Ed Visa To Tourist Visa Change In-The Country ( Inside Thailand ) ?

Mario,

I think what the gentleman is asking is this:

If you are in country, have a tourist visa, and have applied for an ED Visa and have received the necessary paperwork back stating that it is granted, do you need to then leave the country and go to Vientiane or KL or somewhere with a Thai Embassy to have your Passport stamped and the ED Visa activated?

I would like to know too. My GF is in a similar position where she has started language school, has received the paperwork back from the Immigration Dept and has been told by the school she needs to leave the country and apply at an embassy to have the visa activated.

Cheers!

Mario,

I think what the gentleman is asking is this:

If you are in country, have a tourist visa, and have applied for an ED Visa and have received the necessary paperwork back stating that it is granted, do you need to then leave the country and go to Vientiane or KL or somewhere with a Thai Embassy to have your Passport stamped and the ED Visa activated?

I would like to know too. My GF is in a similar position where she has started language school, has received the paperwork back from the Immigration Dept and has been told by the school she needs to leave the country and apply at an embassy to have the visa activated.

Cheers!

After checking the title, the OP wants to change from an ED-visa to a tourist visa. That is not possible, he will need to leave the country and apply for a tourist visa abroad. The max he can get is an extra 7 days, for 1,900 baht.

Your GF wants to change from a tourist visa to an ED-visa. That is a conversion that is normally not done, and she already asked immigration and the school who told her to apply for a visa abroad. I can only state the same.

Normally the only time a tourist visa is converted to an ED-visa is when one starts a genuine full time university study at a well known university. Even then it is not sure.

• Like 1

It is not activation of visa but the actual visa that is issued outside Thailand at the Consulate. The school provides the paperwork to allow the Consulate to issue such a visa. You return on that visa entry for your stay/study and if allowed extend your stay.

• Like 1

Why would a person want to change from an ED visa to tourist visa is my question.

If is a multiple entry visa (issued by an embassy or consulate) you can still use it until it expires.

An entry from a single entry visa would be valid until the 90 day permit to stay ends.

An extension of stay for education purposes would require leaving the country and getting a tourist visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

It is not activation of visa but the actual visa that is issued outside Thailand at the Consulate. The school provides the paperwork to allow the Consulate to issue such a visa. You return on that visa entry for your stay/study and if allowed extend your stay.

Thanks all, and thanks Lopburi, I understand the process better now.

Cheers,

Why would a person want to change from an ED visa to tourist visa is my question.

Because an ED visa can run out, then if you want to stay longer you need another type of Visa.

I am in the same situation where I have sudied the same subject for 3 years (and 3 months), and now I need to study another subject or obtain a different type of visa that is not an ED visa.

Unless of course someone can tell me that I can go over 3 years and 3 months in the same subject.

I assume you writing about having an extension of stay not a visa. Then if your studies end you would need to leave the country and get a tourist visa.

If you had a visa you could stay until the visa runs out or every 90 days if it's is multiple entry visa.

I assume you writing about having an extension of stay not a visa. Then if your studies end you would need to leave the country and get a tourist visa.

If you had a visa you could stay until the visa runs out or every 90 days if it's is multiple entry visa.

Yes, the stamps say extention of stay.

Am I correct in that a single subject can only give you extensions of stay up to 3 years and 3 months, or have they changed the rules?