Barbeque.

Yet another whitewash by the "Royal Thai Police' ( could not police a traffic jam !!) they may have slept with a police man but thats as close as they get to policing. What with multiple suspicious deaths and murders over the last month or so this place is becoming the laughing stock of S E Asia. Who in there right mind would want to holiday here now. They would be better holidaying in a nuclear power plant !! they are safer !! Get your act together RTP and the Thai Government before its too late !! RIP Girls.

Too late for what?

Not that I believe the claim the police are making for one second, but the fact that a family member, or anyone, can tell the police to not investigate a possible homicide shows the incredibly rudimentary level of policing and investigating that exists here. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

I think you have missed the point completely. Obviously neither the family or police think it was homicide, otherwise the case wouldn't be closed. The family haven't told the police not to investigate a possible homicide. So don't make up things that aren't true.

Obviously, we will never know what happened, for may reasons.

Thailand has reasons for not scaring tourists away, and is certainly one of these reasons.

Another reason is possibly the dificulty in determining who is responsible for these deaths.

I am a canadian. I have given up on hoping to find out the truth behind this.

Quite possibly the family has given up likewise.

Maybe the family does know, but they don't want the whole world, including you, to know about it. Hence they asked the Police not to reveal any info.

So my daughters want to go and take a trip around Thailand but I stall, worried perhaps because no-one knows why these two girls died and who was to blame, because they surely didn't both die of natural causes.

Who are the parents to decide not to interview what I understand is the only suspect ?

The only reason I could think of where the family would not want an investigation would be if they committed suicide and given the Thai police's willingness to find any death to be suicide if they want it hard enough, then it would offer an easy way out.

It may be that drawn from the CCTV footage, the man is NOT a suspect. Thought about that angle? None of us know enough of this case to say anything definitive, so anything we say is no more than speculation.

There is too much paranoia surrounding this case.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Reading this whole thread, even I am surprised at the number of people calling this a cover-up to save the face of tourism in Thailand, that Thai influence would stop Canadian authorities from revealing their autopsy results, even to the point of blaming the family of the two girls for not having the decency of promoting the dangers to young people travelling to Thailand after the tragic demise of their daughters.

Amazing! There have only been a few that have looked a bit deeper into this throughout. Nothing has been proven that it was DEET in a cocktail that killed these girls; it is suspected but nothing has been proven.

Though there is a possibility that the family want closure on the whole issue to save more grief, is it not also possible that the Canadian autopsy could have revealed other possibilities regarding the deaths and the family don't want that information in the public domain?

Out and out blame on the inefficiency of the Thai authorities in a high profile case like this, to me anyway is ludicrous when they know a second autopsy is going to be conducted. The case was closed with the cause of death as unknown for a reason. If it was otherwise, for sure you would have heard from the Canadian medical teams and the family of the girls.

Edit: Having just read the update in post #100 about the family denying their request for silence and non-disclosure of information, my above observations above remain (my personal viewpoint).

Edited by chrisinth

About the Canadian Embassy wanting to conceal info, why they will do that? Maybe the family just want to be the first to learn what happens to their daughters and not read it in newspapers but nothing more. Of all the people, they are the ones who want to know more than anything what happens to "have a closure" about all this. They without a doubt know just so important it is for everyone to know what really happens.

About the 3 big theories about their deaths;

1. Pesticide (Deet) in drink. Can be accidental or criminal. If it was just an accident, it's surprising that they were the only being really sicks from it. Doesn't make any senses to me unless it's criminal but even in that case, it's doesn't explain the cyanosis symptoms seen on the sisters. I don't know why the police go with that lead more than the other two.

2. Poisoned food (fugu). thats can explain the cyanosis but not the skin lesions.

3. Bedroom watered with pesticide to kills bugs. Can it explains in big parts the symptoms they had and why they seems the only ones getting sicks from this? Maybe. We will probably never known since the room was clean before the toxicologists came in. Cover up?

The fact is #2 and #3 theories are, at least for me, way better than #1.

Also the two sisters as been described by family and friends as two happy and responsable university students with the eldest one being an experienced traveler. So we can almost rule out theories about willingly taking drugs to get high or suicides.

So the case is close, inconclusive and we are not sure why the sisters, like some others before, die. If there is a cover up, it's definitely not coming from the Bélanger family. As for the Canadian Embassy, I don't see why they will conceal informations. Even if it was the case, what the Kabri police said is a stupid excuse, since such informations, if vital, are criticals for everyone going in Thailand and so they should reveal them. So in a country were the economy depends greatly on traveling, why they seems to hide themselves behind "political porcedures" with one Embassy to not reveal the informations if theses are critical to health and security of travelers? Is it because there is nothing new or vital? Because the survey is inconclusive and messy? Or is it because they fear the true (or what they think the true is) will hurt more the local economy (traveling) than not knowing it?

I just want be clear, I'm no saying there was necessary a cover up but it still nontheless an option. The bedroom that was clean before the toxicologist can be just a supid mistake and not a cover up. In fact, it's more plausible.

But the thing that really anger me is when the Kabri police is pointing finger to the Canadian Embassy and the Bélanger family for not revealing anything about the case because they been ask for. Not only it seems to be false (the father himself said so, he even said is a much in the dark as us) but it's up to the police to reveal or not the critical informations, for the security of the travelers. And If there is nothing new in the conceal informations, just said so. But no matter what, the final decision to reveal the conclusions of the survey is up to them.

So when the Kabri Police hides behind to the Canadian Embassy and the already grieving Bélanger family saying they been ask by them to not reveal anything, it's quite a disgusting low blow. And of course, you want to know why they said such things and you start thinking that maybe there some sort of cover up or they are simply bad in public relations.

Cause of death was determined and family requested no further action. What more do you want?

How about those that caused the death to be arrested.

What if those people are no longer with us?

thumbsup.gif

Absurd explanation. Plain and simple. So much for even feigning working in the public interest. Can't figure out what happened during a night of partying in public on a small island? Closed at request of family? Total BS. The locals watch everything.

TL - Hub of mysterious deaths

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I just want be clear, I'm not saying there was necessary a cover up but it still nonetheless an option. The bedroom that was clean before the toxicologist can be just a stupid mistake and not a cover up. In fact, it's more plausible.

But the thing that really anger me is when the Kabri police is pointing finger to the Canadian Embassy and the Bélanger family for not revealing anything about the case because they been ask for. Not only it seems to be false (the father himself said so, he even said is a much in the dark as us) but it's up to the police to reveal or not the critical informations, for the security of the travelers. And If there is nothing new in the conceal informations, just said so. But no matter what, the final decision to reveal the conclusions of the survey is up to them.

So when the Kabri Police hides behind to the Canadian Embassy and the already grieving Bélanger family saying they been ask by them to not reveal anything, it's quite a disgusting low blow. And of course, you want to know why they said such things and you start thinking that maybe there some sort of cover up or they are simply bad in public relations.

I agree with both of your last statements.

It has been a cover up from the very get go. It was Lt-Colonel Jongrak Pimthong of Krabi City Police that told us [ quote ] "We have been asked by the Canadian Embassy and the [belanger] family to not reveal anything about the case."

NOT the Embassy themselves telling us direct. There is a huge difference.

Post # 100 from a seemingly reliable source. As late as yesterday 3rd. October 2012 the father attests to this fact and also views his disappointment with the case so far. I would rather believe such a statement coming from him than from a jockey or in this case seemingly the bookmakers. There could be a lot at stake here.

Are they simply bad in public relations ?

All those in public office, above those that started yesterday, be they politician, land department, police, or in this case Lt-Colonel Jongrak, only open their mouth to change feet.

I feel the parents may be privy to this forum, if read in context the statement. He held to mean that he was appalled by the comments left by some users who got their assumptions on media sites.

Besides offering my own personal condolences on the family's loss to Carl Bélanger, I would point out that us on this forum are in general as frustrated with the investigation to date and the poor standard of factual reports by the Thai Press.

davidstipek.

" What would happen if we as foreigners handed out leaflets at Thailands International Airports to arriving Farang's??? What would this do to repair their (Thai Police) Attitude?? "

A quick and accurate answer I think would be would be......

Ok you try it first, be my guest. If you weren't grabbed by police and charged with working without a permit and deported, someone for a fee, probably 5 or 10 k baht, judging by current court reports, would follow you home after your first day on the job, and next thing you know, (well you wouldn't) you would keeping these poor unfortunate girls and those before them company.

Leaving yet another unsolved case.

Unbelievable..! Truly unbelievable...! I do not believe what they are saying at all..... ! <deleted> is going on here...??

“We have been asked by the Canadian Embassy and the [belanger] family to not reveal anything about the case

That's whats' going on

But of course that will not satisfy the keyboard warriors who look for evil conspiracies around every death in thailand...if the family asked the BIB to SHUT UP what more does anyone need to know other than the family wants NOTHING REVEALED. Why? who knows but it WAS their children that died and they may well know a lot more than a bunch of farangs scratching their rear ends and typing nasty comments on a forum. End of story.

That's whats' going on

But of course that will not satisfy the keyboard warriors who look for evil conspiracies around every death in thailand...if the family asked the BIB to SHUT UP what more does anyone need to know other than the family wants NOTHING REVEALED. Why? who knows but it WAS their children that died and they may well know a lot more than a bunch of farangs scratching their rear ends and typing nasty comments on a forum. End of story.

Jeeze.. are you following the story. As has been reported by a DIRECT quote from the Father of the deceased, the family DID NOT ask anyone to shut up or end the investigation and even the family has publicly called the BIB buffoons.

• Like 1

You are right. And the Thai police is lying through their noses. Not uncommon. It seems neither the girls' parents nor the embassy have requested a lid on the investigation. Especially noit before the result of the autopsy by the canadian doctor. So again a murder remains unsolved due to the blatant incompetence of the thai police and/or their protectioning of the murderer(s).

• Like 1

Posts have been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Maybe the family & embassy just want the thai police to stop sending out unsubstantiated, incorrect info about the case? Doesn't sound as if this poor family really are ready to forgive & forget. Or accept Thailand's conclusion. A couple of interesting articles here...

http://www.theenterp...-poisoning-cops

http://shakespearest...udrey-belanger/

I agree . I have entered several hotelrooms in the past 30 years here in los whitch the staff has just sprayed with some kind of pesticide.. It cant be good for us either .. Edited by John Egil

Case is closed ...don't scare the tourist who might have the idea to come to Thailand ..... what a joke ! I feel sorry for the family of those girls.

Case closed basically by the request of the Canadian government and the Belanger family. They know so much much more than any of us here on TV! So respect their wishes!

Or, as usual, they have been totally misinformed, to protect Thailand's tourism image. What is really scary is that the police have given up and whoever is pedalling these lethal cocktails is still out there, business as usual!

"Jayman"

so case closed.. police claiming they died from DEET ingestion from a cocktail called 4 x100 that normally doesn't contain DEET. Am I missing anything else here?

Again one Thoughtless text from you, Jayman.

I get tired of this!!! Of You.

Could you read and think, and all that, before you post?? Jayman??

Answers: No: NO!! They didnt die from DEET.

It says That very clearly in the O.P. And you are not missing much there!

They died from something else, and the OP was clear about that.

And the family doesn't want to tell you (and me) about it, can we accept it without polluting the webspace??

Thank You.

Dude chillax. The OP is full of false info, The whole story contradicts itself and that is what I was pointing out. As was made clear by the Father of the deceased, the family has not called off anything and think negatively of how the BIB are handling this whole thing. The family DOES NOT know the cause of death and they want to for sure.

update

Police re-confirm no further investigation into Belanger sisters' deaths

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Krabi Police re-confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today that they have ceased any further investigation into the deaths of Canadian sisters Audrey and Noemi Belanger.

No further investigation into the death of the sisters will be conducted, unless the Public Prosecutor or the Canadian Embassy orders that the police resume their work on the case, explained Lt Col Jongrak Pimthong of the Krabi City Police.

“At the police investigation level, the case is closed,” said Lt Col Jongrak.

“However, the case technically remains ‘open’. It can only be officially closed by order of the court,” he explained.

“We have sent a cause-of-death report to the Canadian Embassy and the Krabi Prosecutor’s Office. This is not a criminal report. We have no suspects,” Lt Col Jongrak said.

The cause of death is listed in the police report as “unknown” due to the circumstances of the sisters’ deaths, he said.

“I cannot comment any further about the cause of death,” he said.

“The Embassy is not questioning the cause of death. They only want to know how ‘it’ [DEET] got into their systems,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...aths-18098.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-05