Turning Left

Neeranam

As said you would both be wrong, he for passing at an intersection and you for pulling out without a clear road, but why even ask? If you are dead it is not going to matter much. The rule is avoid (as you obviously did). And in Thailand you need to be ready to do that at all times.

Doesn’t matter what the situation or what happens. If you’re a farang your in the wrong, the accident would not have happened if you were not in their country!!! TiT

I don't agree with that at all. I (farang) got rear-ended by a bike in Chiang Mai. The bike disputed that he was to blame. It took the police all of 30 seconds to see that he was wrong, and was liable for payment. The police never even entertained the idea that I was to blame.

> Doesn’t matter what the situation or what happens. If you’re a farang your

> in the wrong,

That's silly. You hear this a lot, mostly on bar stools, but it's complete rubbish of course.

Anyway, in the example given, I think the main road has the right of way. Imagine it being the other way around: You overtake some ancient uncle in his equally ancient Mazda Familia, and out of some small side soi comes some guy smacking is truck straight on the main road.. Nasty.. :o

Always look 2 ways. (And preferably more ways. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Doesn’t matter what the situation or what happens. If you’re a farang your

> in the wrong,

That's silly. You hear this a lot, mostly on bar stools, but it's complete rubbish of course.

Cheers,

Chanchao

How many farang do you know that have had a prang and been in the right both by law and morally and still have had to pay on police say so. I can certainly name a few.

When I got my licence here last year, their book said undertaking can only be done if there are 3 lanes or more. If there were 2 lanes, only, the pick up truck was in the wrong.

Part of the motorway has 2 lanes only and the "I own the roads, out of my way" do it all the time. Very often the driver in the fast lane wants to let them pass and then they almost bump into each other when trying to move to the slower lane since the "out of my way "driver just could not wait for the guy in front to do so... :o

Well in American English we say overtaking and undertaking might better be used for the results. But I question what drivers manual would say you can not overtake on a two lane highway. That is exactly why you have broken lines - to indicate it is lawful to overtake (pass).

In my opinion only a fool would pull out into traffic and it would indeed be wrong. And I believe that wrong would include legally wrong.

Well in American English we say overtaking and undertaking might better be used for the results. But I question what drivers manual would say you can not overtake on a two lane highway. That is exactly why you have broken lines - to indicate it is lawful to overtake (pass).

In my opinion only a fool would pull out into traffic and it would indeed be wrong. And I believe that wrong would include legally wrong.

In this context 'undertaking' is used to describe passing on the left, which, amazingly is legal !!

Ok page turned. I thought we were talking about an overtaking vehicle on a two lane road so it would have been on the right. In any case we (this) American would call in overtaking on the left rather than undertaking.

I suspect the thinking is that there is more danger in changing lanes to pass; rather than in passing on the left in highway driving. And the drivers do like to change lanes here.