Ipad Messaging - Can't Really See The Benefit.... How Does It Work On Ipad ?

skippybangkok

The messaging in Ipad is for imessage and not SMS, you need to setup imessage from the messaging in settings, once you turn it on you can send a imessage to anybody with an apple device, if they have Ipad or ipod touch you can send only imessage by using there apple ID email address, if you send to iphone you can send by using there phone number or apple id email account, they would then reply to your apple ID

Well.... My normal email address is my apple login. Net result, if some one sends a message from any apple product , I get it as email

no

if Someone sends you a Email using your Apple login you will get a email (does not matter if its a apple device or not)

if someone sends you a iMessage using your apple login it will show in your "Messages" on the iPad and/or iPhone or Mac

you can also set up phone numbers to use it with imessage

but no SMS

Edited by nullx8

... are costing phone companies billions world wide in lost SMS revenues.

that is nonsense, you need to see the "big Picture"

SMS did never cost anything on the Provider side, so it was virtual VAS anyway as it comes with the almost 20 years old GSM 1.2 Standard.

there are still millions of users do not use Mobile internet, with introducing this apps more users will use another value added Service -> Mobile Internet.

and this will gift GSM Providers with Billions of winnings (instead of SMS loss) specially in Thailand where mobile internet is slower than a modem Connection in europe 15 Years ago.

AIS make even Huge Advertisings for the "Line App" (which is the asian counterpart to Whatsapp)

Yes, a example would be the link you posted yourself,

and instead of just reading the headlines, going trough it with some sort of understanding the social media development and the technology itself.

The writer just wanted to show off the big numbers, misses to mention that this "free apps" are not really free.

The app may be free (nothing is really free) they come with some sort of income on the developers end as well like ads or other things.

Also the delivery of the messages is not free, since you have to pay for the internet usage using the mobile network services, such as GPRS, EDGE, 3G and so on.

A permanent internet service for peoples think its "free" brings alot more money as charging for a few sms.

The market demands are simply shifting.

Its called Evolution.

Why do you think GSM Providers have own servers to provide the "Blackberry Services" ?

Sure not because they want to make some loss!

This so called "free apps" closing the gap between bb services and non-bb users are the best thing could happen to the providers of services.

While the shifting peoples will send SMS And use GPRS services, to connect with other peoples = chargethe user for 2 services. (In the bb case even 3 services)

A unlimites internet subscription costs between 600 and 1000 baht,

Eveyone needs to send more as 1000 sms/month to pay the same. And sure not everyone does that.

So the profit is more and there is no loss at all.

The big picture !

Edited by nullx8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok.... Got iPhone 5 yesterday, set it up, now my SMS 's for my iPhone come through on the iPad ......

Not sure how I did it, but that's cool. Have keyboard for iPad..... So even easier to reply

Is that all your SMS or just from people who have iPhones? When people send you from iPhone they will be sent as iMessage not SMS only if I message not work or from people who are not on iPhones are sent as SMS