Parking Ticket. What Happens?

cbrer

Stopped off in the post office this morning. Footpath area was full, so parked on the road.

22365423.jpg

There was two cars in front of me, starting at the green electrical box.

Came out and there was a Copper writing his ticket.

He said it was for not parking parrallel to the curb, after I pointed out that there's no 'no parking' signs or red and white curb. rolleyes.gif

A real nasty gangster type with his plate-less CB400 (no doubt 'impounded'). biggrin.png

Didn't ask for my license or anything, just gave me the ticket and went off. Very strange. Never had a ticket given to me without some sort of collateral.

20505872.jpg

I couldn't care less for a few hundred baht, but what is likely to happen if I forget to pay it. I vaguely remember that all tickets that have been registered into the computer system up when you want to renew your annual tax, or when you go to change owners at the DoLT, or something like that. I mean there must be some incentive to make people pay their parking fines, it's not like the coppers can hang around until they return to the vehicle and then take their license.

So what's the story with Parking Tickets? huh.png

Edited by cbrer

I doubt I could be bothered throwing it in the bin. It's folded up and put in a drawer where it will no doubt stay until we move house. biggrin.png

Surely there's some sort of incentive for people to pay their parking tickets though...

I doubt I could be bothered throwing it in the bin. It's folded up and put in a drawer where it will no doubt stay until we move house. biggrin.png

Surely there's some sort of incentive for people to pay their parking tickets though...

You mean civic duty is not enough? wink.png

How much is the ticket? You talk about a dishonest police officer, how much did he ask as a bribe for not writing the ticket....? Police officers who ride or drive their own vehicle often remove the civil license plate as it's not so difficult to trace the owners address...

You should stop whining, you did parked your motorcycle at the wrong place, “I was not the only one” is not a real excuse. Basically you did something wrong, you got an honest ticket and the fine is not so high yu should just pay... Your motorcycle is worth to much to find out that after 3 years your registration is suspended...

The truth is that we all hate to get a ticket, but most people who complain do so because they where accused of doing something wrong... in your case you did something wrong.

In Pattaya they normal keep the keys for the bike until the fine is paid, which means that you will have to take a MC taxi to the police station pay the fine and then go back and show the receipt to the police man and he will give you the key (if he is there, lol).

Pay the fine man, as others also advice, we are guests in this country so keeping a low profile is a good idea.

• Like 1

I don't get it, how is the footpath full? There is enough room for 30 bikes there between the trees. Also, why did you park that way? You are blocking traffic. The cop was correct, you should have parked up on the footpath, or pulled parallel to the curb so as not to be blocking traffic. The cars maybe were given tickets also. And as for his bike, you don't know why he is riding it plate less Maybe he lost the plate. My friend lost his plate, did the police report, and was told at the DLT that he has to wait 2-3 months for a replacement. In the mean time he has a receipt to show police that he already ordered a replacement.

Sorry buddy, you did something wrong, a policeman did his job by citing you for it and not asking for a bribe. You are just looking for anything he did wrong. Just pay the ticket. You broke the law once, don't do it again by not paying and contributing to the general problem of tickets and bribes. Maybe cops take bribes because most people won't pay if they give them a ticket. You can even do it at the ATM. I believe that if he enters it properly, it should flag your registration when you go to renew. The other poster just got lucky.

I don't get it, how is the footpath full? There is enough room for 30 bikes there between the trees.

Parking on the footpath is a citeable offense.

The MPB is planning to strictly crack down against motorists for 13 other offences: racing on public roads; excessive speed, unsafe overtaking, drunk driving, travelling the wrong way up, not wearing a crash helmet, double parking, no licence plates, excessive toxic fumes, illegal parking, parking on a footpath, driving along a footpath, and taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers. Traffic offenders will receive a warning ticket for a first-time offence and if they repeat the offence, they will be fined at the maximum rate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Taxi-drivers-unhappy-about-crackdown-30189573.html

I don't get it, how is the footpath full? There is enough room for 30 bikes there between the trees.

The MPB is planning to strictly crack down against motorists for 13 other offences: racing on public roads; excessive speed, unsafe overtaking, drunk driving, travelling the wrong way up, not wearing a crash helmet, double parking, no licence plates, excessive toxic fumes, illegal parking, parking on a footpath, driving along a footpath, and taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers. Traffic offenders will receive a warning ticket for a first-time offence and if they repeat the offence, they will be fined at the maximum rate.

http://www.nationmul...n-30189573.html

Is it? I didn't know that. I have never heard of anyone being cited for parking on the footpath. Maybe that is for cars and not bikes, as it is legal for bikes to drive on the footpath if the roadway is blocked or there is heavy traffic congestion. You see plenty of bikes parked on the footpath, including police, who park their police and personal bikes on the path next to their police boxes.

You also see police riding the wrong way down a street with no helmet on, perhaps with their child sitting on the gas tank on the way to school.

I wouldn't take what the Thai Police do as a yardstick for what is legal and not. biggrin.png

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

You also see police riding the wrong way down a street with no helmet on, perhaps with their child sitting on the gas tank on the way to school.

I wouldn't take what the Thai Police do as a yardstick for what is legal and not. biggrin.png

Ha ha, very true, but I just wonder if the parking on footpaths is for cars, not bikes. How can we find out? Can't ask a cop, they don't know.

Of course it is. As mostly you should not confuse "tolerated" and "allowed".

Sounds very good. But as we know, TiT and nothing will happen biggrin.png

You asked what happens … if you not pay, you will need to pay after one year or when you transfer the motorcycle to another name. If the transfer to another name is within 3 months you just have to pay the original ticket fine. If your renewal is within a year after you get the ticket you likely hear nothing about the fine, only if you ask... After one year is past and you still didn't pay the fine you the person who does the renewal will tell you as she cannot renew your registration without paying the fine, the fine is now the original value plus 1,000 THB and administration cost... So say you not have that money on you so you try to get away with not paying the fine + penalty, what is possible if you say you do that in a few days at the police station... the DLT officer gives you a small paper often handwritten and processes your renewal. Now if you not go within a few days to the police station to pay the fine plus penalty and some extra administration costs...

You will be very disappointed the next time you want to renew your motorcycle, they keep your registration papers and tell you that they cannot help you... go to counter X, at counter X they say go to counter F, maybe even somebody will say contact the police station... in the end you have a new motorcycle which is not registered anymore and around that time you think back to this moment and say to yourself why I didn't listen to those guys on Thaivisa who said pay the few hundred Baht fine...

Anyway as always people not tell the whole truth, first who parks his motorcycle like this on Phahon Yothin road like this, without having a licenses plate on his shiny motorcycle that is asking for police attention... so go quickly to Bang Khen police station and pay the fine.....

Of course it is. As mostly you should not confuse "tolerated" and "allowed".

Sounds very good. But as we know, TiT and nothing will happen biggrin.png

Actually, a lot has happened.

ie, the ban on police road checks during the day.

Quite a significant move.

Which no doubt has had a knock on effect of tickets for offences that were previously left go, in order to keep up revenue.

first who parks his motorcycle like this on Phahon Yothin road like this,

Not me. I was parked behind two cars that were wider than my parked bike. There is no signage to signify that parking on the road is prohibited. Parking on the footpath is an offense.

without having a licenses plate on his shiny motorcycle that is asking for police attention...

Who are you talking about? I've had a license plate on my bike for almost 2 years.

first who parks his motorcycle like this on Phahon Yothin road like this,

Not me. I was parked behind two cars that were wider than my parked bike. There is no signage to signify that parking on the road is prohibited. Parking on the footpath is an offense.

without having a licenses plate on his shiny motorcycle that is asking for police attention...

Who are you talking about? I've had a license plate on my bike for almost 2 years.

According to the ticket, you also got fined for not having a valid license plate... So maybe you should look at the back of your motorcycle if it's still there or talk to the police station that the officer made a mistake...

• 5 weeks later...

I love Thailand, land of lies, theft and corruption.

I live in Phang Nga province. On 13 July I was in Phuket town and as I was unsure of where I could park I asked a traffic warden in the street. He said yes I could park there. I should have asked if I would get a ticket if I parked there, not if it was OK, as 20 minutes later on returning to the car I had a ticket!

I went immediately to the main police station in Phuket town and paid the 600 Baht fine. The female officer gave me a receipt. Not having received a parking ticket before in Thailand, I just assumed that was the end of the matter.

Today, on attempting to re-tax our car, I am told I have to go to Phuket police station and pay an outstanding parking fine for 13th July. The lovely lady obviously gave me an "unofficial" receipt and pocketed my 600 Baht, so I have to pay again! Probably also get a fine for late payment.

be a good man and just pay it man,

and what i see, you parked your bike like the king of the town by the way. not even parallel!

So, i am sure they fined you just because you are not considerate enough as your parking style looks arrogant :)

And, if you do no pay, as stated by the others, it will appear in the computerized system while paying tax etc.

I love Thailand, land of lies, theft and corruption.

I live in Phang Nga province. On 13 July I was in Phuket town and as I was unsure of where I could park I asked a traffic warden in the street. He said yes I could park there. I should have asked if I would get a ticket if I parked there, not if it was OK, as 20 minutes later on returning to the car I had a ticket!

I went immediately to the main police station in Phuket town and paid the 600 Baht fine. The female officer gave me a receipt. Not having received a parking ticket before in Thailand, I just assumed that was the end of the matter.

Today, on attempting to re-tax our car, I am told I have to go to Phuket police station and pay an outstanding parking fine for 13th July. The lovely lady obviously gave me an "unofficial" receipt and pocketed my 600 Baht, so I have to pay again! Probably also get a fine for late payment.

Hard to believe you were cheated at the police station while paying your fine. Most likely there was a mistake in transfering/entering the numbers or whatever. Just take your receipt with you and tell them.

Wantan, you were right. We had actually lost the receipt, but eventually, after 1 1/2 hours discussion in five different departments and 3 phone calls to the insurance company - and refusing to let my husband pay the fine again when he offered - they checked their files at his request. They located the ticket issue info, agreed the fine had been paid, gave us a letter to give the insurance company confirming it and that was it. However, we are keeping a copy of the letter just in case the info is still not updated correctly and the same thing crops up again next year!

• 1 month later...