Sim Card Mysteriously Erased!

At sometime over the last couple of days, my SIM became completely erased! Has this happened to anyone. I have an OPPO R815 smartphone that I've had for about 2 weeks. And, no, I don't have a girlfriend who would do it. No one has touched my phone. And there's too many buttons to have to select to have this had done accidentally (like by being in my pocket).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

How sure are you it's been erased? It's possible that "show sim contacts" has been accidentally unchecked from your options (software update to whatever contact manager you use perhaps?)

Try hitting the "settings" button in your contact manager to make sure...

A sim card's just an electronic chip so yes it's possible it's gone faulty - but highly unlikely in my experience.

Personally, I never store contacts on the sim card - now that they sync with gmail account there's no need, thank God. I shudder to remember the days of faffing around trying to sync phonebooks between Outlook, Nokias, Blackberry etc... Eugh...

SIM card. I've had the same one for about 7 years. Do they wear out? Could a magnet somewhere/somehow caused this?

I still have a sim from 1999 that works.

Magnet, no. But do they wear out? Not impossible, but unlikely unless you insert and remove it from your phone very frequently. Another possible cause of damage would be to insert/remove it with the phone ON (impossible on many phones but possible on some).

Have you tried popping the sim in a bog standard, $10 phone and checking the phonebook? That would at least confirm 100% that it's the card and not a setting in your smartphone that's gone nuts...

I once dropped my phone and it came apart. When I put it back together and switched on all seemed fine till I tried to make a call from the address book. It was empty yet all my numbers were stored on my Sim. After the initial panic a friend took my phone, went into the settings and simply set the phone to use the Sim card as default and not the phone as it had gone back to the factory settings.