Karon Roadblock - Eu Driving License Wasn't Enough

modafinil

Got stopped on my bike today at the police checkpoint just outside Karon (on the way to Patong).

I flashed my photocard EU drivers license at them, but they insisted on having a good look and informed me that it wasn't a motorbike license. They had a farang "policeman" in a Colonel Gadaffi-style uniform telling the Thai BIB which licenses weren't legitimate. 500 baht fine with receipt.

Have been stopped there before several times, although not recently - each previous time my driver's license was fine. Would be interesting to hear if other police checkpoints are checking for full bike licenses too.

I'm not seeking attention, derision or pity, but the usual suspects are welcome to make snide personal attacks as per normal. I'm sure there are people here who had full knowledge of this change years ago, and you should feel free to heap scorn on my out-of-date "news". Why not hug yourself with glee at my self-inflicted misfortune too?

Er, yes, anyway, look out for that checkpoint, any info about other checkpoints or catty remarks would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused is it a EU motorcycle license or not ?

No, it's a driver's license - it doesn't give me the right to ride a motorbike in any country. But it used to satisfy the BIB at Karon checkpoint, perhaps because they couldn't tell the difference between bike and car licenses. I have no complaints about the incident. If I have to pay the occasional 500 baht fine because I don't want to take the (extremely easy, takes an entire day) Thai motorbike license test, so be it.

I'm confused is it a EU motorcycle license or not ?

No, it's a driver's license - it doesn't give me the right to ride a motorbike in any country. But it used to satisfy the BIB at Karon checkpoint, perhaps because they couldn't tell the difference between bike and car licenses. I have no complaints about the incident. If I have to pay the occasional 500 baht fine because I don't want to take the (extremely easy, takes an entire day) Thai motorbike license test, so be it.

Thats it then you have the answer rolleyes.gif and of course when you have your accident you will be insured as well !

• Like 1

For the entire 11 years I have lived here now I have always heard of this happening only occasionally. Tourists generally are allowed to drive little rental bikes on a car license. I go through that checkpoint regularly but have had a Thai license for several years now, and a foreign motorcycle license before that. But for the first 2 years here I had just a car drivers license and was never bothered, even once getting a ticket for no helmet.

So my next questions have nothing to do with Thai law but rather how the BIB have traditionally operate.

1) Are you a resident and if so did you give them any indication of that, such as speak Thai. As a resident you obviously need a Thai license, but you also lose that "tourists can ride small rental bikes without hassle on a car license" that they seem to often adhere to.

2) Were you riding a big bike?

EDIT: And Kimera has a good point...if you have an accident it may very well be more of a problem than 500B. It has been often reported that unlicensed or incorrectly licensed drivers are automatically found at fault, although I have not confirmed that.

Edited by NomadJoe

It's a 110cc scooter. I'm a long-stay tourist, and was wearing similar clothes to every other time I've been stopped there. They were stopping every vehicle. There was a big queue of pasty falang tourists next to the police box paying their fines, I saw other (helmeted) people waving their driver's license around, but everyone was getting a ticket.

I had ample opportunity to stop my bike and turn round (it wasn't an essential journey), but of course I did not expect a fine.

I agree that incorrect insurance/licensing could cause me problems down the road - I could get an IDP (international driver's permit) which would cover me legally for another year of scooter riding. Or the Thai license.

A few things come to mind.

Firstly, there is a new police chief in town. Must raise funds.

Secondly, it's a great way to push tourists back into tuk-tuks when no one is using them. Coincidently, earlier today I overheard a young couple handing back their motorbike and asking for a refund for tomorrow because they were fined at the same check-point. He had a UK licence, obviously for a car, not a motorbike.

Thirdly, insurance should be your main concern, not the 500 baht fine - remember, someone could crash into you causing serious injury requiring hospitalisation.

Last, but not least, only in Thailand can you be booked for not having a riders licence by a guy who hasn't got a work permit. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I believe the IDP will only be issued for the vehicle you are licenced for. Eg. UK licence for a car = IDP to drive a car, not car and motorbike. You would also have to be licenced in the UK for motorbikes for the IDP to licence you for both.

Edited by NamKangMan

Some sound advice there NKM.

I was convinced that the IDP that I got back in 2010 for Thailand covered bikes up to a certain engine size (110 or 125) as well as cars, but a little googling doesn't back up my recollection.

Next time I'm gunning it through smile.png

Some sound advice there NKM.

I was convinced that the IDP that I got back in 2010 for Thailand covered bikes up to a certain engine size (110 or 125) as well as cars, but a little googling doesn't back up my recollection.

Next time I'm gunning it through smile.png

In some countries in the region, I believe Vietnam is one of them, you do not need to be licenced for a motorbike that is 50cc or under, so, if you are on a 50cc, and have an accident, whether it be your fault or not, you are PROBABLY still covered by travel insurance because you were not riding the motorbike illegally because the law does not require you to be licenced for such a small engine capacity bike. This is why you see a lot of the local kids on the 50cc bikes - no licence required.

As for "gunning it through" - seriously, 500 baht versus the monkey house and being extorted a huge amount of money for your freedom - just stop and pay the 500 baht.

They hope people "gun it through" so they can catch them and then make them pay 100,000 baht, or more, for their freedom. Just give them the 500 baht. :) :)

It's a 110cc scooter. I'm a long-stay tourist, and was wearing similar clothes to every other time I've been stopped there. They were stopping every vehicle. There was a big queue of pasty falang tourists next to the police box paying their fines, I saw other (helmeted) people waving their driver's license around, but everyone was getting a ticket.

I had ample opportunity to stop my bike and turn round (it wasn't an essential journey), but of course I did not expect a fine.

I agree that incorrect insurance/licensing could cause me problems down the road - I could get an IDP (international driver's permit) which would cover me legally for another year of scooter riding. Or the Thai license.

An IDP won't help you if he is doing you for no motorbike license. IDP's aren't required in Thailand anyway, as evidenced by the fact that you did not get a ticket for not having one.

only in Thailand can you be booked for not having a riders licence by a guy who hasn't got a work permit. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Alai na?

I believe the IDP will only be issued for the vehicle you are licenced for. Eg. UK licence for a car = IDP to drive a car, not car and motorbike. "You would also have to be licenced in the UK for motorbikes for the IDP to licence you for both."

Yes, although to be clear the last sentence I would have phrased "You would also have to be licenced in the UK for both motorbikes and cars for the IDP to licence you for both."

Yes, hitting the throttle would have been pretty stupid in reality.

There were a couple of months where I was riding Karon-Patong frequently, but I'd had my wallet and license stolen. Waiting 30 seconds for a truck or minibus and then riding behind/beside it slowly got me past the checkpoint every time, the BIB pretended not to see me (to save face), and I pretended not to see them. I don't know if that would have worked today though since there were so many BiB around raking in the cash.

If you have an accident most insurance companies will not pay up if your driving license is incorrect. It might not be your fault but you could still be held liable. A child ran in front of a friends car and was killed. He had no valid driving license and he had to cough up 2 million baht to the child's family or go to jail.

I'm sure there are people here who had full knowledge of this change years ago, and you should feel free to heap scorn on my out-of-date "news".
Really no change. To drive a car in Thailand you are required to possess a car license, to ride a motorbike in Thailand you are required to possess a motorbike license. Has been this way already for years and years.

The only change could be that, as far as the BIB are concerned, you may not be able to get away with riding a motorbike with a car license. We'll have to wait and see though if this really is the case or if this was a 1 time occasion.

If you have an accident most insurance companies will not pay up if your driving license is incorrect. It might not be your fault but you could still be held liable. A child ran in front of a friends car and was killed. He had no valid driving license and he had to cough up 2 million baht to the child's family or go to jail.

This is something that concerns me about living here, so, I try to keep my use of a motor vehicle to a minimum.

The Thai's ride around with babies and young kids and the elderly onboard. All it would take is for them to crash into you and the baby, the young kid or old papa or mama dies and you are off to the monkey house and extorted out of a lot of money for your freedom, and that's even if you have a vilid Thai licence. Of course, accidents do happen, and it could be yourself at fault. You are still looking at the same consequences.

That's how quick your financial position, liberty and freedom, and plans for the future can change here.

It has nothing to do with a proper investigation of the accident, with justice prevailing, and everything to do with presenting the opportunity to commit a crime against an innocent, or possibly guilty farang, by way of extorting money out of them.

Edited by NamKangMan

What would have happened, if you get caught in your home country without a valid driving license? Would you complain about a fund-raiser, too?

IMHO it is ok to fine people driving without license, helmet, or whatever they are required by law. But this should be also done for "nationals" driving without lights at night, mini-buses with read front lights, modified to-be-noisy exhaust pipes, black taxis, ....

• Like 1

Yes, hitting the throttle would have been pretty stupid in reality.

First, I know that Roadblock outside Karon well, but no problem, as I never drive without all papers and with helmet.

To my knowledge, you would need not only the right car/motorbike license of your home country, you need an -International Driving License-

I used for years my Austrian drivers license, which has written -Driving license- in many languages over it, without a problem,

as a "International driving permit". Also be questioned some time, never paid.

Now I have, since some years also my Original International Drivers License and as it is limited in validity, I stretch that with "adjusting the year of limitation" myself, from time to time.wink.png

-Hitting the throttle-

Made that just recently 2-3 month ago..tongue.png

Approached a road block on the Highway from Udon Thani - Sakhon Nakhon in Isaan with an old Honda 400cc CBR Fireblade sportbike,

my 5 year son as pillion rider.

I came way to fast, with really loud exhaust and I did not wear a helmet. (Son had) Was not planned to go that far!

It was a bit crowded at the Roadblock, as they stopped everybody. I would have to pay for sure.

So I passed by the small column slowly and when the next Policeman recognized me passing and raised his arm, I hit the throttle.

Gone with the very loud sound. My GF's home was not far, some miles down from the Highway.

My license plates are from another Ex GF who is from other province, but does not live there anymore, stays somewhere.

Not easy to find my whereabouts.

Edited by ALFREDO

What would have happened, if you get caught in your home country without a valid driving license? Would you complain about a fund-raiser, too?

IMHO it is ok to fine people driving without license, helmet, or whatever they are required by law. But this should be also done for "nationals" driving without lights at night, mini-buses with read front lights, modified to-be-noisy exhaust pipes, black taxis, ....

These road blocks implement "selective enforcement." So, only those you can actually pay, usually farang, are pulled over and fined, or asked for a bribe.

Fining people who can not / will not pay is viewed as a waste of resources here, so, they only fine the people who do pay - farang.

Sounds like "fund raising" to me.

Was your friend Thai or Farang?.I ask this because of the 2 million baht, we hear so many cases of the Thai driver who is in the wrong,having to pay compensation of 2-300,000 for causing a death.

Good to know that the 'volunteer farang policemen' are not volunteering as they want to help Westerners.

I've always wondered about them, and reading the OP's story, my initial feelings of mistrust have changed to outright contempt.

I'm definitely not including the volunteers who help at Immigration - they clearly only want to help and are not some sort of crazed 'power trip'.

^^^ A very good reason to have a dash cam installed, with side and rear view.

What is a good reason for that, a roadblock for people driving without valid license?

" This is something that concerns me about living here, so, I try to keep my use of a motor vehicle to a minimum.

The Thai's ride around with babies and young kids and the elderly onboard. All it would take is for them to crash into you and the baby, the young kid or old papa or mama dies and you are off to the monkey house and extorted out of a lot of money for your freedom, and that's even if you have a vilid Thai licence. Of course, accidents do happen, and it could be yourself at fault. You are still looking at the same consequences.

That's how quick your financial position, liberty and freedom, and plans for the future can change here.

It has nothing to do with a proper investigation of the accident, with justice prevailing, and everything to do with presenting the opportunity to commit a crime against an innocent, or possibly guilty farang, by way of extorting money out of them. "

I must have fallen asleepsmile.png

What is a good reason for that, a roadblock for people driving without valid license?

" This is something that concerns me about living here, so, I try to keep my use of a motor vehicle to a minimum.

It has nothing to do with a proper investigation of the accident, with justice prevailing, and everything to do with presenting the opportunity to commit a crime against an innocent, or possibly guilty farang, by way of extorting money out of them. "

I must have fallen asleepsmile.png

Thanks,, I think I know who wrote that post, he is on my ignore list. And this member is on my ignorelist because of the amount of BS he posts, including in this thread apparently.

Edited by stevenl

I could well be wrong, but I seem to recall you drive a samlaw? My understanding is that, strictly speaking, they are illegal.

I could well be wrong, but I seem to recall you drive a samlaw? My understanding is that, strictly speaking, they are illegal.

The shop has a motorbike with sidecar which I drive about one a month, yes. So what is the connection with driving a motorbike without a motorbike license?