Should I Get These Vaccinations?

topshot

Hey guys,

I just went to the Travel clinic and I am up on all my shots, but there are two that I did not get.

I did not get the Japanese Encephalitis and the Rabies Shot.

Are there any people over there who decided not to get these?

They are pretty expensive. JE shot is like $600, and Rabies is $520, but the nurse said it might not be necessary since I won't be going into the jungles.

I will be staying in Chiang Mai. I may visit other cities/towns (Koh Samui, Pattaya, Bangkok, Full Moon party, etc.) but I can't think of a reason I'd go into the Jungle. And I'll be sure to be aware of all animals.

Thanks!

If you are not going to be staying in rural areas then it would not be unreasonable to skip the japanese b, the resevoir for this is pigs so it is found near areas where pigs are raised.

Rabies on the other hand, I would definitely advise. lost of stray dogs everywhere are rabies is endemic here.

Man I am scared of rabies. I watched Old Yeller as a kid and that movie made me cry. :(

I will definitely get a rabies shot. I'll see if my current insurance covers it so I can get it soon. I'll be laid off at the end of the month so hopefully I can at least get one done. Or if not I'll just get it in Thailand.

Do you know the cost?

And are you serious about me just walking into any clinic?

In 2010, I received a vacination for Japanese Encephalitis from Pattaya International Hospital. I don't remember the exact cost but it was nowhere near $600. Yeah, you could skip it if you are not going to the boonies but, IMO, better safe than sorry. Can't wait for them to finish the work on a vacine for dengue!!!

I'm a staunch rabies vaccine supporter. Rabies is a horrible way to die, with 100% mortality rate for humans if not treated quickly enough.

Rabies vaccine is a course of three shots, spread out over a month. The second shot is one week after the first, and the third shot is two (or is it three?) weeks after the second. Regardless, wherever you go for the first shot, they will spell out the dates you need to return for the remainder of the injections.

I've been in Thailand for years and never had the rabies or Jap E vaccine. I haven't had the rabies vaccine because the chances of needing it are relatively low, and if you are bitten you still need some post-exposure shots whether you've had the pre-exposure shots or not. I think 5 post-exposure shots are required if you haven't haven't already had the vaccine, and 2 or 3 if you have.

In the last 3 years of travelling extensively in Thailand, I had two dogs try to nip my heel. Both had pups nearby. The first was wearing a muzzle, the second didn't achieve anything because I wear strong walking shoes and jeans. I'd feel a lot more vulnerable if I was wearing shorts and flip-flops, though. On the other hand, my companion was bitten on the neck by a monkey while on a day-trip to a historical park, so you never really know when something might happen out of the blue. She had to have the full course of 5 shots.

Edited by orientalist

I've been in Thailand for years and never had the rabies or Jap E vaccine. I haven't had the rabies vaccine because the chances of needing it are relatively low, and if you are bitten you still need some post-exposure shots whether you've had the pre-exposure shots or not. I think 5 post-exposure shots are required if you haven't haven't already had the vaccine, and 2 or 3 if you have.

Hey, you failed to mention the necessity of a human or equine gamma globulin (HRIG or ERIG) shot in addition to the 5 vaccine shots required for post exposure treatment of rabies.

As far as I am concerned one of the main reasons for having the pre exposure vaccination was to negate the use of HRIG or ERIG ( both blood products) which are sometimes difficult to obtain or not available in parts of Thailand.

sanuk

Hey, you failed to mention the necessity of a human or equine gamma globulin (HRIG or ERIG) shot in addition to the 5 vaccine shots required for post exposure treatment of rabies.

As far as I am concerned one of the main reasons for having the pre exposure vaccination was to negate the use of HRIG or ERIG ( both blood products) which are sometimes difficult to obtain or not available in parts of Thailand.

sanuk

Yes, and in addition they carry a risk of allergic reaction which can sometimes be serious. Well worth avoiding. (However for someone who did not get the pre-exposure vaccine, should not fail to get it -- the alternative is much worse).

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to watch for with any injection here is hygiene - my son has had 4-5 vaccinations here (in an international hospital in a city in Isaan, so we thought it was fairly safe) and following the last one he got an abscess. We havent had the results yet but the doctor who treated it basically said it was most likely due to lack of proper cleaning before the vaccination. He said many nurses use their hands to pick up the cotton wool swab to clean the skin and either touch it all over or squeeze it out once the cleaning liquid is on it - both of which can cause the cotton wool to become dirty from their fingers. He recommended using tongs to pick up the cotton wool as even if they washed their hands immediately before, it is easy for them to touch something and therefore they become dirty again. He said it is very rare (despite the dubious hygiene, which is why the nurses dont listen to his advice) but should never happen if proper cleaning methods are followed.

He didn't know he'd had the vaccination in the same hospital when he told me this, which is why he was so open I think!

They charged us for the cost of treating the abscess (3500baht which is expensive for Isaan) though we have applied for a refund.

Don't want to scaremonger as I'm sure many places are fine, and I would happily recommend having vaccinations here - just something to be aware of.