A Lesson For Thailand From The Philippines

webfact

EDITORIAL

A lesson for Thailand from the Philippines

The Nation

Bangkok must overcome its fear of foreign peace brokers if it wants to end the violence in the deep South

BANGKOK: -- After 15 years of negotiation, on Sunday the Philippines government finally reached agreement with the Muslim rebels in the country's southern region to end a 40-year conflict that has killed more than 120,000 people. This is good news for the Philippines and for Asean.

Of course there is still more work to be done, but credit must be given to those who were involved in a peace process that has travelled a long and troubled road before reaching this crucial stage.

At the outset, few believed they would eventually reach a framework within which both sides could work to establish enduring peace and stability. After years of talk and negotiations that sought to close the gap between seemingly entrenched positions, there emerged a political will to find common ground. That was the foundation for success.

Sunday's agreed-upon peace framework builds on key decision points made this past April. The agreement forged a roadmap to create a new autonomous region in the south of the mainly Roman Catholic country before the end of President Beningno Aquino's term in 2016, giving the Muslim-dominated area greater political powers and more control over resources.

But by announcing the framework deal now, the two sides have made their intentions clear. Both sides want to convey to the world that they have reached a landmark in the peace talks. Certainly, in the months to come, they have much work to do on pivotal issues such as sharing power and wealth, as well as the borders of the proposed new autonomous political territory to be called Bangsamoro. This new area will replace the current autonomous region known as Muslim Mindanao.

Thailand, in its own struggle with insurgency, can learn important lessons from the Philippines peace process. One is that outside assistance at the beginning is pivotal to success. Our government and the insurgents lack the mutual trust that is a fundamental prerequisite to launching a peace process. They lack the mindsets that would permit them to "think outside of the box" and go beyond their zero-sum-game mentality.

These entrenched positions govern the deadlock in southern Thailand, where many countries have played important roles as international contacts, including Japan, Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom, as well as quite a few international non-governmental organisations such as the Asia Foundation, Humanitarian Dialogue Centre and the Organisation for Islamic Cooperation.

The Yingluck government, however, is keen to begin a peace process with limited involvement from outsiders. Thailand is sensitive about this because it fears outsiders would collude to harm the national interest. One fear is that outsiders would follow the example of East Timor and help give the citizens of the deep South a referendum to decide their own fate. At the same time, Bangkok officials will swear up and down that the Malays there remain loyal to the country and would never support an independent state.

This opinion ignores the deep psychological scars in the South's Muslim population stemming from their forebears' efforts to combat foreign invaders and colonisers. Unfortunately, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has no grasp of the real situation in the South. Her brother Thaksin is the real decision-maker. He still wants a quick fix and refuses to give up the maverick style of governance that turned the South upside down in the first place.

In March he made a failed attempt in Kuala Lumpur to negotiate with the leaders of the long-standing separatist groups. He forgot that there is a new generation of militants on the ground. Their response to the March meeting was a triple car-bomb attack in Yala, as well as one in the basement of a Hat Yai hotel.

It is obvious that without an inclusive and holistic solution for the troubles of the South, peace will not be achieved there. The authorities responsible for the peace process need to take stock of the achievements in the Philippines. At the moment, the government is still dithering between positions without a sense of direction. It is time to make a positive move.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-10

From a purely commercial point of view: Why would Thailand want a “toll booth” set up to access trade and travel with Malaysia? The situation is totally different in the Philippines where the Muslim "homeland" is in the deep south-west and does not impose any sort of impediment to travel or trade.

WELL that might take some time....COZ first, they would have to DEBATE IT& after the DEBATING IT, they form a COMMITTEE to STUDY it.

After they Studied it and made recommendations, another issue would come up and they need to postpone it. After a couple of more years pass, and more people have died, they would bring the issue up again about ASKING FOR OUTSIDE help. They would need to DEBATE it all over again coz the original debaters either got shuffled to another post, boooted out coz they love to play musical chairs and reshuffle dance. AFTER all those changes they would NEED TO RE-DEBATE IT, then form another committee to study it all over again... Then the SCHEMERS would realize their is no money in peace, and its always better to MAKE MONEY & SAVE FACE THAN SAVE LIVES, The ISSUE WOULD BE TABLED AGAIN.p.s. the PHILIPPINES IS beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by jerrysteve
  • Like 2

Thailand is a long way from this step. Powerful military factions and members of the Privy Council would most likely veto it. This unrest has been going on for over 100 years.

Also there are a lot of skeletons in the (extrajudicial execution) closet which the government, police, border police and army do not want to share with outsiders.

Cut and paste that article and reprint it 15 years from now. Everything will be the same.

• Like 1

The way I see it is the Government does not want a solution other than total surrender to Thaksin Yingluck. The terrorists do not want a solution other than total surrender to them. Which in turn would lead to a internal war within themselves as there are lot's of different them's.

The people do not count to either side.

• Like 1

Many positive moves are being made.. The proposed land-bridge will diminish the (radical) Islam presence in the Southern provinces. Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam shall be bettter linked to Burma & India. The said area, much like the Khrabi canal proposed so many times, should transform the entire area into a bona-fide trade route. Potential to rival Singapore and Malacca Straits is plausible. please cf minutes 7:35-9:39 http://asiasociety.o...acific-complete

"In March he made a failed attempt in Kuala Lumpur to negotiate with the leaders of the long-standing separatist groups. He forgot that there is a new generation of militants on the ground. Their response to the March meeting was a triple car-bomb attack in Yala, as well as one in the basement of a Hat Yai hotel."

Let me get this right, Thailand is going to bend over for these people who blow things up with no regard to human life when they don't get their way! To me this is not acceptable and those involved should be sought out and punished. Where would it stop if they give in. What will they do when the government doesn't give them additional funds etc once everything has been setup and everyone has bowed down to them - blow up another hotel! Not sure what the answer is but I do know that what ever goes on to combat this terrorism it shouldn't be tackled in ballet slippers for sure! Need to go in and do the job right the fist time!

Edited by lostbuffalo
  • Like 1

Remember, a Muslim can lie to an infidel without violating their religion. We'll see how well the deal holds together in the Philippines. I expect the "transition" area will always have some trouble, as the "Autonomous Region" works to expand itself.

• Like 1

Why is that when I hear that muslims have agreed to a cease fire I think they have won and someone else has lost? They dont seem to want to compomise, just what they want and are prepared to use violence to get their way. What other religon resorts to these tactics?

I hope it works out for the Phillipines bu they might find that what they think they have signed up to may not end up that way.

Edited by metisdead
: There is no need to post using bold font, bold removed.

I hope there is someone who understands this because I realy do not understand blink.png

why do people and countries always fit themselves to certain groups of Muslims? They (muslims) want to live in Thailand or the Philippines or anywhere in the world they should simply adapt to the country where they live (and a lot of times are born)! But no it's always the other way around the country including the people must adapt to them this is really incredible and F....t up

in my opinion and in this case, Thailand is just right not to accept an independent state within the country but that they just simply adapt to the laws and regulations of the country where they live!

• Like 1

I hope there is someone who understands this because I realy do not understand blink.png

why do people and countries always fit themselves to certain groups of Muslims? They (muslims) want to live in Thailand or the Philippines or anywhere in the world they should simply adapt to the country where they live (and a lot of times are born)! But no it's always the other way around the country including the people must adapt to them this is really incredible and F....t up

in my opinion and in this case, Thailand is just right not to accept an independent state within the country but that they just simply adapt to the laws and regulations of the country where they live!

It's going this way in the US, and probably many other countries. It used to be many years ago, when people immigrated to the US, they would adapt to the culture of their new adoptive country. Now they want the country (US) to adapt to their culture. And of course with all the new PC,(political correctness) we just smile and say, oh those people, Enough is enough. If you don't like my country and our culture, go back home.

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 2

Let's not allow facts get in the way of a good rant.

But these people did not immigrate to Thailand rather Thailand grabbed what it could of the Malay sultanates when borders became more codified and the people living there ended up living within the borders of Siam which became Thailand.

The majority are Malay, their first language in Jawi, their religion is Muslim and their culture and traditions are different.

The conflict and unrest with the Bangkok government has been going for over 100 years long before Al Qaeda and worldwide Wahabism-inspired, oil money financed anti-Western extremism.

For decades, Bangkok has been sending its most venal, corrupt and ruthless civil servants to the Deep South as a punishment. These criminals then mete it out to the locals.

Any peaceful organisation which has proposed autonomy for the region has been treated as treasonous by the Bangkok authorities and their leaders have been 'disappeared'. So no organisation or campaign for autonomy can be overt but must remain secret.

The authorities have practised a policy of extradujicial execution, torture and long periods of detention without trial often based on being a Muslim male between 18 to 40 and hailing from a 'red' district. These ramped up again during the Thaksin government.

The three Deep South provinces come rock bottom in terms of per household income despite bordering Malaysia, the only country bordering Thailand with a higher per capita income than Thailand.

There is a lot more if you care to read about this topic. The point is while bombs cannot be justified, there is an awful lot more the government could have done (and in fact did during certain administrations) to contain the situation or improve it including the use of mediators from another country.

I'll let you get back to your anti-Muslim rant now.

• Like 2

I can't believe the East Timor comparison. They were invaded by Indonesia in the 70's as a land/resources grab. Many were killed including Aussie jounalists. Not one country did anything about it (including Australia). They are entitled to self determination. There is no comparison with South Thailand.

I agree that we should be more vocal about equality. England is bowing to muslim pressure too, from what I hear. Crazy thing is they tend to turn on each other frequently. The result of no central muslim authority I guess. But I do think they need to be careful how hard they push. Muslims are not the only people to form terrorist groups in response to threat. When governments no longer represent the views of the majority, the majority take matters into their own hands and defence of home is a primary cause. Look at the IRA, ETA or the Shining Path. I'm thinking all this will end badly only to be repeated some years later by a new cast of fools.

But these people did not immigrate to Thailand rather Thailand grabbed what it could of the Malay sultanates when borders became more codified and the people living there ended up living within the borders of Siam which became Thailand.

The majority are Malay, their first language in Jawi, their religion is Muslim and their culture and traditions are different.

Malay Language is the language used by the malay people, Jawi is the arabic writing system to phonetically write the malay language.

Their religion is Islam

Edited by thaifkrlim
  • Like 1

The Phillipine government has been involved in a war with the muslim fanatic insurgents over the past decade or so (got serious right after the 9/11 attacks in 2001). Most of the big muslim players (fanatic, not normal muslims) have been wiped out by years of counterinsurgency (Abu Saef etc), so now there can be peace. It is my opinion that this historically has been the the case with most conflicts, someone needs to win before there can be peace.

Edited by rsokolowski

"credit must be given to those who were involved in a peace process"

Hmpf. You learn something new everyday!

Apparently "peace process" in the Philippines means:

Let the terrorists kidnap, kill, and bomb (you know - negotiating) until the government has no more money to fight them, then let the terrorists get their way.

Let's see how long this "peace" lasts. ;)

Why is that when I hear that muslims have agreed to a cease fire I think they have won and someone else has lost? They dont seem to want to compomise, just what they want and are prepared to use violence to get their way. What other religon resorts to these tactics?

I hope it works out for the Phillipines bu they might find that what they think they have signed up to may not end up that way.

When I was in the 2nd grade some 75 years ago they had a cease fire then This one will end the same way. Learn what?

Remember, a Muslim can lie to an infidel without violating their religion. We'll see how well the deal holds together in the Philippines. I expect the "transition" area will always have some trouble, as the "Autonomous Region" works to expand itself.

Well, so the Buddhist Thais and Catholic Filipinos never lie, right?

It's going this way in the US, and probably many other countries. It used to be many years ago, when people immigrated to the US, they would adapt to the culture of their new adoptive country. Now they want the country (US) to adapt to their culture. And of course with all the new PC,(political correctness) we just smile and say, oh those people, Enough is enough. If you don't like my country and our culture, go back home.

Actually people who immigrated to the USA killed the natives or forced them into their culture. Much worse than the Islam fanatics do. And it happened not long ago, just a few hundred years. A short moment if you look at European or Chinese history.

Immigrants came...killed or forced them into their culture. Islam is doing it much more friendly, so no reason to whine.

"In March he made a failed attempt in Kuala Lumpur to negotiate with the leaders of the long-standing separatist groups. He forgot that there is a new generation of militants on the ground. Their response to the March meeting was a triple car-bomb attack in Yala, as well as one in the basement of a Hat Yai hotel."

Let me get this right, Thailand is going to bend over for these people who blow things up with no regard to human life when they don't get their way! To me this is not acceptable and those involved should be sought out and punished. Where would it stop if they give in. What will they do when the government doesn't give them additional funds etc once everything has been setup and everyone has bowed down to them - blow up another hotel! Not sure what the answer is but I do know that what ever goes on to combat this terrorism it shouldn't be tackled in ballet slippers for sure! Need to go in and do the job right the fist time!

Well, just a tiny piece of advice to you, Read about the south, it's people and what is going on over there then come and post here. Thanks

And here is another example of a person who have no f**kg clue about the history of the south, and how it all started, comes here and simply puke such ideas !! Dude, for god sake, do some research and read about the south of thailand !

• Like 1

The conflict and unrest with the Bangkok government has been going for over 100 years long before Al Qaeda and worldwide Wahabism-inspired, oil money financed anti-Western extremism.

For decades, Bangkok has been sending its most venal, corrupt and ruthless civil servants to the Deep South as a punishment. These criminals then mete it out to the locals.

Any peaceful organisation which has proposed autonomy for the region has been treated as treasonous by the Bangkok authorities and their leaders have been 'disappeared'. So no organisation or campaign for autonomy can be overt but must remain secret.

The authorities have practised a policy of extradujicial execution, torture and long periods of detention without trial often based on being a Muslim male between 18 to 40 and hailing from a 'red' district. These ramped up again during the Thaksin government.

The three Deep South provinces come rock bottom in terms of per household income despite bordering Malaysia, the only country bordering Thailand with a higher per capita income than Thailand.

There is a lot more if you care to read about this topic. The point is while bombs cannot be justified, there is an awful lot more the government could have done (and in fact did during certain administrations) to contain the situation or improve it including the use of mediators from another country.

I'll let you get back to your anti-Muslim rant now.

MAN MAN MAN ! You nailed it just right, respect to you sir. Gr8 post right facts.

What the Muslims want is Sharia Law everywhere and subservient women, multiple wives. Peace will never happen. They don't want women to be educated or have meaningful jobs in society. What on earth is a matter with these people. They are hypocrites, trouble makers. Look at Europe now. What a mess! Britain's benefit system is overwhelmed. The infrastructure crumbling with the muslims demands on the NHS, School system and community services overall is crippling. France is trying. Well done to them. Australia has the right idea too. These people must follow the local rules wherever they are, learn to integrate, adopt the local language and adapt or get out. Stop the numbers growing before its too late !