About Half Of Thais Favour Changing Employers: Survey

webfact

SURVEY

About half of Thais favour changing employers

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More than half of the Thai respondents (53 per cent) to the Kelly Global Workforce Index survey believe that changing employers from time to time is more important to advancing their careers than to remain with the same employer for life.

"We are seeing a shifting attitude on the part of employees who are increasingly embracing the idea of working for multiple employers as a way to gain a wider array of work experience while they grow their careers," Wanna Assavakarint, managing director of Kelly Services Thailand, said yesterday.

The KGWI examines issues of job mobility and career progression as part of a shift to a more autonomous and empowered workforce. The survey reflects the changing attitude of workers, with more seeking to gain new experiences and skills with multiple employers. Nearly 170,000 people in 30 countries participated in the survey.

In spite of the lingering uncertainty in the global economy, three-quarters say that if they did change jobs, they would be in a good position to negotiate a similar or better position.

The idea of a career for life with one employer is regarded as relevant by 28 per cent of workers, and those with professional and technical skills are less attracted to the career-for-life (25 per cent) proposition than other workers (35 per cent).

Results of the survey in Thailand also show that more than three-quarters (81 per cent) say experience with multiple employers is an asset in their career development.

More than a third (35 per cent) admit that they actively look for new jobs even when happy in their current ones.

Three-quarters believe that if they changed jobs, they would be in a good bargaining position to secure a similar or better position, while 37 per cent believe they will have the chance to progress or gain a promotion with their current employer.

A quarter (26 per cent) believe their current employer is not realising their full potential.

"Employers face the reality that even happy workers are actively planning for the next step in their career and that many workers are seeing the advantages of wider employment experiences with a more diverse range of organisations," Wanna said.

"Employers need to consider ways to improve their development and promotional programmes so that employees think twice before switching employers."

The Kelly Global Workforce Index is an annual survey revealing opinions about work and the workplace from a generational viewpoint. About 170,000 people from the Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa participated in the survey.

Results will be published throughout this year on a variety of topics such as employee retention, social media and the highly virtual workplace. Findings on the current topic can be found at Kellyservices.com.

Kelly Services offers outsourcing and consulting services as well as staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire and direct-hire basis. Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provides employment to more than 550,000 people annually. Revenue last year was US$5.6 billion (Bt171 billion).

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-05

Update

50% of Thai Employees are happy with their current jobs.............Kelly Services does what exactly ? oh a job placement firm, nice PR and press release.

I've always believed if you can't get out of bed for a week because of stress or you hate the job or your boss it's time to change, I've only gone one day and then I realised I need that stupid thing called a pay cheque.

'A quarter (26 per cent) believe their current employer is not realising their full potential.'

I totally agree and understand this problem.

But how can an employer realize the potential of staff when they are coming late to work, having their som tam breaks every two hours, playing computer games or with their phones, chatting with colleagues or online all day long, taking a nap every now and then or simply pulling a Hudini?

'A quarter (26 per cent) believe their current employer is not realising their full potential.'

But how can an employer realize the potential of staff when they are coming late to work, having their som tam breaks every two hours, playing computer games or with their phones, chatting with colleagues or online all day long, taking a nap every now and then or simply pulling a Hudini?

You are totally wrong. From the way you described the labor situation in Thailand, the employers have realized the full potential of their staffs. You also forgot my favorite one: "I am going home today to see my family". "How long have you known you were going home?" "For a month". "Why didn't you tell me a month ago, so I could find someone to work for you?" "Because I am going home today" crazy.gif .
  • Like 1

IF only their educational minister years and years and years ago made sure each of these pers, ons were completely fluent in Englsih including the IDOMS AND NUANCES which are in every single language on this planet they would have an abundant wealth of opportunities outside of their own country, rather than being locked into to a single geographical boundary of their own country.

Most Thais who speak even better than average English irrespective of low levels of grammar and sentence structure find opportunities outside of Thailand with European and Western companies.

One woman I know is a Sous chef..she works on an international cruze liner and makes about 65,000 Baht per month. When she worked here, the most she could pull down was about 15,000 baht tops, and thats only if the employer decided to pay her rather than cheat her.

English is most certainley the key.

Things change fast these days due to greater access to information and communication than ever before, providing an abundance of external stimuli that can constantly alter one's thoughts, perceptions, values and goals.

Expecting to work for the same employer for the rest of one's life is as old-fashioned as expecting to be with the same relationship partner (including marital partner) for the rest of one's life.

Update

50% of Thai Employees are happy with their current jobs.............Kelly Services does what exactly ? oh a job placement firm, nice PR and press release.

I've always believed if you can't get out of bed for a week because of stress or you hate the job or your boss it's time to change, I've only gone one day and then I realised I need that stupid thing called a pay cheque.

Most "news" these days is just PR from companies.

• Like 1

I have the good fortune to manage teams in Thailand, India and Korea .... and I'd struggle to say who works the hardest. Yes, the Thai team seem to do more eating than the others, and the India team has the highest volume, and the Korean team party the hardest ..... but the one consistent factor is that they all work harder and longer hours than our US and UK colleagues and they can match them on professionalism and dedication.

Pick the right people in Thailand and you can have a world class team. And I hope that by supporting them and being a half decent manager they will stay. (Four years in Bangkok and no leavers yet ... fingers crossed that it stays that way as I'd not want to lose anyone).

I've worked in over 20 countries and I'm certain that there's good people everywhere - and I realised long ago that racial stereotyping is total BS.

You are totally wrong. From the way you described the labor situation in Thailand, the employers have realized the full potential of their staffs. You also forgot my favorite one: "I am going home today to see my family". "How long have you known you were going home?" "For a month". "Why didn't you tell me a month ago, so I could find someone to work for you?" "Because I am going home today" crazy.gif .

in a similar situation my wife gave the staff 1.000 Baht and told him to go to the temple and don't come back until he found silence inside and knows how to do right in his life.

after 1 week his wife came (he wasn't in the temple, yet) my wife explained her the importance of meditation and knowing the true about life, so to be a good husband.

She than sent him in the temple...after 2 weeks he came back and begged to be allowed to work again....as it is sooo boring in the temple.....he never want to go back....he worked well the next 2 month of fear that his wife (who took all his salary) is sending him back in the temple....

I have the good fortune to manage teams in Thailand, India and Korea .... and I'd struggle to say who works the hardest. Yes, the Thai team seem to do more eating than the others, and the India team has the highest volume, and the Korean team party the hardest ..... but the one consistent factor is that they all work harder and longer hours than our US and UK colleagues and they can match them on professionalism and dedication.

Pick the right people in Thailand and you can have a world class team. And I hope that by supporting them and being a half decent manager they will stay. (Four years in Bangkok and no leavers yet ... fingers crossed that it stays that way as I'd not want to lose anyone).

I've worked in over 20 countries and I'm certain that there's good people everywhere - and I realised long ago that racial stereotyping is total BS.

Maybe in upper positions, but for the usual skilled worker, you need 2 Thais 48 hours for what 1 German can do.

They easily get distracted, don't optimize work on their one to squeeze out time or quality. They just do what they are told to do, but not much improvements on themself.

Of course I mean the average worker. Of course there are exceptional good one and bad one, in Europe an here.

And big differences about which ethnic they are. I see the Chinese and Southern people perform much better than the rest.

(again: in average)

Maybe in upper positions, but for the usual skilled worker, you need 2 Thais 48 hours for what 1 German can do.

They easily get distracted, don't optimize work on their one to squeeze out time or quality. They just do what they are told to do, but not much improvements on themself.

Of course I mean the average worker. Of course there are exceptional good one and bad one, in Europe an here.

And big differences about which ethnic they are. I see the Chinese and Southern people perform much better than the rest.

Yes - in my case they are professional/qualified people .... but for non-skilled - what you say is true of most countries? And in Germany most the manual work seems to be done by the Turkish (on 3 times the pay as in Thailand).

Now, you really uinderstand the Thai labour force!!!!!

Gotta give you a thumbs upclap2.gif

in a similar situation my wife gave the staff 1.000 Baht and told him to go to the temple and don't come back until he found silence inside and knows how to do right in his life.

after 1 week his wife came (he wasn't in the temple, yet) my wife explained her the importance of meditation and knowing the true about life, so to be a good husband.

She than sent him in the temple...after 2 weeks he came back and begged to be allowed to work again....as it is sooo boring in the temple.....he never want to go back....he worked well the next 2 month of fear that his wife (who took all his salary) is sending him back in the temple....

Understood but I hope that you didn't speak to him in English?

IF only their educational minister years and years and years ago made sure each of these pers, ons were completely fluent in Englsih including the IDOMS AND NUANCES which are in every single language on this planet they would have an abundant wealth of opportunities outside of their own country, rather than being locked into to a single geographical boundary of their own country.

Most Thais who speak even better than average English irrespective of low levels of grammar and sentence structure find opportunities outside of Thailand with European and Western companies.

One woman I know is a Sous chef..she works on an international cruze liner and makes about 65,000 Baht per month. When she worked here, the most she could pull down was about 15,000 baht tops, and thats only if the employer decided to pay her rather than cheat her.

English is most certainley the key.

I went with a Thai gal once who could speak English and she had worked as a maid for a family in Singapore. She had to quit there was to much work for her to do.

Things change fast these days due to greater access to information and communication than ever before, providing an abundance of external stimuli that can constantly alter one's thoughts, perceptions, values and goals.

Expecting to work for the same employer for the rest of one's life is as old-fashioned as expecting to be with the same relationship partner (including marital partner) for the rest of one's life.

Not when you have been with them for six years and you are my age and her age.emot-kiss.gif

Yes - in my case they are professional/qualified people .... but for non-skilled - what you say is true of most countries? And in Germany most the manual work seems to be done by the Turkish (on 3 times the pay as in Thailand).

And 5 times the cost of living.

Well I don't mean complete un-skilled. Semi-skilled as well. Like manual lathe operator. Or someone who can operate a CNC lathe....not a professional on it but someone who can do it with "experience".

With all the adds: overtime, commission, bonus they get 20-30.000 per month. But still it needs to hire and fire 10-15 people to get 3 good one.

These work good and reliable and don't get funny ideas. But is it normal that it needs to hire and fire so many people to filter out 3?

Several times in our company a motorbike delivery guy rise to be sales guy or machine operator. Always it works well for 6-12 months and than it gets troublesome. By earning the double/triple from before they spend even more, borrow a lot money, try to cheat the company or just disappear when they can't back....

I never saw something like that in Europe.