Foreigners Warned Of Saturday's Anti-Thaksin rally

george

Foreigners warned about Saturday's Anti-Thaksin demonstration

The U.S. Embassy in Thailand on Thursday warned American citizens to stay away from an anti-government rally planned Saturday in Bangkok for fear of violence.

Public Announcement from U.S. Embassy Bangkok

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:34:52 +0700[/b]

Attention American Citizens:

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) authorities have confirmed that a

large demonstration is expected to occur in the area of the King Rama 5

statue, Rajdamneon Avenue, near Sanam Luang and Government House in

Bangkok on Saturday, February 4. Police estimate up to 100,000 people

will gather in an anti-Thai Prime Minister Thaksin demonstration headed

by Sonthi Limthongkul, a prominent Thai government critic. The crowd

will include several diverse groups of demonstrators and is expected to

start assembling in the morning with no announced starting or ending

times. Organizers have not indicated a marching route, should they

leave the area.

Bangkok demonstrations are usually peaceful in nature, but all

demonstrations are unpredictable and conditions can change unexpectedly.

The RTP has indicated that 2,000 - 3,000 police officers will be on hand

to maintain public order. There are concerns that anti-Sonthi groups

may attempt to confront the demonstrators, which could lead to violence.

For this reason, please do not approach the demonstrators.

The Embassy encourages all Americans to avoid this area. Should you

find yourself in or near the demonstrators, move indoors for shelter

until the demonstration has passed, or ask for police assistance to

leave the area. While the demonstration is not expected to pass near

U.S. Embassy facilities, Embassy entrances and functions may be

restricted depending on circumstances.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling

abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular

Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current

Worldwide Caution, Public Announcements, and Travel Warnings can be

found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by

calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside

the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328. These

numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday

through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

--US Embassy, Bangkok, 2006-02-02

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Anyone seen if other embassies are issuing warnings?

Me - I just wish I could get down for it, but am stuck in Chiangers this weekend with visitors from afar.

The Austrian Embassy is normaly at Patpong drinking. I think they know that Taksin is premier, but I have my doubts if they know Sonthi.

So sure there is no warning till tanks are in Patpong or at least the gogo bars are closed...

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Me - I just wish I could get down for it, but am stuck in Chiangers this weekend with visitors from afar.

From what I can gather from the Newspapers this has DEFINATLEY got all the signs of flaring up into a confrontation

Forecasters are saying it could turn into another bloodbath like '73

Lets keep everything crossed and pray that it does not

Best we just all steer clear (whatever Nationality we are) and be on the safe side. My Wife and I will be in BK this weekend, but knowhere near that particular area!

This is a Warden's Notice from the US Embassy to US citizens in BKK.

Perhaps that is why it addresses concern for US citizens???

What is your embassy saying? :o

NZ Embassy says go buy some beers. Being the kind understanding people we are, this is not a problem.

Not foreigners warned, but Americans :-)

This is a Warden's Notice from the US Embassy to US citizens in BKK.

Perhaps that is why it addresses concern for US citizens???

What is your embassy saying? :o

Nothing!...therefore my reply.

I cant even say they are with the Austrians, because they dont even know what Patpong is. They are still trying to figure out why they don’t see this Chuan Lekpai guy on TV anymore. And what happened to Carlsberg beers.

(Edited Australians to Austrians...maybe they are with the Australians :-)

Edited by Oishi

Oh give me a break. The sky is falling!!!! This has nothing to do with post "State of the Nation' jitters or AQ or JI or anything else your mind may conjur up. It has everything to do with a potential blood bath in the streets of Bangkok. Such demonstrations are RARELY peaceful, contrary to the news story. The US Embassy apparently wants to warn its citizens in the Kingdom to stay clear - wisely too I would think - lest they become victims in the violence. Ask some people what it was like in 73... in 92. Why other embassies have not come out to warn their citizens is beyond me, but regardless my nationality I will heed the warning. Do you really think Toxin will stand by 'peacefully?'

Edited by Flysiam

There is too much gong on now for the PM. For a while he was on the run, and then the fire faded. Hence lack of crackdowns for a while, or at least the ones sent to my email. So the fire is on again and all bets are off. It could go any way and it sounds like a great time to find other things to do. I would bet that the PM is busy trying to CYOA on this one. Seeing if the military is moving south from up on Samsen would give a clue as to what muscle is planned on being used. Does anyone know if orders were issued in the military on this one? That would be a sure bet of blood.

... The Dutch just say ... "Stop drinking the local Beers, better take a Heinie ... " :o

What does that mean ? I think it's bullocks. Propaganda against a war they themselves started and as they are losing, these 'Ami-patriots' gonna try to find any ally, even the folks who live in other country's. Stupid people will always be there and maybe a (Muslim) fool will try to spoil the party; do not put it on the average Muslim and let the Americans scream 'Blood-and-Murder' :D .

THAIS all voted for him-- didn't they?

There is too much gong on now for the PM. For a while he was on the run, and then the fire faded. Hence lack of crackdowns for a while, or at least the ones sent to my email. So the fire is on again and all bets are off. It could go any way and it sounds like a great time to find other things to do. I would bet that the PM is busy trying to CYOA on this one. Seeing if the military is moving south from up on Samsen would give a clue as to what muscle is planned on being used. Does anyone know if orders were issued in the military on this one? That would be a sure bet of blood.

There was a bit in the Bangkok Post recently to the effect that the army general in charge of this part of the country was quoted. He said, in effect, that the army didn't trust the police to maintain order and that the army would be on stand-by to step in if necessary.

Frankly, that scared me. If the army does move, you can be pretty sure that the '73 and '92 confrontations will be repeated. Don't be surprised to see more shooting and to have armed soldiers roaming the streets.

It would be a good day to spend quietly at home.

What happened in '73? 92?

protests can be peaceful, ya know?? Perhaps I am naive; but, are people suggesting there will be a crackdown on the crackdown protest?

Student anti-government demonstrations were supressed by the army. In both years, the soldiers open fire on the demonstrators. I am not a student of Thai history and don't know the details but I do know that many civilians (mostly students) were killed and wounded.

The Thai army is sufficiently independent of government control that it could happen again.

protests can be peaceful, ya know?? Perhaps I am naive; but, are people suggesting there will be a crackdown on the crackdown protest?

Student anti-government demonstrations were supressed by the army. In both years, the soldiers open fire on the demonstrators. I am not a student of Thai history and don't know the details but I do know that many civilians (mostly students) were killed and wounded.

The Thai army is sufficiently independent of government control that it could happen again.

Did you know the Americans also shoot theur students ? ...

Kent State, May 4, 1970

Oh give me a break. The sky is falling!!!! This has nothing to do with post "State of the Nation' jitters or AQ or JI or anything else your mind may conjur up. It has everything to do with a potential blood bath in the streets of Bangkok. Such demonstrations are RARELY peaceful, contrary to the news story. The US Embassy apparently wants to warn its citizens in the Kingdom to stay clear - wisely too I would think - lest they become victims in the violence. Ask some people what it was like in 73... in 92. Why other embassies have not come out to warn their citizens is beyond me, but regardless my nationality I will heed the warning. Do you really think Toxin will stand by 'peacefully?'

a bit of "tomato sauce" on the ground is good for any developing theocracy (a theoretical democracy crossed with hypocracy)

Will get some good comments out of the imcumbents for sure!!!!

Rob

Edited by lecter

If there are any farang out there who are thinking on these lines and also believe it will be peaceful

Beware and i would like to offer some simple advice.

Stay indoors or get out of Bangkok for the day, and lie low until after the " peaceful protest has ended. "

In 92 all foreigners where confined to there hotels due to the anticipated trouble that would happen.

Not from the peaceful demonstrators but the Thai Authorities

It was a terrifiying place to be and violent chaos for the innocents.

This is neither America or Europe and if you believe you will be safe among what could ensue you haven,t been in Thailand long enough.

Plan for a day indoors and anything you need to do get it out of the way either before or after.

I took a smuggled a video out of the country that was taken from the hotel window, showing the reality of what happened.

None of my friends could believe what was filmed and thought it wasn,t possible as

" Thailand is a democratic country. "

Not my observation but theirs and it was frightening stuff beleive me.

So take on board all advice offered on this topic similar to the above and pass the word around to others please.

Better safe than sorry.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags