Short Term Internet Connection In Bangkok

bankei

Hi

I am going over to Thailand again soon, and will be taking my laptop. I want to do some work on the internet so would like my own connection rather than going to the local internet cafe.

Can anyone recomend a course of action?

Wireless broadband would be preferred. I have a phone in the apartment, but it goes through the swtichboard - ie not a direct line. So I think that would make connecting costly (tho I am not sure about this).

I will only be staying about 3 months, then coming back home for 3 months, than back again. So not sure on signing up for a contract or getting something like a prepaid kit. I will probably need around 4 hours per day connection.

I have an apartment in Bangkok Ratchada area, but will be travelling for a few weeks up country (chantaburi), so something that works up there too would be good.

Thanks in advance

Bankei

Given your situation, I think you have to either:

1) get lucky and find an unlocked wireless network reaching your apartment

2) find a locked network from a neighbor, and negotiate to pay them a little cash to let you share it

3) find some cafe, restaurant, or business center where you can get on wirelessly for a price

4) get a pre-paid GPRS SIM card

In the past while I was waiting for a phone and ADSL wire, I used the GPRS option. However, I added it on to a subscription GSM account, so I am not familiar with the pre-paid GPRS options. Others have posted about them.

Given your situation, I think you have to either:

1) get lucky and find an unlocked wireless network reaching your apartment

2) find a locked network from a neighbor, and negotiate to pay them a little cash to let you share it

3) find some cafe, restaurant, or business center where you can get on wirelessly for a price

4) get a pre-paid GPRS SIM card

In the past while I was waiting for a phone and ADSL wire, I used the GPRS option. However, I added it on to a subscription GSM account, so I am not familiar with the pre-paid GPRS options. Others have posted about them.

GPRS would be your best option if you are also going up country. In fact it's the only option unless you want to carry a satellite dish with you. Dtac, who have good coverage everywhere, offer prepay at 1 baht per minute. After buying the SIM you will need to contact the help desk *1800 and ask for GPRS to be switched on, you also need to request the I baht per minute tariff. AIS is a lot cheaper but the connection speed is slower. Buy the SIM, register with the network, add some credit, dial *138, listen to the recorded message and select your package. I hope this helps, Tim