Karon Roadblock - Eu Driving License Wasn't Enough

modafinil

Every road-block I have seen stopped Thais AND foreigners. Don't agree with this "selective" theory.

If there are more Farangs, less Thais have to stop. DjingDjing!

But at time, low season, they go for all chances! But wait, till December!

Unless all Farang would wear helmets. But that will not happen, I guess

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just that I thought samlaws were illegal?

But forgive me if I've misunderstood.

Yes, they are strictly speaking illegal, so? What is the connection with driving a motorbike without a license?

Simply that 'people in glass houses' etc.

Your post (no. 27) implied that you had a problem with people driving illegally without a proper motorbike license. But perhaps I understood your post incorrectly.

I don't think it wise to drive a motorbike without a motorbike license, but my post #27 had nothing to do with that. I was simply enquiring what a dashcam would help at police block, he has answered, all clear what he meant.

Driving a vehicle that here is very much recognised by the whole population (except for some expats), is insured, passes the road test every year, passes BIB checks, etc., is completely different from driving a vehicle without a valid license.

Insured, you call that a insurance?

Every road-block I have seen stopped Thais AND foreigners. Don't agree with this "selective" theory.

If there are more Farangs, less Thais have to stop. DjingDjing!

But at time, low season, they go for all chances! But wait, till December!

Unless all Farang would wear helmets. But that will not happen, I guess

Not my experience, they stop everyone,low or high season.

• Like 1

OK as you asked, it's against the law, you are uninsured, and you may injure yourself, or more importantly someone else, without being able to pay the resultant costs.

Not to do with moral superiority, all to do with responsibility and common sense.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I hope your words resonate amongst all the people who were not already aware of this. Without your sage remarks, who knows how many lives would have been ruined. You are truly a champion of the humble.

• Like 2

I am so glad that you are usually so responsible about never driving without all your papers and helmet.

But you admit to coming "way too fast" and then "hitting the throttle" to escape a road block with your 5 year old son on the back.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, my son wanted a ride, I just brought the bike from Phuket and after some miles, he decided, he wanted to go to the next Lotus, about 25 km away.

So, I had my papers but not my helmet.

With 90 the normal road limit, way to fast is already 125, no big deal, the exhaust is loud so it sounds probably faster than it is to.

Any way, TIT, This Is Thailand, my son wanted it in that way, a bit wind and sound.

I drive since 35 years Big Sport Bikes,

I have the opinion,

that any child is more secure on my pillion, than all the other children, you see in Isaan and the Highways there

on the loading area of the many Pick Ups.

During an emergency breaking, that children and people, sitting on the loading area, can easy get injured, even can be catapulted down from the car.

Do not even think in a case of an accident!

I hope you are man enough and go there and speak with the driver about his irresponsibility!

Hitting the throttle,no big deal, that is -Disneyland- here, no? Look around and in the news, that is an unreal world.

Do not worry, come here take a ride with me.tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Congratulations. You are the...

s-worst-dad.jpg

-Nomad Joe- rolleyes.gif

My sons, I have 5, see that different, think, I am the -BEST DAD-, So for me is their opinion more important.tongue.png

And for the Rest-

I drive since 35 years Big Sport Bikes,

I have the opinion,

that any child is more secure on my pillion, than all the other children, you see in Isaan and the Highways there

on the loading area of the many Pick Ups.

During an emergency breaking, that children and people, sitting on the loading area, can easy get injured, even can be catapulted down from the car.

Do not even think in a case of an accident!

I hope you are man enough and go there and speak with the driver about his irresponsibility

And, hand him over your -trophy- with -World's worst dad- in Thai writing, -พ่อที่เลวร้ายที่สุดของโลก- wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

It's a 110cc scooter. I'm a long-stay tourist, and was wearing similar clothes to every other time I've been stopped there. They were stopping every vehicle. There was a big queue of pasty falang tourists next to the police box paying their fines, I saw other (helmeted) people waving their driver's license around, but everyone was getting a ticket.

I had ample opportunity to stop my bike and turn round (it wasn't an essential journey), but of course I did not expect a fine.

I agree that incorrect insurance/licensing could cause me problems down the road - I could get an IDP (international driver's permit) which would cover me legally for another year of scooter riding. Or the Thai license.

You cannot get a IDP with a endorsment to ride a motorbike on it if you do not have a motorcycle license in your home country

A a car license only allows you legally to drive a car in any country nothing else

IDP's aren't required in Thailand anyway, as evidenced by the fact that you did not get a ticket for not having one.

That is partially true depending on the 1949 UN convention signatories and specific countries.

Completely true for these countries, all contracting states:

Albania

1 Oct 1969 a

Algeria

16 May 1963 a

Argentina

25 Nov 1960 a

Australia

7 Dec 1954 a

Austria

19 Sep 1949

[2 Nov 1955]

Bangladesh

6 Dec 1978 a

Barbados

5 Mar 1971 d

Belgium

19 Sep 1949

23 Apr 1954

Benin

5 Dec 1961 d

Botswana

3 Jan 1967 a

Bulgaria

13 Feb 1963 a

Burkina Faso

31Aug 2009 a

Cambodia

14 Mar 1956 a

Canada

23 Dec 1965 a

Central African Republic

4 Sep 1962 d

Chile

10 Aug 1960 a

Congo

15 May 1962 a

Côte d'Ivoire

8 Dec 1961 d

Cuba

1 Oct 1952 a

Cyprus

6 Jul 1962 d

Czech Republic

2 Jun 1993 d

Democratic Republic of the Congo

6 Mar 1961 d

Denmark

19 Sep 1949

3 Feb 1956

Dominican Republic

19 Sep 1949

15 Aug 1957

Ecuador

26 Sep 1962 a

Egypt

19 Sep 1949

28 May 1957

Fiji

31 Oct 1972 d

Finland

24 Sep 1958 a

France

19 Sep 1949

15 Sep 1950

Georgia

23 Jul 1993 a

Ghana

6 Jan 1959 a

Greece

1 Jul 1952 a

Guatemala

10 Jan 1962 a

Haiti

12 Feb 1958 a

Holy See

5 Oct 1953 a

Hungary

30 Jul 1962 a

Iceland

22 Jul 1983 a

India

19 Sep 1949

9 Mar 1962

Ireland

31 May 1962 a

Israel

19 Sep 1949

6 Jan 1955

Italy

19 Sep 1949

15 Dec 1952

Jamaica

9 Aug 1963 d

Japan

7 Aug 1964 a

Jordan

14 Jan 1960 a

Kyrgyzstan

22 Mar 1994 a

Lao People's Democratic Republic

6 Mar 1959 a

Lebanon

19 Sep 1949

2 Aug 1963

Lesotho

27 Sep 1973 a

Luxembourg

19 Sep 1949

17 Oct 1952

Madagascar

27 Jun 1962 d

Malawi

17 Feb 1965 d

Malaysia

10 Sep 1958 a

Mali

19 Nov 1962 d

Malta

3 Jan 1966 d

Monaco

3 Aug 1951 a

Montenegro

23 Oct 2006 d

Morocco

7 Nov 1956 d

Namibia

13 Oct 1993 d

Netherlands

19 Sep 1949

19 Sep 1952

New Zealand

12 Feb 1958 a

Niger

25 Aug 1961 d

Nigeria

3 February 2011 a

Norway

19 Sep 1949

11 Apr 1957

Papua New Guinea

12 Feb 1981 a

Paraguay

18 Oct 1965 a

Peru

9 Jul 1957 a

Philippines

19 Sep 1949

15 Sep 1952

Poland

29 Oct 1958 a

Portugal

28 Dec 1955 a

Republic of Korea

14 Jun 1971 d

Romania

26 Jan 1961 a

Russian Federation

17 Aug 1959 a

Rwanda

5 Aug 1964 d

San Marino

19 Mar 1962 a

Senegal

13 Jul 1962 d

Serbia

12 Mar 2001 d

Sierra Leone

13 Mar 1962 d

Singapore

29 Nov 1972 d

Slovakia

1 Feb 1993 d

South Africa

19 Sep 1949

9 Jul 1952 a

Spain

13 Feb 1958 a

Sri Lanka

26 Jul 1957 a

Sweden

19 Sep 1949

25 Feb 1952

Switzerland

19 Sep 1949

Syrian Arab Republic

11 Dec 1953 a

Thailand

15 Aug 1962 a

Togo

27 Feb 1962 d

Trinidad and Tobago

8 Jul 1964 a

Tunisia

8 Nov 1957 a

Turkey

17 Jan 1956 a

Uganda

15 Apr 1965 a

United Arab Emirates

10 Jan 2007 a

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

19 Sep 1949

8 Jul 1957

United States of America

19 Sep 1949

30 Aug 1950

Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

11 May 1962 a

Zimbabwe

1 Dec 1998 d

http://www.unece.org...RSS_RT1949.html

I tried to find what this document is actually in reference to - without luck. I'm surprised by all these comments about no IDP being required, since I've always been told one is required (and used to get them myself, prior to getting Thai licences). And if you look on the (Australian) IDP itself, it lists countries for which it is valid - including Thailand.

I tried to find what this document is actually in reference to - without luck. I'm surprised by all these comments about no IDP being required, since I've always been told one is required (and used to get them myself, prior to getting Thai licences). And if you look on the (Australian) IDP itself, it lists countries for which it is valid - including Thailand.

Big difference between being valid and being required.

• Like 1

I am insured through THAISRI Insurance group which is part of the Zurich group before that I was with AXA however I was to learn that with AXA I was insured as the motorbike rider but there was no insurance for my pillion passenger With AXA my Honda Phantom ( 6 years old 10k ) was valued by them for 22,000 bht with my THAISRI my bike is no longer insured for damage but my passenger is. I have yet to find an insurance company that will cover you for everything Cost for 1 year was 3.600 bht less than 10 baht for peace of mind I also have the standard Government insurance of 645 bht per year . My main concern is that if someone hits you and they do not have a current moterbike tax disc then you are in big shit because there is no cover for you if you can afford a bike then you can afford proper insurance for your own peace of mind

STAY SAFE !!!!!!!!!

Big difference between being valid and being required.

Ping is correct as far as the booklet states when you get a IDP in Australia

For Thailand it says IDP is required, if its true or not i do not know but better to be safe than sorry

It's a 110cc scooter. I'm a long-stay tourist, and was wearing similar clothes to every other time I've been stopped there. They were stopping every vehicle. There was a big queue of pasty falang tourists next to the police box paying their fines, I saw other (helmeted) people waving their driver's license around, but everyone was getting a ticket.

I had ample opportunity to stop my bike and turn round (it wasn't an essential journey), but of course I did not expect a fine.

I agree that incorrect insurance/licensing could cause me problems down the road - I could get an IDP (international driver's permit) which would cover me legally for another year of scooter riding. Or the Thai license.

You cannot get a IDP with a endorsment to ride a motorbike on it if you do not have a motorcycle license in your home country

A a car license only allows you legally to drive a car in any country nothing else

Both sentence are incorrect PC. You can get a IDP and a car license may allow you to legally drive a car AND motorbike.

Both sentence are incorrect PC. You can get a IDP and a car license may allow you to legally drive a car AND motorbike.

AFAIK the "can use up to 50cc/125cc motorcycles, because of the license holder made the car license long time ago, when the law of the issuing country let drive them with car license'' will always result in a A or A1 permission.

You don't have them in your European car license, you simple do not have a valid motorcycles license.

It is easy to spot, on these new licenses!

271px-Fahrerlaubnisklassen.png

A car license from abroad will never allow you to legally drive a motorbike in Thailand. Thailand does not make a distinction between big or smaller bikes (with the exception of youngsters under 16), so a car license from back home, even with a small motorbike endorsement, has no validity in Thailand.

A car license from abroad will never allow you to legally drive a motorbike in Thailand. Thailand does not make a distinction between big or smaller bikes (with the exception of youngsters under 16), so a car license from back home, even with a small motorbike endorsement, has no validity in Thailand.

Oh, the max. 125 cc works totally with the scooters!

If it is in the license, it is valid here, too.

But I think, the OP Topic

"Karon Roadblock - Eu Driving License Wasn't Enough"

need to be corrected:

Karon Roadblock - EU car driving license for cars wasn't enough for driving a motorcycle

Edited by noob7
  • Like 2

No. You may get away with it on a policecheckpoint, but in Thailand for any bike a motorbike license is required.

need to be corrected:

Karon Roadblock - EU car driving license for cars wasn't enough for driving a motorcycle

Yes, agree.

"Insured, you call that a insurance?"

This is a point in which I too am interested (sorry - I know its a bit off-topic).

The scooter insurance is unbelievably cheap here, so I'm pretty confident it doesn't cover any damage to the scooter. But does anyone know what cover it provides against third party claims?

This is a point in which I too am interested (sorry - I know its a bit off-topic).

The scooter insurance is unbelievably cheap here, so I'm pretty confident it doesn't cover any damage to the scooter. But does anyone know what cover it provides against third party claims?

If I remember correctly: only coverage for personal injury of 3rd party up to 50,000 Baht.

If I remember correctly: only coverage for personal injury of 3rd party up to 50,000 Baht.

Thank you. I'd often wondered.

Have you ever seen or had a IDP Steven it sounds not

A IDP specifies the types of vehicles and bikes you are legally licensed to drive in your home country

If it is required in another country it is only valid if accompanied by your legal current license from your home country

No. You may get away with it on a policecheckpoint, but in Thailand for any bike a motorbike license is required.

need to be corrected:

Yes, agree.

Steven, in case 'you' are old enough, that your age/license gave you the right, to drive a Motorcycle, there is a motorcycle license (A/A1, with 'strings', up to 50 or 125cc, only) in your driving license.

Looks like one, is like one. Only no 250/400/750/1000/.../cc on two wheels.

If OP haven't had it, he didn't do his license at a time, people could drive 50cc or 125cc, without a real motorcycle test.

These licenses aren't often, any more. The holder have to be 60+, I think. Most countries in Europe stopped the 'up to 125cc with your car license, no further test needed' -thing in the late 60's, beginning 70's'.

Edited by noob7

I think, it should cover third parties on persons. But it's not used that way.

It is used as a max. 15.000 Baht cover for medical expenses from the driver, also up to 55.000 for the pillion(s).

Maybe here a third party could 'sneak' in? But no repair cost covered, not at vehicles!

If you have a accident, even falling down your own, no one else involved: Get a police report, go to a hospital, take the insurance papers, done! Or pay the hospitel, get report and bills to the insurance, wait some days, cash back!

But: The owner of the bike has to be ok with it.

And for rental bikes, sometimes, the insurance is used for a second cover of the 'repair cost'. up 2 the discretion of the insurance brooker. In case, the owner has many many bikes to insure: good extra money, this way

Edited by noob7

Have you ever seen or had a IDP Steven it sounds not

A IDP specifies the types of vehicles and bikes you are legally licensed to drive in your home country

If it is required in another country it is only valid if accompanied by your legal current license from your home country

Yes pc, I have had IDP's.

But again, the AAA can write what they want in the IDP, that does not make it required by Thai law. And an Australian IDP, where the original license is also in English, has no added value at all and is NOT required by law in Thailand.

Ah pc, if you address me also quote me please, now your post makes no sense.

need to be corrected:

Yes, agree.

Steven, in case 'you' are old enough, that your age/license gave you the right, to drive a Motorcycle, there is a motorcycle license (A/A1, with 'strings', up to 50 or 125cc, only) in your driving license.

Looks like one, is like one. Only no 250/400/750/1000/.../cc on two wheels.

If OP haven't had it, he didn't do his license at a time, people could drive 50cc or 125cc, without a real motorcycle test.

These licenses aren't often, aby more. The holder have to be 60+, I think. Most countries in Europe stopped the 'up to 125cc with your car license, no further test needed' -thing in the late 60's, beginning 70's'.

That has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of the license.

In Thailand to ride a motorbike a motorbike license is required. A car license with endorsement up to a certain cc is not valid in Thailand, where for all categories motorbikes a full motorbike license is required.

Oh, on my homelicense is valid for motorbikes, cars, lorries and small buses. Because I did tests for all, and passed them all :)

Edited by stevenl

So, if you are at fault in an accident, and accidents do happen - no one is perfect, and the innocent party ends up in a wheel chair for the rest of their life, or loses a limb - I don't think 50,000 baht is going to cover what you will have to pay by way of compensation, which will be "mediated" out of you by police and your lawyer, usually while you are in gaol.

Riding a motobike here can hurt you physically, and financially, and goes way beyond, "You scratch motorbike. You pay 20,000 baht for fix."

So, no, you are really not insured here for 3rd party injury, and let's not get into when the Thai is at fault but the farang ends up with the blame and paying.

In Thailand to ride a motorbike a motorbike license is required. A car license with endorsement up to a certain cc is not valid in Thailand, where for all categories motorbikes a full motorbike license is required.

Oh, on my homelicense is valid for motorbikes, cars, lorries and small buses. Because I did tests for all, and passed them all smile.png

You don't get it, do you?

In Europe, all vehicles, you have permission to drive, are mentioned in one driving license. No two license system, for 2 and 4 wheels!

You get stamps, for the date, you got the permission, and what limitation you have.

Same like 'old' driving license for car can do up 7.5 tons with trailer, 'new' licenses can't.

What you have, you have.

And in case, the car license 'you' made, was from a time, where you got the permission to drive motorcycles up to 125ccm with it, it is stated in the driving license as a motorcycle license with the 125cc limit!

This license is in English, it shows the motorcycles, it is for up to 125cc.

The Thais don't even know, why it is limited to 125cc. But even if they would: You have a license! You can show it! you can drive a 125 cc scooter legally.

Oh, on my homelicense is valid for motorbikes, cars, lorries and small buses. Because I did tests for all, and passed them all smile.png

You don't get it, do you?

In Europe, all vehicles, you have permission to drive, are mentioned in one driving license. No two license system, for 2 and 4 wheels!

You get stamps, for the date, you got the permission, and what limitation you have.

Same like 'old' driving license for car can do up 7.5 tons with trailer, 'new' licenses can't.

What you have, you have.

And in case, the car license 'you' made, was from a time, where you got the permission to drive motorcycles up to 125ccm with it, it is stated in the driving license as a motorcycle license with the 125cc limit!

This license is in English, it shows the motorcycles, it is for up to 125cc.

The Thais don't even know, why it is limited to 125cc. But even if they would: You have a license! You can show it! you can drive a 125 cc scooter legally.

Yes, I get it, I have one license with the categories I can legally drive marked.

But you don't get it: it does not make any difference if you have a marking 'motorbike up to 125 cc' or whatever on your home license, since here in Thailand that restriction does not exist. To drive any motorbike legally in Thailand a full motorbike license is required, and that restricted home license has no value..