Convert Initial 6-Month Lease To A Month-To-Month Lease?

heatwaving

If this is not the correct forum to raise this question, just point me to the right place. But I'm wondering if it's common, or possible even, to have a month-to-month lease after you finish your initial 6-month lease agreement in Bangkok.

I'm renting a small, family-owned condo in Sathorn, and I have a couple months left on my initial 6-month lease. I'd like to just be able to pay month to month after the 6-months so I have some flexibility as to when I give notice to the landlord.

Is this something I'm likely to be able to work out with my landlord? not likely? never happens?

Thanks for any feedback.

Sure, it all basically comes down to the owner/landlord and how he/she is. We did it when we rented a property in Bangkok, although we did sign a contract for 2 years and wanted to stay for 2 and a half months after that. The owner didnt have any problem with it and said that we could stay basically as long as we wanted on a monthly term and just to let him know when we were moving out so that he could sort out the balance on the deposit we had given him. So, yes, its no problem, just comes down to the landlord/owner and pretty much your relationship with him/her over the term of your tenancy.

Sure, it all basically comes down to the owner/landlord and how he/she is. We did it when we rented a property in Bangkok, although we did sign a contract for 2 years and wanted to stay for 2 and a half months after that. The owner didnt have any problem with it and said that we could stay basically as long as we wanted on a monthly term and just to let him know when we were moving out so that he could sort out the balance on the deposit we had given him. So, yes, its no problem, just comes down to the landlord/owner and pretty much your relationship with him/her over the term of your tenancy.

I agree, i tried this once but didn' t succeed and moved out. If your relation with the landlord is good and you 'behaved' :-) during your contract period you have an advantage discussing your future contract IFYKWIM.

It is certainly possible, I am doing it (month to month after a longer-term contract) right now. The most important thing to be clear about IMO if your landlord agrees to go month to month, is the terms for terminating your lease. For example, if you're going month to month, do they want you to give 30 days notice before moving out? More, less, etc?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm curious what the legal situation is if the matter is not discussed.

Where I'm from (multiple US states), if the lease expires and nobody says anything, the law understands that both parties have impliedly agreed to extend the lease on a month-to-month basis.

Does anybody know what Thai law says on the matter?