Tony's Gym Oct 12 Promotion

toenail

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your buddy is wrong. It's not really much of a gym and it is without air conditioning, so good luck training hard in there. If you're one of those people who judge their workouts by how much they sweat, you're going to love it, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just another Tony's pretend gym.

You've got 2 days left. I would suggest you go in there and have some casual workouts for 90 baht before you sign up. Bring plenty of water.

Anyone know if its for both of the gyms on Bukhao ?

The 'older' one is fairly basic, open to the road and hot, but it is available 24 hrs and has a few decent machines. I used it for a year in the early mornings and evenings and at < 9000 baht I would say thats a fair deal.

Its not a patch on CaWOW and a number of other gyms in Pattaya, but I have quite a few happy memories of working out there - I might go back.

Bukhao only and that is stated on their leaflets.I asked at the main branch of Tony's and they confirmed it.

Thanks; the reason for my post was to point out that there are 2 gyms on Soi Bukhao and I wondered if the deal included both: the old one and the new Sport World (or whatever it is called).

I have used the new Soi buakhow gym, yes no air con, but there are a suffice number of power fans, it's not that hot in there. The windows are open as well which brings in a breeze.

LOL "not that hot in there". What do you consider hot? Right now on an overcast day the ambient room temperature (if no sun is beaming down on the roof) would be around 29C at humidity of 90%. That what is is in my "cool" apartment right now as I'm typing this. It may go down 1 degree overnight.

That's hot! ... just not as hot as it will be on a sunny day... but the high humidity makes it even worse to train in than on a hotter, drier day.

Thanks for the info. I have to have AC to "energize" myself while working out or I am already tired. I already belong to one gym (expensive) but thought it would be a nice change to go to another one and alternate like I did with CA WOW.

• 2 months later...

I have used the new Soi buakhow gym, yes no air con, but there are a suffice number of power fans, it's not that hot in there. The windows are open as well which brings in a breeze.

LOL "not that hot in there". What do you consider hot? Right now on an overcast day the ambient room temperature (if no sun is beaming down on the roof) would be around 29C at humidity of 90%. That what is is in my "cool" apartment right now as I'm typing this. It may go down 1 degree overnight.

That's hot! ... just not as hot as it will be on a sunny day... but the high humidity makes it even worse to train in than on a hotter, drier day.

Most people go to gyms to work up a sweat...makes one feel good and refreshed (after a shower at the end). If I want to freeze my buns off, I'll go see a movie.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Most people go to gyms to work up a sweat...makes one feel good and refreshed (after a shower at the end). If I want to freeze my buns off, I'll go see a movie.

When a gym becomes a sauna it isnt much fun to work out. YMMV

No, most people go to gyms to get stronger, fitter and improve their physique.

It's difficult to achieve any of these if the room temperature is too hot.

Working up a sweat does not mean a hard workout, i prefer a gym that is not too hot. I can do much more and work harder. I think most people who know anything about working out will concur. If sweating was so good, then all those people going to a sauna would be doing the best there is.

• Like 1

I agree that it's pointless to argue when it's simply a matter of preference. It's true that performance diminishes in high temperature and high humidity however it doesn't mean you can't work hard. Personally, I don't like gyms with aircon because after doing cardio I'm drenched with sweat and it can be a little cool during the rest phase between sets. Aircon is certainly not what would make a gym good or bad for me. I'm far more concerned with the equipment, space and availability. Best suggestion is to try first before committing to a long term membership and then decide if it works for you.

Crikey you people can argue about pointless stuff, yet fail to answer a reasonable question.

Actually temperature is a very important point when you're discussing Tony's gyms.

The Soi 16 Gym equipment was moved to the Tony's Entertainment complex where he set up another pretend gym. Most of the equipment will be there but some has been sent to other gyms.

I agree that it's pointless to argue when it's simply a matter of preference. It's true that performance diminishes in high temperature and high humidity however it doesn't mean you can't work hard. Personally, I don't like gyms with aircon because after doing cardio I'm drenched with sweat and it can be a little cool during the rest phase between sets. Aircon is certainly not what would make a gym good or bad for me. I'm far more concerned with the equipment, space and availability. Best suggestion is to try first before committing to a long term membership and then decide if it works for you.

LOL. Yeah, you can pretend you're training hard because you're sweating more.

... but you really contradict yourself because you agreed higher temperatures diminish performance, yet you would prefer to train in an environment which diminishes benefits.

LOL. Yeah, you can pretend you're training hard because you're sweating more.

... but you really contradict yourself because you agreed higher temperatures diminish performance, yet you would prefer to train in an environment which diminishes benefits.

I guess you only equate working hard with a particular number on a machine or on weights. If you work you muscle to exhaustion regardless of how much weight you're lifting or if you are running at an average heart rate of 185 regardless of the speed, you are working just as hard. The benefits will not diminish as long as you stay properly hydrated and your level of intensity doesn't diminish. BTW, you do know there's a difference between performance and intensity right and it has nothing to do with sweating or not.

If you plan to run a marathon in Thailand, you would be very very stupid for example to do all your training in an air conditioned environment. Your body adapts to the environment and you are able to increase your load gradually. There are world champions in many disciplines that train in heat and humidity. One can also argue that it makes you mentally tougher so the small benefits that you might lose by training a little less hard are compensated by an increase in mental toughness.

In any case, as I said. Why argue? Let people make their own decision instead of implying one is better than the other. It's good information to know it's hot and humid, people are intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves. They don't need others to treat them like kids. World champions have made decisions to train in heat and humidity. If it's good for them, it's certainly good for others.

You must be in pretty bad shape.

You obviously havent done any cardio in Tony's gyms.

You are dripping before you even start.

Very hard to keep hydrated properly and train at intensity under those conditions.

• Like 1

Very hard to keep hydrated properly and train at intensity under those conditions.

The guy does not really understand it, if you want your muscles to get bigger or get more stamina then you don't want body temprature to be the limiting factor of the workout. But you want your muscles or stamina to be the limiting factor to train on them and improve. Its quite logical.

I do agree about if you were to train for a marathon or something like that you want to emulate the conditions of the race but most people don't train for that in gyms.

• Like 1

You must be in pretty bad shape.

I'm in good shape. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Having trained in gyms for 36 years in many countries and climates, and training just about every day in Thailand I do know quite a bit about training in heat.

You won't see many guys training harder than I do.

You can just keep on pretending that you're training hard. Why not take it up a notch and wear a plastic suit to sweat even more - I saw a Thai guy doing this in Tony's a few months back.

Edited by tropo

... and this is from a fit guy with a resting heart rate in the low 40's.

• Like 1

Not all ways of working hard are created equal. You might want to work hard the particular muscle you are training. If the temperature is high or there are other things making life difficult for you in general you might be working hard for your whole body, but if that means that you are lifting less weights because of these other problems, you are not working the muscle as hard.

• Like 2

I guess you only equate working hard with a particular number on a machine or on weights. If you work you muscle to exhaustion regardless of how much weight you're lifting or if you are running at an average heart rate of 185 regardless of the speed, you are working just as hard. The benefits will not diminish as long as you stay properly hydrated and your level of intensity doesn't diminish. BTW, you do know there's a difference between performance and intensity right and it has nothing to do with sweating or not.

If you plan to run a marathon in Thailand, you would be very very stupid for example to do all your training in an air conditioned environment. Your body adapts to the environment and you are able to increase your load gradually. There are world champions in many disciplines that train in heat and humidity. One can also argue that it makes you mentally tougher so the small benefits that you might lose by training a little less hard are compensated by an increase in mental toughness.

In any case, as I said. Why argue? Let people make their own decision instead of implying one is better than the other. It's good information to know it's hot and humid, people are intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves. They don't need others to treat them like kids. World champions have made decisions to train in heat and humidity. If it's good for them, it's certainly good for others.

Acclimatizing to an environment is a totally different thing to optimum training. Most professional athletes do not train or compete in 30 C plus temperatures with humidity above 80%. Few world running events are held in the tropics for obvious reasons. If they are held in the tropics most entrants are locals who were born in those conditions.

Strength athletes seldom train in hot conditions. Swimmers never do. The muscular size and body weight influence heat dispersion as well - just as a 4 litre engine will produce more heat than a 2 litre one.

Edited by tropo

Not all ways of working hard are created equal. You might want to work hard the particular muscle you are training. If the temperature is high or there are other things making life difficult for you in general you might be working hard for your whole body, but if that means that you are lifting less weights because of these other problems, you are not working the muscle as hard.

People who do weight training have a fairly good idea about how the environment affects them. We know roughly how many reps and sets we can perform so it is easy to make comparisons.

In Tony's where I train they turn the aircon off at 9pm. Sometimes I get there late and have the "pleasure" of doing part of my workout without aircon. I can still keep up my strength level in the heat, but it comes at a greater effort and I train more slowly. It should be obvious that the body needs to stay cool in order to function efficiently. Yes, you can get used to the heat but you won't achieve the same level of strength or fitness. Cortisol levels rise with the heat so really it's pushing s*it uphill.

Some of you who live in temperate climates all year round may have noticed how your strength and fitness peak in the cooler months. It was always easier for me to gain muscle in the winter.