Where To Find Thai Stuffed Chicken Wings In Pattaya?

Jingthing

post-37101-0-51773900-1349481630_thumb.j

post-37101-0-90892800-1349481746.jpg

Well, google

Thai fried stuffed chicken wings

and you'll see this is on many Thai menus all over the U.S.

Also often called Angel Wings.

Not only on many menus, but often very popular must order items when they are.

Also lots of recipes and even videos on how to make, but I'd be too lazy to do that.

The wings are deboned. Not so easy.

Sometimes they are stuffed with chicken meat instead of pork and no vermicelli but the versions I've seen in the US all have pork and vermicelli.

Thai name is: Peek Kai Yod Sai

Surely there must be some places in Pattaya, perhaps tourist oriented places that have this dish?

A similar dish I think is made with stuffed SQUID. That I've seen here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

As to where to find them in Pattaya, no idea.

The only times I have seen these is in upmarket restaurants or 5 star hotels.

Have never seen them for sale in run of the mill joints or at local markets.

The price precludes most people from eating them.

Yes, it is not a street restaurant dish but I don't think it would need to be a fancy hotel either. The squid version I have seen at food court on Pattaya Klang.

Now I am feeling curious about the food history of this Angel wings dish. How come this dish that is so known and common in the USA is so hard to find here? It's starting to feel that some smart Thai people figured out that Americans love chicken wings and deep fried stuff, so let's do them up Thai. Is it more of a Royal cuisine dish here?

Edited by Jingthing

Most likely an american dish no? Never seen it here myself although have seen the squid versions in a lot of places.

Also cant imagine thais deboning chicken wings. Looks nice though wouldnt mind trying it myself.

I really don't think it is originally an American dish. I think it is popular in America. I found a link for a place in Singapore offering it, with a Thai chef. Also a place in China offering it, Thai chef. I think it is a fancier dish, yes, but don't understand why more tourist places here don't offer it. People WOULD buy it.

I do remember the first time I saw it at a Thai restaurant in the U.S. At a very well regarded, middle priced, small Thai restaurant in a slummy area in San Francisco in the late 1970's. As soon as they opened, the foodie press was all over it, and it then it became hard to get a table there, and pretty much every table ordered the wings. No doubt press like that inspired American Thai restaurants to get with the program and find a way to debone some wings! That Thai place didn't seem fusion-y at all to me.

Edited by Jingthing

Also cant imagine thais deboning chicken wings. Looks nice though wouldnt mind trying it myself.

....or eating them, 'er indoors reckons the gristly bits are the tastiest, and she'd be lost without some shards of bone to spit on the plate.

Edited by Upnotover

Hmm. Interestingly wiki (yes I know not always reliable) suggests stuffed chicken wings are a part of a typical Thai family meal!

The Thai for pik kai sot sai thot:

ปีกไก่สอดไส้ทอด

A Thai family meal will normally consist of rice with several dishes which form a harmonious contrast of ingredients and preparation methods. The dishes, also soups, are all served at the same time.[22][23] A meal at a restaurant for four people could, for instance, consist of fish in dry red curry (chuchi pla), a spicy green papaya salad with dried prawns, tomatoes, yardlong beans and peanuts (som tam thai), deep fried stuffed chicken wings (pik kai sot sai thot), a salad of grilled beef, shallots and celery or mint (yam nuea yang), spicy stir fried century eggs with crispy-fried holy basil (khai yiao ma phat kraphao krop), and a non-spicy vegetable soup with tofu and seaweed (tom chuet taohu kap sarai) to temper it all.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Thai_cuisine Edited by Jingthing

^^^^^^ JT, I have never, repeat never seen this dish served up in any Thai house I have visited or eaten in.

The last time I saw this dish was as part of a buffet at the Siam Bayshore, its not even on the menu in a lot of places.

Personally the mrs and I prefer buffalo wings.

The stuffed squid is to be found all over.

The problem with a lot of this style of ahan boran, old fashioned style of cooking, people dont have the time to make it these days, its a dying artform, heck many Thais cant cook these days, hence brands like Aroy D are so popular.

Most Thais buy food on the way home to eat at home, or eat in Thai style places where this isnt on the menu.

Yes I know it's not on the menu in a lot of places.

What I'd like to know here is where exactly IS it on the menu in the Pattaya area.

I simply cannot believe that there is no restaurant in this big city that doesn't offer this dish.

I also agree that it wouldn't be an everyday Thai home family dish, especially in this age of convenience.

Edited by Jingthing

You remind me of this yummy dish, it used to be a simple food long time ago. I think I hadn't ate this for more than 10 years. Nowadays it's not very easy to find. This is the closest to Pattaya I found with google not original recipe, he stuffed chicken wing with crab meats, mushroom etc. look delicious, see photo on comment 15th.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/topic/E10216893/E10216893.html

Lung Song ลุงส่ง, located on the way to Wat Yannasang Wararam

Put this no. 12.802073270831, 100.94083576104 in google maps search box.

If you use thai keyword to search and found the address at Na Kruea, it was old location, it was moved few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never seen this dish offered anywhere in Thailand in my 35 years here. I remember first seeing it at Thai restaurants in the SFO area, maybe even at the one JT refers to (long-gone Racha Cafe?).

I used to think that it may have been the creation of some unnamed Thai cook in the Bay Area which spread to other Thai restos in America.

A Thai-language Google search turns up a few recipes, even a phanaeng curry version, but none of them quite resembles the one described by the OP.

Strange to me that Wikipedia entry on Thai cuisine lists the dish as typical. It isn't and never was as far as I can tell from reading old Thai cookbooks.

I had a flash today that perhaps it originated in Vietnamese cuisine. A Google search for 'Vietnamese stuffed chicken wings' comes up with many recipes, with the beanthread noodles. So perhaps that's where it came from.

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have never seen this dish offered anywhere in Thailand in my 35 years here. I remember first seeing it at Thai restaurants in the SFO area, maybe even at the one JT refers to (long-gone Racha Cafe?).

I used to think - Wiki notwithstanding - that it may have been the creation of some unnamed Thai cook in the Bay Area which spread to other Thai restos in America.

A Thai-language Google search turns up a few recipes, but none of them quite resemble the one described in the OP.

This is really funny. I used to eat at the (old) Racha Cafe very often and never noticed or had the stuffed chicken wings there. They did have a squid and chile paste dish with bamboo shoots that was beyond belief good and have never had a squid dish in Thailand that good.

The place I first saw the stuffed chicken dish, and it did make a splash was in the Lower Haight. I totally do see that the dish was such a hit that Thai restaurants in the U.S. started doing it a lot, because people both demanded it and it was good business. Similar to the Thai iced milk tea thing. It is Thai but in the U.S. it's typical to see the majority of tables drinking it.

BTW, my memory messed up about when I first saw the dish. It wasn't the late 1970's. It was 1986 when Thep Phanom opened.

Edited by Jingthing

There was a Thai restaurant on University Ave in Berkeley in the early 80s that had the dish, and it was super popular there. I can't remember the name but it was the place to eat Thai in Berkeley for a long time.

I first ate at Racha Cafe in early 1977, to acquaint myself with Thai food right before taking a job in Bangkok in March 77. It was the only Thai restaurant in the city then, incredible as that might sound today.

There was a small Thai diner on San Pablo Ave in Oakland, but close to the Berkeley line, where I used to eat frequently in the late 70s and early 80s. Pretty good, and cheap. I think it was called Siam Cafe.

Berkeley had no Thai restaurant until 1979 when SIam Cuisine opened on University Ave. I was there opening night, and it was mobbed, with a line down the street.

Berkeley's second Thai restaurant opened in 1980 (I think), closer to campus on the same street - wish I could remember the restaurant's name. I had dinner with Sulak Sivaraksa there that year, the first time I met him. It was more authentic than Siam Cuisine, and was where Thais themselves would eat.

Right around that same time a third place opened on North Shattuck called Thai BBQ. It was owned and operated by a former Thai beauty queen and Thais passing through Berkeley would stop to catch a glimpse. It didn't last very long. Cha-am followed suit and for awhile was known as a the local Thai CIA recruiter's favourite. smile.png By the mid 80s Thai restos started opening up all over the place.

Sorry for veering so far off topic .... back to Pattaya. Never seen beanthread nootdle-stuffed chicken wings there or in Bkk.

Considering the amount of handling involved & possible cross contamination if pork or seafood was included I would be worried about ordering this dish in a Thai (streetside) restaurant , a 5* place should be OK.

Most Thai cooks don't seem to have any idea about best Food Safe practice.

I used to wait tables at one of Keo's restaurants in Honolulu, and the stuffed chicken wings were a big seller. I liked them a lot, as well!

I've eaten there. You'd remember me. I'm a lousy tipper. cheesy.gif

Anyway, so you know what I mean. In the U.S, they are a really hot dish at Thai restaurants. What is it? Thai restaurants here don't like to make more money?

BTW, the dish doesn't appear to be on the Cabbages and Condoms menu, but they do have a number of appetizers you don't see most places.

This sounds a bit similar. I think I've had it in Bangkok.

ถุงทอง Thung Thong

120.-

(Deep-fried chicken, and black mushroom in flour bags)

http://www.pda.or.th/restaurant/file_pdf/menu_restaurant.pdf

Edited by Jingthing

JT, here's my own Angel's Wings and the recipe - Not too difficult to prepare :-) Enjoy!!

Angel’s Wings (Peek Gai Yad Sai)

Stuffed Chicken Wings

Makes: 2 stuffed chicken wings

50 gr. Ground pork

50 gr. Ground shrimp

¼ cup glass noodle, cut 2 cm in length

¼ cup Chinese ear mushroom (or Shitake mushroom), sliced

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 coriander root, chopped

1 tsp white pepper powder

1 tbs soy sauce

1 tsp sugar

2 Chicken wings, bone removed

1 cup breadcrumb

1 egg

2 cup oil for deep frying

¼ cup dipping sauce

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl mix all first 9 ingredients
  2. Stuff chicken wings with the above mixture – not to overstuffed
  3. Use tooth pick to seal the open end preventing mixture to ooze out
  4. Steam stuffed chicken wings in a steamer until cooks
  5. In a flat bowl, mix the egg with fork
  6. Dip chicken wings in egg and coat with bread crumbs
  7. Deep fry chicken wings until golden brown
  8. Dry on paper towels, then transfer to a plate
  9. Serve hot with dipping sauce

post-47610-0-89427400-1352344709_thumb.j

Maybe an email to the food critics that write for the various local newspapers or magazines would help with your search...

In my view, there are no food critics in Pattaya. Only shills.

I vote JT as the only decent pattaya food critic.

Never mind bloody chicken. I'm up to the back teeth with it. Where can I buy something really sustaining such as whitebait off the bone, or gannet on a stick. I can't find anywhere where they serve albatross, with wafers, of course.