Best Uk Vpn Provider?

Morakot

What is your experience with VPN account providers for UK IPs from Thailand?

• What quality do you experience for what media type (eg BBC Iplayer livestream or download content)?
  • What access mode do you use (eg openvpn, pptp)?
  • What is your local ISP?

I have tried this one: hideipvpn.com and had not much joy with their UK package. Too slow for the Iplayer (even in download mode) in both openvpn and pptp modes; browsing web pages like news.bbc.co.uk was possible though. One month subscription: $5.99.

Edited by Morakot

I think it really depends how fortunate you are with your ISP in Thailand. I have tried many many different methods and none of them will work properly because I cant get a fast enough connection established.

It drives me insane watching 10 seconds then wait 20 then watch then wait and so on. I just gave up in the end.

Some have suggested downloading stuff over night etc but to be honest that doesnt work for me either.

I just buy DVD's now and get full series etc when down in Bkk.

Edited by CharlieH

Hi Maracot, I use Unblock-us its a Canadian company (Google it)works perfectly with

BBC iPlayer,ITV Player, and other British players,also works with USA sites,NZ,OZ,

Ireland,easy to install,they give 1 week free trial,and it cost 4.99C dollar per month

cheaper if you buy 12 months.

Been using it for nearly 2 years now ,no problem.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks for the replies!

Unblock-us looks very interesting, with its DNS way instead of a VPN. I've tested it now on their 7 day trail and can see that the problem is partially with my ISP (TOT). I can view BBC SD streams on demand and the buffering is relatively low, but still not a proper viewing experience. HD streams are virtually impossible. So it looks like downloading is still the best choice.

Edited by Morakot

I tried Expat Shield to watch some of the Olympics on BBC iplayer; my local ISP is True, I'm on the basic 7Mbps package, Expat Shield is just free VPN software but a paid-for option exists which I didn't try. I didn't stream anything live, I just downloaded the iplayer desktop and then downloaded the programs I wanted to watch. This worked for about a week and then didn't work any more, which was strange.

I think it really depends how fortunate you are with your ISP in Thailand. I have tried many many different methods and none of them will work properly because I cant get a fast enough connection established.

It drives me insane watching 10 seconds then wait 20 then watch then wait and so on. I just gave up in the end.

Some have suggested downloading stuff over night etc but to be honest that doesnt work for me either.

I just buy DVD's now and get full series etc when down in Bkk.

Buy Replay Media Catcher, it's well worth it.

Hi Maracot, I use Unblock-us its a Canadian company (Google it)works perfectly with

BBC iPlayer,ITV Player, and other British players

I have found that if using True Online then Unblock-us doesn't work at all with BBC iPlayer but can run ITV player. Anyone know why BBC won't work but ITV does when using True as an ISP? I don't have any of these problems with 3BB.

With TOT I used ExpatShield successfully for about 6months to exclusively access BBC iPlayer. I would download several programmes every night including many in HD

It worked fine, then one day I was unable to access iPlayer, all my downloaded programmes vanished and I haven't been able to access it since, despite uninstalling and re-installing both iPlayer and Adobe Air several times.

I now get content from YouTube using YouTube Downloader.