Two Detained In Atm “Incident” In South Pattaya

Rimmer

Two detained in ATM “incident” in South Pattaya

atm-5.jpg

PATTAYA:--Two 21 year old women were detained following an incident which occurred at a Bangkok Bank ATM located at the corner of Soi 16 on the Pratamnuk Road in South Pattaya, early on Friday morning.

The initial call to Police suggested the women had vandalized the ATM and caused the front part of the machine to come away from the rest of it. The two women, who denied damaging the machine, claimed it had swallowed their ATM card and when they tried to check the machine, the front popped-out, exposing the inner-part of the ATM.

Witnesses claimed they had tried to pull-open the front cover of the ATM in anger after their card was kept by the machine. The two women claimed they were innocent of all allegations brought against them and questioned why they would remain at the scene and not make any attempt at escape

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/63888/detained-atm-incident-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Looks like it is designed to come out like that for servicing, would expect it be released only from the rear unless there is no access from behind.

IMHO I would guess the last person to to open it up failed to secure it properly.

Basil B. My thoughts exactly. I've been responsible for filling these during my working life and normally, ideally, the cassettes (with the dosh) usually slide out from the rear but it Thailand most servicing and replenishing appears frontal. I imagine front sections then, click, lock back into position and negligence has occurred with this particular machine. They normally shut down if tilted or disturbed. Maybe we are too trusting however, who knows?

Looks like it is designed to come out like that for servicing, would expect it be released only from the rear unless there is no access from behind.

IMHO I would guess the last person to to open it up failed to secure it properly.

Yes, that is correct. I have seem the staff dealing with these many times.

They unlock & slide the top out. The trays of money are then unlocked at the bottom.

The service people only have access at the top by sliding it out, as shown.

Remember, these machines are installed in the walls of other establishments like 7/11's and here the bank people would not always have access at the rear of the machines.

If 2 women can do this much damage just How Flimsy and Secure are these Machines???

Obviously they were more clever than the two Brits (reported awhile ago on ThaiVisa) who attempted to totally remove several ATMs.

Being low on cash they, together with another Englishman named Richard, who remains at large, conceived the idea of copycatting a scene from a movie called “Fast Five” in which characters successfully stole money from ATMs by pulling them from walls using nylon rope attached to a car.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=31466

• Like 1

Pattaya One news is wrong on a few accounts - based on thai news sources.

1. The locations was Soi 16, Walking Street and not Pratamnuk Road.

2. The lady said that she hit the cancel button repeatedly to get her card back, but without luck. The screen slid out voluntarily during this process (she might have been a little heavy on the finger if you know what I mean).

3. She was able to get her ATM card back, which was lodged in the machine when it opened.

4. she wants them to review CCTV to prove she was a normal customer, and not a crook.

The original thai sources say nothing about witnesses however.

For #2, I have personally witnessed this myself with the Bangkok Bank ATMs (notably in Central Festival). They are sometimes unlocked and will slide out when pressure is placed on the keypad.

Edited by rezbin

If 2 women can do this much damage just How Flimsy and Secure are these Machines???

To myself and others we are of the opinion there is no damage, it looks like the console section has slid out like a filling Cabernet top draws, it is still working, look at the screen!

Agree not like those in western world, filled and serviced from behind, often built into bomb proof rooms...

If we were to believe everything we read on thaivisa, it would appear that the very defamation laws that is trotted out as a cop-out for not reporting FACTS of a case (especially when a "famous" person is involved) can be used by these girls to get some fair compensation for this report tarnishing their name, assuming the ATM cameras bear testimony to their version. Or are these girls not worthy of any legal protection, because the way it is reported, it implies the girls were guilty of wrongdoing.

Obviously they were more clever than the two Brits (reported awhile ago on ThaiVisa) who attempted to totally remove several ATMs.

Being low on cash they, together with another Englishman named Richard, who remains at large, conceived the idea of copycatting a scene from a movie called “Fast Five” in which characters successfully stole money from ATMs by pulling them from walls using nylon rope attached to a car.

http://www.pattayape...IdArticle=31466

In the UK they steal a JCB and rip the ATM out of the wall using that.

2. The lady said that she hit the cancel button repeatedly to get her card back, but without luck. The screen slid out voluntarily during this process (she might have been a little heavy on the finger if you know what I mean).

3. She was able to get her ATM card back, which was lodged in the machine when it opened.

4. she wants them to review CCTV to prove she was a normal customer, and not a crook.

For #2, I have personally witnessed this myself with the Bangkok Bank ATMs (notably in Central Festival). They are sometimes unlocked and will slide out when pressure is placed on the keypad.

When did they install ATMs on Soi 16??

When did they install ATMs on Soi 16??

If they got their card back, I wonder why they didn't just push the console back in and leave as the cop appears to do below ...

atm-4.jpg

If the women had been crooks, they'd have run off - with the money, if they could have reached it. Obviously, the last person to work on the machine failed to lock it - a simple bonk on the front would NEVER open it. The bank are just trying to save face by shifting blame from their incompetent staff to the two women. They should SUE Bangkok Bank for defamation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...