Vegetarian Festival

Sydneycraig

please refer to it as the Deep fried festival instead of insulting the chinese heritage of all of this wink.png

Nothing healthy about it.

All deep fried vegetables or tofu. Haven't seen one vegetarian raw dish served.

There are plenty of choice for that as well.

The festival gives an glimpse of the true magical east. Absolutely great festival. For once Amazing Thailand sounds like a valid marketing punchline.

The festival gives an glimpse of the true magical east. Absolutely great festival. For once Amazing Thailand sounds like a valid marketing punchline.

It's a great thing to see but why do they stick things through parts of there body? What is this true magical east thing all about?

Not Phuket, but in Ranong yesterday. My wife had to go to the bank. We were stuck for an hour, I sat in the truck to escape the noise. This guy just feet from me started rubbing his tongue on the edge of a blade. I felt like puking. Throwing crackers in the air on one corner, never mind the noise, it's a wonder they didn't take someones eyeout.

• Like 1

you must come from a town of 1000 people... all these festivals including this one looks like a preschool talent show for me

Well, I do prefer local dishes over Happy meals in plastic containers.

Today there will be the blade ladder climbing and Oil bath.. what ever those are. So it's time to go and learn what those are.. and eat some great som tam as well.

On previous years I only went to see the festival close to the 2 ladies monument.. Now I know that it has been an mistake. The town is the place to go. Don't miss it if you have a chance.

Please share sample pictures if you can.

The festival has been for me one of those moments when I once again realize how little do I know :)

When I was talking with participants and one local tourist guide at one temple and on the streets, they said that they are both Buddhist and Tao, kind of an mixture which they could not really explain. I got an impression that this same festival in Bangkok is an mixture of Buddhism and Hindu.

I suppose this is actually Nine Emperor Gods festival, which is celebrated as vegetarian festival in Thailand? There are similar festivals around Thailand, but Phuket is the main place partly as we have 35% of Chines population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Emperor_Gods_Festival

Some sources say that the festival started in Phuket 1825 when lots of people got sick and some who were vegetarians got better soon.

When the whole company grew sick from an unnamed malady, they kept to a vegetarian diet to honor two of the emperor gods, Kiew Ong Tai Teh and Yok Ong Sone Teh. The sickness afflicting the opera troupe then disappeared. This greatly interested the people of Kathu, who asked how it was done. The answer came that ritual vegetarianism with its attendant ceremonies had been the cause, with the result that people embraced the faith enthusiastically. Thus the festival began:starting the first evening of the ninth lunar month, it continued until the ninth evening; the aim was to bring good luck to individuals as well as to the community.

http://www.phuketvegetarian.com/phuketvegetarian-eng/phuketvegetarian-history.htm

I'm confused of this, but I think that's more like an norm here in Thailand :)

Wow. Great photos. I got goose bumps.

Do you have these photos somewhere with public access? I'd like to show these to my friends back home as well.