Officials Face Ban On Eating Raw Fish

Lite Beer

Officials face ban on eating raw fish

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Public Health deputy minister Surawit Khonsomboon yesterday backed the idea of prohibiting state officials from eating raw fish and raw fermented fish, saying they would face a disciplinary punishment for doing this.

Surawit, who was checking Nong Bua Lampu's campaign against Opisthorchiasis and Cholangiocarcinoma, praised the provincial policy to implement this food ban.

Local officials have asked 600 somtam shops to serve only cooked fermented fish and have banned officials from eating raw fish - or they would face punishment. This was done to set a good example to the public.

Authorities urged people to stop eating raw fish and raw fermented fish, but Surawit said people weren't scared of Opisthorchiasis as they could take medicine to kill the parasite. But taking such pills too many times could cause Cholangio-carcinoma, he said.

Each year 10,000 Isaan people die from Cholangiocarcinoma, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-07

Is this from a particular type of fish? That will kill the Japanese restaurants (not that issan has many :) 10K is a lot of people to die from the disease in one province!

Edit, a quick search showed that about 2500 cases of this 'rare' cancer are diagnosed in the USA each year and there is only a 30% chance of making it past 5 years from that point, less if it is not detected very early on. 10 000 per year in a country with a 5th the population is really high. I guess extreme measures seem to be needed to stop it.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Is this from a particular type of fish? That will kill the Japanese restaurants (not that issan has many :) 10K is a lot of people to die from the disease in one province!

I have seen it here in Udon. They take small minnows, put them in some kind of a solution in a large jar and let it ferment for a few weeks. When done it has an absolute putrid odor. I have baned it from my house just because of the terrible smell.

Is this from a particular type of fish? That will kill the Japanese restaurants (not that issan has many smile.png 10K is a lot of people to die from the disease in one province!

Since when is Isaan just one province ?

My bad, it's early, no specs no coffee :)

seems this stuff is really bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opisthorchiasis

Pimay1 you are right to ban it for more reasons than the smell !

Is this from a particular type of fish? That will kill the Japanese restaurants (not that issan has many smile.png 10K is a lot of people to die from the disease in one province!

I have seen it here in Udon. They take small minnows, put them in some kind of a solution in a large jar and let it ferment for a few weeks. When done it has an absolute putrid odor. I have baned it from my house just because of the terrible smell.

I'd never heard of this disease/issue before, I'm assuming they don't use any curing salt & they are brined in their own liquid ?

Don't blame you for the ban.

"This was done to set a good example to the public".

Maybe there should be rules for shooting people and getting drunk in parliament as well. Oh, and no using your cellphone when leading a funeral ceremony for royalty as well ! Oh and the Burberry debacle. Oh and the constant lying. Oh and the stealing as well. No shady business deals at fancy hotels involving your real estate developers. A rule for fleeing your convictions and jail terms. Oh and toilets you can sit on, this is a very good rule! And, oh hell, is there a rule book? No pink Bentleys to effeminate pm's! Don"t sell monastery land to rich land developers to screw over monks and make a personal fortune. If only a book to tell people these rules and people to enforce these rules. Oh, and yes, dont eat the rotten fish.

Wow, didn't you sleep well last night? ;)

• Like 2

Maybe there should be rules for shooting people and getting drunk in parliament as well. Oh, and no using your cellphone when leading a funeral ceremony for royalty as well ! Oh and the Burberry debacle. Oh and the constant lying. Oh and the stealing as well. No shady business deals at fancy hotels involving your real estate developers. A rule for fleeing your convictions and jail terms. Oh and toilets you can sit on, this is a very good rule! And, oh hell, is there a rule book? No pink Bentleys to effeminate pm's! Don"t sell monastery land to rich land developers to screw over monks and make a personal fortune. If only a book to tell people these rules and people to enforce these rules. Oh, and yes, dont eat the rotten fish.

Well the post is actually about setting a good example for the population by punishing the officials who eat raw fish.

It says nothing about officials setting a good example for the population by punishing those who do all the things you mentioned. That's different they might cut off the supply of money in their closet.wai.gif

edit

No I did not sleep well last night.

Edited by hellodolly

Wow, didn't you sleep well last night? wink.png

I think it was the cheese.
  • Like 1

Wow, didn't you sleep well last night? wink.png

I think it was the cheese.

shhhh. smelly food, they're on the war path.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Since when is Isaan just one province ?

My bad, it's early, no specs no coffee smile.png

seems this stuff is really bad

http://en.wikipedia....Opisthorchiasis

Pimay1 you are right to ban it for more reasons than the smell !

Thanks for the link. This is bad stuff. I just read the information from Wikipedia to my gf for her reaction. No suprise though. She said "the Esaan people have eaten this all their life and they like it just like raw beef and raw pork. They will not stop no matter what the people in Bangkok say". So I told her never mind she's right just go to Big C and buy me another case of Leo.

• Like 2

They would do well to ban the fermented crabs in the som tom as well. But maybe this is included under fish.

Raw pork is another killer here, but it shows up at village weddings all the time.

Well there is a law against murder but its flouted all the time.

I am just curious what law they enacted to ban this. They should let bangkok know they have worked out how to pass unenforceable and petty bans even better than bangkok.

I think they're talking about liver fluke, nasty little beggers that have multiple hosts; water snails, fish and then you. They can also be caught from not rinsing water cress properly or drinking unfiltered water from a stream/well.

is the offending fish dish made with a river fish or sea fish? Anyone any info.

Ok I got the scoop on how to make this Pala (Esaan Padat) from the gf.

1. Fish supply is rice paddy, canal, or anywhere you can find them.

2. Place the fish (minnows) in a large jug.

3. Pour salt into the jug at the ratio of three parts fish to one part salt. i.e three kilo fish, one kilo salt. No water or anything else goes into the mix. Only fish and salt.The decaying fish produce the liquid.

4. Let set for three months (can be two). But if let set for one year it is really, really good.

5. Fish can be eaten with sticky rice.

6. The juice from the jug is mixed in many Esaan foods to enhance the flavor and also makes the food very salty which Esaan people like.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

3. Pour salt into the jug at the ratio of three parts fish to one part salt. i.e three kilo fish, one kilo salt. No water or anything else goes into the mix. Only fish and salt.The decaying fish produce the liquid.

4. Let set for three months (can be two). But if let set for one year it is really, really good.

6. The juice from the jug is mixed in many Esaan foods to enhance the flavor and also makes the food very salty which Esaan people like.

Sounds like anchiovies the salt should brine accordingly ? and be safe ?

Mmmmm

On second thoughts maybe a bowl of cereal will suffice this morning. sick.gif

• Like 1

Sounds like anchiovies the salt should brine accordingly ? and be safe ?

The parasite survives. Why they don't cook it first for safety is just stubbornness.

My girlfriend's father likes raw beef, but he cannot eat it, as it now makes him sick. I told my GF that I will not eat any form of raw meat/flesh. If it isn't cooked I do not want it.

Another problem is that here in Thailand it is almost impossible to get a properly cooked hamburger. Most places will serve it very rare, even when you tell them 'very well done'. Just because Thais seem to like their meats raw or rare, they do not seem to understand that many westerners prefer it to be properly cooked.

Mmmmm

On second thoughts maybe a bowl of cereal will suffice this morning. sick.gif

After reading that recipe never going to complain about eating "All bran" ever again..laugh.png

Forgetting all the posts on the recipes, the crux of this is still the mountainous amounts of accumulating laws, being introduced, none of which ever seem to be enforceable! So why not let the populace take part in what ever takes their fancy, and let the culling by nature takes it's toll. No different to smokers - sure it kills them, who gives a dam_n? Their choice.

But leading by example from the ministers and officials ? - steal, cheat lie, murder, ... oh never mind.

This is that gah pik or nampik gahpik (don't know spelling. This putrid smelling mixture of fermented fish. Thais love it. Like the way Thais eat - they drown everything in some sort of sauce usually with a fish sauce base. This fermented fish paste is often mixed with rice. It stinks to high heaven like worse than a bad toilet. Mind boggling as to how Thais would love something as foul smelling. There are Thais who don't like this but few and far between.

My girlfriend's father likes raw beef, but he cannot eat it, as it now makes him sick. I told my GF that I will not eat any form of raw meat/flesh. If it isn't cooked I do not want it.

Another problem is that here in Thailand it is almost impossible to get a properly cooked hamburger. Most places will serve it very rare, even when you tell them 'very well done'. Just because Thais seem to like their meats raw or rare, they do not seem to understand that many westerners prefer it to be properly cooked.

very well done hamburgers . . . try mcdonalds