Russia To Supply Attack Helicopters, Air-Defense Systems To Iraq

News_Editor

Russia to supply attack helicopters, air-defense systems to Iraq < br />

2012-10-11 03:56:35 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) -- The Russian government will supply dozens of attack helicopters and mobile air-defense systems to Iraq in an arms deal worth more than $4.2 billion, making Russia the second-biggest weapons supplier to the Middle Eastern country after the United States, officials said on Wednesday.

The multi-billion deal was disclosed following a meeting Tuesday between Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev in Moscow, the Russian capital. Al-Maliki also met with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Moscow Kremlin on Wednesday.

As part of the deal, Iraq will purchase 30 Russian MI-28NE attack helicopters, worth approximately $2 billion, and 42 Pantsir short-to-medium-range surface-to-air missile and anti-aircraft artillery weapon systems, worth approximately $2.2 billion. In addition, the Iraqi government is also considering to purchase a number of Russian MiG fighter jets as well as armored vehicles.

"I think that we could also develop cooperation in security and military affairs. We should also exchange our latest views and assessments of the regional situation and other issues of mutual interest," al-Maliki told Putin during their meeting on Wednesday. He also welcomed the news that direct passenger flights between Russia and Iraq are being considered.

The arms deal, among the biggest ever signed between the two countries, make Russia the second-biggest weapons supplier to the Middle Eastern country after the United States. Some experts have pointed out that the deal could represent a break from the American arms supply toward Iraq.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-10-11

cheesy.gif Cheney must be spitting blood clap2.gif

Right. He misses out. Bet this wasn't part of the pre-invasion plan. The US will be spitting chips. Maybe the Dick can take his frustration out on a friend during his next hunting trip. giggle.gif

Why, their stuff(Russian) didn't work very well in the first or second war, it's up to Iraq if they want to piss their money away.

Umm, because the morons who instigated the war are getting far less than they bargained for - but then I thought that was obvious

Right. He misses out. Bet this wasn't part of the pre-invasion plan. The US will be spitting chips. Maybe the Dick can take his frustration out on a friend during his next hunting trip. giggle.gif

Was it a twelve-gauge right in the kisser? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Further proof that Iraq is not a puppet of America. You guys should be thrilled.

Oh yes, thrilled . . . because we directly benefit from it . . .

Nooooooooooooooo - because even the best laid schemes of mice and morons (aka Cheney and his military-industrial complex) gang aft a-gley (often go awry)

And why should we cry for the harbingers of death and destruction?

• Like 1

Why, their stuff(Russian) didn't work very well in the first or second war, it's up to Iraq if they want to piss their money away.

The small Russian tank went all they way to Berlin . Have you heard of Kalasnikov.

I wonder how many of those will be making their way to Damascus.

Are you saying that Iraq and Syria are the best of friends?

The Syrian Ruler is Shia ,the Majority of Iraq are Shia So as they are surrounded by Sunni, It would be natural to help each other.now and again.

The small Russian tank went all they way to Berlin . Have you heard of Kalasnikov.

And how long did those tanks and aircraft last in Iraq? A few days?

A good tradesman doesn't blame his tools. Have you ever been on the sharp end of a Kalishnikov ? Scary stuff when you hear one of those letting go at you. Far more durable, reliable, powerful and deadly than any other standard assault rifle. All this from a 60 + year old design.

As for your comments on their equipment in the world wars. If it wasn't for Russian action and hardware we would have lost both those wars.

I was talking about the first and second Iraq war, how long did they last then was my point,m jut a few day and weeks and the actual Iraqi Army and Air Force was out of business.

A good tradesman doesn't blame his tools. Have you ever been on the sharp end of a Kalishnikov ? Scary stuff when you hear one of those letting go at you. Far more durable, reliable, powerful and deadly than any other standard assault rifle. All this from a 60 + year old design.

As for your comments on their equipment in the world wars. If it wasn't for Russian action and hardware we would have lost both those wars.

I was talking about the first and second Iraq war, how long did they last then was my point,m jut a few day and weeks and the actual Iraqi Army and Air Force was out of business.

Yes, indeed . . . fighter jets against tanks and trucks . . . what a bunch of useless crap

I agree. Sounds like a way to get arms shipped to their buddies in Syria. Russia shipping arms directly to Syria would look bad on the world scene, since Russia and China are the only big boys to support the regime. Looks as tho some middle man in Iraq will be making a bundle. Be interesting if the rebels intercept the shipment to Syria (if there is one) similar to how they intercepted truckloads of Iranian elite soldiers traveling to aid the Syrian regime.

how they intercepted truckloads of Iranian elite soldiers traveling to aid the Syrian regime.

Interesting - I've been trying to find any reference to 'truckloads of Iranian elite soldiers' being intercepted . . .

Are they driving through Iraq? You know, the country they were at war with and neither can stand the other? Or did they drive through Armenia? How about Turkey?

I a link would be nice, thanks

In case it escaped you, the government of Iraq is now Shi'a controlled. The Alawites are Shi'a.

So I'm saying the Iraqi GOVERNMENT and the Syrian GOVERNMENT are best of friends.

Edited by Chicog

I sense the so called Arab spring will soon be revealed as an awakening of overt aggression between Sunni and Shia Islam. The U.S supplying the former, Russia the latter. This quid pro quo though profitable on the face of it carries the risk of The west and Russia/China coming into direct conflict and the omens are not good considering the situation in Syria.

In case it escaped you, the government of Iraq is now Shi'a controlled. The Alawites are Shi'a.

So I'm saying the Iraqi GOVERNMENT and the Syrian GOVERNMENT are best of friends.

Why would that have escaped me? Are you projecting? And why would you say that they are the best of friends, something you still haven't responded to . . . You do realise that they were quite hostile to one another for a very, very long time and only exchanged Ambos in 2006 . . .

Oh, that ended when they both recalled their Ambos in 2009 . . . not friendly towards one another at all . . . oh, and there's that little issue of Iraq voting Syria out of the Arab League

I'll not write anything in caps, nor make snarky comments

Why would that have escaped me? Are you projecting? And why would you say that they are the best of friends, something you still haven't responded to . . . You do realise that they were quite hostile to one another for a very, very long time and only exchanged Ambos in 2006 . . .

Oh, that ended when they both recalled their Ambos in 2009 . . . not friendly towards one another at all . . . oh, and there's that little issue of Iraq voting Syria out of the Arab League

I'll not write anything in caps, nor make snarky comments

That's old news. Since then the Americans have all but pulled out and Maliki has effectively taken control - and he is in Teheran's pocket. So you can bet your arse Iraq will get weapons to Assad if he can't get them any other way.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect App

That's old news. Since then the Americans have all but pulled out and Maliki has effectively taken control - and he is in Teheran's pocket. So you can bet your arse Iraq will get weapons to Assad if he can't get them any other way.

Old news . . . and one man - Maliki has changed it all? In Teheran's pocket?

Good grief, how simple the world must be to you

I would take the time to explain the details to you, but I suspect it would be a waste of my time.

I am not sure what you mean by: "I would take the time to explain the details to you, but I suspect it would be a waste of my time."

I am hoping that you are not making a statement about another poster's intelligence or ability to understand, because that would be against the rules.

So, feel free to take all the time you feel you need to explain the details to us. I lived in Iraq for a number of years. I have never met Mr. Maliki, but I met with Jalal Talabani many, many times while I was there. At the time he was the head of one of the warring Kurdish factions, the PUK.

I certainly haven't kept up with the ins and outs of all the political goings on in Iraq, but an update is always appreciated and helpful.

• Like 1

I would take the time to explain the details to you, but I suspect it would be a waste of my time.

So, I have shown your comments to be false, but am quite willing to have you explain another one of your broad and clearly incorrect statements . . . and you suspect it would be a waste of time.

You do realise that is the weakest excuse you can give and shows that you have . . . nothing. Nothing but crass generalisations and pure fabrications.

You didn't address the first points and refuse to address the following ones . . . are you a Republican presidential candidate?

Best thing is to just not respond at all, no-one will follow you asking for answers